290x black screen crash

H-street

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a power color 290x and just in the last month when playing games it goes to black screen and crashes the computer. I have to restart to get back in.

I was fiddling around and if I reduce the memory to 1000mhz it seems stable again.

Did I just lost my card?

Yup. My 7970 is doing the same thing. Underclock the hell out of it and it works. Otherwise random black screen lockups. Reboot and it's fine. Then again I know my card is dying because 1 fan is toast. On the upside the 1070 is looking mighty nice. But I want to see how the new AMD card work before I buy a 1070. The new AMD cards have an amazing price point.

Well it could also be a power supply getting weaker or just not enough amps to start with, I been running my 290x for over year now and it just runs prefect but I have a 950 watt power supply feeding it.

Is there any chance this is driver related? I pulled off the drivers did a ddu reboot and install new drivers and so far the last hour no crashes. I also didn't install the AMD evolve app nor the play.tv stuff

Is there any chance this is driver related? I pulled off the drivers did a ddu reboot and install new drivers and so far the last hour no crashes. I also didn't install the AMD evolve app nor the play.tv stuff

It's..... possible, yes.

(AMD drivers can be "a pill")

Back