2wire gateway and network devices?

badteddy

Weaksauce
Am I able to connect network devices on my 2wire gateway? (model # is at home, im at work, i'll post that later if needed)

I have a network printer (Brother) and a network attached storage(D-Link). Both are connected through the ethernet ports. None of them seem to be read on the gateway. Logged into gateway through the browser, they do not show up, even after resetting.

Does the gateway have steps or the option to even allow network devices? I have e-mailed 2wire customer support and they do not answer and refuse to even state that they do support network devices.

Before, I was on an oldschool DSL modem, and connected through my d-link router, and all i did was plug them into the router and they worked. I was able to print (from network printer) and access my files from the NAS.

When logged into the 2wire Gateway, it does not recognize either device or show any misc network devices. IT DOES however recognize the Western Digital HDTV set top box media player. (strange, that's a network device as well...)

any advice is appreciated!

before i get flamed for not trying, i did e-mail 2wire support, they gave a generic response that didnt help my problem at all. i also signed into the at&t forum: LINK

I don't see why off-hand these devices wouldn't work. I have an HP printer and about a dozen other devices on my network via a 2wire with a couple extra switches thrown in. Are these devices DHCP enabled? Do they have an IP on your LAN?

I don't see why off-hand these devices wouldn't work. I have an HP printer and about a dozen other devices on my network via a 2wire with a couple extra switches thrown in. Are these devices DHCP enabled? Do they have an IP on your LAN?

Thanks for the response,

When logged into the 2wire gateway, they do not have IP addresses nor do they even show up.

assuming from my previous set up, they were working, so they are DHCP enabled.

the 2wire seems to have very little features through the web based settings.

Heres what I learned about ATTs shitty 2Wire Gateway Wireless Router Modem.

1) If a third party router is connected to the 2Wire then only devices connected to the third party router will be viewable between each other (it will become its own self contained network)
2) You need to enable DMZ for the third party router connected on the 2Wire modem in order to forward ports on it.
3) ATT set top box does not work when connected to a third party router.
4) Switches do work on the 2Wire Modem and will network with other 2Wire modem devices (except third party routers)
5) Anything connected the 2Wire besides third party routers will be networked together. Third party router becomes its own network, can not be bridged/set into AP mode.

Does your Brother have an onscreen menu on the printer so you can see the network settings to see if its getting an IP or to turn off/on or reset the network settings?

Not sure why people complain about the 2wire so much really, it does what it's designed to do (basically an all-in-one VDSL firewall, router, voip, wireless bridge). Converged networking has its advantages after all (my home is pure Ethernet no unweildy coax anymore). I haven't had any issues with it and performance (even on the wireless side in a three story condo) has been solid so far (better than I expected in fact).

If you want a BYORouter style service there are always other ISP options out there but I think Uverse is pretty competitive on pricing. Cox would have been significantly more expensive spec'd out the same as I have with AT&T in my area. Even though their max download speeds are higher, anything over 20mbps is a waste of money at home the vast majority of the time in my experience even factoring in that I work from home 90% of the time.

Just so I am understanding this correctly your printer and NAS are plugged directly into the 2wire gateway?

Assuming that is correct, print a status page from your printer and see what IPs ect it is pulling.

My guess is that for some reason the IPs are out of the scope of the router ie it only addresses 192.168.1.1-50, but those devices the NAT and the printer are hanging out around 192.168.1.51-254 or something, so the router can't see them. I had this issue a while ago with an ATT customer I used to assist.

Its a weird bug I saw. However I could just be remembering this incorrectly, either way its worth a shot, not like you can break it any more than it already is.

The bug is caused by the router reporting that its broadcasting on the same 192.168.1.X network on the same 255.255.255.0 subnet, and from the same IP as the old router. Basically all the devices think everything is working but you just can't reach the IPs b/c the router doesn't understand that devices exist outside of its 192.168.1-1-50 IP range. As I am typing this it sounds really stupid, so I am thinking this is totally wrong, but a bug is a bug is AT&T.

Last edited:
Lol yeah I know that, I think the problem I was having was due to static IPs on devices.

no i think i kind of understand what your getting at. i do notice that the IP's are set at .254 and not the 192.168.0.1 or something.. im at work again now.

thank you everyone for your input.

i will try to look further into your suggestions.

the NAS is however connected through power line then a router that i set to bridge mode.

it's a D-Link DIR655 so i could expand my network. i'll try to move the NAS to where the gateway is.

Just as an FYI, my network attached laser printer is statically IP'd with an address that is outside the DHCP scope in use by my 2wire and no one has any issues printing to it, i.e. my printer is 192.168.1.5 and my scope is .64-.253 which is how it was set when the tech dropped it off and I saw no reason to fiddle with it.

