$30K Levitating Coffee Table

While it certainly is cool, I agree, I would never spend that much on any piece of furniture, no matter what it is.

That, and with all that movement, you'd think spilling drinks would be a problem :p

I was expecting some transparent magnetic material with some form of magnets on the bottom with a floating top...Not a metal frame holding about $200 in N50 magnets, kept centered with cable/rope. I could seriously, without trying, make this table for under 1k. Probably much less. I would also probably add the mounts to the edges so its stable, rather than in the center so when there is food and drink on it and someone doesn't know the top moves that much, everything doesn't spill. Thinking about it now, thats probably not even N50's they are using, might just be some super cheap N30's.

Yeah, it doesn't seem very practical since it wobbles and there are cables in places where it's easy to disturb the table and knock over items.

Let me know when there's a 99% off sale. I'll keep it in my "no credit card" room.

8916f527a7de9467cc803dff530c7f7625ecc07180412dc94761065e9f14c4fc.jpg

What a shitty innovation!!! I guess coffee is out of the question! Have we all devolved and become stupid? If had that kind of money, I would spend it on hookers and blow! :joyful:

That coffee table looks pretty stupid to me. A $30,000 piece of non-functional something.

Yeah....I could probably make one of these in my garage with a couple speaker magnets & some wood for 100 bucks....

It's a cool concept but it's about $29,000 too expensive. When I spend $30,000 on some glass and metal, I expect to be able to drive it somewhere.

Reactions: Rahh
like this
That looks like tempered sheet glass like http://www.us.schott.com/architecture/english/products/decorative-glass/narima.html, billet aluminum stock, cut with a lathe to make the shape then lag bolted together, a pair of these https://www.kjmagnetics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=BZX0ZX08-N52&cat=168 facing the north sides toward each other, and nylon guide wires. The throw weight of the bottom magnet pushes against the north face of the top magnet. likely they are welded in place with epoxy so that the north face can not touch the south face or you would have a hard time getting them back apart. Likely those since if a three hundred pound person sits on it you want it to lift them up the two inches that most magnets can repulse before the fall off is great enough not to accelerate the mass upward. Looks like the person used solid iron on both sides to increase the field effect.

Interesting idea but if they had slide up and down on greased glass cylinders, instead of sliding around it would only slide up and down in one direction. When I was growing up in high school science class we would float magnets on top of another and you can get them to spin if they are floating... I don't think I would want a table my that would cause my drinks to fall off of, it gets nudged. Just moving around my computer I probably bump into my desk twenty or thirty times a day, with my arm or elbow reaching for my mouse. Since it does not move much nothing else happens. Likely it would be more fun to remove the cables and use it as a lazy susan turntable for eating at a table full of guests. Still would be at risk of tipping over. Magnets attract or repel another magnet. A circular one might be better for spinning, a square one for welding in place so it does not move. Still think magnets make more sense as pistons than holding force outside of safes, and that requires an electromagnet - electromagnet or electromagnet - rare earth magnet (N42/N52). Still interesting.

Back