2x Titan X for $880 each or 980 Ti for $680 + taxes for a single 4k monitor?

PCDC650

Weaksauce
So I'm planning on upgrading my monitor this year to either a 34" 3440x1440p or a 40" 4k. I purchased 2 x Titan X's for $880 each with no tax and free shipping. I have the option of returning these cards for a full refund and either buying a 980 Ti ACX or a custom 980 for I'm guessing will cost around $700-800 after taxes assuming the custom card would be a 980 Ti Classified. I could save cash and buy a 980 Ti ACX with backplate @ TigerDirect since they charge no tax for $680 but who knows when they'll be in stock. I would have to play the waiting game if I return my Titan X's and the wait would be even longer if I wanted a 980 Ti Classy from Tiger. I need a little help here folks!

At 3440x1440, with downsampling + AA, you can easily break 6GB. I'd stick to the Titans if I were you.

I'm assuming if you have the money for that kind of setup couple hundred bucks isnt worth the hassle of returning and waiting for the right 980 ti and peace of mind of not hitting any vram limit. Its also slightly faster and you need every little bit of extra performance for 4k if you go that route

I'm assuming if you have the money for that kind of setup couple hundred bucks isnt worth the hassle of returning and waiting for the right 980 ti and peace of mind of not hitting any vram limit. Its also slightly faster and you need every little bit of extra performance for 4k if you go that route
I don't plan on going custom WC until Pascal hits so the cooler on these TX's will get a little loud. Sure I could buy the ACX 2.0 cooler but that's another $180 for 2. I do like that I won't have to worry about VRAM issues at all and I do play pretty much all the new games that are released so that's cool. Also, custom 980 Ti's like the Galax 980 Ti HOF and EVGA 980 Ti Classy are going to be some sweet cards...

Are you talking about downgrading from 2x Titan Xs to a single 980 Ti?

At 4K, I wouldn't. You need all the power you can get, and it doesn't sound like money is a concern here.

I don't plan on going custom WC until Pascal hits so the cooler on these TX's will get a little loud. Sure I could buy the ACX 2.0 cooler but that's another $180 for 2. I do like that I won't have to worry about VRAM issues at all and I do play pretty much all the new games that are released so that's cool. Also, custom 980 Ti's like the Galax 980 Ti HOF and EVGA 980 Ti Classy are going to be some sweet cards...

yes but when will it be released? Also what price? could be over 700 bucks for each. So how much are you saving? You return some cards, pay shipping/tax possibly depending on where it will be available first and you might not be saving much.

non reference 980 ti are selling out extremely fast right now. There is no guarantee you will get them from where you want.

Valid points. I'm sure I'll really want a Ti Classy/Lightning /HOF but I hate playing the waiting game and returning GPUs is kind of a hassle. My TXs should sell for more when I'm ready to jump to Pascal Titan.

Valid points. I'm sure I'll really want a Ti Classy/Lightning /HOF but I hate playing the waiting game and returning GPUs is kind of a hassle. My TXs should sell for more when I'm ready to jump to Pascal Titan.

Your TITAN X will sell for a few bucks more than used 980 Ti...so good luck with that. I'd say you will be lucky to get $100 more than a used 980 Ti. I think everyone has caught on to the "MOAR VRAM" bs. 4GB, 6GB, etc. - are plenty. :) 12GB? Marketing. There's nothing that can even run 4K at a decent framerate today (I'm a 120/144Hz gamer). Perhaps next gen.

$680 + tax vs $800. Easy decision in my mind, I'd go with the Titan X's since they are full GM200. If money is tight, then go for the 980 TI's.

Your TITAN X will sell for a few bucks more than used 980 Ti...so good luck with that. I'd say you will be lucky to get $100 more than a used 980 Ti. I think everyone has caught on to the "MOAR VRAM" bs. 4GB, 6GB, etc. - are plenty. :) 12GB? Marketing. There's nothing that can even run 4K at a decent framerate today (I'm a 120/144Hz gamer). Perhaps next gen.

I always agreed with you, logically, but after receiving my Titan X and seeing how the average game takes 4GB+, I'd say 6GB is barely enough.

For instance, Alien: Isolation takes 5.3GB @ 2560x1600 with max settings. I ran it at 5K and it was significantly above 6GB and quite playable.

You should know, since you have Titan X SLi.

I was going to sell my Titan X in favor of GTX 980 Ti SLi but now I'm considering buying another.

I always agreed with you, logically, but after receiving my Titan X and seeing how the average game takes 4GB+, I'd say 6GB is barely enough.

For instance, Alien: Isolation takes 5.3GB @ 2560x1600 with max settings. I ran it at 5K and it was significantly above 6GB and quite playable.

I was going to sell my Titan X in favor of GTX 980 Ti SLi but now I'm considering buying another.

The majority of VRAM usage beyond 4 or 6GB is caching or ridiculous extreme high usage scenarios that are artificially created.

Of course, there are exceptions and other use cases - but I don't think it's worth $300 for most people.

