290x/290 Performance

Thanks. I am running the stock ASus BIOS ok at 1200ish/1600 but I need 1.412v to push it. That is max voltage. My temps are ok. I tried the PT3 BIOS and it was very unstable at any speed. Going to try the PT1.

How much voltage you use for your benchmark?

Yeah I also tried PT3 and its really bad, I got black screen every 2 seconds on desktop when using that with no additional voltage whatsoever.

My bench volts were 1.437 set with GPU Tweak so real voltage was more like 1.32 or something like that. Black screens start to haunt after 1.3ghz or if upping voltage even a little bit more. And I don't even have visible artifacts with those clocks so I'm a sad panda atm :(

Single 290X.
1273/1616

290xValleyBench.jpg

http://valid.canardpc.com/xjpber

Here is my result for two 290's in crossfire running at 1050mhz core and 1350mhz memory. Over 30,000 graphics score.

Capture.jpg

So, on air my Sapphire R9 290s do 1125 MHz and 1100 MHz, respectively. Not too shabby. About to Crossfire them soon now that I've tested them individually. Benches, ASICs, etc. here - http://1pcent.com/?p=392.

12.6k on air. single 290 pro 4670k

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7489081

Very Nice..UPS will be dropping my Sapphire 290 off this afternoon, and my *GASP* EK GPU block is on it's way from FrozenCPU..I got the only non nickel one in stock...Gonna use this post as a place holder for my air results tonight, then water as soon as that block arrives..

And SonDa5, I HATE you for making me buy an EK product..I feel like a dirty college chick during her walk of shame every time I think about it..:p:p

How are some of you getting 18k with one card when i have two cards in crossfiregetting 19000?

Very Nice..UPS will be dropping my Sapphire 290 off this afternoon, and my *GASP* EK GPU block is on it's way from FrozenCPU..I got the only non nickel one in stock...Gonna use this post as a place holder for my air results tonight, then water as soon as that block arrives..

And SonDa5, I HATE you for making me buy an EK product..I feel like a dirty college chick during her walk of shame every time I think about it..:p:p

Good for you. I doubt that other one you were looking at would work any better and the EK has the better pricing. So walk it off girl.

How are some of you getting 18k with one card when i have two cards in crossfiregetting 19000?

Your graphics score is at 30,000 while mine is at 22,000. My card is heavily over clocked and I have 20+% higher physics score than you with over clocked 4770k. Just the way futuremark does the math.

Both of your cards over clocked like mine with my 4770k clocks and your P score would be more like 28,000.

Also very important to get the highest score possible going into your CCC game settings and disable all the eye candy. The pros benchmarkers all do this. I'm sure your score will go up at least 2000 points.

Last edited:
Your graphics score is at 30,000 while mine is at 22,000. My card is heavily over clocked and I have 20+% higher physics score than you with over clocked 4770k. Just the way futuremark does the math.

Both of your cards over clocked like mine with my 4770k clocks and your P score would be more like 28,000.

Also very important to get the highest score possible going into your CCC game settings and disable all the eye candy. The pros benchmarkers all do this. I'm sure your score will go up at least 2000 points.

I was wondering why I only get 19k with crossfire 290x's. Will try this thanks :)

ok thanks. did you delid your 4770k? was it worth it?

Haven't really benchmarked it yet, just got done running furmark for a couple hours max temp was 57c with the fans maxed. Forgot to take a pic when I got the Accelero Xtreme III on there.
bgwGtZm.jpg

Looks kinda ghetto with the mix and match but height was a problem with the taller copper sinks on certain parts of the board.

Haven't really benchmarked it yet, just got done running furmark for a couple hours max temp was 57c with the fans maxed. Forgot to take a pic when I got the Accelero Xtreme III on there.

Looks kinda ghetto with the mix and match but height was a problem with the taller copper sinks on certain parts of the board.

You monitoring vrm temps? Be careful with those stick on heat sinks heat can loosen up glue and with fan can blow off. No vrm #2 heat sink for memory?

I let it set for a couple hours and cure, I am going to be checking it pretty obsessively for at least a couple weeks. Been my experience that if they are gonna fall off they tend to do it in the first couple weeks.

