3007WFP-HC issue

Ok I just got mine today and I'm getting colored lines and that's it..It only came with a single link DVI cable.. I should at least get a picture with that right? Thanks

If you are SURE the cable is a single link DVI, get a DUAL link DVI to test the monitor. We own six of the Dell 30" panels and each one came with a clearly labeled Dual Link DVI cable

Yea it's a single link.. I got the monitor from the dell outlet deal.. Thing doesn't have a scratch on it, still has the sticker covering the dell logo on the front.. But there is no picture.. When I hit the brightness + and - I dont get anything on the screen..

Mine came with the single link DVI also (and a hdmi for whatever reason) went to frys and got a 6ft dual link for 9.00 and monitor fired up perfectly.

Once you fire it up, do me a favor. Load a game up and stare at the textures that are moving (solid ones work best) and see if you notice a "screen door effect" when the texture moves and as soon as the texture is still the effect goes away. Im trying to figure out if its the monitor that I just got or if this effects all these models.

Did the single link cable give you any pictue at all though? I need to know if I just need to get a cable or the monitor is broken.. Thanks

The single link did not post ANY picture at all. In fact, i got blue lines running down the screen. It requires a dual link for any screen post at all.

Nice. Let me know about that screen door effect thing I was noticing when you get it working. I went ahead and RMA'd the monitor and a new one is en route as it seemed no one else had experienced that effect. Its a shame as the one I have has zero dead pixels.

Well I got it hooked up with the new cable last night and it works.. I didn't get a chance to mess with it just enough to make sure it was working ok..

Hey guys, I can't post in the hot deals forum yet, so I'll just bump this.

I got my 3007, and it is great except for the constant noise. It is a low buzz - sounds like crickets outside that are just at the edge of hearing. It doesn't bother me when i have audio going, but silence is golden, and I guess I'm spoiled by my 2407 being completely silent.

Are you guys getting ANY noise at all? Those of you with loud computers almost surely won't hear it i guess.

Also, my eyeballs are killing me. I dunno if it is from having a 24 and a 30 on at the same time or what.

On the plus side: mine came in perfect shape with the needed cables, and has no dead pixels that i can see.

EDIT: turning down the brightness 3 notches brings it down to an almost inaudible level. Unfortunately the screen looks a lot worse as well.

Once you fire it up, do me a favor. Load a game up and stare at the textures that are moving (solid ones work best) and see if you notice a "screen door effect" when the texture moves and as soon as the texture is still the effect goes away. Im trying to figure out if its the monitor that I just got or if this effects all these models.

My 3 most recent monitor purchases (all refurbs) have had this problem.
The pixels on LCD monitors switch polarity at 30hz. If they all changed at the same time, the whole screen would flicker. To hide the flicker, half the pixels are changed at a time, in a pattern like a checkerboard. If the polarity inversion settings are to far off from optimal, you can see the pattern, especially when moving your eyes at the same speed as the pattern.

There are some test patterns here:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php

Good luck with getting a better one... maybe I should try an exchange. My 20" NEC was horrible. (it also causes temporary image retention, though I haven't noticed it with my Dell, only my 2 NECs)

Also, my eyeballs are killing me. I dunno if it is from having a 24 and a 30 on at the same time or what.

On the plus side: mine came in perfect shape with the needed cables, and has no dead pixels that i can see.

EDIT: turning down the brightness 3 notches brings it down to an almost inaudible level. Unfortunately the screen looks a lot worse as well.
The squealing is a design problem. I went through 4 3007's by exchanging, and they all made the noise to varying degrees, and the brightness always affected it. The one I stuck with is inaudible at 2 brightness notches below max, so I'm happy. It can be damn hard to get an acceptable monitor these days.

I havn't noticed the noise issues but my computer's are very loud.. What game are you seeing the textures moving in? Only played COD4 last night for a while with 4x AA. I looked really close in a few places and couldn't see any issues.. Only thing i dont like is the monitor is really red heavy. Tried some premade color config's but they still look off.. Going to buy a spyder 3 and see how that turns out..

