+30 ghz FTW

dekard

2[H]4U
Well.... after a long time watching I decide to join the [H]orde. I just added a dual proc Dell Poweredge 2850 with 3 instances of the f@h console running. I also added the console service client to my laptop so when I've got it plugged in it will fold. And an Optiflex 210l dual core workstation along with an old Tyan based 933 mhz system.

Here's my total right now:

2.8 * 6
933 * 2

Total is 18.6 ghz folding as we speak. I'll add my two home boxes, media pc and two duallie servers for another 12 ghz. So, 30 ghz online should make a difference, I'd think.

SWEET....welcome to the addiction....and with that kinda of initial firepower, you should climbing the ranks rather fast...and it seems you have already acquired the taste to borg so welcome and have some fun :)

Dont forget to get a badge from http://hardfolding.com ....there sexy :)

VIVA LA HORDE

Thanks guys.. I'm watching the server temp climb a bit, but its certainly not going to hurt anything. What put me over the edge was watching the server processor usage average 5-8 % under normal usage, I couldn't stand to see the waste anymore. With 3 instances running I've got the cpu around 80% which I hope will not impact anything.

I started folding for team 33 but I haven't seen a location to create a username. I entered what I want my username to be, but how do I register it?

dekard said:
Thanks guys.. I'm watching the server temp climb a bit, but its certainly not going to hurt anything. What put me over the edge was watching the server processor usage average 5-8 % under normal usage, I couldn't stand to see the waste anymore. With 3 instances running I've got the cpu around 80% which I hope will not impact anything.

I started folding for team 33 but I haven't seen a location to create a username. I entered what I want my username to be, but how do I register it?

You dont have to register. You just put in whatever handle you want to use, as well as the team number, and it gets to work. What name did you put in?

dekard said:

if you just started and havent turned in a WU then you arent going to show up anywhere...once you turn in that first WU (anywhere from 12 hours to 2 days) then you will start popping up at stanford's site and then http://hardfolding.com (hardfolding gets its stats every 3 hours from stanford's) so you still got a little time before you start showing up. but you well and we will all rejoice :)

VIVA LA HORDE

Viper87227 said:
You dont have to register. You just put in whatever handle you want to use, as well as the team number, and it gets to work. What name did you put in? QUOTE]

I would have liked to get dekard but it was taken, so I'm known there as zahnrosen.

Welcome to the [H]orde!

Let us know if you have any questions/etc.... we'll help you further your addiction---I mean, we'll help with whatever we can :D

Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

OSUguy98 said:
Welcome to the [H]orde!

Let us know if you have any questions/etc.... we'll help you further your addiction---I mean, we'll help with whatever we can :D

Lol, the one nice thing is our lease at the office includes electricity so I can run all the boxes here at full speed. If anyone want to send power hungry boxes here I'll plug'em in.

dekard said:
I prefer blondes and asians. At the same time.
QFT....Nice...you should fit in nicely here :D and i wish had didnt have to pay for electricity :(

VIVA LA HORDE

Anyone want to guesstimate what my daily pointage will be with a cluster like this? With part of the cluster online right now its estimating about 729 points a day. Thats at about 60% capacity since I have none of my home machines running and I'm missing information for 1 933 mhz box and don't have 1 933 box online yet.

if it is EM3 estimating then i would say that is close to accurate...i would give you +- 1k depending on the protiens that you are folding.

Actually, I've got around 15GHz and I push anywhere from 600-1k ppd. So an approximating the double, say 1.2k to 2k easily. :D

On 16.8 ghz Em3 is estimating 730 ppd. I've got 1.8 ghz not online right now, so that will go up to approx 800 ppd. Once I get my home stuff online I'll have another 14.8 ghz... So, 33.4 ghz once I get it all up, should be 1500 - 2000 points a day.

SCHWEET!

Sounds simple but the biggest way to score the most points is to leave the systems on 24/7. Systems on only during business hours etc. just kill PPD averages.

marty9876 said:
Sounds simple but the biggest way to score the most points is to leave the systems on 24/7. Systems on only during business hours etc. just kill PPD averages.
and entering roftranspo as the username boosts your PPD by ALOT...trust me ;)

marty9876 said:

I've noticed that if you pause or close a client completely, the first frame it finishes when it is turned back on takes much much longer.

