$36.99 - Microsoft 360 Wireless Controller for Windows

There was a rumor going around these are being discontinued. When I got mine, I was told, get em while you can....

Pretty good deal. I would buy one but I already have a wired one I use. Wish I went with this instead oh well.

Do these automatically turn off? I wish I could find a wired one.

I always have an issue with my 360 wireless version (Using the same receiver)... If I don't keep it on by moving a stick now and then, BF3 tends to not see it and if I jump in a vehicle I can't move or get out. Only fix is to suicide and make sure it's off so I can move on spawn.

Great kit.

I have three of these things and couldn't imagine playing certain games without this controller.

Do these automatically turn off? I wish I could find a wired one.

I always have an issue with my 360 wireless version (Using the same receiver)... If I don't keep it on by moving a stick now and then, BF3 tends to not see it and if I jump in a vehicle I can't move or get out. Only fix is to suicide and make sure it's off so I can move on spawn.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16874103205

I bought a madcatz one from bestbuy.

I heard its an issue right now supposidly with wireless 360 controllers and bf3.

yeah wired controllers are hard to find now. amazon has them for $28. i have one of the wireless ones with windows dongle that i got like a month ago, but i wanted a second controller to be able to play with my girlfriend and figured id get this and use the other dongle to play some simple games on my htpc. i mean, if consoles are using gpus from 7 years ago then i should be able to find something that will run ok and use a controller. :)

/\ there is no point in making a specific wired 360 controller for pc as the regular 360 controller is technically plug and play USB. the only difference in the past was the pc controller came with a driver disk which is not really needed. I did dl the drivers from Microsoft's site and install them before plugging in my 360 controller to the pc but again its not necessary from what I understand.

no way would I fool with the wireless controller though because of batteries and it has issues with some games. if you have never had any problems all that means is that you did not play the games that have issues such as Assassins Creed ( I think just 1 and 2) and Splinter Cell Conviction.

Last edited:
/\ there is no point in making a specific wired 360 controller for pc as the regular 360 controller is technically plug and play USB. the only difference in the past was the pc controller came with a driver disk which is not really needed. I did dl the drivers from Microsoft's site and install them before plugging in my 360 controller to the pc but again its not necessary from what I understand.

no way would I fool with the wireless controller though because of batteries and it has issues with some games. if you have never had any problems all that means is that you did not play the games that have issues such as Assassins Creed ( I think just 1 and 2) and Splinter Cell Conviction.

ive only played a few games with it so far and have had no problems. i prefer mouse and keyboard obviously but i just use it for being able to play sitting up in bed with a few games like tomb raider and prince of persia that its better for. basically i only use it for console port adventure games. i do have the splinter cell games in my queue so might have to play conviction on mouse/kb. no plans to play AC any time soon because the first one seemed shitty for the hour or so i tried it once. i hope there arent too many other games with problems.

i wasnt talking about a specific wired controller for windows. i was just saying that in general they are hard to find since everyone wants wireless. i dont think ive seen them stocked in any B&Ms in a year at least. still not to hard to find online though like amazon or ebay.

oh I see now and yeah even BB only gets a few wired controllers from time to time. most of the time when I was looking for one they were out of stock. they pretty much said what you did which is nobody really wants the wired so there is not much need in stocking them.

Spend the cash and get the rechargeable pack for it. so much nicer when you game with it a lot. I own both wired and wireless and love the interchangeability between 360 and pc's.

Spend the cash and get the rechargeable pack for it. so much nicer when you game with it a lot. I own both wired and wireless and love the interchangeability between 360 and pc's.

You can also pick up some rechargeable batteries for not too much. Bought my 4 pack of energizer AA batteries and charger for only $6.99. They have worked great on the 360 controller. Assume they would be about the same on the PC version.

But anyways, does this controller work on most adventure/rpg games released recently?

I'm trying to understand what the advantage to this is over a regular 360 controller. What is the difference?(other than being wired)

A couple months ago I plugged a Xbox controller wireless receiver into my HTPC, and just been using a standard 360 controller with it. Its worked well for me so far. For games that have built in support for the controller, like Portal 2, it works without issue. For games that don't have built in 360 controller support, like MW2 or MW3, I've been using Xpadder.(I have some friends and family that are lost when forced to game with a KBM setup) The latter took some tweaking to get working well, but it wasn't a huge deal.

