32 core Threadripper is coming out.

Another+post+about+dumb+gamergatefeminists+posts+and+tweets+_31fba6c38b6158120f13c56081b4edfd.jpg

People also aren't considering their ambient room temp increase. Sure, in a huge convention center, it won't affect room temp much, but in a 12x12 room, 1000w+ dissipated through the chiller, 800w+ powering the chiller, and 250w or so coming from that parade of VRM, you could bake a cake in whatever room you put that setup in...

Expect to have at least a 1200w window AC running full blast whenever that Intel Frankenstein has any sort of load on it... On the plus side, whoever reproduces this setup might just start getting Christmas cards from their electric company...

Nope.

Intel hasn't yet released the BBWATX standard for PC cases that specifies two full sized 1 kW PSUs mounted on top of each other to supply both the CPU, GPU(s) and other peripherals. They also haven't quite worked out the routing of the external refrigeration lines, those can be a bit of a pain to get in the right spot. I'd expect some time later this year they'll have the new standard finalized.

People also aren't considering their ambient room temp increase. Sure, in a huge convention center, it won't affect room temp much, but in a 12x12 room, 1000w+ dissipated through the chiller, 800w+ powering the chiller, and 250w or so coming from that parade of VRM, you could bake a cake in whatever room you put that setup in..

~2 kW into a 12x12 room would make it thermonuclear in no time flat. Your average Phenom II / FX 8000 rig with a midrange graphics card would make a room that size heat up to the upper 90s without A/C.

Expect to have at least a 1200w window AC running full blast whenever that Intel Frankenstein has any sort of load on it...

You'd need 6824 BTU of A/C to remove 2 kW of heat, a Walmart 8000 BTU unit could keep up with it, but it'd be running near continuously.

On the plus side, whoever reproduces this setup might just start getting Christmas cards from their electric company...

I'd be more worried about christmas cards from the ATF and FBI, they'd probably think you started a meth lab lol.

Reactions: Nside
like this
I had a 1950x but it was clunky in games and retarded fast in produ

I think a 32 core will grace my box once again. I'm gonna give my 7820x to my 4 year old to play ABC learning frog on lmao.

Not sure I follow you here. The 32C TR is going to be just as clunky in games and likely won't reach the same clock speeds as the current TR when loaded.

I want a 32C rig, but it's not going to be my gaming rig.

Not sure I follow you here. The 32C TR is going to be just as clunky in games and likely won't reach the same clock speeds as the current TR when loaded.

I want a 32C rig, but it's not going to be my gaming rig.

The IPC per core on the old threadripper is of the old zen before the + refresh. The IPC was much lower than it is now on the current + cores. The 32 core is going to be a better gaming platform than its 16 core ancestor because of the cache latency and IMC and other improvements that yield a higher IPC.

Clunkyness had nothing to do with core count. It had more to do with IPC and per core frequency. Sure these chips will never be 4+ ghz full load but what game on earth can load 32 cores? Maybe 6 at the most and if that is the case you just customize your OC settings.

My beef was exclusive to IPC, not core count.

And a really good thread management suite like:

Last edited:
If AMD can get a similar XFR boost profile to the 2700x (4.35ghz single core, 4ghz 8 cores and so on, even if it ends up at 3ghz on 32 cores) then I'll be chopping in my 1950x in August :)

Octree generation for a larger pointcloud. Usually tops out ram usage around 90-100GB.

The exact use case that gets us.

If you don't have enough memory for pointcloud then the processing time goes through the roof. But it also needs grunt as you know.

The other one I've run into is loading up our full graph DB. That's easily 90gb just for the the jvm.

These are definitely going to be useful to have as a shared resource between developers for us. Gets too expensive / hard to use on ec2.

32 cores, hopefully 4ghz plus
256gb RAM
32GB V100

Thats gonna be our godbox, the software can't use more than 32 cores and the workload can't be distributed because of coherency problems. Plus we have other tasks that are thread speed limited so clocks are important too.

