• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

290X's Stacked

saedrin

2[H]4U
2FA
Joined
Jan 5, 2009
Messages
2,284
Anyone running 3 or 4 of these stacked on top of each other? (IE. 2 slot, 2 slot, 2 slot, 2 slot)

I'm considering changing my 290x/260x/290x/260x mining rig to 4x 290x's but I'm seriously concerned about airflow when these cards are touching each other..

Here's an exact picture of what I'm looking to do.

product1063953658.jpg
 
put them under water, aairflow to the cards themselves wont be an issue then.
 
Yeah they're downclocked a bit to 875 but still running at 100% util.

I've got them spaced out now and they can hit 75C at full load around 80% fan. I'm basically just curious if they'll stay under 90C at 100% when they're stacked. I have a bad feeling that they're just too close for this though.
 
youll get no throttling, OC potential and extra hashes of it.

Depends on how serious you are about mining i guess.
 
Don't do this. I have my cards spaced with a full slot between them, and only 2 290Xs, and the top card still has to run the fan at 4000RPM to stay under 95C. With all four cards sandwiched you won't have nearly enough airflow. Get PCI-E powered risers and spread them out in a mining setup, or watercool them. Those are your only real options.
 
get those ribbon extenders, would take up more room but for mining they work great.
 
Back
Top