The deal is that this is the wireless controller for Windows. It works with Windows and the Xbox 360. It comes with the microsoft dongle which allows you to use it with windows. The only other way to get the dongle is spend $19+ on ebay for a non microsoft certified one. The $9 dongles have problems: drop signal, lack 64-bit support. Even the expensive (Chinese manufactured) versions have issues.

If you want a PC controller without the hassle or were in the market for a spare Xbox360 controller, with the perk of being usable on the PC, this is great.

Finally something to use my google offer code on!

Newegg's deals have been so bad lately I was worried I wasn't going to find anything to use it on before it expired.

A little odd that MS would discontinue these. At least make small runs of them. I have two wireless and two wired. I love them! I should grab one of these in black for the 360 in my livingroom.

A little odd that MS would discontinue these. At least make small runs of them. I have two wireless and two wired. I love them! I should grab one of these in black for the 360 in my livingroom.

Most people think the new Xbox will be announced sometime this year, so maybe they are preparing for a newer version?

Well if they discontinue them, then your only option is to buy the Chinese unlicensed receivers for your PC. I myself use a wired controller on Windows. Used to have one of these buy my dog ate the receiver.

I'm trying to understand what the advantage to this is over a regular 360 controller. What is the difference?(other than being wired)

A couple months ago I plugged a Xbox controller wireless receiver into my HTPC, and just been using a standard 360 controller with it. Its worked well for me so far. For games that have built in support for the controller, like Portal 2, it works without issue. For games that don't have built in 360 controller support, like MW2 or MW3, I've been using Xpadder.(I have some friends and family that are lost when forced to game with a KBM setup) The latter took some tweaking to get working well, but it wasn't a huge deal.

it's the same controller, just comes with the receiver so you can use it on the PC.
I bought the white Official MS receiver a few years ago and just bought this black setup from Amazon the other day for $43.99. Newegg was at list price when I ordered it. I should have waited, but you never know when the price will drop.

Amazon just matched the price for those that might want to buy it from there.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Most people think the new Xbox will be announced sometime this year, so maybe they are preparing for a newer version?
When I think back, aside from a few online retailers, the controller with the PC dongle was never that easy to find. Folks were talking about Microsoft discontinuing the controller for over a year now.

So, I'm an idiot and I placed the order and forgot to use the code. I had a $40 gift card from Google that I needed to use and focused on applying that code.

Self.SlapUpsideHead(strength.hard)

I get annoyed with the wireless controller for windows because to turn it on, you have to hold down the Xbox button in the middle, and that turns on my Xbox 360 every time. I have to unplug my 360 so it doesn't turn on.

I get annoyed with the wireless controller for windows because to turn it on, you have to hold down the Xbox button in the middle, and that turns on my Xbox 360 every time. I have to unplug my 360 so it doesn't turn on.

i thought the controller turns on if you just press and release it once?

thanks, it's about time I upgrade, my controller has seen one too many Battlefield1943 skirmishes.

This is user error, you need to sync it separately with the dongle so it doesn't turn on your 360. I have the PC receiver and 360 almost side by side and it never turns on the incorrect device as my controllers are synched correctly. (one with the 360, one with PC).

besides, you cannot sync a controller to two different devices at the same time. So, I don't even get why your issue takes place.

This is user error, you need to sync it separately with the dongle so it doesn't turn on your 360. I have the PC receiver and 360 almost side by side and it never turns on the incorrect device as my controllers are synched correctly. (one with the 360, one with PC).

besides, you cannot sync a controller to two different devices at the same time. So, I don't even get why your issue takes place.

Ya, I don't have that issue and have an xbox as well as 2 PC dongles with controllers.

Ya, I don't have that issue and have an xbox as well as 2 PC dongles with controllers.

i think hes probably using the same controller for both devices. i could see it being a hassle to have to sync it with the correct device every time. i think if you have it synced to your xbox and want to switch it to your windows receiver, then youre gonna have to turn on the controller to sync it, which turns on the xbox. and i dont think theres anything you can do about that other than getting a second controller and syncing one to each device. :/

Sold out on newegg. Amazon raised their price back up as well and appears to be sold out for a few more days.

Back