Only thing i dont like is the monitor is really red heavy. Tried some premade color config's but they still look off.. Going to buy a spyder 3 and see how that turns out..
The colors should be fine after calibration. These guys measured a Delta E of 0.4 afterward. w/o a HW calibrator, at least run the nvidia optimization wizard or use Calibrize.

Oh man. Test 7b for the inversion walk nearly threw me into a seizure. Is this a defective monitor?

This monitor is very difficult to calibrate. I used the Spyder 3 and 3 and still did not get the results that I desired. Mainly too much color saturation. I was using 9800GTX SLI and the problem is the Nvidia control panel does not allow you to turn down the saturation enough.

So I replaced the 9800GTX SLI with a ATI 4870 and the difference is night and day. The Nivida control panel is excellent for calibrating. Not only does it have a Saturation adjustment that works but also a Color Temperature adjustment. Spyder 3 calibration and then fine tune adjustment with the ATI control panel makes the picture on this monitor unbelievable!!!!!! I have two of these side by side now.

Probably will get the 4870 X2 at this point.

Solaris,

Could you run the inversion test on your monitor in full screen and see how tests 5-7 come out? Test 7 was absolutely awful on this monitor that I have. The pixels were crawling all over the place. Im wondering if its just this one that I have or if other owners of this model suffer the same. Thanks!!!

you'll have to scroll through the different inversions to get to 7a and 7b.

Solaris,

Could you run the inversion test on your monitor in full screen and see how tests 5-7 come out? Test 7 was absolutely awful on this monitor that I have. The pixels were crawling all over the place. Im wondering if its just this one that I have or if other owners of this model suffer the same. Thanks!!!

I have a Dell 3007WFP-HC as well, 2560x1600 with the dual-link DVI cable. 7a it is barely crawling at all, just an extremely slight amount, 7b I don't have to look for it but it isn't wild or all over the place, just a small and steady amount. Tests 5 and 6 I couldn't tell anything off about. I'm using a pre-made ICC profile that I got from a link in the hot deals thread.

Solaris,

I have a slight flicker on Test 7b using full screen.

I could test my other 3007 but dont have the dual link cable yet.
Maybe if I have time I will switch the cables later today.

That glare coat on this monitor which has a grainy/sparkly look sometimes stands out on lighter backgrounds.

Thanks GoldenTiger. On my 3007WFP-HC I get really really bad flashing / flickering on 7b to where it instills seizures! I'm going to look for the profile that you are using and see if that does anything to help.

Also, for anyone thinking of RMA'ing their monitor, good luck. I originally submitted an RMA with advance replacement on December 23rd, and still have not received a new monitor. The 'replacement' keeps getting put on back order according to about 3 hours of total conversation now with people in India. Dell customer service is RIDICULOUS now. My express code on the back of the monitor brings up a reference that the monitor was purchased originally in Thailand?!?. I am losing my patience trying to get my replacement monitor for this broken refurb that they sent me.

I got my 3007 monitor refurb last week with the right cable, only I have an issue. Sometimes when there are pictures with a lot of black there are green dots flickering on the black areas only. Is this normal? Its not all the time,. but I am worried it may get progressively worse.

I got my 3007 monitor refurb last week with the right cable, only I have an issue. Sometimes when there are pictures with a lot of black there are green dots flickering on the black areas only. Is this normal? Its not all the time,. but I am worried it may get progressively worse.

I see the same thing with my HP 30''. They go away as I enlarge the image. I wonder why they appear in the first place?

I only get them when I visit a particular forum, I've found that turning off the monitor and turning it back on gets rid of them. I've never had them appear anywhere else. I have no idea what the cause is and curious myself.

I do get that but only on moving solid dark colored objects. Its the primary reason I submitted an RMA for this monitor. Im afraid it will get worse later on.

My refurb didn't come with a cable. I tried the cable that I use for my 20" 1600*1200 screen. The cable was ordered directly from Hong Kong. While it worked perfectly with the 20", it caused the brightly colored subpixels in dark areas when connected to the 3007.

After finally convincing Dell that they were supposed to send me a cable with my monitor, they overnighted a cable. It works perfectly.

