34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Does the game Dishonored have native 21:9 resolution support?
It appears to work just fine in 21:9 from a quick look. I did not see any cropping or zooming in and it seemed to just add more to the sides just like we would want to see.

Just ordered the 95-P model from newegg for use in the system in my sig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005635

Primary purpose: Gaming (WarThunder, GuildWars2, FarCry3, Arma 3, Men Of War Series, Wargame RedDragon/AirLand Battle, SimCity 5, etc)
Secondary Uses: Normal websurfing, a little video editing, very little movie watching.

It takes me a while to get things. I live overseas so I buy on Newegg, have the stuff sent to a friend back in the USA, and he FedEx's to me in euroland. But as soon as it shows up, I will start a new thread about my experience gaming on the LG vs the "regular" 2560 x 1440 monitor I have.

So if any of you ordered from b&h can you post here if they sent it to you all ready?
They were saying 30th oh June so I'm curious.

Thanks.

Just ordered the 95-P model from newegg for use in the system in my sig.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824005635

Primary purpose: Gaming (WarThunder, GuildWars2, FarCry3, Arma 3, Men Of War Series, Wargame RedDragon/AirLand Battle, SimCity 5, etc)
Secondary Uses: Normal websurfing, a little video editing, very little movie watching.

It takes me a while to get things. I live overseas so I buy on Newegg, have the stuff sent to a friend back in the USA, and he FedEx's to me in euroland. But as soon as it shows up, I will start a new thread about my experience gaming on the LG vs the "regular" 2560 x 1440 monitor I have.

Not so sure if you did the right thing of buying it at Newegg. In german shops the display is at 920 euro. That is about $1200. Considering the cost of shipping (I assume you have to cover the costs and your friend does not ship it for free) and the lack of any warranty - because I doubt LG branch in your country will honor the US warranty, and shipping back the unit will be costly, the $200 difference might not be worth it.

So if any of you ordered from b&h can you post here if they sent it to you all ready?

Thanks.

I ordered mine 5/23 from B&H and it still says "on order" in my account. I also sent our rep an email so hoping she gets back to me soon.

Not so sure if you did the right thing of buying it at Newegg. In german shops the display is at 920 euro. That is about $1200. Considering the cost of shipping (I assume you have to cover the costs and your friend does not ship it for free) and the lack of any warranty - because I doubt LG branch in your country will honor the US warranty, and shipping back the unit will be costly, the $200 difference might not be worth it.

Actually the shipping from USA to Euroland is free (I work for FedEX :)

But I do have to deal with VAT, so when I do this, I always have my friend remove the original invoice and write the value on the customs form very low :)

But yeah, if it breaks over here, then, agreed, I am screwed.

Its actually 929 on the German site now:
http://www.atelco.de/en/86+cm+(34)/143488/LG+34UM95-P.article

I wish I had seen this before, because yeah, paying 1200 USD and being able to test the monitor now instead of paying 1000 USD + 100 VAT and being able to test the monitor in a week (and having no warrantee, as you said), is NOT smart. I messed up here!

I would have bought it here in Germany but last time I checked the ATELCO site, it said the monitor would not be available until late July. So i my case, it wasn't really about the 100 USD I was trying to save but more I wanted the monitor sooner than later. Sadly, it turns out I could be using it sooner if I had waited until today and ordered it from ATELCO :( Too late, cant cancel my newegg order as its in the "packing" stage.

Last edited:
For all you who have it on order from B&H:

B&H Rep said:
I apologize for any inconvenience.

Per B&H’s website, LG34UM95 is a pre order item and is being released in limited quantities.

This means that B&H can only receive a certain amount at a time from the manufacturer.

As a result, we ship out this item on a first-come first-serves basis.

Would you like to continue to wait for this item?

I'm pretty sure that I will have to RMA mine. The glow on the bottom corners is pretty bad and it is noticeable on the top corners. Mine has a May manufacturing date. Should I send it to Newegg or LG? Anyone have experience with either?

