$299.99 XEROX® 19" Widescreen LCD Flat Panel Monitor 4299 @ office depot

I bought one when they were running this deal two weeks ago, and I'm very happy with it.

That widescreen looks like a pretty nice deal, 19" widescreen, 500:1 and 8ms response time for $299. I am thinking about getting it, but are there any caveats?

Will the 1440x900 native res be weird? Any other opinions?

I passed on this last week. No reviews and not enough information for me to drop $300. I am still very tempted on this. Tim, how does it work for gaming?

beacon said:
That widescreen looks like a pretty nice deal, 19" widescreen, 500:1 and 8ms response time for $299. I am thinking about getting it, but are there any caveats?

This resolution is becoming more common. It is actually a 16:10 aspect ratio, not the more typical 16:9 widescreen ratio. Most of the newer games* that support widescreen will have 16:10 as a ratio to work with (e.g., HL2 and CS:S), and they will therefore support 1440x900 as well. You will also be able to find wallpapers in this resolution no problem...

I'm typing this on a VA1912wb right now.

*I have no opinion on whether the Xerox is suitable for gaming.

beacon said:

Just make sure your video card supports that res...my x850 does, wifes 6600 doesnt. I really should be a better husband and update her system :rolleyes:
But still thinking about pulling the trigger on this one if I could find some more reviews on it.

I also have an nvidia 6600 OC, and you have to go into the Nvidia settings and create a custom resolution, 1440x900, 75mhz refresh. It looks great. I had a little trouble getting windows to accept the 75mhz refresh with the default plug and play driver when i first installed it, but after rebooting 75mhz became an available option.

As for gaming I play Enemy Territory a lot, some COD 2, and my son plays gta san andreas a lot, and we think it's outstanding. No ghosting at all. Plus, it's just a really good looking monitor, all black, clean lines, classy.

As for widescreen wallpapers, interfacelift.com can't be beat, tons of great graphics in a wide variety of widescreen formats.

It says it has 2 analog inputs, anyone know what the second analog input is, assuming one is a d-sub?

Two standard vga inputs, one dvi-d input. No idea why you'd need two vga plugs, but there they are :)

Most games can be forced to work in widescreen properly... my Dell 2005FPW is 1680x1050 and I haven't encountered a game yet I can't have in widescreen. www.widescreengamingforum.com is an excellent site for info on how to get games to work in widescreen that don't natively support it. The resolution of this monitor is a standard 16:10 resolution, so there should be no issues there.

Did some looking around, and MIcrocenter has the same monitor, but with $60 in rebates, two 30 rebates. Anyone know how microcenter is with rebates?

Tim, how sensitive are you to ghosting? I'm asking because I know some people may notice it on an LCD while others don't. This is tempting but I don't want to spend $300 on the thing if its not suitable for gaming. I play a lot of fast paced shooters (UT, Quake, etc.) so I need minimal ghosting.

Oh, one more question. Does the LCD have any glare problems? I love my current LCD, the NEC MultiSync LCD1765 but it's got a glass coating that causes too much glare, making games with low light settings unplayable. It's like looking in a mirror.

I dunno, I wouldn't call myself an expert on it, but I think I would notice if there were any blurs or ghosting. I've seen Medal of Honor being demo'd on a crappy LCD and the ghosting was pretty obvious. Go to OD and see if they have one hooked up on display. My store didn't, but I took a chance and have never considered taking it back. My son does graphics for a TV station, and he liked it so much he bought one too.

Oh, the glare, none at all. Nada.

They have a liberal return policy. Pick it up, try it out for a few days, take it back if you're not happy. I'm keeping mine.

Mayhempball said:
Did some looking around, and MIcrocenter has the same monitor, but with $60 in rebates, two 30 rebates. Anyone know how microcenter is with rebates?

The one at Microcenter is the XR6-19W, the one at Office Depot is XR6-19DW. Not sure what the diff is, maybe the 19W lacks the DVI input? From googling it looks like the 19W is perhaps a european model.

If you buy this monitor, you could maybe figure out how to order it online or if possible use this coupon in the store:
During checkout, apply $30 off $150 coupon code "52530833" on it (Expires 04/24/2006)

Just something to help you all out who want it.

Jared

So after the coupon, it came out to 293 and some change, and this is for in store pick up, good deal?

I got this monitor a few weeks back....I really like it. Plays all muh games just fine and <$300 for a 19" wide isn't too shabby

Also, i used the coupon online and set it for in-store pickup...Total came out to 292 and some change.

I gave this LCD a shot and it failed BOTH times.

The first one had backlight problems, the top half was a lot dimmer than the bottom half.

The second one had a weird problem were the bottom left there was a circle area you could seen when the LCD was on a black background and on the top right there was dim area in a cone shape going from top to bottom.

With these problems, a 1 year warranty doesn't fly and not to mention widescreen in 19" is just too small to really enjoy it.

Took it back and picked up a 20" widescreen Viewsonic LCD from Costco.

nice deal for me i need the work space but no dual out for my old ati aiw card

Back