FINALLY got the RMA approved. It seems the hold up is in the replacement monitor. The tech I spoke to said that there are very few refurb replacements to send out and it can take a month or more to get a replacement sent out. So in case anyone here wants an RMA of a defective refurb model.....get ready to wait awhile.

FINALLY got the RMA approved. It seems the hold up is in the replacement monitor. The tech I spoke to said that there are very few refurb replacements to send out and it can take a month or more to get a replacement sent out. So in case anyone here wants an RMA of a defective refurb model.....get ready to wait awhile.

That makes no sense. There a quite a few listed on the Dell Outlet.
Sounds like you would be better off doing a return and then purchase another one if they want to play games

Sounds like they are taking you for a ride. I ordered last night with like 16 listed and it already shipped so I would say they have some available.

I'll try those test patterns when I get home..Havn't been able to get on here stupid forums have been messed up..I havn't notice and thing wrong with mine knock on wood.. The only thing I see every once in a while is the sparkel crap from the screen coating.. Other then that I love this thing..

In terms of performance of the glass and colors and not looking at lag but just static screen quality how is the 3008 vs the 3007?

I had the same problem with these green "specs" or "noise". They appear sometimes at random in dark areas of the screen. Turning the monitor on and off fixed it for me most times.

It appears to be video card-related. It happens with my X1900XT. Apparently some folks say that these ATI cards have weak DVI output signal. When I replaced my X1900XT with an 8800GTS, the problem went away.

Hope this helps.

Getting a 3007wfp-hc replacement is an absolute nightmare. Dell makes your life a living hell trying to get it to happen. If I have to replace mine again I'll probably just end up returning it and going with another brand. They're not as customer friendly as they once were.

I have a slight flicker on Test 7b using full screen.

I could test my other 3007 but dont have the dual link cable yet.
Maybe if I have time I will switch the cables later today.

That glare coat on this monitor which has a grainy/sparkly look sometimes stands out on lighter backgrounds.

So I tested my monitors side by side. They both flicker on Test 7b. What is interesting though is that if I turn the resolution down to 1920 x 1200 the flicker goes away. In fact it seems that any lower resolution gets rid of the flickering.

They sure do make your life a living hell trying to get a replacement. I just got a call today from the RMA manager and he said the replacement has been held up again. I am up to 32 days now since the RMA was issued.

I tried the 7a and 7b on my 2405 24" dell and it passes all of those tests with zero flicker at all. It must be these 3007's only.

So I tested my monitors side by side. They both flicker on Test 7b. What is interesting though is that if I turn the resolution down to 1920 x 1200 the flicker goes away. In fact it seems that any lower resolution gets rid of the flickering.

When you use a lower resolution, the cause of the flicker is still there, but the pattern doesn't line up exactly right with the pixels. The flickering of the test pattern isn't really a problem, as you'll likely never run into a pattern like that in real use, it just helps to diagnose the problem. If you can't notice any problems without that specific pattern,there is nothing to worry about.

I tried the 7a and 7b on my 2405 24" dell and it passes all of those tests with zero flicker at all. It must be these 3007's only.
All LCDs will flicker with the correct pattern, but it can be minimal if the monitor is calibrated properly at the factory (nothing to do with color calibration).
The 2405 likely flickers on 4a or 4b. If not, it may have a different pattern it reacts too.

pattern 7 is like pattern 4, but rotated 90°.

Thats good to know about the flicker. I will not focus on that so much then. I got the replacement monitor last night (after 33 days post RMA) and looks like I got a pretty used one. I plugged it in and noticed a few dead pixels right off the bat. The thing that I havent noticed before however until removing this one from the box is how the top portion of the screen pushes back easily like its not attached well. I tried this on my other 3007 that I am replacing and same thing. The top of the screen from left to right and mostly in the middle is totally loose, and can be pused back almost 3mm. Is this normal for this monitor?? It seems that with the new one that there is a lot more light bleed also and its not a uniform brightness on a black screen. When you look side to side, it almost looks like a TN screen. Anyone else try pusing gently on the top of their 3007 and see if it moves back and forth?? Thanks!!!

Back