I honestly just got it installed and ran furmark to make sure I didn't screw anything up, ran bf4 for a round, didn't have any issues. Will tinker some more tomorrow, I know I need to watch the vrm temps, since I read about it being an issue on a couple places.

not sure what " No vrm #2 heat sink for memory? " means, kinda tired, little out of it.

Good for you. I doubt that other one you were looking at would work any better and the EK has the better pricing. So walk it off girl.

I think this is the only time in my life that I have laughed (in good humor, not about to knock their teeth out humor) when someone called me a "girl.":p..

Did see the news about the new BF4 promtion being added to the our cards? I actually ordered my card @ like 2:XX AM on the 13th, which is the same day the announcement went out..I hope I am able to get a code, since I was going to buy the game @ GameStop during Black Friday's sale anyway..

You monitoring vrm temps? Be careful with those stick on heat sinks heat can loosen up glue and with fan can blow off. No vrm #2 heat sink for memory?

^^^^THIS^^^^...I cannot stress it any harder then SonDa did that you are just placing a ticking time bomb in your PC...I actually had this happen with my Arctic Cooling S1 installed on my 4850..I knew I wasn't going to trust that tiny little bit of glue, so I whipped out a brand new batch of Arctic Thermal Adhesive (the two part that mixes like JB Weld)..I used it on the ram and VRMs..

I let it cure overnight, and then tested it's bond by hanging the card from a SINGLE tiny alumiunm 'sink (just like yours in the picture) on the top ram chip with fishing line in the air with a pillow below it..I let it hang for ~4 hours and then tried to move the sink by hand..It was rock solid...

Fast forward about 3 months and doing my monthly PC cleaning (I am dust freak), I happened to notice one of those lil sinks sitting right on top of my PSU..I freaked the hell out, stripped the card down to find it out that the sink in question had fallen off of the bottom VRM!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek:

I was blown away that the VRMs had gotten that hot to cause the Arctic Thermal to fail..I was so thankful that it was the bottom VRM sink..If it was even the next one up it would have shorted the card out and most likely taken the MB or entire system with it..

Just for the karma, I am going to PM you a message to check this thread in case you don't come back for some reason...

I'm glad you mentioned this SonDa..If you recall from the 7950 thread when I was #2 in the World by less then 27 points, I had all the eye candy in CCC turned on..I am going to turn it all off and do one last run before I retire the ole Golden Guy and pass it on to someone here @ [H]ard for a good price..

ok thanks. did you delid your 4770k? was it worth it?

Are you kidding? Oh wait, you are new so you get a pass..SonDa and me are the leaders of the de-lidded Ivy/Haswell club here lol..I kept telling him he should do his (at the time) 3770K and once he did he was hooked..He was even nice enough to write a nice thread with pictures, while my lazy self only wrote a text guide:p...

VRMs are maxing @ 84c after running furmark for 30 minutes or so

will watch that closely and periodically check that the sinks didn't fall off.

VRMs are maxing @ 84c after running furmark for 30 minutes or so

will watch that closely and periodically check that the sinks didn't fall off.

What clock speeds and voltage settings if any?

Are you seeing one VRM hotter than the other? With memory voltage control increases and overclocking the VRMs will heat up alot.

You are missing a memory VRM heat sink in the circle.

heatsink290xnomemory.jpg

I wouldn't run it without a heat sink on it.

Last edited:
Got my 2nd 290 installed last night. Only did leak testing before going to bed. Will button everything back up tonight and get some numbers.

What clock speeds and voltage settings if any?

Are you seeing one VRM hotter than the other? With memory voltage control increases and overclocking the VRMs will heat up alot.

You are missing a memory VRM heat sink in the circle.

*pic snip*

I wouldn't run it without a heat sink on it.

Ya, one was 84c and the other was 25 degrees cooler.

Haven't messed with voltage other than the slider in CCC, and my temps are with the gpu clock set to 1100 in afterburner.

I am going to take the big sink off and see what I can do about the memory VRMs, thanks, I don't know if I just missed putting a heatsink on there or if I just didn't realize I need one on there.

glad I posted that pic

Underwater with a EK acetal nickel block. 55C highest under furmark, 50c under regular gaming.

