32gb micro sd not fully 32gb

p3sty

2[H]4U
it shows 29.6 capacity wtf trying to n2a 32gb my nook and its not big enough solutions?

it shows 29.6 capacity wtf trying to n2a 32gb my nook and its not big enough solutions?

Guess what? You are a victim to the difference between both the card vendor's and Microsoft's definitions of GB. In this particular case, "32GB" means just under 32 billion bytes (according to the card vendor, which uses 10 to the ninth power, or 1GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes). However, Microsoft uses a completely different definition of gigabyte (in this case, 2 to the 30th power, or 1GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes). Divide 32,000,000,000 by 1,073,741,824 and you'd get 29.8GiB (which is close to what Microsoft uses), or 29.6GiB after a small amount is utilized by the FAT32 filing system itself.

To be fair, all OS's use the same definitions of storage, singling Microsoft out alone is unfair at best.

The blame lies on card and hard drive manufacturers for "cheating" on their definitions of MB, GB, and TB.

To be fair, all OS's use the same definitions of storage, singling Microsoft out alone is unfair at best.

The blame lies on card and hard drive manufacturers for "cheating" on their definitions of MB, GB, and TB.

Sorry that I inaccurately named Microsoft for its "different" definition of GB. In this case, both the OS and the drive/card manufacturers and vendors are to blame for their varying definitions of GB (or to be more specific, to have failed to come to an agreement with their definitions of MB/GB/TB). (I use the terms MiB/GiB/TiB when I define binary MB/GB/TB.)

Apple uses decimals and not binary. But other than them, yeah I think you're right.

Most linux programs are capable of displaying either binary or decimal units. But almost all of the linux GUIs display the units such as GB and GiB correctly.

So E4g1e is quite right in singling out Microsoft as the worst offender. Microsoft really needs to correct their bug and display the correct units: GB = 10^9 bytes, GiB = 1024^3 bytes.

Interesting, did not know that.

It's interesting how it's more of a big deal now than it was a few years ago it seems like.

The percentage difference increases as the size of storage increases.

KiB / KB = 2.4% difference
MiB / MB = 4.9%
GiB / GB = 7.4%
TiB / TB = 10%

When the first computer programmers made the mistake of using K for 1024 instead of its proper definition of 1000, it was only a 2.4% error.

But nowadays with HDDs measured in TBs, it is a 10% error to use TB when you really mean TiB.

MiB / MB = 4.9%
GiB / GB = 7.4%
TiB / TB = 10%

When the first computer programmers made the mistake of using K for 1024 instead of its proper definition of 1000, it was only a 2.4% error.

But nowadays with HDDs measured in TBs, it is a 10% error to use TB when you really mean TiB.

Yes. And by extension, with "petabyte"/"pebibyte" figures not too far off in the near future:

PiB / PB = 12.6%
EiB / EB = 15.3%

MiB / MB = 4.9%
GiB / GB = 7.4%
TiB / TB = 10%

I remember hearing a story once, that HD manufacturers used to spec drives in powers of 1024. But when the first 100mb drive came out it was actualy less, but the marketing people realised they could advertise it as 100mb if they counted in round thousands. And once one did it, they all did to compete.
Of course this story might not actualy be true but since most people hate marketing people so its easy to believe. :D

yes the extraction console says not enough space %^^%%!!!! Which totaly pisses me off since the os is like 5mb and the rest is storage space.

yes the extraction console says not enough space %^^%%!!!! Which totaly pisses me off since the os is like 5mb and the rest is storage space.

Well, it could be that your particular application requires 32GiB or more free disk space - but all "32GB" flash devices only have a 29.6GiB formatted capacity.

Back