3.1 setup possible?

Joined
May 19, 2007
Messages
26
I currently use Z-5500's, obviously as 5.1's. Howevver, when I go to university, I will probably have to loose the rear speakers due to the room layout, which I'm not too worried about. This'll leave me with essentially a 3.1 setup.

How would I set up my PC for 3.1 then? I don't think such a configuation exists in Windows itself, though AC3Filter lets you downmix to 3.1
Am I better just running as 2.1?

When I use Stereo mode on my Z-5500's Control Pod (as opposed to PLII), it's noticably tinnier, so I'd prefer to use PLII mode even if it's only upmixing to 3.1.
 
PCs don't understand 3.1, it's just not a configuration option they have. They support 2.0, 4.0, 5.1, and 7.1. They don't actually even support 2.1, what happens in 2.1 speakers handle the crossover internally (whereas the computer handles it in 5.1).

In the case of your speakers, I'd have to see what controls are available. It is perfectly possible their controls can redirect a stereo signal to 3.1 speakers, I don't know. However Windows goes form stereo to quadraphonic, nothing in the middle.
 
You can run 3.1 fine in Vista, I don't know about XP. You configure your speakers and choose a 5.1 configuration. On the next screen it allows you to customize your configuration. You can uncheck the rear speakers. It remaps the rear speakers so they play on the font pair. Works great.
 
You can run 3.1 fine in Vista, I don't know about XP. You configure your speakers and choose a 5.1 configuration. On the next screen it allows you to customize your configuration. You can uncheck the rear speakers. It remaps the rear speakers so they play on the font pair. Works great.

Care to explain more as I don't see what you explain in Vista.
 
Care to explain more as I don't see what you explain in Vista.

I'll use pictures. :D

s1.jpg


s2.jpg


s3.jpg
 
Thanks! For some reason mine was configured like that to begin with but at least now know where to look.
 
Back
Top