3000$ build first timer

https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...stNumber=10820227&WishListTitle=new+build+fix

Parts I already have, "24 LG LCD and the logitech 5k speakers. I spent weeks looking up all the hardware and trolling these forums pretty sure they are all great parts but you guys can criticize it if you like.:cool: This is my first time ever building a PC and I was wondering if you guys had any pointers for me. Or think maybe I should just get a boutique to build to(I would have to downgrade parts doing that). I have done stuff in the past like put in ram, video card, dvd rom starting from ground up shouldn't be to hard nowadays right?

just glacing over it you have (3) cases. just thought I would let you know.

Will look over your selections more indepth later.

just glacing over it you have (3) cases. just thought I would let you know.

Will look over your selections more indepth later.
Werid it only shows me as having 1. I did notice this moring the case wasen't in the wish list so I added it again

You have 2 heatsinks, shows 1 case for me. Other than that everything looks good.

Because $3000 can be spent on other components which will provide you with a much, much bigger return in performance. If you have a 24 inch monitor, I would consider going SLI with dual top-end cards (although I would probably wait for the 9800 GTX to come out in a week vs the 9800GX2s, which don't scale so well in Quad SLI.)

If you haven't yet, read the new GenHard build sticky to learn about what you should be looking for considering your large budget. It's very extensive and should help you get a good build going.

I just built a system for the same amount of money. I went with the quad core Q6600 and with the money I would have saved from buying an Extreme chip, I was able to do SLI and also could afford a really nice 24" monitor and new speakers also. So yeah, I would definitely listen to Mark about that. I think having dual video cards is much nicer than having the Extreme chip (And I'm a hardware noob! ;) )

Because $3000 can be spent on other components which will provide you with a much, much bigger return in performance. If you have a 24 inch monitor, I would consider going SLI with dual top-end cards (although I would probably wait for the 9800 GTX to come out in a week vs the 9800GX2s, which don't scale so well in Quad SLI.)

If you haven't yet, read the new GenHard build sticky to learn about what you should be looking for considering your large budget. It's very extensive and should help you get a good build going.
Well I thought about SLI but decided not to cause it seems like its only better if I had like a 30" LCD to run 2560 x 1600. Also I would need a nvidia mobo and only one I would even think about getting is 790i, and that will put me over budget with DDR3 and keeping same processer and other parts. Then if I don't get the extreme chip I am back sitting here doing nothing till who knows when.:(

Well I thought about SLI but decided not to cause it seems like its only better if I had like a 30" LCD to run 2560 x 1600. Also I would need a nvidia mobo and only one I would even think about getting is 790i, and that will put me over budget with DDR3 and keeping same processer and other parts. Then if I don't get the extreme chip I am back sitting here doing nothing till who knows when.:(

Really? I was told that SLI started making a difference with 24" monitors, not 30" ones.. which is why I went SLI in the first place after picking out a 24" one :) Also, I've heard great things about the MSI P7N Diamon 780i board (Which is why I also got one), so you shouldn't just be limited to getting a 790i board when the 780i is nice.

well your rig looks good. I mean its your money to spend on the chip. Now what are you going to do for LCD monitor.

I got a 150GB raptor, thinking the speed would be great. It was a total waste of money, it wasn't any faster than my other Hard Drive and it was much smaller and louder. I'd highly advise against it, maybe get another 500GB in its place. You'll want Vista x64 to take advantage of that 4GBs of Ram, maybe a home premium x64 oem disc. Other than that it's all good hardware, have fun with it.

Just a few points:

CPU, too expensive for the performance. Fast, newer dual core or Q6600. Quads have limited value at this point anyway. I have a Q6600 and its still way fast. Not many multi-threaded apps yet to test them anyway. 1000 vs. 250 dollars, not a hard choice.
Buy a nice ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7. cheaper,quiet.

Buy a bigger PSU. more power for your next build. Ultra X3 1000W. very good performer for the money and modular.:D usually found for around 260 dollars......newegg doesnt carry Ultra power supplies, though......look at Performance-pcs.

That X-Fi spin-off is way too much unless you're an audiophile. The sound card that comes in the ASUS box with the MB is quite good and will save you even more money. I have an X-Fi extreme music, cost me 90 bucks in the day and is more than enough for gaming and the like. I also have the first generation of the ASUS Supreme sound card and it was very close in performance to the X-Fi.

I've never seen the value in fancy HDDs. I just buy two or three cheap ones.

Oh, yeah......dont forget to buy an operating system......XP,Vista.....32 bit, 64bit????
Fancy memory is just as worthless.....save 50 bucks; if you really want OCZ, why not just buy these, they're nice and shiny......http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227280 and less than 100 dollars. The more stuff looks cool, the more likely it will break. F1 versus Nascar mentality, I guess.

