• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

32 inch LED IPS TV

cerbul

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 14, 2012
Messages
242
For my bedroom, I am thinking to buy a 32 inch LED IPS TV, but I am not sure what model to buy.
I can only say that I prefer a crisp image and not a washed out one. That is why I have chosen it to be IPS in the first place. I am tempted to go with 120 hz, but I have a problem with soap opera effect or any other artifacts that might affect image quality, so if I can't get quality over 60 hz, I don't care about it. I understood that those artifacts can be disabled.

So if anyone can give me an advice to get the best image possible in a 32 inch tv, please let me know what I need to buy to get it. Thank You
 
I've had this set for several days. I bought the 39" version as the 32" is just too small for me personally. The price wasn't that much different either, maybe $65 dollars or so.

This set not only looks great display PC games but 1080p content as well. It's also LED and an IPS panel. I've played several fast action games, sims along with a few MMO's and I cannot detect any input lag whatsoever.

Here is my review.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1466061/2013-lg-ln5300-led-hdtv-review

There is also a new 39" Sharp LED set out there and last I saw it was on sale for $330 dollars. BUT, ..... the review I read on the set from a few different people said there was ghosting which is a major turn off.

I would take a very serious look at the LG 39LN5300 or if money is an issue, the LG 32LN5300.

This is the new Westy 37"
 
LG has pretty much nailed TV monitors for quite a few years now, and it looks like the xxLN5300 is no exception.

Going by SixFootDuo's experience, it may be the best LG TV monitor yet, with better black levels and everything.
 
Thank You for the answers,
but what I really would like to see is an advice about what a good LED IPS should have technology wise, and if possible not a very harsh AG coating. How many "hz" should have, so that I get a really nice picture quality and less motion blur, and no harsh artifacts that affect the image. And once I get an idea about what is worth from current technologies, then I could use some info about what brands and models would fit the criteria best.
Anyone able to steer me in the right direction regarding LED IPS technology use in TVs?
Thank You
 
I can really only speak to my skill set in regards to gaming on HDTVs. I've owned several large monitors / HDTVs going back several years. Back when 17" CRTs were $700 - $800 I had them, 21" Sony's and Nokia's $1,100 - $1,300, I had them, the Sony 24" CRT, I still have mine practically brand new in the box that I got on sale for I think $1,800 right as the monitors were going out of popularity. I moved from that to a Westy W1 37" then to a Westy W3 37". I had 2 of the W3's. Then to a LD, LK, SC and now a LN 39" LG.

I can tell you that this set has an IPS panel, that there is no blur or lag and that I've been able to calibrate the set to the point it looks just absolutely fantastic. LED is the way to go. This set has amazing black detail and the picture really pops. I love the set so much in fact, I now own 3 of them. I plan to build a custom desk to support all 3 of them in eyefinity for gaming and my recording studio setup.

This set has a semi-glossy coating. on a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the reflective properties of glass, the LN has a 6.5 to 7.

For the money and what this set can do, it's an incredible value. With the new very thin bezel, IPS, LED, low latency, size for the low price of $465 with tax ... it can't be beat. For the first time ever, I have what looks like a PC display on my desk. No massive CRT's, now huge ass bezeled HDTV's. this set looks like someone took a tiny 20" PC monitor and just massively enlarged it. I've already had people ask me where to buy this monitor at. They have no clue it's actually a HDTV.

In short, all though I cannot give you all the in-depth tech speak / numbers you're asking for, I can tell you that you will not do any better buying anything else. This set is a very clear winner. It does everything it should and does it well.
 
AlphaIPS is not made in 31.5" anymore, I believe. So you're left with LG S-IPS:
http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist....resolution_pixels=19201080&production_state=1

Sort of impossible to find out specific panel types of various monitors, though. That AVSforum thread gives some hints but thats about it. I know the Philips 4000-series all use WLED IPS but thats about it. Would be nice to find a model that has one of those 1600:1 contrast panels. Perhaps Panasonic use them.
 
ok so i went out and got the 32 inch version of the lg monitor so far so good. input lag was my main concern which is very very minimal. my brother has the auria 27 inch 2560x1440 and even that one has more input lag then this tv. Color when calibrated correctly looks great. compared to my old hanns-g 28 inch mointor this lg tv blows it out of the water. Text is a little harder to read vs my old hanns-g. Thanks sixfootduo for the recommendation working great so far.
 
AlphaIPS is not made in 31.5" anymore, I believe. So you're left with LG S-IPS:
http://www.panelook.com/sizmodlist....resolution_pixels=19201080&production_state=1

Sort of impossible to find out specific panel types of various monitors, though. That AVSforum thread gives some hints but thats about it. I know the Philips 4000-series all use WLED IPS but thats about it. Would be nice to find a model that has one of those 1600:1 contrast panels. Perhaps Panasonic use them.

Can you please state how many inches I should chose (under 42 please), so that I can find a panel with IPS Alpha. Otherwise I will transform that monitor in plasma(not sure yet but most likely). I am not even sure that 37 inches will fit properly in there, but my point would be that I want a monitor bigger then 27 and smaller then 42.
 
ok so i went out and got the 32 inch version of the lg monitor so far so good. ................ Text is a little harder to read vs my old hanns-g.
Are you sure that 4:4:4 is running correctly?

Text should still be fairly sharp, just with larger more visible pixels. <-- or this may be what you are referring to.

I would test it out by viewing blue and red text over dark backgrounds, if any of them look blurrier than normal then something is up.
 
Are you sure that 4:4:4 is running correctly?

Text should still be fairly sharp, just with larger more visible pixels. <-- or this may be what you are referring to.

I would test it out by viewing blue and red text over dark backgrounds, if any of them look blurrier than normal then something is up.

yeah i think i am refering to larger pixels. but how would i know if i do have 4:4:4 running correctly? what is that btw?
 
I bought one to replace my dell 3007wfp and it is awesome! I haven't had time to do any extensive testing but so far I really like it. I'll post some more impressions later. I had BB price match amazon and got it for $419.
 
The set, LG LN5300 absolutely does support 4:4:4

It's actually very easy to tell, even using hardocp as a test pattern.

Basically, look for this. Any red or cyan will be blurry. It's very easy to spot.

Everything else on the screen will be razor sharp but any text / line / pattern with red / cyan in color will be clearly blurred. It's impossible to miss.

Find a red line, anywhere, web site, text, an image, small icons, anything red. If it's razor pixel sharp, then you are good. If not, then the set you are using does not support 4:4:4. And most HDTV's do not support 4:4:4. That is why the LG's have been highly rated and purchased for 4+ years now.
 
Can you please state how many inches I should chose (under 42 please), so that I can find a panel with IPS Alpha. Otherwise I will transform that monitor in plasma(not sure yet but most likely). I am not even sure that 37 inches will fit properly in there, but my point would be that I want a monitor bigger then 27 and smaller then 42.
Difficult to tell. First of all IPS-Alpha is also called IPS-Pro. Panasonic make them but its hard to tell which TVs use which panel. You can dig here and try to find something:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lcd-...-differences-what-models-placed-part-2-a.html
Its very possible that late generation higher end S-IPS is equal to IPS-Alpha/Pro. Specification wise they look about similar, anyway.
 
Last edited:
Guys see here about my post on the LN5300's possible panel lottery.

I will try another Best Buy and even Microcenter to see if any of the LN5300's have a different code than the two I specified in that post. It's just a matter of taking a look at the sticker on the box.
 
Back
Top