2x PATA + PCI-E + Core 2 Duo support...such a creature?

DougLite

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking to upgrade my flagship rig with an eye towards Core 2 Duo/Conroe. However, I need support for two PATA ATAPI DVD-RW drives on separate cables. Want PCI-Express, and am resigned to needign DDR2 for such a project. Also needs at least four SATA ports, although six would be a plus. I need support for multiple DVD Burners as I run copies of the pictures and videos I take for church friends. My question is this:

Can I have two IDE DVD burners, on separate cables, on a Conroe ready motherboard? Or am I just out of luck and have to stomach buying SATA burners at a huge price premium and reduced compatibility?

I know a lot of the newer Intel boards are shipping with the JMicron chipset for added PATA support, but I've heard that its support for ATAPI devices is flaky to non-existant.

It's not out yet but the new board coming out from DFI seems to have two IDE channels. The two yellow IDE connectors on top of picture. It also has 6 SATA connecters. Downside is that it isn't scheduled to be released until late August.

edit: Or is the one on the right a floppy?

dfi_nf590slipre_05l.jpg

That's what I thought but from this pictures it doesn't look like it's a floppy.

dfi_nf590slipre_02l.jpg

looks like a floppy to me, i doubt a board would have 2 PATA connections and 0 Floppy connections.

It's not clear enough to see :(. Floppy I/O do come keyed like that, but they also usually have a pin missing, and I can't see if there's one missing or not.

Top right is def IDE as it says IDE1 on the lower left of the port. The other one is the one that is hard to read or tell exactly what it is.

AND.. how bout the fact that it is shorter than the other one?? IDE is a bigger connector.

the p5w-dh has 7 sata ports, 3 raid controllers (one is hardware raid!!), 2 ide ports, one from the intel ich7r and the other from the jmicro controller. i am using both ide channels and am not having any issues.

vanilla_guerilla said:
the p5w-dh has 7 sata ports, 3 raid controllers (one is hardware raid!!), 2 ide ports, one from the intel ich7r and the other from the jmicro controller. i am using both ide channels and am not having any issues.
Using both IDE chanels with optical drives?

Back