34" 21:9 UltraWide Displays (3440x1440) - LG UM95/UM65 & Dell U3415W

Yes, it would. That particular 750 Ti has a DisplayPort connection you can run the LG off of, and a DVI connection for the Dell. (Some 750 Ti's don't have the DisplayPort connection, for whatever reason.)

Thanks. I'll make sure the video car i get has a displayport

How is the operation through HDMI? Both for desktop and for games? I know you can't get 60 Hz through HDMI, but I've read that 49 Hz works.

I posted a couple posts above that its not very good. If you can get 49Hz it may be better, but not on 30.

Did you do the test in native res or something else? If it wasn't in native res, you're going to be kicking in the scaler, which will introduce lag.

I used 1080p non-scaled to take the pictures. And I really don't think this is a factor, as the input lag bothered me in native resolution first. I don't have pictures for both, but the "noticeable" input lag was the same.

Anyone know if this has pixel overdrive similar to the 29" version? Doesn't say on their website...

I've always been on the fence between the 34UM95 and the 39" Seiki. I don't game, but still, I hate know ing the best that monitor can do is 30hz at 4k. On the other hand, the price is sweet. $500! What to do what to do.

I had the Seiki and I really enjoyed it but it was a Tad to large and the 30hz became cumbersome after extended use. The Seiki's 120hz 1080p mode was great for old skool fps like Halo CE, but lacking on more modern FPS which offer a lot of detail. In the end I sent my Seiki back, tried the U28D590 and sent that back and tried the Dell UP2414Q and sent that back and now will stick with the 34UM95 as my go to display for the next couple of years

I've always been on the fence between the 34UM95 and the 39" Seiki. I don't game, but still, I hate know ing the best that monitor can do is 30hz at 4k. On the other hand, the price is sweet. $500! What to do what to do.

Dude think about this for one more second.... 30hz. 30. You will never play more than 30fps, which quite honestly is choppy as hell. You cant be happy with that.

Apologies for the copypasta but I posted this writeup on another board, may be of use here too!

KLtJr1v.jpg

Box
Huge. Way bigger than I was expecting. Mine didn't come wrapped in padding on the outside like some other folks did in the USA though, just wrapped in white plastic on the outside then the box.

Accessories
I got a HDMI lead and Displayport but since I recently bought one and already had it wired up I never unwrapped the bundled cables.

The stand is actually metal, the only plastic bit is the trim panel parts along the top. It's quite heavy too. In videos and pics I've seen online it looks plastic. I threw that back in the box because I wasn't going to use it.

3QSSXPA.jpg

^The VESA mounting area comes with a protective sticker that you place over the casing and then mount the desk arm plate on to. Protects the case from scratches, a nice touch I thought.

The screen
It's huge. bigger than I thought it would be in fact and it's heavy. It comes with a little energy star sticker on the bottom glossy plastic bezel bit (the only bit of bezel on the front really) and as I peeled it off it left a residue. I started to wipe off the residue and noticed that the glossy black plastic area was becoming marred/cobwebbed like black plastic does once it ages. I hate that and it's a shame.
Picture of that area below:
PKteqpd.jpg

Why give you a protective sticker for the VESA mount and then put a sticker on the bezel which leaves residue? Kind of a half-assed oversight in my books. I'll end up brushing the whole strip so it's matte instead of glossy in time though so it won't be an issue again.

inlpPbF.jpg

^I also noticed the LG logo isn't exactly in the middle in line with the power LED and joystick button, minor nitpick and most people wouldn't even care, I don't either but this is the kind of thing I tend to notice on stuff generally :p

I really like the rear facing connection ports too. I have always hated the ports facing downwards and this is just nice and it all works especially as I am using a monitor arm.

qUfiKZ0.jpg

^The amount of AG coating is lower than on the Dell U2713HM I had. It's not glossy but it's not matte enough to cause snow on solid light colours. The U2713HM was an improvement over previous Dell screens (U2412M which I also had) in terms of AG coating

On my desk it's 2 inches shorter than my mousing surface, the Boogiebug XL - That will give some of you an idea of how much desk width this thing takes up!

The button and OSD
Only 1 button and it's a directional pad joystick thing which I found works really well. It's nice to see you can turn off the power LED too.

