• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2x4850 vs. 1x4870

Which would you buy?


  • Total voters
    25

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Jun 3, 2003
Messages
6,677
If I gave you $300 and told you that it must be spent on one or the other of the above, which would you buy? Just out of curiosity, no flame wars please.

4850x2 Pros:
Likely faster
Can possibly beat the GTX 280 in some situations in which a single 4870 could not

4850x2 Cons:
Possible microstuttering
Scaling not guaranteed
Probably uses slightly more power
Probably produces slightly more heat
 
Personally I jumped on the $150 after MIR one-day deal at Newegg, simply because it was a steal for that price. I was thinking of getting an 8800 GTX 512 before the 4850 hit, and here the 4850 goes and destroys it for less money.

I will likely be perfectly happy with the performance of a single 4850 in all games but Crysis (which I don't even own yet, tried the demo once on my 7800 months ago), and if I feel the need for a nice boost I can throw in a second 4850 for a similarly cheap price.
 
I have decided to pass on Crysis since there will be no futher big patching.........eff that
 
Bump for moar votes.

I understand the attraction of the 4870, but I'm surprised the 4850 doesn't get more votes when a single 4850 has most of the performance of the 4870, at half the price...
 
Back
Top