3080 Ti speculation

vjhawk

Limp Gawd
NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-30-Series_Official_2-740x416.png

So the rumors are in the air. The 3080 Ti will be coming out soon to compete with AMD 6000 series. It's going to have more memory than the 3080 but probably less than the 3090.

What I'm hearing is 20GB of DDR6X but with the 320bit bus of the 3080 but keeping the CUDA core count of the 3090.

Pricing? I'm guessing it's either gonna be $999 if Nvidia wants to be competitive against the 6900XT or $1200 if they are thinking, we just don't care, people will buy our Ti for this price anyways cos our brand will sell out these cards.

If the 3080 Ti comes out, will you be trying to buy it? What video card would you be replacing? Does a price of $999 or $1199 change your mind about your desire for this card?

Speculation article: https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-20-gb-graphics-card-specs-leak/

I think I would prefered a 16 gig one at $850 USD to potentially make it a nice value when compared to the $999 6900xt.

Maybe it cannot compete with the $650 6800xt 16 gig anyway, so they need to make it in an higher tier and compete only with the 6900xt....

I think I would prefered a 16 gig one at $850 USD to potentially make it a nice value when compared to the $999 6900xt.

Maybe it cannot compete with the $650 6800xt 16 gig anyway, so they need to make it in an higher tier and compete only with the 6900xt....
I don’t believe 16GB is an option given the memory bus options and available GDDR6X capacities (only 1GB chips are available right now). I think the only potential options would’ve been 12GB or 20GB.

Of course it would, that is what NVIDIA does is it not? All those people who jumped on 3080's will get buyers remorse for not waiting, likely knowing NVIDIA would do this to try and take the crown back from AMD....

I am on a 2080 super. I will buy the 3080 ti at any price because my renders from octane render are slow.

I have been hesitant to pull or even go out of my way to get a new card hoping for a 3080TI to come out.

The additional memory is nice but this card would perform between the 3080 and 3090... so a 3080 Ti would presumably be 5-10% faster than a 3080... not very compelling.
Also, I have not seen any description of the size... if the 3080 Ti is as huge as the 3090 then whatever...

And do not get me started on availability...

This is one I am getting 24 gig is overpriced but 20 gig is ideal. Sli is dead anyways. Easy choice 3080ti to replace 1080ti.

Hmmm January. 20GB with 99% the speed of a 3090 for $999? That makes a lot of sense to me.

Unfortunately 1k is still a LOT to pay for a GPU but it's definitely going to be faster than the 3080 and more 'future-proof' so to speak with the 20GB of VRAM.

That being said, I know that a LOT of people will be in line to buy this one but I have a feeling it will instantly sell out to sneakerbots. Ugh.

Hmmm January. 20GB with 99% the speed of a 3090 for $999? That makes a lot of sense to me.

Unfortunately 1k is still a LOT to pay for a GPU but it's definitely going to be faster than the 3080 and more 'future-proof' so to speak with the 20GB of VRAM.

That being said, I know that a LOT of people will be in line to buy this one but I have a feeling it will instantly sell out to sneakerbots. Ugh.
If it is true I am camping out MC the day of release for one.

Nvidia shafted me by releasing 780 ti short time after i bought 780. Since then i have just waited for Ti models.
Feel sorry for people with 3080.
Instead 3080 ti it will be team red for me. It has been far too long and some of my hard earned cash might be good for their rnd.

I bought a 3080 from EVGA on October 27. Hopefully the 3080Ti lands in time for me to step-up. please oh please.. lol

Nvidia shafted me by releasing 780 ti short time after i bought 780. Since then i have just waited for Ti models.
Feel sorry for people with 3080.
Instead 3080 ti it will be team red for me. It has been far too long and some of my hard earned cash might be good for their rnd.

Lol in this case don't feel sorry for them. The 3090 is barely faster than the 3080. So imagine where the 3080 Ti will slot...

I speculate they wont be able to build many so you wont get one ;)
2 per store max lol.

