2K announces Mafia 2

aznpxdd

2[H]4U
NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--2K Games, a publishing label of Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), today announced that it will publish Mafia 2, a sequel to the original Mafia title that sold more than two million copies worldwide and helped popularize the gangster genre. Featuring a deep mobster-driven narrative packed with both behind-the-wheel and on-foot action, Mafia 2 is the sequel fans have been clamoring for. The game is being developed by Illusion Softworks, developers of the original Mafia title, for next generation consoles and Games for Windows®.

Like the original Mafia title, Mafia 2 immerses players in the mob underworld of a fictitious late 1940’s-early 1950’s scenario. Players will easily become engaged in the game’s cinematic Hollywood movie experience with strong, believable characters in a living, breathing city. By fusing high octane gunplay with white knuckle driving and an engaging narrative, Mafia 2 looks to be the industry’s most compelling Mafia title to date.

“As the original Mafia was a big success, we are excited to leverage the power of next generation console technology to create an all-new experience, while embracing the elements that resonated with the previous game’s fans,” said Christoph Hartmann, President of 2K. “The ‘wow’ factor of Mafia 2 is definitely the benchmark-setting visual quality and action that you expect to see only in Hollywood movies.”

05_x.jpg

04_x.jpg

Looking damn nice, the original was very good. Looking forward to this.

I didn't play the first either, but I do love a good gangster game!

Godfather was good and fun, looks like this will be using the new GTA engine?

Mafia 1, even today is an amazing game. Its a 5 star movie hidden behind a game.

The facial textures are such high res that its quite playable as well and the graphics dont bug you at all really. It was a showcase for DX8 imo, and looks good enough to play even today.

I hope they dont skimp on the story here, as thats what made the first game

Considering it's being made by 2K, I think we're safe. I hope so anyway. The first game was absolutely amazing. I await this game in high anticipation.

Never played the first, but I've always heard good things about it. Good to hear they're making a second one.

It was like playing out a badass gangster movie. Amazing story and gameplay, graphics to boot and a huge city to explore.

Considering it's being made by 2K, I think we're safe. I hope so anyway. The first game was absolutely amazing. I await this game in high anticipation.

correction.. is being made by Illusion works

2k is just the publisher

as for the engine.. is not the one from GTA like someone said above

different developer remember

will lookin foward to this one

Mafia is one of my favorite games..
I have played it so many times, and it always immerses you into the atmosphere of the 30's

Mafia was possibly the best game I HAVE EVER played. I am definately looking forward to this, any word on a release date?
I feel likea kid in a candy store now.

I rarely chime in about games, and frankly, rarely play them anymore these days, I'm quickly growing old.

However, I need to get it on this one.

I must have played through the first Mafia a dozen times or more, I would guess I spent hundreds of hours just driving around creating trouble.

Without a doubt, through 20 years of gaming, that is, since I used to play flight sims on my old Apple IIe, NO game has ever given me as much enjoyment as Mafia did.

With that, I look forward to this release more then any other announced title. I will upgrade my computer for this game and I will be at the door of a local PC shop to buy it the day it ships.

Frankly, I can not wait.

Any word on release dates?

Now I want to play Mafia 1 again! I think I'll be digging out the discs sometime soon :D.

correction.. is being made by Illusion works

2k is just the publisher

as for the engine.. is not the one from GTA like someone said above

different developer remember

will lookin foward to this one

Mafia is one of my favorite games..
I have played it so many times, and it always immerses you into the atmosphere of the 30's

Yeah you're right. I re-read the news thing. But it is being made by the same people that made the first.

The first Mafia was incredible, so I hope they do as well with this one. Though, I have to admit, I'm a bit wary about 2k after the whole "Bioshock fiasco".

Too bad the first one doesn't run on XP (unless that's changed?), or I'd still be playing it.

looks great but 2k has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. don't know if those screens are actually in-game shots though do we?

looks great but 2k has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. don't know if those screens are actually in-game shots though do we?

Seems as if they are. Mafia looked great, specially back in the day. Everything about it was spectacular. The player models were not too good though, and felt outdated quite fast, everything else was top notch.
From the looks of it, they seem to be in-game screenshots.

The first Mafia was incredible, so I hope they do as well with this one. Though, I have to admit, I'm a bit wary about 2k after the whole "Bioshock fiasco".

Too bad the first one doesn't run on XP (unless that's changed?), or I'd still be playing it.

Its run on XP, is the game really that old? I thought it came out on XP? Time does fly. You can always try compatibility mode. I'll let know you know when I get home tonight around 7pm.

Seems as if they are. Mafia looked great, specially back in the day. Everything about it was spectacular. The player models were not too good though, and felt outdated quite fast, everything else was top notch.
From the looks of it, they seem to be in-game screenshots.

Could you be more specific about the character models? I think for the time they were stellar for the most part. Especially the faces.

Mafia came out in September 2002 and runs perfectly well on Windows XP. Make sure the game is patched to 1.2 (although this is just for performance issues and making the race a bit easier), I've never had an issue running it on XP, even with the movies not playing with SP1 installed.

"Mr. Salieri sends his regards."

I really enjoyed the first one (with the exception of the impossible race portion) so this is a good thing in my eyes. As long as they stay in the narrative style of the first one, this game will be quite good. It's not often that you get to play games that immerse you as well as Mafia did.

Won't bother since its 2k. They can go fuck themselves after what they did with bioshock.

Won't bother since its 2k. They can go fuck themselves after what they did with bioshock.

You are joking I hope? Did what exactly with Bioshock? Stopped people installing it on more than 2 pcs at the same time? where's the problem exactly?

Or are you referring to some other heinous crime that 2K have done?

Mafia came out in September 2002 and runs perfectly well on Windows XP. Make sure the game is patched to 1.2 (although this is just for performance issues and making the race a bit easier), I've never had an issue running it on XP, even with the movies not playing with SP1 installed.

Actually, no... not for me, anyway.

Even on the back of the box, XP is not listed. Mafia was released before XP, and every time I've tried running it on XP (yes, even patched) it has never worked.

I'd try it again, but with so many new titles on the verge of release, there's really no point.

Was a great game, though.

Actually, no... not for me, anyway.

Even on the back of the box, XP is not listed. Mafia was released before XP, and every time I've tried running it on XP (yes, even patched) it has never worked.

I'd try it again, but with so many new titles on the verge of release, there's really no point.

Was a great game, though.

Mafia was not released before XP, it was launched nearly a full year later.

Mafia - released August 29, 2002

XP - released October 25, 2001

And yes it is a great game, what exactly was the problem when you were trying to run it?

I ran Mafia under XP no problems, one of the best games ever! I hear you on the race being tough though, I had to put it down to the easiest setting with no vehicle damage to even stand a chance.

And please don’t start whining about 2k games in this thread too, there are about 67 other threads going for that.

"Mr. Salieri sends his regards."

It occurs to me that that would be an excellent oneliner for advertising the game.

The screenshots look to me like they're using the same engine as Mafia (LS3d, from memory), with a higher polycount. No more octagonal wheels!

Mafia was one of the best games I've played, ever. Far more immersive in it's way than GTA3 -- no rocket launchers to make you go "Wha?" for starters. The music was also kinda cool, with Django and all.

Back