32 core Threadripper is coming out.

gigaxtreme1

2[H]4U
Wow. Kyle should be champin' at the bit. Edit-Thanks Kyle

Edit by Kyle - Yes.

AMD Ryzen 2nd Gen Threadripper 32 Cores Confirmed
Who would have guessed it!? AMD will be serving up a 32-Core 64-Thread Threadripper in Q3 of this year. That is word from an early morning press conference in Taipei that is live right now. Still on TR4 sockets. Threadripper coverage starts around the 20min mark.

Last edited:
I think intel slept for way too long. While I will likely keep my retail edge 8700k for now man if I was in to content creation/gaming, I would not even touch Intel with a 10 foot pole. Fuckin Zen 2 based EPYC already in the labs. Sampling this year! I love the execution, start at the top with new process and scale it down to desktop and gaming. 7nm done right!

Are you suggesting that Intel's 28-core 29-phase platform is not ready for market?

De-6pEnX4AITfUD.jpg

I don't even know what I'll use it for, but I'm already planning my upgrade to it. It'll be the last PC build I'll make for the next 15 years I think.

Still want to know what speed it's running at on air as is mentioned in the video. I love my 1950x and since it's a drop in upgrade for my current rig, I have to say it is real tempting. I definitely am not upgrading to it when it gets released, but I can definitely see myself upgrading to it at some point.

For me, this news really took the air out of Intel's 28 core announcement mike drop.

About the only thing stopping me from doing another intel build right now (to update my gray haired 5930K Intel box) is not knowing when all of the microcode updates for meltdown/spectre xyz are going to be done and what actual performance (leftover) will be once the code patches are put in.

My latest build on the AMD side (a Ryzen 1700) is chugging along at 8 cores at only 65 watts but from the news, it looks like I will be upgrading this box to a TR build before I do a bump to my 5930 box (especially if they ever do a mini itx TR mobo - luv me some mitx).

Last edited:
One looks ready to go, the other looks like they whipped the engineer until he cobbled something together for the show.

The EPYC 7401P (24C/48T) is sold for about $1200 if you are lucky to find one other than in ebay occasionally. Hopefully the TR version of 24C/48T, though it has higher clock speed would hopefully sell around that price or below to make it attractive for folks like me :) I usually think the server chips usually tend to cost more than consumer chips.

sign me up. Between all these performance decreases lately with intel and their new processors costing much more than AMD I am ready to switch.

I am going to try and build a 32C TR copper box with fins and do a custom heat sink and a DELTA FAN. and see how that works. I would love to take that with me when i work offshore for 28 days at a time and let it render 24/7 Electricity FREE.

Juanrga said:
I was asking for the new 32-core Threadripper. Also that record you mention is using LN2.

5.37Ghz on 16-core ThreadRipper doesn't impress me a lot of. 18-core i9 has been pushed above 6GHz.

You tried to dismiss TR2.0 based on the idea that Intel demoed 28 cores at 5ghz, but with that custom board, giant vrm, and chilled water cooling, it's just as impractical as an ln2 run. Pretty sure you know it too, since you deleted your post.

Besides, I don't think anyone here much cares about what impresses you anyways.

I wish I was into the type of content that a 32 core cpu would be needed. Bet it wont be cheap either. Looking forward to see real world testing of it. Intel better get their shit together. lol

So would I see an improvement in content creation going from a 4770k to a Threadripper "2950x" ? 8->64 threads? :ROFLMAO::LOL::whistle:

So would I see an improvement in content creation going from a 4770k to a Threadripper "2950x" ? 8->64 threads? :ROFLMAO::LOL::whistle:

I'm thinking of building a 32ct tr machine for gaming and video editing. Do you guys think 8gb of ram should be enough?

I'm thinking of building a 32ct tr machine for gaming and video editing. Do you guys think 8gb of ram should be enough?
Idk, I have 32GB with my TR 1950x and my ram usage hits like 18-20GB in Premiere Pro at times.

And the jump for me has been huge moving to the 16 core TR and has been totally worth it.

I have 64 GB system RAM and I will exceed it doing some Premiere Pro / After Effects projects.

Idk, I have 32GB with my TR 1950x and my ram usage hits like 18-20GB in Premiere Pro at times.

And the jump for me has been huge moving to the 16 core TR and has been totally worth it.
I have 64 GB system RAM and I will exceed it doing some Premiere Pro / After Effects projects.

I was just kidding guys, guess it wasn't funny :D

I would never go more cores than GB. BTW, what kind of projects are you doing that exceed 64GB?

I was just kidding guys, guess it wasn't funny :D

I would never go more cores than GB. BTW, what kind of projects are you doing that exceed 64GB?
Octree generation for a larger pointcloud. Usually tops out ram usage around 90-100GB.

Nope.

Intel hasn't yet released the BBWATX standard for PC cases that specifies two full sized 1 kW PSUs mounted on top of each other to supply both the CPU, GPU(s) and other peripherals. They also haven't quite worked out the routing of the external refrigeration lines, those can be a bit of a pain to get in the right spot. I'd expect some time later this year they'll have the new standard finalized.
Hehe...

Back