300TB Drives In Ten Years

HardOCP News

[H] News
Wired magazine whent deep inside Seagate’s R& D labs an came out with some really interesting information. One such nugget of info was that a 300TB drives could be on the market in the next decade.

In the next decade, Seagate plans to hit the market with twin technologies that could fly far beyond, ultimately offering as much as 50 terabits per square inch. On a standard 3.5-inch drive, that's equivalent to 300 terabits of information, enough to hold the uncompressed contents of the Library of Congress.

As pointed out many times 300 terabits = 37.5 TerraBytes. The 300TB headline can be misleading..

Still that is huge... just not as huge.

As pointed out many times 300 terabits = 37.5 TerraBytes. The 300TB headline can be misleading..

Still that is huge... just not as huge.

Idd many news sites, like Joystiq and a few others, didn't notice Wired talks about 300 terabit and not 300 terabyte.

Idd many news sites, like Joystiq and a few others, didn't notice Wired talks about 300 terabit and not 300 terabyte.

Ya, but almost every one of those that has a comment section has it pointed out there.

Just thought I would be the first to do it here.

Just seconding the notion that we're talking terabits, not TB. :)

Wired magazine whent deep inside Seagate’s R& D labs an came out with some really interesting information. One such nugget of info was that a 300TB drives could be on the market in the next decade.

That's nice. And comapred to the rest of the pc it'll still be as slow as dogshit just like current hard drives.

And what's all the bullshit with bits and bytes? Make up your goddam minds. Are you sticking with bits or bytes?

1 byte = 8 bits.

Learned this in highschool back in the 1980's.

overclockers.com also pointed the error by titling it " a case of broken telephone. ".

What causes the confusion is when someone like me writes TB instead of Tb. The article says 300 terabits, the quote says terabit.

Well it took us what? 35 years to get to get to 1gb, 14 years for 500gb, and finally 2 more years for 1 tb....

so with that kinda rate, i don't doubt 37tb hard drives in the next 10 years.

Back