Out of the box colours
To my eyes they looked quite warm. I then went into the OSD and noticed the colour was set to custom and each slider was set to 50% for R G and B.

mg9nD0r.jpg

^I plugged in the i1 Display colorimeter and loaded up the LG True Color Finder software. It remains in the system tray and will periodically check to see the monitor is still there to send data to post calibration. This is useful and I'll go into that later.

HbFvD23.jpg

^I ran a calibration using user specified settings. The software is quite similar to other calibration software but doesn't really go into any deep detail with reporting or trends like Lacie Blue Eye Pro or even Xrite's/Datacolor's own software, no big deal, This monitor has it's own LUT built in and the LG software plugs into that. You specify your desired colour temp, luminance and a few other bits and hit calibrate. The monitor locks out the OSD during this and enables the "Calibration" mode in the OSD (it only becomes selectable once you install the LG software and run a calibration).

What this mode does is locks the OSD settings for brightness and colour and the LG software sitting in the system tray will keep an eye on this and restore if needed. I noticed that the software also creates an icc profile in Windows and assigns it to the screen and disabling it in Windows made no visual difference to the calibration which is expected since the monitor has had the correct settings sent to it directly. I guess the icc profile is applied anyway for those gfx cards/systems not supporting monitor control.

Calibration took about 7 minutes.

Usage
I've now changed my workflow in Lightroom and Photoshop a bit as the extra resolution on the wide end means I can mimic dual screens on this one screen and then some. Start menu has gone to the left and my Lightroom/Photoshop layout look one of a few ways depending on what I'm processing:

SLx9wCJ.jpg

W0kAhL4.jpg

VWgekl2.jpg

Gaming

gUX78ra.jpg

^Grid 2 max everything, perfect fps with vsync on is locked at 50fps for some reason, seems that game or some games will select a fixed refresh rate, in this case 50 when vsync is in use. Vsync off I get 120fps. TF2 gets 150-200~ fps max everything with 4xmsaa even in heated battles on a full server. Recording in Fraps at half res (1720x720) was perfect, was recording TF2 battles with the game running at 120fps.

My system is a 3770K @ 4.6GHz, 16GB 1600MHz RAM and a single GTX 780.

So far those are the games I've played, been toying with the screen all other times though and I am very very impressed. I have Wolfenstein on pre-order so looking forward to seeing how that runs on this as well as the new Doom 4 beta which comes with it :cool:

ryBpmLu.jpg

l7Os9Gk.jpg

^ I then fired up the PS3 (I like to play when I feel like a break from photo editing sometimes :p) and at 16:9 I set the OSD aspect ratio to "Original" - Setting it to 1:1 puts a tiny screen with black boxes around all fours. In Original it's like picture 1 above. Setting the aspect ratio to one of the cinema modes it pans and zooms in to fill the screen and to the most extent for some games this is just fine where you don't need to see the top and bottom margins.

In either instance of gaming I found no problem with mouse lag. I set the OSD to "High" response time as in Windows I found the Low setting caused too much mouse trailing while the Medium setting was better but High just felt the best. I found no issues with motion though I have been gaming on IPS screens since the Dell 2000FPW days.

Movies & TV

sXuwdD3.jpg

^This is where 21:9 shines. I fired up Tears of Steel which is in 2160P (well, 4096x1714) and it was glorious. So sharp and looked so good. I then played some 1080P movies which were equally impressive. Not quite as sharp but still highly detailed.

TV shows are pretty much exclusively 16:9 so you get windowboxes either side. Not much you can do about that but the good thing is that even still the screen area it takes up is still the same size as a 27" 1440P monitor.

Some movies are 16:9 but letterboxed, those you can zoom in to fill the monitor without losing much (if any) content. You need a media player that allows this though. I know MPC-BE/HC does (numpad buttons).

