30" with best black level?

datap1mp

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 23, 2006
Messages
138
I have a 3007wfp-hc and I'm wondering if any of the current 30" monitors available have much better black level performance?

This is the only area that I am not totally satisfied with my current monitor, even with the brightness turned all the way down.
 
34746.png



Looks like the 27" Apple is the one to get, but I really don't want to go any smaller :(
 
For all you know, it could just mean the ACD27's LED backlight can just turn further down vs the field of CCFL monitors there :p
 
For all you know, it could just mean the ACD27's LED backlight can just turn further down vs the field of CCFL monitors there :p

Correct. I have the 27" ACD and the black levels are kinda poor, as they will be on any IPS. More than acceptable though.
 
Black levels on 30 inchers aren't going to be good due to the IPS panels. Really dissapointing really but... turn on some lights and it becomes not bothersome. I find it hard to game in the dark with these things anyway.

Antiglare... bad uniformity at peak white... none of these bother me as much as the bad blacks. Hope someone makes a "Kuro" PC monitor 30 inches. :)
 
This is probably not what you're looking for, but if you're not against using a TV as a monitor, I would suggest getting an LED with local dimming. I have an XBR HX929 and the black levels (from local dimming) and contrast are incredible. Looks way better than even my 27 ACD.
 
This is probably not what you're looking for, but if you're not against using a TV as a monitor, I would suggest getting an LED with local dimming. I have an XBR HX929 and the black levels (from local dimming) and contrast are incredible. Looks way better than even my 27 ACD.

I thought about this too actually... but 1080p for a PC monitor that's at least 46 inches... is pushing it isn't it?
 
I thought about this too actually... but 1080p for a PC monitor that's at least 46 inches... is pushing it isn't it?

Depends I suppose.

I guess you have to consider that TVs are meant to be watched from atleast a few feet away. I forget the exact number, but somewhere at around 5 or 6 feet you won't be able discern any higher res anyway.

That said, I do most of my work on normal desktop monitors.. and use my TV for multimedia and games. Don't really need deep black levels for the everyday grind.
 
Depends I suppose.

I guess you have to consider that TVs are meant to be watched from atleast a few feet away. I forget the exact number, but somewhere at around 5 or 6 feet you won't be able discern any higher res anyway.

That said, I do most of my work on normal desktop monitors.. and use my TV for multimedia and games. Don't really need deep black levels for the everyday grind.

True but a 30 inch monitor up close and personal is way different gaming experience then even a 50 inch further away.

Does the haloing in the 929 bother you much? I was even thinking about getting the Sharp Elite 60 inch as my HTPC/gaming display.
 
The haloing doesn't bother me at all. I rarely notice it - and the only time you'll ever see it is straight white next to black. That said, I suppose it might be something you'll have to see for yourself to consider whether that's something that'll bother you. You always have the option to turn off local dimming altogether, but that would really defeat the purpose of having a local dimming set in the first place.

Even against the HX929 (which is generally regarded as overpriced), the sharp elite 60 is crazy priced at $5500+.
 
True but a 30 inch monitor up close and personal is way different gaming experience then even a 50 inch further away.

Does the haloing in the 929 bother you much? I was even thinking about getting the Sharp Elite 60 inch as my HTPC/gaming display.

Yea the Elite is what made me see how terrible my black level is now :(
 
The haloing doesn't bother me at all. I rarely notice it - and the only time you'll ever see it is straight white next to black. That said, I suppose it might be something you'll have to see for yourself to consider whether that's something that'll bother you. You always have the option to turn off local dimming altogether, but that would really defeat the purpose of having a local dimming set in the first place.

Even against the HX929 (which is generally regarded as overpriced), the sharp elite 60 is crazy priced at $5500+.

I don't think those local dimming displays are over priced just by the merit of how few good local dimming displays are out there. I wouldn't touch any display besides a Pioneer Kuro without that local dimming tech. So I was thining going huge Sony or one of those Sharp Elites.. They are both realy nice. The Elite just looks spectacular though. There is no haloing on that display at all.
 
Back
Top