Just because it uses 5.6gb on a titan x at 5k doesn't mean It will use that much on other setups. I beat alien isolation modded at 5k on my setup and my vram was no where near maxed out. You will see higher vram usage than most people because it has 12gb, but that doesn't mean the game actually needs that much. I find that the average game doesn't need more than 4gb unless playing at 4k+ and even then 4gb can handle most cases

12GB OF VRAM might sound like it's a waste right now but by the time Pascal Titan is released games might utilize more of it. I think my Titans Xs should sell for at least $50 more per card compared to a 6gb 980 Ti. SSk3tc

sk3tch, do you recommend I return my Titan Xs for a custom 980 Ti and pocket the change or should i keep my current setup?

12GB OF VRAM might sound like it's a waste right now but by the time Pascal Titan is released games might utilize more of it. I think my Titans Xs should selected for at least $50 more pet card compared to a 6gb 980 Ti. SSk3tc

sk3tch, do you recommend I return my Titan Xs for a custom 980 Ti and pocket the change or should i keep my current setup?

No point in selling a TITAN X today. It's still the best card around. If you're in a situation where you're choosing one or the other with neither card in hand - opt for whatever you can afford. In 99% of cases I'd recommend the 980 Ti.

Pretty simple table outlines the differences here (along with a great review):
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9306/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-ti-review.

BTW - upgrading for "future-proofing" is generally a bad idea. Better to buy what you need now (and it'll definitely last 1-2 years EASY as one of the top dogs) and upgrade later. I rarely own cards for more than 6-8 months. They hold their value decently. Although the 980 Ti hurt the TITAN X resale value by about $300 overnight. :)

I already have the 2 TXs Paid $1300 for both out of pocket after selling my 980 for $450. I don't plan on upgrading until Pascal is released. Just wondering if I should return them for a full refund and wait it out until custom Ti cards are released. I want to keep my setup but I have a feeling those custom cards might have me kicking myself.

Just because it uses 5.6gb on a titan x at 5k doesn't mean It will use that much on other setups. I beat alien isolation modded at 5k on my setup and my vram was no where near maxed out. You will see higher vram usage than most people because it has 12gb, but that doesn't mean the game actually needs that much. I find that the average game doesn't need more than 4gb unless playing at 4k+ and even then 4gb can handle most cases

I don't understand your point.

You agree that the game takes 5.6GB but also say that it can run fine on your 4GB card.

I'm not seeing the logic there.

You agree that the game takes 5.6GB but also say that it can run fine on your 4GB card.

Let me requote him for you then....

You will see higher vram usage than most people because it has 12gb, but that doesn't mean the game actually needs that much.

See the logic there?

Hmm I don't understand how you got that from my post. It said the exact opposite basically, I said it DIDNT need 5.6gb. Alien isolation is right up there with gta v and tomb raider as far as optimization goes performace goes.

Last edited:
TigerDirect opens up tomorrow at 4 in the morning... last change to cancel the Titan X I ordered Friday evening. I would then send back my first Titan X for a full refund. What's the final say fellas? Keep the Titan X's and go for custom 980 Ti's?

Let me requote him for you then....

You will see higher vram usage than most people because it has 12gb, but that doesn't mean the game actually needs that much.

See the logic there?

So, I asked for clarification and your response is to literally quote the sentence I had trouble understanding verbatim and then ask me if I understand it?

No sir, I do not see the logic there.

Hmm I don't understand how you got that from my post. It said the exact opposite basically, I said it DIDNT need 5.6gb.

Again, I feel like you're miscommunicating here.

You said "[Alien: Isolation] uses 5.6gb on a titan x .." and continued with "..doesn't mean it will use that much on other setups."

So, my question is - if you agree that it uses 5.6GB on one card, how can it use less on another?

Clearly, the only logical option is that the game is starved for vRAM and has to somehow find a way to work with less. Otherwise, why would it use 5.6GB when given it? The insinuation here being that cards take more vRAM than necessary. In which case, why not take up 10GB? Doesn't make sense to me.

I only changed the power limit to 110% and 100+ on core clock. Never breaks 45 degrees with the aio

I decided to keep my Titan X's. I don't feel the sting of the 980 Ti's price since I never paid full price for my TX's and I REALLY don't want to worry about VRAM anytime soon. I'm not planning on upgrading until Pascal Titan is released and that's not until the 3rd qtr of next year. I'll be gaming @4k in a few months so I'll feel at ease with my babies. Besides, the 980 Ti's are crippled. Yuck!

I was checking out the GTA V gfx settings. @1440p + max settings/4x msaa, I'm using about 4.4GB of VRAM I believe. This is according to the built in meter that builds up when you raise gfx settings. I'm guessing @4k with the same settings it would be around 5GB of VRAM. Pascal is rumored to be released around the 3rd quarter of next year so I'm not so sure about the 980 TI's 6GB when running 4k.

I sorta have to now that you've posted in my thread. Thank you almighty one! :cool:

I'd stick with the Titan Xs.

I never understood the kingpin or other cards like that. Always seems by the time they are out you might as well wait 3 months for the next rev. (Pascal) It always feels that late in the game anyways.

If the 980ti is leaning toward $800 I'd say spend the extra $80 just to be safe. It'll be well worth it. I know most people say 6gb is plenty... which it certainly is.. but I've seen my usage in a couple games hit 6-7gb with certain texture packs and settings.

haha...laughable statement

Back