Really? I was told that SLI started making a difference with 24" monitors, not 30" ones.. which is why I went SLI in the first place after picking out a 24" one :) Also, I've heard great things about the MSI P7N Diamon 780i board (Which is why I also got one), so you shouldn't just be limited to getting a 790i board when the 780i is nice.
Well from most reviews the ddr2 nvidia mobos seem nothing more then just ok.

well your rig looks good. I mean its your money to spend on the chip. Now what are you going to do for LCD monitor.
I have the LG 24"

I got a 150GB raptor, thinking the speed would be great. It was a total waste of money, it wasn't any faster than my other Hard Drive and it was much smaller and louder. I'd highly advise against it, maybe get another 500GB in its place. You'll want Vista x64 to take advantage of that 4GBs of Ram, maybe a home premium x64 oem disc. Other than that it's all good hardware, have fun with it.
Well raptors still have fastest seek time, I thought about maybe getting the new Seagate ES.2 but I really don't use alot of space. And I will get Vista x64.

Just a few points:

CPU, too expensive for the performance. Fast, newer dual core or Q6600. Quads have limited value at this point anyway. I have a Q6600 and its still way fast. Not many multi-threaded apps yet to test them anyway. 1000 vs. 250 dollars, not a hard choice.
Buy a nice ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7. cheaper,quiet.

Buy a bigger PSU. more power for your next build. Ultra X3 1000W. very good performer for the money and modular.:D usually found for around 260 dollars......newegg doesnt carry Ultra power supplies, though......look at Performance-pcs.

That X-Fi spin-off is way too much unless you're an audiophile. The sound card that comes in the ASUS box with the MB is quite good and will save you even more money. I have an X-Fi extreme music, cost me 90 bucks in the day and is more than enough for gaming and the like. I also have the first generation of the ASUS Supreme sound card and it was very close in performance to the X-Fi.

I've never seen the value in fancy HDDs. I just buy two or three cheap ones.

Oh, yeah......dont forget to buy an operating system......XP,Vista.....32 bit, 64bit????
Well in the heatsink reviews I have read the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is right up their with the TRUE in performance. I don't think I will need a 1000w PSU unless I go SLI with alot of harddrives. I have given some thought about the soundcard I figured its one of the best ones and its only 160$ and it fit in my budget.

The MSI P7N Diamond is an excellent OCer and avoids the issues had with other 780i boards.

Well from most reviews the ddr2 nvidia mobos seem nothing more then just ok.

I have the LG 24"

Well raptors still have fastest seek time, I thought about maybe getting the new Seagate ES.2 but I really don't use alot of space. And I will get Vista x64.

Well in the heatsink reviews I have read the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is right up their with the TRUE in performance. I don't think I will need a 1000w PSU unless I go SLI with alot of harddrives. I have given some thought about the soundcard I figured its one of the best ones and its only 160$ and it fit in my budget.

Don't get me wrong. Build what makes you happy. I was just giving you some advice based on my trials and errors.
You should consider more power, though. If you upgrade at some point it will be the smartest thing you do now. It wasn't too long ago that 500W was considered a whole bunch of power, now I have several sitting around with nothing to do.:D

The Q9450's and E3110'S are available now at tankguys.com:
http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1817
http://www.tankguys.com/product_info.php?products_id=1816

Please, please consider one of these as they can perform just as well as the extreme chip. With all the changes that are going to be happening in the next 6 to 12 months, it's just not worth blowing all that money. Go SLI with your 9800GX2's or save even more money and get two 8800GTX's. With the money you save on a processor and graphics cards you could buy a 37' or 42' 1080p Westy. =) Oh, the Raptor X's rock and if you really want to see some speed get two and RAID 0 em' up.

Thanks for the input guys. Looks like I will wait for 9800GTX review and SLI them with Q9450 maybe...:cool:

Yes they have the lowest seek time, but they also have lower area density, so their transfer rates aren't significantly better than the newer 7200 rpm drives and may even perform worse in boot time and game loading times. So the only thing that they would clearly win in would be if you ran seek time benchmarks.

Now apply the price per GB test and the 10k RPM drives don't look so attractive anymore.

Now this is looking at it from the perspective of a regular desktop user...but Raptors are more expensive, louder, hotter, and higher power drawing drives for the same or worse performance than a larger "normal" drive.

Just because you have the budget doesn't mean you need to spend it all. :p Nothing wrong with saved money, if you don't want to save money then you could always go with the smarter recommendations anyway and send the left over money to me :D I need to pay for college and you'll have spent all 3000 dollars anyway.

Yes they have the lowest seek time, but they also have lower area density, so their transfer rates aren't significantly better than the newer 7200 rpm drives and may even perform worse in boot time and game loading times. So the only thing that they would clearly win in would be if you ran seek time benchmarks.

Now apply the price per GB test and the 10k RPM drives don't look so attractive anymore.

Now this is looking at it from the perspective of a regular desktop user...but Raptors are more expensive, louder, hotter, and higher power drawing drives for the same or worse performance than a larger "normal" drive.

Just because you have the budget doesn't mean you need to spend it all. :p Nothing wrong with saved money, if you don't want to save money then you could always go with the smarter recommendations anyway and send the left over money to me :D I need to pay for college and you'll have spent all 3000 dollars anyway.
You talking about the new 32MB cache drives?

If you live anywhere near a Micro Center I know for a fact my store(Boston) is getting a RIDICULOUS amount of the Q9450s in tomorrow.

Edit: They are going to be OEMs with the opportunity to buy extended service plans for cheap($12).
Also get RAM FOR FREE!!!!

Back