Cant get past 1100 without artifacts after a few minutes. Using the beta 17 afterburner file with +100mv and +50 power limit. :(

Testing the memory speed now. Currently at 1350..

So far using afterburner I'm able to at least game at 1190/1500. Anything higher on the core and I start to get random freezing. Still pushing the memory, but I figure 1500 is more than enough speed. Temps are topping out around 49 with 2 cards in the loop. Haven't done any furmark testing yet.

Managed to run up to 51 last game. Adjusting the fans makes no difference, so I'm guessing this is about the limit of what the block itself can pull off the card.

Last edited:
Thats pretty good, 25% core increase, 20% memory increase.
You should get substantial benefits!

So far using afterburner I'm able to at least game at 1190/1500. Anything higher on the core and I start to get random freezing. Still pushing the memory, but I figure 1500 is more than enough speed. Temps are topping out around 49 with 2 cards in the loop. Haven't done any furmark testing yet.

Managed to run up to 51 last game. Adjusting the fans makes no difference, so I'm guessing this is about the limit of what the block itself can pull off the card.

Are you thinking about flashing your cards to the 290x bios?

I'm assuming thats with 100mv?

May I ask what you're using for rads?

wow, my saphhire 290 pro does 1000 easy on reference air

fan doesnt break 55, cant even hear it in my corsair 900 case

all the bitching about temps, believe it or not, my case is expelling less temps then it did with my 7970 OC.

Last edited:
Final numbers on this driver and afterburner beta 17 build. Could probably use more voltage to hit 1200+
Using stock Asus 290 bios.

+100mv
+50 power target

Temp:
Low idle @ 35c
highest temp after uniengine valley for 1 hour @ 50c

Core Clock: 1175mhz
Mem clock: 1550.

Anomaly to note:
Had to drop my refresh rate to 60hz on the asus 144hz monitor to get longterm playable stability on several games. After a half hour to hour of playing a game the monitor would get "blurry" and i would have to get it to reset itself by changing the refresh rate and it would go back to normal.

I been reading some that the XFX and Powercolor 290 cards that flash to 290x with full shaders was real 290x chips by there etched number for the 290 (215-0852020) gpu or the 290x (215-0852000) gpu on the die. so some people was getting a 290x for 290 price..

Been doing some benching as well:
rnXC6hU.png

It still goes more but I need better PSU, Corsair HX650w just can't keep up with these clocks and volts.

Been doing some benching as well:
rnXC6hU.png

It still goes more but I need better PSU, Corsair HX650w just can't keep up with these clocks and volts.

Nice score and clocks. Have you amped psu from receptical? How do you know you are making out your psu output rating?

Final numbers on this driver and afterburner beta 17 build. Could probably use more voltage to hit 1200+
Using stock Asus 290 bios.

+100mv
+50 power target

Temp:
Low idle @ 35c
highest temp after uniengine valley for 1 hour @ 50c

Core Clock: 1175mhz
Mem clock: 1550.

Anomaly to note:
Had to drop my refresh rate to 60hz on the asus 144hz monitor to get longterm playable stability on several games. After a half hour to hour of playing a game the monitor would get "blurry" and i would have to get it to reset itself by changing the refresh rate and it would go back to normal.

you can use gpu tweak though right with the asus bios?
could upload the bios to techpowerup.
submit trough gpu-z

wanted to test a 290 asus with gou tweak as afterburner wont do more than 100mv and want the easier solution.

Nice score and clocks. Have you amped psu from receptical? How do you know you are making out your psu output rating?

Well my meter is saying 740w from the socket with those clocks. So with 85% efficiency that would be 630w.
If I up the volts so that I can pass 1330mhz, my psu just shuts down.

So I need to lower my cpu clock and volts a lot before I can actually pass 1330mhz.

What are you using to add more voltage and get to 1330? I'm using afterburner beta 17 and so far the best I can really run without any hitching is 1190 core.

That's crazy your getting 22k graphics score on a single card.. I can only get 20k with 2x7950's @1100mhz.. That does it my 7950's are off to e-bay lol

Do you guys have frame pacing on in crossfire? I seem to get slightly better performance with it off

Back