Am I able to connect network devices on my 2wire gateway? (model # is at home, im at work, i'll post that later if needed)

I have a network printer (Brother) and a network attached storage(D-Link). Both are connected through the ethernet ports. None of them seem to be read on the gateway. Logged into gateway through the browser, they do not show up, even after resetting.

Does the gateway have steps or the option to even allow network devices? I have e-mailed 2wire customer support and they do not answer and refuse to even state that they do support network devices.

Before, I was on an oldschool DSL modem, and connected through my d-link router, and all i did was plug them into the router and they worked. I was able to print (from network printer) and access my files from the NAS.

When logged into the 2wire Gateway, it does not recognize either device or show any misc network devices. IT DOES however recognize the Western Digital HDTV set top box media player. (strange, that's a network device as well...)

any advice is appreciated!

before i get flamed for not trying, i did e-mail 2wire support, they gave a generic response that didnt help my problem at all. i also signed into the at&t forum: LINK
Routers generally do not automatically tell you what is on their network unless a dhcp ip address was handed out to that device. So just because it's not listed in the router status page does not mean it's not connected to the network.

Like others have mentioned, we need some ip information from you. How is your printer setup? Does it have a static ip, does it have a dhcp ip? If it has a static ip, what is it? If it's setup for DHCP, is it successfully getting an ip address?

How is your network setup? What is the ip of your 2wire gateway, what is the subnet?

Heres what I learned about ATTs shitty 2Wire Gateway Wireless Router Modem.

1) If a third party router is connected to the 2Wire then only devices connected to the third party router will be viewable between each other (it will become its own self contained network)
are you sure you didn't plug the ethernet cable into the "wan" port on the thirdparty router?

Does anyone know how I can use the U-Verse remote control ap if I have my own router behind the 2Wire?

I did manage to get the IPTV to work behind my 2nd router, but because I have a cheap Netgear switch that doesn't support IGMP v3 the LAN becomes flooded with the IPTV traffic, mainly killing/saturating the WiFI.

ok guys, sorry for the late response, i've been very busy. i've plugged in the d-link NAS, and it does not read.

my question now is, is there a way for me to change the router to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.1.254? maybe that would be the culprit

well this is what i got, the NAS is directly connected, but nothing

1ifjtd.jpg

http://192.168.1.64
http://192.168.1.67
http://192.168.1.71

go to these, in your browser, any of them come up as dlink ?
i dont think it's any of those since the OP said it's in port 4.

Plus the macaddresses for two of those pull up NVIDIA and EVGA. The third one is some weird company i don't know (which i guess D-link could use for the ethernet port, not sure).

OP, here's two things i would recommend trying.

1) D-link provides a utility to find your d-link devices. I'm not sure how advanced it is (i dont know, for example, if it will attempt to find d-link devices on different subnets) but you can try it

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/D-Link-Easy-Search-Utility.shtml

2) Reset your D-link to factory settings with by pushing the reset button with a paperclick for 12 seconds while the device is turned on. I don't believe this will erase data, but you should probably double check that before trusting me. This will reset your network settings on the D-link, setting your D-link to dhcp client mode, forceing it lease an ip, and then it will probably show up in 2wire list.

I will warn you right now that the 2wire gateway is a POS. Trust me. I have one and I hate it. I only use it for TV, not internet, but IPTV over LAN is a massive pain. This device generates CRC errors like there is no tomorrow when plugged into my Cisco equipment.

Plus the macaddresses for two of those pull up NVIDIA and EVGA. The third one is some weird company i don't know (which i guess D-link could use for the ethernet port, not sure).

1) D-link provides a utility to find your d-link devices. I'm not sure how advanced it is (i dont know, for example, if it will attempt to find d-link devices on different subnets) but you can try it

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Network-Tools/Misc-Networking-Tools/D-Link-Easy-Search-Utility.shtml

2) Reset your D-link to factory settings with by pushing the reset button with a paperclick for 12 seconds while the device is turned on. I don't believe this will erase data, but you should probably double check that before trusting me. This will reset your network settings on the D-link, setting your D-link to dhcp client mode, forceing it lease an ip, and then it will probably show up in 2wire list.

Maybe he has a bad cable, or the dlink isn't turned on. Maybe he could try swapping one of the ports 1-2 for his dlink see if it lights up etc etc.

Maybe he has a bad cable, or the dlink isn't turned on. Maybe he could try swapping one of the ports 1-2 for his dlink see if it lights up etc etc.

i have tried different cables, but i havent tried different ports. i'll try that. thanks

i tried using the printer's network tool, doesnt see anything, so i'm not sure how successful that tool will be. but i'll keep that in mind thank you

i tried using the printer's network tool, doesnt see anything, so i'm not sure how successful that tool will be. but i'll keep that in mind thank you

did you click the links i put up for you ?