For us it's genuinely game changing to get that spec onto threadripper. Before it was ball achingly expensive Xeon processors in workstations & epyc thread speed was too low. Given our budget we just used to wait longer for stuff to run but these jobs take literally hours.

1509 euros would be a nice troll on Intel as it is about the same price they launched their 10 core 6950x less than 3 years ago.

1509 euros would be a nice troll on Intel as it is about the same price they launched their 10 core 6950x less than 3 years ago.

That was then and AMD didn't have a competitive part. I suspect we'll see Intel begin to lower their prices if they want to keep market share. Isn't competition great?

People also aren't considering their ambient room temp increase. Sure, in a huge convention center, it won't affect room temp much, but in a 12x12 room, 1000w+ dissipated through the chiller, 800w+ powering the chiller, and 250w or so coming from that parade of VRM, you could bake a cake in whatever room you put that setup in...

Expect to have at least a 1200w window AC running full blast whenever that Intel Frankenstein has any sort of load on it... On the plus side, whoever reproduces this setup might just start getting Christmas cards from their electric company...

After your 28 core Intel chip becomes obsolete, it can still see continued use as a house heater up north.

1509 euros x $1.16 = $1750/us. Not bad for a 32 core beast, but definitely above my price range.

After your 28 core Intel chip becomes obsolete, it can still see continued use as a house heater up north.

Won't be obsolete for a minute if you think about it, sarcasm aside; consumers still just getting 6 cores on non-HEDT platforms with rumors of an octacore CPU on the way only because of pressure from Ryzen. It's why I had no compunction buying into X99, you can go all the way up to 18 with Xeons. Second will be an IPC advantage. Even Zen+ still "only" falls between Broadwell and Skylake in IPC, best case.

And who can forget the space heating effect? Nothing warms the soul like waste heat from a high end desktop PC. Nothing. lol

I'm still using a twelve core machine from 2010 for video rendering. Cores for my workloads are never obsolete. If I can't get a job running to take up all cores I can run another one that will utilize what's left over. 32 cores would triple my available resources in one machine. (y)

Even Zen+ still "only" falls between Broadwell and Skylake in IPC, best case.

To be fair, that's already pretty close, considering Skylake IPC is still the best we have at the moment.

If Zen2 performs then AMD may as well be leading the IPC wars for the first time since when.

That is just some placeholder price.

I really really really HATE that company and any company that does that kind of bullshit.

It really boils me.

Are you expecting it to be released at 1k or something? I just don't think that's going to happen.

Honestly yes I am. This is AMD and they are all about undercutting Intel to death. Plus they stand to make a lot of money on these because it cost them nothing since they proven they have the ability to cram cores on dies with very high yield from the first gen.

if they go for 1399 that will be a win! 1500 is a bit much because remember who they are marketing too here.

You guys will say content creators sure... but remember go to any big ass corporation and tell their IT boss, hey man I need a 32 Core AMD processor and they will say AM ...whaaa??

No son we have contracts with Dell and HP and Intel and we get Intel Xeon and that is what you are going to get.

AMD doesn't own the content creators market thus they must remember that in their pricing for now at least.

Last edited:
You guys will say content creators sure... but remember go to any big ass corporation and tell their IT boss, hey man I need a 32 Core AMD processor and they will say AM ...whaaa??

No son we have contracts with Dell and HP and Intel and we get Intel Xeon and that is what you are going to get.

Intel is nicknamed Chipzilla for a very good reason.

To be fair, that's already pretty close, considering Skylake IPC is still the best we have at the moment.

If Zen2 performs then AMD may as well be leading the IPC wars for the first time since when.

Wouldn't that be a sight to see? For the first time since the NetBust days...

Wouldn't that be a sight to see? For the first time since the NetBust days...

Can't wait for Zen2. I'm in want of a desktop.