Other than the glow problem I absolutely love this screen.

I'm pretty sure that I will have to RMA mine. The glow on the bottom corners is pretty bad and it is noticeable on the top corners. Mine has a May manufacturing date. Should I send it to Newegg or LG? Anyone have experience with either?

Other than the glow problem I absolutely love this screen.

Mines sitting in the box waiting for the purolator guy to show up. Hooked up the U3011, what a let down...also the eye burn....I hope I don't have to wait for a replacement for my RMA to long.

Miss my 21:9 loving already.

Thanks.

I have a pre-order collecting dust with them as well. I ordered on May 16th :)
Their estimate changed today and now says July 7th

I'm pretty sure that I will have to RMA mine. The glow on the bottom corners is pretty bad and it is noticeable on the top corners.

RMA for IPS glow? LG will send it back and claim the IPS glow is within spec. Turn the lights off and stand 6ft away when viewing a black screen to make sure it is IPS glow instead of light bleed. If you keep the brightness cranked in a dark room, you will have the same experience with 99% of large AHVA/IPS/PLS panels. Consider getting a brighter light (Philips Daylight/6500k 1600-2600 lumen CFL) if you want to keep the brightness cranked or putting a lamp with a dimmer light (800-1300 lumen) behind the monitor instead of sitting in the dark.

The Eizo EV2736W (Info and Review links) is glow free.

Does anyone here know how to watch movies with 21:9 ratio? And how about Netflix or Amazon?

I gave up on my B&H pre-order and just went with Newegg. It shipped today. I just hope I get one without issues.

AOC u3477Pqu official Euro product page and spec-sheet is now up..

http://www.aoc-europe.com/no_cache/en/monitors.html?useCacheHash=1&showUid=362

http://www.aoc-europe.com/PDF-Generator/aoc.pdml.php?uid=362&ts=1403718043 (PDF)

*Available in August*

yBk9IsZ.jpg

Sports! :D

Yea I'll take this one over the LG. Looks nicer better stand . Plugs face down for better mounting and 3 year warrenty . Hope the price is lower also :)

Aside from wsgf for gaming, there's hardly any information about displaying media at 21:9. As I understand it, we can use certain media players to play movies at this aspect ratio. But what about streaming such as Netflix or Amazon?

The monitor stand is beautiful and look stronger + more expensive than the LG one. If I can get my money back from the "broken" LG 34UM95 then I think I may wait for this one.

Anyone know how AOC as a brand and how is their RMA service? I never hear about this brand untill recently.

I've heard of AoC in recent years. Are they a Korean brand? Couldn't find out on their site.

Not sure how their general reliability is compared to LG, Dell, Asus, etc.

Does anyone here know how to watch movies with 21:9 ratio? And how about Netflix or Amazon?

Didn't see any info pertaining to gloss or matte screen on the AOC?[/QUOTE]"]Good article by PC Monitors about using 21:9 monitors.

Didn't see any info pertaining to gloss or matte screen on the AOC?

If anyone makes a glossy 34" it will likely be Acer or HP, but both companies only put glossy coatings on their low end IPS. I doubt we will see glossy Korean 34" either since their 21:9 monitors either use matte or glass which makes blacks look gray.

Last edited:
Man what is up with manufacturers making useless stands these days. All form and no function.

AoC stand looks more functional than the LG's (I personally don't care how either "look", unless they're painted hot pink or something...).

Though I couldn't wait till august to try out this tech.

On AoC's website it says:
Inputs: D-SUB, DVI-D, HDMI

Does that mean no Display Port? That's kind of...so very not 2014.

[edit]
A Display Port is mentioned under Special Features instead of Inputs. Bit misleading.
[/edit]

But nothing about having Netflix or Amazon to go 21:9?

