$300-400 build for my parents

mschind0

n00b
Background: My parents’ computer is over three years old and it’s exceedingly painful to use – when they boot up each morning it takes 5+ minutes, apps that launch in 2 seconds on my PC take a minute on theirs, etc. And it’s my fault. My dad’s computer died and he needed a new one immediately and, being foolish, I listened to him when he said he wanted the cheapest model available – I believe it's an HP and was $400 at the time. Combine that with Windows Vista and it was a nightmare from the start. So while I know people say that for low-end systems you can just go with a pre-built from a brand name, I would like to put it together for them and help them make their money go further. I have built two PCs in the last 18 months with parts advice from the people at [H]ardforum, and I enjoy it, which is another reason to put it together.

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This is a basic PC for my parents for web browsing, email and Word and Outlook. They rarely have more than 3 apps going at once.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$300-400 for everything I need, not including tax and shipping. If I can get a good/adequate system for less, that’d be great because they’re using a 6-year old monitor that should be upgraded also. I want a fairly solid system that doesn’t feel like every part was skimped on and that a low price was the only thing that mattered.

3) Where do you live?
Northern NJ. I live near a Microcenter.

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget?
CPU, motherboard, HDD, RAM, case, power supply. Since they’re only $20, I’ll throw in a new DVD burner. I think 2GB RAM should be enough. For the hard drive, 500 GB is the max and 333 GB is fine. The onboard video is sufficient, I think. I’ll probably get some Arctic Silver for $5; while not necessary, for the amount of money I feel a good coolant is worth it.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
They can use the mouse and keyboard from their old computer. They said their current monitor (which I gave them) is fine, but they also told me to get them the cheapest possible PC last time, and it’s only 19” and 6 years old and I think they should move to a 24” monitor.

6) Will you be overclocking?
Never

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
19” now, maybe upgrade to something bigger.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP, but at the same time there's no rush.

9) What features do you need in a motherboard?
None.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?
No. I am going to buy a Windows 7 Home Premium from Newegg for $100. I guess 64-bit processors are the default now, but 32-bit is fine too.

Is the OS part of that $400 budget?

EDIT: Prelmi build anyway:
$104 - AMD Phenom II X4 840 CPU + Biostar A780L3G AM3 760G mATX Motherboard MC Combo
$40 - Patriot PSD34G13332 2GB DDR3 1333 RAM
$40 - Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
$23 - Liteon 24X DVD Burner
$45 - Antec Earthwatts Green EA-430D 430W PSU
$61 - Cooler Master HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 ATX Case
---
$313 shipped.

Used Amazon since they don't charge tax to NJ residents. Plus free shipping too.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The OS was in addition to the $300-400 price tag; I was thinking $400-500 and took out $100. I should have mentioned that, sorry.

Thanks, Danny. Your build looks quite good, to be honest. And I'm an Amazon Prime member. :D

Cpu
AMD Athlon II X3 450 3.2GHz AM3 95W Triple-Core

Mobo
ASRock 880GM-LE AM3880G Radeon 4250 IGP Micro ATX

Ram
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333MHz

Hdd
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB SATA

Psu
SILVERSTONE ST40F-ES 400W80 PLUS Certified

Case
Rosewill Blackbone

There you go.

Just go look for them at newegg

And get Mx-4 thermal compound not As 5

Danny,

It appears that the AMD Phenom II 840 is out of stock at both of the nearby Microcenters. Could you suggest an alternative?

Also, the RAM in your list now shows up as 4GB for $50 rather than 2GB for $40. I think the build only needs 2GB of RAM. Would this work instead? GSkill 2GB DDR3 1333

Thanks

It appears that the AMD Phenom II 840 is out of stock at both of the nearby Microcenters. Could you suggest an alternative?
Go for the Phenom II 555 combo deal then. Same motherboard.

Also, the RAM in your list now shows up as 4GB for $50 rather than 2GB for $40. I think the build only needs 2GB of RAM. Would this work instead? GSkill 2GB DDR3 1333
I just forgot to change the "2GB" to "4GB"

That G.Skill RAM will be fine.

Back