2x128 versus 256GB...

conscript

2[H]4U
I know I know...seen this question before, but looking for some guidance on my setup. I'm coming from a 160 Intel X-25 G2, and loved it. But I'm already 80% full, and about to give this comp to my wife anyway, and using the opportunity to build a new computer to go with a 250GB SSD to handle my OS, apps (like PS), and some games.

I've been reading over on the latest offerings, and I'm pretty much sold on the Crucial M4's. Going to kill my color scheme (man the red Corsair GT's would look nice), but i can't find a single thread anywhere that doesn't talk about BSOD's and freezes with the sandforce controlled drives. I value stability over a few synthetic benches.

Anyway, cost is relatively the same, so the only question now is do I go Raid-0 with two 128GB drives, or just buy the 256GB. Originally I thought the 256GB would be a no-brainer, but it's looks like in some situations the 128's by themselves have a performance advantage, let alone in raid-0. Is that the general concensus?

And then secondly, is the added boot time, loss of TRIM, and greater risk using RAID-0 worth the performance increase in your minds? Like I said, I'm risk adverse, but two stable drives versus 1 stable drive, doesn't concern me too much. The first two issues though do concern me about a raid setup.

Anyway, appreciate any advice any of you have, maybe if you've gone one or the other routes. Or if you want to tell me I'm crazy and I shoudl get the Corsair GT's, I'll listen to that as well. I like Corsair as a brand, I just can't go one thread without reading something that discourages me from going sf route.

(btw, I've loved my Intel too, but the premium on the new 510's is just a little ridiculous to me...but it's also an outside contender).

Hi Conscript, you may want to look at my post at: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1635719

I was basically looking at purchaing 1 M4 128G right now and adding a 2nd later for storage etc. I would avoid raid because you'll loose trim.

I'm still on the fence at this point. The 128's are a bit cheaper per gig than the 256's.

Didnt intel controllers introduce trim over raid? There was some hooplah over that last year now nothing new about it...

no it is for drives in raid mode, but only if they are "non-member disks"
which means not in raid, but using the instruction set.
misleading.

Ohh, meaning the controller being in raid mode, gah...
Thanks for the heads up.

And then secondly, is the added boot time, loss of TRIM, and greater risk using RAID-0 worth the performance increase in your minds?
The only person that can answer that correctly is YOU. :)

For me it is worth it but I'm not you. :D

Back