6900xt, 3090, and now 3080Ti are grossly overpriced considering they only offer 10% higher performance for ~50% higher cost then the lower tier card. What the hell is this world coming to? However considering availability is absolutely ridiculous I'll take what I can get up to $1000. I still have my 1080Ti and skipped the 2080Ti since it too was grossly overpriced.

The reality is we don’t NEED 20 gigs of VRAM, but we probably need more than 10. So the ti will be expensive because of the excessive VRAM, most of which will not be utilized during its lifetime.

What will most likely happen is in a few years, 3080, 3080ti and 3090 owners will all want to upgrade to whatever is next because that card will best address this new “cycle/generation” of games at 4K. This wave of cards is not going to last long. The 4k performance is better than the 2000 series, but not so much better we won’t be drooling over new cards very soon.

The ti will probably be the sweet spot in the interim but I predict all of these cards will be short lived because of the sheer demand of 4K, RTX and high frame rates.
+$300 isn't even that crazy given an additional 10gb of gddr6x, and the fact that the dies are more perfect yields.

ON TOPIC PLEASE. There are enough threads on views on value already.

Yes will be upgrading from my 3080 if this happens. Let’s hope availability is there. Meanwhile I will still be enjoying new games being released now so it’s a win win.

3080ti will be the sweet spot. Coming from 1080ti. Now is question of stock. Hope not another paper launch.

Last edited:
10GB VRAM on the 3080 always bothered me...20GB is much better (overkill but better then 8-10GB which is too close to the performance edge)...12GB would have been ideal...too bad it's another 2 month wait

It takes about 3-4 months to do a full revision of existing silicon. So assuming NVIDIA wants to do some fixes on 3xxx silicon (which is what you would do to get more performance) the earliest you are going to see it in a product is Feb-March timeframe. But this could be significantly longer if NVIDIA wants to add more features or make architectural changes.

It takes about 3-4 months to do a full revision of existing silicon. So assuming NVIDIA wants to do some fixes on 3xxx silicon (which is what you would do to get more performance) the earliest you are going to see it in a product is Feb-March timeframe. But this could be significantly longer if NVIDIA wants to add more features or make architectural changes.
Unless its been planned all along.
They already knew the price placements.
Public perception figures in NVidias response but I get the feeling better cards were always on the near horizon.

Unless its been planned all along.
They already knew the price placements.
Public perception figures in NVidias response but I get the feeling better cards were always on the near horizon.
I am sure it has been planned, but:

Every new silicon (3080) has new features that have to be disabled due to functional bugs and timing issues due to design or process which lower clock speed, increase power draw or lower yields.

These can only be realistically found once you have silicon in hand working in a complete platform. It takes time to find, debug and design a fix for them. After that you have to go through the entire flow to produce a new chip. This takes many months.

That is where the 3-4 months comes from. That is how long it takes if you do the above process as fast as possible.

I am sure it has been planned, but:

Every new silicon (3080) has new features that have to be disabled due to functional bugs and timing issues due to design or process which lower clock speed, increase power draw or lower yields.

These can only be realistically found once you have silicon in hand working in a complete platform. It takes time to find, debug and design a fix for them. After that you have to go through the entire flow to produce a new chip. This takes many months.

That is where the 3-4 months comes from. That is how long it takes if you do the above process as fast as possible.
They could have started months ago.

Assuming AIB cards here.... if it is roughly 70% of the price and 95% of the performance of a 3090, I may just bite on the 3080Ti as a worthy upgrade from my 2080Ti... I guess we shall see how it compares.

Assuming AIB cards here.... if it is roughly 70% of the price and 95% of the performance of a 3090, I may just bite on the 3080Ti as a worthy upgrade from my 2080Ti... I guess we shall see how it compares.
3080Ti will be a great upgrade to your 2080Ti. The longer you can stay with the 2080Ti, the more value you gain.

I thought 3080TI would have the same silicon as the 3090 except only 20GB RAM therefore we shouldn't have to wait long. I've been dying to upgrade my 1080Ti since I now game on a 43" 4k / 120hz monitor. I skipped 2080Ti due to it being ridiculously overpriced and now I can't get a 3080 (measly 10GB and no availability) and it'll likely be impossible to get a 6800XT.

Back