30% off cupon "hack"

Maximus825 said:
Went to Best Buy today and asked for a Back to School Coupon Book. I was told they didn't have any. I was going to buy a Westinghouse 22" anyways so I went to the display section and found the book laying there. It was only a 15% off one. But I took it up and tried to use it. I was denied on 2 parts. 1) A monitor is not an accessory and 2) The coupon cannot be used on sale items. So, I told them that was too bad as I was going to use the money I saved on a 3 year protection plan. The guy thought about it and said he'd give me the 10% off on it if I bought a plan. So I got the LCD and a protection plan for $400. Not bad at all I'd say. This is a VERY nice display!

Now go back next week and tell them you don't want the warranty. :D You gotta love the "it's on sale" BS. The price online has been 399 since july (maybe longer). The only reason they raise the price in stores is so they can claim it is on sale and prevent people from using discount coupons of any type when it's at its normal price.

Just wanted to confirm that I was able to get the deal today. They had plenty of coupons lying around you just have to take your time and find the right station.

thanks for the info on this. Was able to use this yesterday. Just walked in found the coupons and the first one I grabbed was a winner!

I went up to the BB in Plano and looked through one stack (I guess they were busy, no sales associates bugged me) and it appears that other people already sifted through them.

Got no 30%'s but I'll come back tomorrow or something and look again. They had several stacks of them out.

Someone in the area give me a 30% coupon, please! :p

jebo_4jc said:
no
computer accessories

what if i was to use the 42" westinghouse as a monitor for my computer? think i can convince them that its an accessory?

SkyyNet said:
what if i was to use the 42" westinghouse as a monitor for my computer? think i can convince them that its an accessory?
I think somebody tried that on another model TV/Monitor with no success. If you get a REALLY nice and/or incompetent manager you might get it by, but very doubtful. On the other hand, won't hurt to try. All they can say is NO.

thePP

Is it just computer ACCESSORIES or will it cover computers as well? In the market for a laptop, 30% is a big chunk of savings on one of those :D

"what if i was to use the 42" westinghouse as a monitor for my computer? think i can convince them that its an accessory?"

I have used the 30% coupon to get the Westinghouse 22" monitor, an audigy 4 soundcard, and now a 120gig WD Passport.

I tried to pick up an LCD TV too. I tried every possible intellectual argument you could think of but in the end failed.

The closest I got was to make the case that on the 20% discount side "TV DVDs" was listed as an item. I held that TV DVDs had to be two separate categories listed on the same line, because otherwise it would just be redundant. They argued that I was right, however they couldn't discount any of the TVs further because for the life of the coupon all the TVs were already discounted.

What you could do, what I didn't try (just gave up) is try to make the same argument and when/if they respond like they did to me, just tell them that you have already used the coupon to buy items already on sale.

In fact that is not a bad idea; I may have to go try that. lol

Just be warned, TV DVDs obviously means DVDs that aren't movies, if the salesperson is smart, they'll argue this, but don't worry, they probably aren't! haha

I wish you luck (if you succeed I’m marching back down there and telling them I know someone who got a discount).

I have 5 coupons, all for 30% found them at the Custmer Service Desk, Fairless Hills PA

Tried another BB no go, but if anyone wants one I can mail it tomorrow, PM me for details.

I was tempted to get a newer Raptor for 120$ish if I was allowed to use the rebate.

Don't have the cash right now but I can help out someone else.

BestBuy hasn't really placed anything on sale lately... maybe this labor day weekend they'll have something for us to use these coupons.

I've used a few of these already, once on a 22in Westinghouse, and they even gave me the instant rebate after the 30% off. However, the best thing that I've gotten with the 30% off coupon is an openbox Sony DSC-T9 digital camera for $200, which after I discovered they jipped me on the charger, I took it back to them and they exchanged my openbox camera with a brand new one. Later this week I plan to see what other things I can get since the best buy here rocks. I even had some of the employees help me find the coupon books w/o the #'s by the copyright symbol :D

Is there anyway those of you who have purchased the Westinghouse 22" using the 30% coupon can post a copy of your receipt as proof?

-Thanks

I was able to score the 500GB external HDDs for $140. The original cost is $300. The store had them marked down to $200. When the cashier scanned the coupon against the $200 it came up $0. She said the reason was it was hardware and not an accessory. I spoke to a manager who agreed the coupon should be valid. So I picked up 2 of them.

OldSpice said:
Is there anyway those of you who have purchased the Westinghouse 22" using the 30% coupon can post a copy of your receipt as proof?

-Thanks

I cleaned a paycheck and my reciepts from that day in the washing machine :rolleyes: , but I still have the one I used to get my mom her 20.1in widescreen LG monitor, I'll try to get a pic of it for the disbelievers.

Ok so I couldn't find the recipts for the monitors but here is a shot of me using two 30% off coupons within 5min of each other to buy Hard drives(much like buying a monitor, not an accessory).

Click me

The coupons expire TODAY (Saturday 9/9/06), so use em or lose em!

I scored another 750G drive today, the checkout guy freaked, "This is like $120 off dude are you kidding me!". Manager approved it with no problem. I really didn't need the drive but It's great stickin it to BB! Haaaaahaha!

thePP

PixPirate said:
I really didn't need the drive but It's great stickin it to BB! Haaaaahaha!

Oh yeah, you really stuck it to them, giving them your money and all.

:p

I am sure they made a profit in the end, no matter how small.

PixPirate said:
The coupons expire TODAY (Saturday 9/9/06), so use em or lose em!

I scored another 750G drive today, the checkout guy freaked, "This is like $120 off dude are you kidding me!". Manager approved it with no problem. I really didn't need the drive but It's great stickin it to BB! Haaaaahaha!
thePP

Isn't that the truth. I was once a regular BB shopper....once they refused to price match Frys on in stock software, and had it been open box they would have refused a refund as well, I quit giving them my business. May try to pick up a monitor or something else to ebay today.

I'm still kinda pissed that they refused to apply it to some Verbatim DVDs, when those are clearly accessories. Best Buy really does suck.

so i found that you're not able to use coupons on items that are less than $100, there is this thing that says "on orders over $100" but i got away with an ipod mini dock, just that as a single purchase for 10% off.

then i went back in and i got myself a wireless mouse for 30% off, i had to fight her on it but at the very end she gave it to me. it was the logitech mx610. she was like "next time sir, don't tell us you used the coupon 10 times or something, you're only supposed to use it once" i was like "woops."

Social engineering at its finest. I was able to get a 750gig seagate sata drive with my 30% off coupon. I had to go to two stores but it was worth it. I was nice to the cashier and she tried to scan the coupon but it would not scan so I let her know that I had checked with customer service and they had said that the hard drive should qualify. She took off the coupon manually. Did any body read the coupons? They were very vague as to what qualified and what did not.

frankyk said:
then i went back in and i got myself a wireless mouse for 30% off, i had to fight her on it but at the very end she gave it to me. it was the logitech mx610. she was like "next time sir, don't tell us you used the coupon 10 times or something, you're only supposed to use it once" i was like "woops."

hmm... on all my coupons, they clearly listed "keyboards and mice" under the 20% off catagory...

cheers!

Back