How the heck do you get 2 different ip's and 2 different mac addresses on one port,

2ldkjyg.jpg

Another idea, do you have a spare switch ?

take the switch and do this, Plug a cable from your 2 wire port one into the switch then plug your computers & dlink into the switch, see if your 2 wire blocks port to port interaction.

I've seen the new shaw modems do this, you can't talk to a wired computer over wires and vice verse. LAME pos's..

port 1, i have a d-link router, which i used a guide to turn into a bridge (doesn't work well). the manufacture did not recommend it, and they said they left it with little or no features. nothing can be read on it. but i only have 2 computers on it. and maybe my iphone wirelessly connected

did you click the links i put up for you ?

How the heck do you get 2 different ip's and 2 different mac addresses on one port,

2ldkjyg.jpg

Another idea, do you have a spare switch ?

take the switch and do this, Plug a cable from your 2 wire port one into the switch then plug your computers & dlink into the switch, see if your 2 wire blocks port to port interaction.

I've seen the new shaw modems do this, you can't talk to a wired computer over wires and vice verse. LAME pos's..

The 4 ports on the 2Wires are switch ports, not L3 ports so they can have multiple IPs and MAC addresses on them if there was a switch connected to the port with multiple devices on it.

Run arp -a and net view and see if you can see the device by name or by it's MAC address.

port 1, i have a d-link router, which i used a guide to turn into a bridge (doesn't work well). the manufacture did not recommend it, and they said they left it with little or no features. nothing can be read on it. but i only have 2 computers on it. and maybe my iphone wirelessly connected

You need to draw this out better so i / we can understand what you have done :)

Is the 2wire in bridge mode ? or router mode ?

Are you using the dlink for ? ( what )

dash.

so then like this?

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]

Internet--------------[         2wire        ]---------------[       dlink router      ]  
                          |               |                        |               |
                         PC1          Dlink NAS                    PC2            PC3
[/FONT]

i have a few questions for you

1) did you ever try the ip links dashpuppy put for you?
2) did you ever try the new ethernet cable?
3) did you ever try resetting the NAS?
4) Are you trying to connect from PC2 or PC3? if so, and if the diagram above is correct, which ports are connected together on the dlink and the 2wire and how did you set it to bridge mode (what are the exact changes you made the in setup)?

so then like this?

Code:
[FONT="Courier New"]

Internet--------------[         2wire        ]---------------[       dlink router      ]  
                         PC1          Dlink NAS                    PC2            PC3
[/FONT]

i have a few questions for you

1) did you ever try the ip links dashpuppy put for you?
2) did you ever try the new ethernet cable?
3) did you ever try resetting the NAS?
4) Are you trying to connect from PC2 or PC3? if so, and if the diagram above is correct, which ports are connected together on the dlink and the 2wire and how did you set it to bridge mode (what are the exact changes you made the in setup)?

well pc 2 & 3 wont be able to see pc1 & nas if that's how it's setup.

it should be

NON%2520bridged%2520mode.jpg

or do you have it like this,

bridge%2520mode.jpg

Last edited:

The 2701 hasn't been in use for 2 years now, it is obsolete. Even then it was only use for ADSL2+ connections, not VDSL connections like to OP is talking about. There is no "bridge mode" for the 2wire VDSL modems, only DMZ with IP Passthru.

4) Switches do work on the 2Wire Modem and will network with other 2Wire modem devices (except third party routers)

Incorrect, a true layer 2 switch will work just fine, but anything with packet snooping doesn't.

Now, the only true way to bypass the states table on the 2wire router is to use static public IP addresses.

The cheap way is to do DMZ plus with IP passthru to the 3rd party router (connection from the yellow ethernet ports on the 2wire to the WAN connection on the 3rd party router). From there connect your DVR and STB's directly to the 2wire, and all your other devices to your 3rd party router.

I work with ATT hardware every single day for a living, so if you have any question on setup, PM me.

The 2701 hasn't been in use for 2 years now, it is obsolete. Even then it was only use for ADSL2+ connections, not VDSL connections like to OP is talking about. There is no "bridge mode" for the 2wire VDSL modems, only DMZ with IP Passthru.

Incorrect, a true layer 2 switch will work just fine, but anything with packet snooping doesn't.

Now, the only true way to bypass the states table on the 2wire router is to use static public IP addresses.

The cheap way is to do DMZ plus with IP passthru to the 3rd party router (connection from the yellow ethernet ports on the 2wire to the WAN connection on the 3rd party router). From there connect your DVR and STB's directly to the 2wire, and all your other devices to your 3rd party router.

I work with ATT hardware every single day for a living, so if you have any question on setup, PM me.

I just setup 3 of them 2 weeks ago. They still sell them and use them..

Back