32 core Threadripper is coming out.

Discussion in 'AMD Processors' started by gigaxtreme1, Jun 5, 2018.

1. mnewxcv

mnewxcv [H]ardness Supreme

I was just kidding guys, guess it wasn't funny :D

I would never go more cores than GB. BTW, what kind of projects are you doing that exceed 64GB?

atp1916 likes this.
  2. tayunz

tayunz [H]ard|Gawd

Lol

atp1916 likes this.
  3. M76

M76 [H]ardness Supreme

Octree generation for a larger pointcloud. Usually tops out ram usage around 90-100GB.

4. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Limp Gawd

Nope.

Intel hasn't yet released the BBWATX standard for PC cases that specifies two full sized 1 kW PSUs mounted on top of each other to supply both the CPU, GPU(s) and other peripherals. They also haven't quite worked out the routing of the external refrigeration lines, those can be a bit of a pain to get in the right spot. I'd expect some time later this year they'll have the new standard finalized.

Zuul, Shadowed, N4CR and 2 others like this.
  5. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Hehe...

tunatime likes this.
  6. Orddie

Orddie 2[H]4U

7. Nside

Nside Limp Gawd

People also aren't considering their ambient room temp increase. Sure, in a huge convention center, it won't affect room temp much, but in a 12x12 room, 1000w+ dissipated through the chiller, 800w+ powering the chiller, and 250w or so coming from that parade of VRM, you could bake a cake in whatever room you put that setup in...

Expect to have at least a 1200w window AC running full blast whenever that Intel Frankenstein has any sort of load on it... On the plus side, whoever reproduces this setup might just start getting Christmas cards from their electric company...

8. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

I had a 1950x but it was clunky in games and retarded fast in produ

I think a 32 core will grace my box once again. I'm gonna give my 7820x to my 4 year old to play ABC learning frog on lmao.

alxlwson, workshop35 and ssnyder28 like this.
  9. GiGaBiTe

GiGaBiTe Limp Gawd

~2 kW into a 12x12 room would make it thermonuclear in no time flat. Your average Phenom II / FX 8000 rig with a midrange graphics card would make a room that size heat up to the upper 90s without A/C.

You'd need 6824 BTU of A/C to remove 2 kW of heat, a Walmart 8000 BTU unit could keep up with it, but it'd be running near continuously.

I'd be more worried about christmas cards from the ATF and FBI, they'd probably think you started a meth lab lol.

10. mashie

mashie Mawd Gawd

Any ideas if TR2 will support more than 128GB RAM? Would be great for virtualization with all those cores.

11. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

No idea yet. One can hope though.

mashie likes this.
  12. drescherjm

drescherjm [H]ardForum Junkie

32 GB unbuffered dimms will not be cheap.

13. Montu

Montu [H]ard DCOTM x4

Not sure I follow you here. The 32C TR is going to be just as clunky in games and likely won't reach the same clock speeds as the current TR when loaded.

I want a 32C rig, but it's not going to be my gaming rig.

14. tangoseal

tangoseal [H]ardness Supreme

The IPC per core on the old threadripper is of the old zen before the + refresh. The IPC was much lower than it is now on the current + cores. The 32 core is going to be a better gaming platform than its 16 core ancestor because of the cache latency and IMC and other improvements that yield a higher IPC.

Clunkyness had nothing to do with core count. It had more to do with IPC and per core frequency. Sure these chips will never be 4+ ghz full load but what game on earth can load 32 cores? Maybe 6 at the most and if that is the case you just customize your OC settings.

My beef was exclusive to IPC, not core count.

And a really good thread management suite like:

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    atp1916 likes this.
  15. gigaxtreme1

gigaxtreme1 2[H]4U

Ouch, my poor wallet! Getting tempted to make a Monero Monster.

16. amigafan2003

amigafan2003 n00bie

If AMD can get a similar XFR boost profile to the 2700x (4.35ghz single core, 4ghz 8 cores and so on, even if it ends up at 3ghz on 32 cores) then I'll be chopping in my 1950x in August :)

17. kniwor

kniwor n00bie

This is exciting news, word on pricing?

18. Iratus

Iratus [H]ard|Gawd

The exact use case that gets us.

If you don't have enough memory for pointcloud then the processing time goes through the roof. But it also needs grunt as you know.

The other one I've run into is loading up our full graph DB. That's easily 90gb just for the the jvm.

These are definitely going to be useful to have as a shared resource between developers for us. Gets too expensive / hard to use on ec2.

32 cores, hopefully 4ghz plus
    256gb RAM
    32GB V100

Thats gonna be our godbox, the software can't use more than 32 cores and the workload can't be distributed because of coherency problems. Plus we have other tasks that are thread speed limited so clocks are important too.

For us it's genuinely game changing to get that spec onto threadripper. Before it was ball achingly expensive Xeon processors in workstations & epyc thread speed was too low. Given our budget we just used to wait longer for stuff to run but these jobs take literally hours.