3200+ vs x2 4200+ for games?

dfedders

Limp Gawd
Is there any advantage to going from a 3200+ to a x2 4200+ for games that only use a single processor? Does the x2 4200 act like a "4.2Ghz" system when using one proc for games, or does it really only reach it's "4.2Ghz" potential with both cores processing?

lol no it never gets as high as you asked

and for single threaded apps its just the same as a single core proc of the same speed.

Maybe we'll get some games soon that will be coded to take atvantage of dual core processors. The main atvantage now will be multitasking while gaming if you own a dual core.

stealthy123 said:
and for single threaded apps its just the same as a single core proc of the same speed.

Ok, so for single core apps/games, it will perform like a single 4200+, right? So that would still be a good improvement over a 3200+?

dfedders said:
Ok, so for single core apps/games, it will perform like a single 4200+, right? So that would still be a good improvement over a 3200+?
A good improvement in games which you are CPU limited, yes. In games which you are GPU limited, no.
There are many factors to consider, but if you can afford it then yes I would recommend getting the dual core CPU, it is better overall not only for gaming but for everything else / multitasking.

dfedders said:

It will perform like a 3500+ Venice if only utilizing a single core.

i know this has been talked about in other threads, but with that decision of single core or dual core, if u were to consider the problems associated with dual core processing on single threaded games at the moment and taking the time to fix them, would it still b a better choice than just sticking with single core?

[teh]manwich said:
i know this has been talked about in other threads, but with that decision of single core or dual core, if u were to consider the problems associated with dual core processing on single threaded games at the moment and taking the time to fix them, would it still b a better choice than just sticking with single core?

I am gaming on a dual core without any issues at all. Although I had a problem at first, it was easily fixed by a patch from MS or AMD, I forget which.

Back