32-34" 1440p HDR GSYNC Monitors?

GT98

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to replace my LG monitor some time next year (building a I7-9700 and 2080 system in the next couple weeks) with something roughly equilivent to it, but with HDR and GSYNC. Saw a couple 4K monitors that are basically a mortgage payment-looking for something in the $800 range.

HDR will be hard to find since the only available one is the X27. It is an amazing screen but only a 27". The Gsync HDR modules are way more expensive for the monitor manufacturers. So it will be a slow adoption cycle.

Acer XB321HK is currently $800'ish on Amazon. For the most part, if you want an IPS Gsync above 30" you will spend $1000-1500 when its not the holidays.

I have an X34, no HDR, and it was worth every penny. I got it during a sale a few years back and it was $1000. X34 is current $990 on Amazon.

If you want HDR you will be waiting a while for the 30+" screens and they will be a premium. Expect $250-500 over current 30" Gsync pricing.

They don't exist. Closest thing to it would be the ASUS PG35VQ and Acer X35 slated to come out in the next 3-4 months. They are 1440p ultrawides with 200 Hz max refresh rate and G-Sync HDR. I can't imagine them being much less expensive than the 4K options already on the market, though, since both are using the same direct-lit FALD derived from the 27" monitors.
HDR will be hard to find since the only available one is the X27. It is an amazing screen but only a 27". The Gsync HDR modules are way more expensive for the monitor manufacturers. So it will be a slow adoption cycle.

Acer XB321HK is currently $800'ish on Amazon. For the most part, if you want an IPS Gsync above 30" you will spend $1000-1500 when its not the holidays.

I have an X34, no HDR, and it was worth every penny. I got it during a sale a few years back and it was $1000. X34 is current $990 on Amazon.

If you want HDR you will be waiting a while for the 30+" screens and they will be a premium. Expect $250-500 over current 30" Gsync pricing.
The X27 is not the only one. You're forgetting the PG27UQ.

Well I do have time on my side-I'm not planning on doing this till next Summer-have to pay off the upgrade i'm doing now :)

Is there a reason manufacturers go for the FALD instead of the cheaper edge lit solutions found on TVs? Looking at my 4K HDR TV I have no complaints about its image quality or brightness but maybe on the desktop it would not work?

Is there a reason manufacturers go for the FALD instead of the cheaper edge lit solutions found on TVs? Looking at my 4K HDR TV I have no complaints about its image quality or brightness but maybe on the desktop it would not work?
Samsung makes edge lit monitors. I can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

I have not experienced HDR content on an edge lit display so I can't comment on it. With the way it works I imagine it would be distracting to have a line going across half the display that is brighter than the rest, but since most of the time all of the lights will be working in tandem at varying degrees of brightness this wouldn't really be too much of an issue. I guess the biggest issue would be the screen being brighter along the edge than the rest of the cone lit by it. It also depends on how many lights there are just as with FALD.

If you're ok with going bigger you can get the 55" Samsung NU8000 that does 2556 x 1440p @ 120hz Native. And, has HDR as well. And it's right in your price range. It's only I think an additional 14" diagonal. Not that much difference from 34".

I have mine on my desk and it's perfectly fine. Just more screen! :)

And, here is mine on my desktop.

IMG_20181212_181826.jpg

Back