I'm going to guess they won't do 21:9 because there feeds are none anamorphic. You could try and do a search for CIH or constant image height . See what people with CIH screens do when it comes to Netflix and Amazon play back on 21:9 theater screens. Try AVS Forums.

Netflix doesn't fill the screen even if the content is 21:9. :(

Set your output to 1920x1080 (or 2560x1440 if you have > 1080p content) and choose the monitor ratio "Cinema 1". It will do the appropriate scaling/cropping. It's glorious.

Set your output to 1920x1080 (or 2560x1440 if you have > 1080p content) and choose the monitor ratio "Cinema 1". It will do the appropriate scaling/cropping. It's glorious.
Thank you very much. So we have to change monitor resolution. I wonder if I could tie a browser plug-in to flawless widescreen or something.

So conflicted on the variety of monitor choices in the market! I'm running a single 780ti mini-itx with a korean 1440 monitor. I doubt I would join the 4k monitor trend because of the limitation of a mini-itx and single slot GPU. Maybe when I move back into a full a tower. But WOW, I am conflicted between the LG/AOC or the Asus Swift. Immersive IPS vs G-Sync fast response TN.

I regularly follow MassDrop for interesting items, and recently completed a community vote that the LG 34UM96 won. The staff at Massdrop are currently pitching their sales to LG and trying to get a group discount. It's not officially accepted by LG yet, but I also doubt it would be any bigger discount than BH. Just thought you guys would be interested to know.

So conflicted on the variety of monitor choices in the market! I'm running a single 780ti mini-itx with a korean 1440 monitor. I doubt I would join the 4k monitor trend because of the limitation of a mini-itx and single slot GPU. Maybe when I move back into a full a tower. But WOW, I am conflicted between the LG/AOC or the Asus Swift. Immersive IPS vs G-Sync fast response TN.

I regularly follow MassDrop for interesting items, and recently completed a community vote that the LG 34UM96 won. The staff at Massdrop are currently pitching their sales to LG and trying to get a group discount. It's not officially accepted by LG yet, but I also doubt it would be any bigger discount than BH. Just thought you guys would be interested to know.

I'd been planning on getting the ROG Swift since January but the Thunderbolt port on the 34UM95 was the nail in the coffin, as I use a MBP for work along with my gaming PC. I gotta say, the extra FOV is nice in games.

And something new to add to the confusion. I just got press release from Philips, that during IFA they will show the 21:9 4K (3440x1440) display in...32 and 40 inches size.

40 inches 21:9 sounds so good, that it would be epic screen :) they didn't mention aviability or price, only that they will show it between 5th and 10th September in Berlin. As I'm going to IFA, I'll make some pictures and talk to Philips guys and give you "moar infoz"

So with august release of AOC and September's Philips show it will be interesting time for consumers, price war wil surely start, so if you don't have to buy itatonce and can wait 2 more months, I'd wait :)

And something new to add to the confusion. I just got press release from Philips, that during IFA they will show the 21:9 4K (3440x1440) display in...32 and 40 inches size.

40 inches 21:9 sounds so good, that it would be epic screen :) they didn't mention aviability or price, only that they will show it between 5th and 10th September in Berlin. As I'm going to IFA, I'll make some pictures and talk to Philips guys and give you "moar infoz"

So with august release of AOC and September's Philips show it will be interesting time for consumers, price war wil surely start, so if you don't have to buy itatonce and can wait 2 more months, I'd wait :)

Interesting, although true 4K in 21:9 aspect ratio would actually be 5120x2160. Would be amazing if the 40" was that res.

3440x1440 at 40" would bring down the PPI too much though IMO...

That is really bad news for people who want to buy a new monitor.

Now they don't know which one to choose lol. the 40 Inches sound really interesting but maybe its too big for me. I guess the Philips one will be release next year since it only show on September 2014.

The price is going down right now. You can get the LG 34UM95 for only 899EU at Amazon.de....hopefully its the June 2014 one.

Back