So my buddy at work wants to build his next computer. He currently has some Frankencomp that started off life as an eMachine 5 or 6 years ago. I don't think anything can be salvaged. It probably has an IDE DVD burner.
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing, light photo and video editing, may get into gaming in the future, but can spring for $50 to $100 on a GPU when and if that time comes
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$350 --- $300 of that must be spent at Amazon because of gift cards. I think he has Amazon Prime as well so most shipping should be free. It doesn't have to be Prime Eligible though if it's cheaper through a partner.
3) Where do you live?
Omaha (no Microcenter or Frys)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Case, Power Supply, Hard Drive (1TB+), DVD Drive, Graphics Card Possibly
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19-22 (not sure on exact resolution)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
USB 3.0 preferred
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No (not included in the $350 budget.)
So here's what I'm thinking so far:
$125 - Intel Core i3-2100
$28 - Kingston Technology 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM STD Height 30mm SDRAM KVR1333D3N9H/4G
$65 - Biostar H61MU3 H61 Micro ATX (has USB 3.0)
$60 - Samsung F3 1TB 7200 RPM (Newegg since Amazon isn't nice to hard drives)
$20 - Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B - Bulk
$40 - Antec EA-380D
Case Ideas:
$40 - NZXT Source 210 (Black)
$40 - NZXT Source 210 (White)
$36 - NZXT Gamma
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 371 Mid Tower
$40 - Thermaltake V3
Total: $378
So I need to trim it by at least $28. I could get a case with a power supply like this
$60 - Cooler Master RC-310-BKR2 Elite 310 with 420w Power Supply
But I really don't like to do that. I could also look into a Pentium G850
$95 - Intel Pentium G850
I could also go AMD and lightly OC it for him, though it doesn't save any money over the Core i3 2100 unless we use his old DVD burner since this motherboard has an IDE port:
$120 - Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz
$70 - Biostar A880GU3 (has USB 3.0)
So, thoughts? Have I missed any great deals on Amazon?
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Web browsing, light photo and video editing, may get into gaming in the future, but can spring for $50 to $100 on a GPU when and if that time comes
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$350 --- $300 of that must be spent at Amazon because of gift cards. I think he has Amazon Prime as well so most shipping should be free. It doesn't have to be Prime Eligible though if it's cheaper through a partner.
3) Where do you live?
Omaha (no Microcenter or Frys)
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU, Motherboard, RAM, Case, Power Supply, Hard Drive (1TB+), DVD Drive, Graphics Card Possibly
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
None
6) Will you be overclocking?
Probably not
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19-22 (not sure on exact resolution)
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the week
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.
USB 3.0 preferred
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No (not included in the $350 budget.)
So here's what I'm thinking so far:
$125 - Intel Core i3-2100
$28 - Kingston Technology 4 GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM STD Height 30mm SDRAM KVR1333D3N9H/4G
$65 - Biostar H61MU3 H61 Micro ATX (has USB 3.0)
$60 - Samsung F3 1TB 7200 RPM (Newegg since Amazon isn't nice to hard drives)
$20 - Sony 24X SATA Internal DVD+/-RW Drive AD-7260S-0B - Bulk
$40 - Antec EA-380D
Case Ideas:
$40 - NZXT Source 210 (Black)
$40 - NZXT Source 210 (White)
$36 - NZXT Gamma
$40 - Cooler Master Elite 371 Mid Tower
$40 - Thermaltake V3
Total: $378
So I need to trim it by at least $28. I could get a case with a power supply like this
$60 - Cooler Master RC-310-BKR2 Elite 310 with 420w Power Supply
But I really don't like to do that. I could also look into a Pentium G850
$95 - Intel Pentium G850
I could also go AMD and lightly OC it for him, though it doesn't save any money over the Core i3 2100 unless we use his old DVD burner since this motherboard has an IDE port:
$120 - Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2GHz
$70 - Biostar A880GU3 (has USB 3.0)
So, thoughts? Have I missed any great deals on Amazon?
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.