Case in point, on my Dell (in the sig), if I turn F@H off, frames that normally take about 3 minutes take about 20 when I turn it back on (just the first frame, not the rest)

marty9876 said:
The nice thing about this setup is that all the systems except my laptop are on 24\7, so it should be a strong, solid performance.

I've got 2 linux dualie boxes I'll have to get online tonight and those are strong performers totaling 3 ghz. One is a supermicro and the other an HP which I use for a media server. It might as well fold too.

rayman2k2 said:
I've noticed that if you pause or close a client completely, the first frame it finishes when it is turned back on takes much much longer.

Case in point, on my Dell (in the sig), if I turn F@H off, frames that normally take about 3 minutes take about 20 when I turn it back on (just the first frame, not the rest)
So, restarting would do the same thing, right? Does F@H lose its place and have to start over?

It doesn't loose it's place and start over with the protien, but it'll go back to the last checkpoint or last completed %...

dekard said:
So, restarting would do the same thing, right? Does F@H lose its place and have to start over?
yea it does...it only writes to the HD every so ofter (default is 15 mins...you can change it in the config) so it loses its place but it will start at its last save point.

roftranspo said:
yea it does...it only writes to the HD every so ofter (default is 15 mins...you can change it in the config) so it loses its place but it will start at its last save point.
Interesting... I would think a 15 minute check point would be a little excessive... I like Moose's idea a 3 minute since it would take a lot of uptime to equal 3 mins of processor time. And lets not take into account all the generous cache we're seeing now a days. Why wouldn't they set the default for 3 mins or so?

I think someone tried it out before, and having your checkpoint set to a lower number actually slowed the completion of the protein (more times it has to write to the HD)... So I just leave mine at the default 15 min..

OSUguy98 said:
I think someone tried it out before, and having your checkpoint set to a lower number actually slowed the completion of the protein (more times it has to write to the HD)... So I just leave mine at the default 15 min..

That was me, one thing not taken into account was the run/gen differances. Same protien, but diffeent run/gen. Things can very inside run/gens a little.

marty9876 said:
It's a start... ;)

What kind of processing power do you have going Marty, I'm just wondering what it takes to get that many points on daily basis?

ND40oz said:
What kind of processing power do you have going Marty, I'm just wondering what it takes to get that many points on daily basis?

Everything I see. :)

dekard said:
Come on, you can do better than that.

Actually he's telling the truth... although I don't think the ATM ever made its way into the wild... :cool:

marty's stats from stanford:
Date of last work unit 2006-06-26 13:22:22
Total score 4382317
Overall rank (if points are combined) 43 of 557653
Active processors (within 50 days) 246
Active processors (within 7 days) 202

rayman2k2 said:

oh...i just caught something...it shows in EM3 the first frame after a restart cuz EM3's progess meter only goes up not down...so if you dropped back a frame or what not (lets say you were working a frame22 but the last saved was 21) the folding client will start back at 21 but em3 will only show frame 22 until it gets caught up and moves on to frame 23...this is what it looks to be doing.

roftranspo said:
Total score 4382317

So if I have 2000 machines out there, how do you normally go about installing. Is there a silent switch that I can drop a config file in with or am I manually installing it? Anyone configure an SMS push for the client?

ND40oz said:
So if I have 2000 machines out there, how do you normally go about installing. Is there a silent switch that I can drop a config file in with or am I manually installing it? Anyone configure an SMS push for the client?
ask unhappy_mage...i think he made an installer for the console version. but i dont know where it is at

and where the hell do you have 2000 machines???

roftranspo said:
Total score 4382317

Short by about 20 CPUS at least.

176 field borgs @ 75%. 2.4 GZH > 2.66 GZH call it 2.5 average. Call it 1.875 X 176= 330 GZH 24x7 (production units).

~ 25 systems @ shop @ 100% 24/7 2.5 GZH average = 62.5 GZH

6 GZH home/personal notebook= 6 GZH

1 GZH borged= 1 GZH

Misc corp borged, scheduled tasked while system idle = Who knows

400 GZH 24/7 plus things I've forgotten about.

Back