3 46 inch TVs and nvidia surround

QuadDragon

Limp Gawd
OK so I have a question. Currently I have a 55 inch 3D samsung 8000 model from 2010. I'm running 2 nvidia 480 GTXs. I was thinking about buying two 47 inch septre TVs to do the nvidia surround stuff. Is it worth it? Will the size difference in the TVs make a difference in how they match up? Is it simply too much viewing area to to deal with?

Probably alot of viewing area, depends on how far back you plan on sitting. It is only going to be worth it if you think it is. I sure as hell wouldn't buy 2 more hdtvs for pc gaming. But thats just me!

I'm sitting in a recliner about 5 to 6 foot from the TV keyboard in the lap reclined with a mouse on the coffee table.

Go to one of them Rent to own places and rent them for the weekend and take some pics and video so we can see what it looks like.

Thats fckin hardcore man, you're nuts lol. That shit is going to take up A LOTTTTTTTTT of room.

I wonder if his gpus can even power all three of those screens? There huge! lol I wonder what fps he would see?

I wonder if his gpus can even power all three of those screens? There huge! lol I wonder what fps he would see?

Size doesn't matter. Resolution matters and they are only 1920x1080 at the most.

Also worth considering is input lag. If the two different models you're using have different amounts of input lag, you could get some weird effects in addition to the obvious issues with using screens of different sizes.

[H]ardcore man, go for it! lol. though i know sceptre is cheap but a really crappy brand. i would pay a little more for something a bit more reliable and better quality. i agree with crazyrob as well - you should get something that has comparable input lag to your samsung. avsforum has a large input lag thread you can look into. if money was no object, i would have tried out two more 40 inch lcds for eyefinity a long time ago, lmao. i assume that you checked that nvidia surround should work okay with such a setup. at any rate, post pics if you get everything going :).

I want to see pics of this setup! Also it would be interesting to see the performance of three TVs setup in surround vs three hq monitors that cost the same but obviously would be much smaller.

I want to see pics of this setup! Also it would be interesting to see the performance of three TVs setup in surround vs three hq monitors that cost the same but obviously would be much smaller.

should be the same if they're both the same resolution (1920x1080p), but one would be a heck of a lot larger at a further seating arrangement; input lag and display quality would vary though.

I saw a 3 HDTV setup at a microcenter looked decent to me.

Well. I did Eyefinity with a 50" 46" 32" (in that order left to right). It was cool, the differences didn't matter while I was playing (I was playing UT3 at the time). I think the differences wont matter too much in a living room setting. Now if it was your main rig where you do all your work and play on those panels I'd say go for 3 same.

It won't work...

...and eyefinity is different. You can mismatch hardware with them.

However, identical monitors is a must for nvidia. Even if you did hook up these monitors/tvs, the difference in sizes wouldn't line up properly and for many surround users, is unacceptable. Moreover, even if you matched the resolutions, you're not matching the size of the monitor/tv, and that wouldn't work for you either.

Nvidia is finicky and has to have the same refresh rates, make/model to run surround properly. If it detects a difference, it'll tell u and will be disabled.

From what I gather in your post, you're trying to run a 55/47/47 not three 46" TVs as suggested in your title. Correct? If this is the case, the above applies. If you're running 3 identical devices, you're good.

Last edited:
same refresh rates, make/model to run surround properly. If it detects a difference, it'll tell u and will be disabled.

That is not always true... When i had my First surround setup i had 1 dell 23 one NEC 23 and one LG 23, Yes all the same size but different brands and it worked.

Not saying his will or will not but im just saying that different brands will work and size should not matter due to them all being 1080p... yes it will be weird but he is 6 feet from the 50" so that really will not be noticeable...

Sometimes there really is such a thing as too big. Those huge TV's have limited res and look like crap if you sit close like a monitor.

Sometimes there really is such a thing as too big. Those huge TV's have limited res and look like crap if you sit close like a monitor.

1080p is sufficient for most ppl; and why in the world would anyone sit close like a monitor to a 46 inch or larger hdtv, which is meant to be viewed from a distance? of course you could though, and i doubt it would look like crap unless the tv were crap. op says he is sitting about 6 ft away.

That is not always true... When i had my First surround setup i had 1 dell 23 one NEC 23 and one LG 23, Yes all the same size but different brands and it worked.

Not saying his will or will not but im just saying that different brands will work and size should not matter due to them all being 1080p... yes it will be weird but he is 6 feet from the 50" so that really will not be noticeable...

I think "not always true" when dealing with monitors of this size is just too much of an undertaking to prove it can or can't work.

Not quite sure what the confusion is coming from. I've done this with 3x 65" Mitsubishi DLP TV's. Setup was easy as pie. The posters who are saying that 1080p would look like crap need to actually try these setups before coming to that conclusion. Let me say that when I tried the above setup for about a month it was the sweetest gaming experience you could ever have. I only had the TV's on loan for about a month but if it was practical to set aside one room in my house for this purpose I would.

Not quite sure what the confusion is coming from. I've done this with 3x 65" Mitsubishi DLP TV's. Setup was easy as pie. The posters who are saying that 1080p would look like crap need to actually try these setups before coming to that conclusion. Let me say that when I tried the above setup for about a month it was the sweetest gaming experience you could ever have. I only had the TV's on loan for about a month but if it was practical to set aside one room in my house for this purpose I would.

not sure what you're confused about. Nobody seems confused about 1080p or suggesting it would look like crap. The debate is over whether this is too much monitor or whether mismatching monitors would work in the first place. 1080p is a fine resolution for most things.

Back