Pros & Cons

+ Cinematic immersion, amazing for movies & supported PC gaming.
+ Uniform colours with no visible backlight bleed (not to be confused with IPS tinge which there is).
+ Gaming performance for me was just fine. I have never gamed on a 120Hz monitor but my gaming style in FPSes has adapted to the nature of IPS and I have no problem at staying in the top area of scoreboards in online FPS games like TF2.
+ The joystick button is genius, so easy to use and nice.
+ Visibly frameless front apart from the glossy bezel part at the bottom.
+ Can have a large browser window open AND a 1080P video beside it and you can enjoy both at the same time.
+ Hardware calibration means whatever you connect up via the other inputs you will benefit from the calibrated colours too.
+ Does not generate much heat. It's been on several hours and it's cooler than my U2713HM. I would say this is mostly down to the fact that this has a power brick so a lot of heat stays away from inside the monitor. The WLED backlight generates little to no heat.

- Glossy strip at the bottom of the screen is pointless and will only look poor over time as you wipe it. I've learnt this out already!
- Reader mode will disable Calibration mode but when you turn Reader mode off it won't turn Calibration mode back on.
- Enabling DisplayPort 1.2 in the OSD did cause random flickering for me even on the Windows desktop. Disabling it solved it. Visually I can't tell any different so maybe 1.2 mode isn't fully working yet I don't know. many others are reporting the same. Let's see if LG release a firmware update.
- Hardware LUT only usable via the LG software. True Color Finder stays running in the system tray. It uses 18MB of RAM only.
- No USB3 upstream cable supplied. I had to use my own.
- Only 1 USB3 downstream port, the other 2 are USB2 ports.

Will I miss dual screen? Yes and no. Yes because I liked having a 24" in vertical orientation and reading sites and magazines as they're supposed to. No because this looks way nicer and offers much more everywhere else.

Should someone else buy the LG instead of waiting for the Dell version? Interesting question. LG have marketed this display at image and video professionals/enthusiasts and the included hardware features benefit them clearly. I have a feeling Dell may not include some of those features in their version and we can definitely expect to see a higher price (I paid £830 for the LG). One thing is for certain, Dell's stands and RMA processes can't be beat.

I'll remain happy with the 34UM95 as long as nothing breaks on it and LG update us with a firmware to fix the DisplayPort 1.2 flicker :)

Additional pics + Video

1SEPVI4.jpg

lPnYTMS.jpg

1BC9lct.jpg

YOUTUBE VIDEO

@robbiekhan
wow looks really comfy. Tnx for sharing your thoughts on the Display.
I kinda still torn beetween LG UM95 and Benq BL3200PT...Not sure which one i should get...

Btw.
What camera did you use to take those pics? The photos look really nice.
Also what is the display mount that you are using for LGUM95?

@robbiekhan
I kinda still torn beetween LG UM95 and Benq BL3200PT...Not sure which one i should get...

Btw.

Your decision is an easy one.

Beautiful setup. I really hope my order gets fulfilled soon, though my "nook" that I call a desk at the moment will pale in comparison to your incredible level of organization!

Thanks! I was really surprised by how wide it was, I did make space on the desk beforehand in anticipation but it was not enough by a small margin lol.

@robbiekhan

Btw.

Hey I used a Canon 5D Mk III with a flash.
The arm is an Ergotron MX.

For those using this monitor are you using display port or dvi?

DisplayPort here, it has no DVI port unless you use a HDMI<>DVI adapter I guess.

I am not surprised the Dell crowd are happy with this monitor because those are famous for high input lag.
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/images/hazro_hz27wa/input_lag_new.jpg

I just recieved mine and whille it is a cool monitor i have some issues.

It has noticeably higher inputlag than my Hazro HZ27WC, not that weird since the Hazro lacks a scaler but i can feel and see the cursor behind in Windows. In games it is not as noticeable.

The IPS-Glow in the lower left corner is very noticeable, my black background is almost grey.

Colors are good out-of-the box eventhough blacks are worse than the Hazro aswell.

Basically, it is worse than my Hazro in every scenario except for size, and that size is only on the sides. I knew all these things going in so it's on my end, i haven't decided if i'm returning it or not. Definetly not worth what i paid for it (1500$ in Sweden)

Have you put the OSD response time setting to high? No mouse lagging behind windows then...

As I say, no issues with input lag at all and I game online and still stay on top of score boards.

Have you put the OSD response time setting to high? No mouse lagging behind windows then...

As I say, no issues with input lag at all and I game online and still stay on top of score boards.

Yes it is on high, and on high i even see that the cursor has a white outline around it that follows it, on medium it is gone but the delay is a little worse.