One place where AMD is clearly lagging is in the motherboard segment though. Intel's platform has been rock solid ever since the SB days. I'll give them the rest of 2018 and early 2019 to figure it out...

1509 euros x $1.16 = $1750/us. Not bad for a 32 core beast, but definitely above my price range.

Euro pricing includes VAT

1800X (1 die) launch price: $499
1950X (2 die) launch price: $999

2700X (1 die) launch price: $329
2990X (4 die) launch price: $1299 ??????

Last edited:
Good in theory, but I doubt they will launch the 2950x at $660.

Maybe 1700x = $400, 1950x=$1000
or 2.5x for the bigger die package.

so, 2700x = $330, 2950x=$825
or 2.5x

The 2990x would simply be 2x that or $1650.

The 1800x was always an awkward, overpriced product that caused the 1900x to be overpriced as well. The 1900x was, however, a great over clocker by Ryzen 1 standards - 4.1 Ghz minimum from the few that I have read about.

It would be nice to see the 2900x launch at $400 or about half of what I think the 2950x will be. It would be a good entry into the TR4 socket especially if it could guarantee 4.3 Ghz or more.

I expect to see it under 2K USD but not significantly so. While that's a bit steep for a personal desktop I really don't see anyone just getting a 32 core for shits and giggles. You need cores for serious work and that usually means paid work, or work of the tax-deductible kind.

Reactions: MrC4
like this
The 1800x was always an awkward, overpriced product that caused the 1900x to be overpriced as well. The 1900x was, however, a great over clocker by Ryzen 1 standards - 4.1 Ghz minimum from the few that I have read about.

It would be nice to see the 2900x launch at $400 or about half of what I think the 2950x will be. It would be a good entry into the TR4 socket especially if it could guarantee 4.3 Ghz or more.

Code:
CPU      air average    LN2 record
----------------------------------
1800X    4033MHz        5803MHz
1900X    3909MHz        4797MHz

I expect to see it under 2K USD but not significantly so. While that's a bit steep for a personal desktop I really don't see anyone just getting a 32 core for shits and giggles. You need cores for serious work and that usually means paid work, or work of the tax-deductible kind.
Looks like it is going to be $1500 for 2990X and will be pushed at super HEDT, which is exactly what it will be for.

I am not convinced they will be able to sustain the same all core overclocks that current threadrippers can do.
I have a feeling on water that 4GHz is going to be doable considering how some of the top end blocks have been designed, but assuredly, that is something we will be looking into.

https://www.pcper.com/news/General-Tech/Threadripper-2990X-rumours-come-good-and-bad-news

A German retailer jumped the gun and posted a price for the mysterious new 2990X processor whose existence AMD has yet to confirm or deny. At around $1750 USD, converting from the posted €1,509 it would be significantly more expensive than the current 1950X but lower than the $2000 price tag attached to Intel's Core i9-7980XE. The price will likely actually be lower in North America as prices depend on a variety of geographically dependent charges, though it will still be a fair chunk of change. The 32 core chip is likely clocked at 3.4GHz base with a boost of 4GHz and will surpass Intel's unreleased 28 core chip in a variety of tasks and leave the i9-7980XE in the dirt with applications which prefer multiple threads, not to mention PCIe lanes.

1509 euros with 19% VAT is 1268 euros without VAT, which converts to US $1474 before sales tax is added.

if that price is possible then Microcenter will save you even more. I am guessing you can get it for a nifty $1299

The fact of the matter is, the number of people that will be able to even leverage 32-Cores is going to be tiny. I think if you have daily workloads that can actually leverage 32-Cores, even at $1500 it is going to be a great deal. And of course the E-Peen is going to be YUGE!

Yup, 32 cores is batshit insane for home users and probably like 95% of companies worldwide.

I got a fake 8 core cpu and even then I will be lucky if X = Y and Y = my real 4 cores and X can be anything from A to XXX.

Soooo, judging by that, 32 core = 98 inch epeen, but epeen changes hands every other week.

Only because his arm gets tired.

Back