2x2GB How long should I wait?

When should I upgrade my ram?

• Total voters

brom42

2[H]4U
First a little history. I want to make the jump to 4GB in my main system. (see sig) I need to put my current ram in another system so just adding 2GB isn't an option. I don't do any overclocking at all so the ram will be running at stock speeds and latencies. I want to go with a 2x2GB kit because several of my systems have only 2 ram slots and this ram might eventually make its way into one of those systems.

So should I wait a few months until more people release 4gb kits or pull the trigger now?

Here is the current pitiful selection of 2x2GB kits on NewEgg. :(

I was about to say wait a few months for prices and latencies to go down, but looking at what Newegg has, timings are already very close to normal DDR2 2x1gb. But I still say wait a few months for prices to drop closer $400.

im close too... 95% usage when playing. so i would like to know too ;) *or get an other 2 gig for now.*

Are you using all of 2 gb?

Easily, I used to have 3gb in my computer and I was maxing that out with XP.

One of the problems that I am running into now is that Vista downgrades me from Aero because I use so much memory that it dumping features left and right to make room.

I need a minimum of 4gb to run my computer how I like. I have a few photoshop files that I am currently working on that are almost 2gb a piece. Open 3gb worth of files in photoshop on a computer with 2gb of Ram and see how well things run. :(

a 32 bit OS can only ADDRESS 4GB total RAM. so if you have 512Mb RAM or more in your video card don't bother with more than 3Gb RAM unless you plan on going with 64 bit OS.

a 32 bit OS can only ADDRESS 4GB total RAM. so if you have 512Mb RAM or more in your video card don't bother with more than 3Gb RAM unless you plan on going with 64 bit OS.

I have been running 64 bit Vista for a while now. I used to run 32 bit XP, that is why I had only 3gb before.

Back