I'm not saying it is impossible to use or anything, it is just very noticeable compared to my previous monitor.

I also never watch movies or tv-shows on my main monitor (Got a 50" Sony Bravia next to it, a 46" Samsung behind me at the bed and a 100" projector screen in my livingroom) so that doesn't really do much for me.

I guess i am just asking myself why i ordered it, but that might change in a few days :)

Last edited:
People that are getting this monitor......for Win7, are you guys still having to go get the driver for this monitor off LG?

Been fiddling a bit with the colors and i'm getting more pleased. It also fits PERFECTLY with my 27" LG on the side.

xKKethr.jpg

My monitor arrive yesterday and here it is :)

9ghh89.jpg

2e0s0g3.jpg

I need a bigger desk hehe

Havent really play much with it yet and everything seems to be ok so far. I really like it but I need to find a good movie and watch it sometime.

To people that got a Monitor Stand/ARM can you please give me a link of your Monitor Stand/ARM because the stand that come with the monitor is pretty weak and I think it give me more place if I use Monitor "ARM". Thanks.

I just checked mine, and all 4 holes are good to go with threads for a VESA mount. You might have to send that thing back and get a new one...

@Nebbie // Yes...I didn't expect this from $999 monitor. Empty vesa holes!

Btw..what revision are you guys on? It's a little bit surprise to me that mine is Rev. 02..I mean it just came out, but it's already on rev 02. May be Rev. 02 means...empty vesa holes :) ?

Is anyone having the same issue? My upper vesa holes are just empty holes.

So that is what is rattling anound inside my monitor :(

I have holes too...it looks like the vesa screw thingies came loose in shipping and are rattling around inside my display.

Also I have to disable displayport 1.2 otherwise my display cracks and pops unless i reboot my pc then it works fine. Does any body have any idea what displayport 1.2 enabled does?

Btw..what revision are you guys on? It's a little bit surprise to me that mine is Rev. 02..I mean it just came out, but it's already on rev 02. May be Rev. 02 means...empty vesa holes :) ?

That's a bummer :( Well, mine said Rev 01 on the box, but on the back of the monitor it says Rev 02 - manufactured April 2014. No empty holes here.

Also I have to disable displayport 1.2 otherwise my display cracks and pops unless i reboot my pc then it works fine. Does any body have any idea what displayport 1.2 enabled does?

Same here, though I see no difference with DP 1.2 enabled, so I've left it off. Maybe an updated firmware will fix it.

Last edited:
Hey guys, can some kind person link to the 4 way split software ?

I dont have a CD thingy on my machine. And I could not find it on LG site.

Just pick it up from MC, for science

Rev2, though the box says Rev.01

Just for reference, I back-ordered from B&H on Monday, and just got a ship notice today (Friday). YMMV

For me the pops went away after about 30 minutes of use and haven't returned.

However, if you use an AMD card then you have to disable DisplayPort 1.2 or you get lines on your screen. AMD needs an update as this doesn't happen for nVidia users.

For me the pops went away after about 30 minutes of use and haven't returned.

However, if you use an AMD card then you have to disable DisplayPort 1.2 or you get lines on your screen. AMD needs an update as this doesn't happen for nVidia users.

Hmm my screen has now been on for almost all night and I just enabled DP 1.2 in the OSD. I recall previously that the screen flickered even on Windows desktop but not any more...

I re-calibrated while it has been in 1.2 mode and can't spot any immediate differences. either. Maybe whites are a little more purer I don't know, maybe that's just a placebo but I'll leave it be on 1.2 and monitor (heh) what happens.

I'll leave the screen off for a few hours now to cool down and see if it flickers on a cold boot and if it does then we may be on to something here.

Hmm my screen has now been on for almost all night and I just enabled DP 1.2 in the OSD. I recall previously that the screen flickered even on Windows desktop but not any more...

I re-calibrated while it has been in 1.2 mode and can't spot any immediate differences. either. Maybe whites are a little more purer I don't know, maybe that's just a placebo but I'll leave it be on 1.2 and monitor (heh) what happens.

I'll leave the screen off for a few hours now to cool down and see if it flickers on a cold boot and if it does then we may be on to something here.

Keep me updated, since if all the issues can be resolved then I'l definitely pick one up in the coming months!

Back