290x/290 Performance

SonDa5

Supreme [H]ardness
Post your ASIC scores, benchmarks, over clocking tweaks, cooling mods, ect.

My card Sapphire 290x.

ASIC score 72%.

booted290xstock.jpg

Stock clocks on the 290x 3dmark11 with stock heat sink scores over P14000.

stock290x3dmark11.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7425979

Have EK block and will water cool this card soon. Just waiting for the EK back plate which should be here tomorrow.

Got the block on and the card is nice and cool but it needs voltage control to push it even more. Sapphire TRIXX where you at?

ek290x.jpg

Card is beast. Even with a little over clock of 1100/1313.

3dmark11290x.jpg

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm11/7438432

Need voltage control.

Tried it yesterday and the BIOS was buggy with my card. Better to wait for official TRIXx.

Hasn't been updated in eight months. I'm starting to think that they've dropped support.

Its based on Wizzard's gpu tool just like Asus gpu tweak. That works and has been updated, yet no word on an update for Trixx.

BTW, the ASIC on my cards is 77% and 68%. By sheer luck I got the 77% card in the top slot.

I can't wait for afterburner to support voltage control. I would like to be able to hit 1200mhz 24/7.

I'm loving my EK blocks too. :)

i am happy with 72.2% on the Powercolor 290 i bought yesterday

asic.jpg

i am happy with 72.2% on the Powercolor 290 i bought yesterday

Looking good. Looking forward to learning how to tweak these cards with you all. IMO these cards have alot of potential once properly cooled with a well tuned BIOS and working voltage control.

My Sapphire 290X box states right on it that the card supports TRIXX.

Not sure what the hold up with the voltage over clocking utilities but I hope the devlopers are being well paid for their efforts.

My Sapphire 290X box states right on it that the card supports TRIXX.

Thats a good point, false advertisement?

Not sure what the hold up with the voltage over clocking utilities but I hope the devlopers are being well paid for their efforts.

I asked about this on TPU a while ago and never got a response. I wonder if there is some sort of rift between wizzard and sapphire? I have seen him comment on these utilities in the past.

Playing around with Asus BIOS and GPUTweak got some decent results. I hope Sapphire can beat this. I was hoping for at least a 1300/1800.

My current PR for my 290x on 3dMark11.

1216/1660

290xbeast.jpg

I am hoping that the voltage regulators on the reference cards are adjustable.

I don't understand Afterburner not being able to adjust them?

I'm really thinking there won't be a way to do this unless the BIOS is changed.
I've read where the ASUS BIOS that was released isn't that stable.

I'm going to wait for some more developments from Afterburner and until Heatkiller releases their blocks.

I also think that with some voltage tweaks these cards have huge Overclocking room.:D

Whoa.. that is a lot of voltage. Any idea what your power consumption is?

Whoa.. that is a lot of voltage. Any idea what your power consumption is?

Need to find my amp probe... some where in the garage. I will address your question once I find my amp probe.

I am using a Seasonic 660W PSU which seems to be doing a good job for the over clocked 290x and over clocked 4770k (4.8GHZ).

AMD recommends at least a 750W PSU for a single 290x.

Need to find my amp probe... some where in the garage. I will address your question once I find my amp probe.

I am using a Seasonic 660W PSU which seems to be doing a good job for the over clocked 290x and over clocked 4770k (4.8GHZ).

Sweet! Looking good thus far. I am interested to see how these higher clocked 290X's hold their own against higher clocked 780's.

Yeah, thats ridiculous. I'm pretty sure that they're just factoring in for crappy power supplies. According to my ups, my pc with two cards at 1100mhz under water don't pull more than 700w from the wall and that includes my monitor.

TbtFs4l.png
My 290x that I'm using right now.
qb2heL8l.jpg

My 2 290s should be here soon, just waiting on UPS to ring the bell.

Last edited:
Did you check if the official TRIXx is on the CD/DVD that came with the card?

i ended up ordering a second 290, this time a sapphire one, ill post its ASIC when it gets here, i chose 3 day shipping on this one so i likely wont see it until monday.

so YOU guys are the ones that snagged all the EK blocks in the world. My 290 will be stuck on reference for a little while longer while EK builds more.

got 1075/1375 out of it though so far.

so YOU guys are the ones that snagged all the EK blocks in the world. My 290 will be stuck on reference for a little while longer while EK builds more.

got 1075/1375 out of it though so far.

Hehe, I got really lucky and managed to get the only EK block they had in stock this week. Anyhoo. Pictures. I'll be back in a few with the 290, the one the has the waterblock. The one I'm testing on air has a shitty ASIC and that makes me sad.
rJzWuqIl.png

pOXPtsQl.jpg
Spinning the tubing off the old video card. BOOM in the face. Computers are hard.
KEV1JDCl.jpg
Stalker 1
9duDk0Tl.jpg
The Overlord
VxVfnMGl.jpg
Naked and waiting
uzSR9hAl.jpg
All good too go
lK4UdY9l.jpg
Bonus pic of the backside of a 290x and a non x. The only difference is a few stickers.

So, while I wait for my mobo to be RMA'd, I'm gaming on my i5 2500K @ 4.6 GHz rig. I was running 2x 290X in Crossfire, but I'm now going one by one through my new Sapphire R9 290 Crossfire setup (keeping the 290X's, as well, of course). ANYWAY - BF4 MP in 64-bit is my main stability tester (once I'm beyond the standard Unigine, 3DMark, etc. stuff) and I can't believe how crazy well a single 290 performs in BF4 MP at 1080p/120hz. Honestly, I see no reason to push for Crossfire for most people. I am sure the drivers need to be fixed...but things bounce HUGELY in Crossfire for me - maybe 90 FPS (give or take) all the way up to like 180 FPS with Crossfire. Single card, in general, hovers around 70-90 FPS and the "feel(tm)" ([H]) is about the same.

We'll see. Maybe it will all change when I start getting my 4770K and 4930K in the mix. But for now, a single 290 has to be the best BF4 bang/buck in the world.

Asic of the card on water.
EuXKQQX.png

Pic of the actual tubes.
AsHea9Zl.jpg

Looking at this pic. How should I combine my 2 loops when my 2nd card comes in. I'm thinking front rad > gpu > gpu > pump > 2nd rad > gpu > 2nd pump > repeat.

Asic of the card on water.
EuXKQQX.png

Pic of the actual tubes.
AsHea9Zl.jpg

Looking at this pic. How should I combine my 2 loops when my 2nd card comes in. I'm thinking front rad > gpu > gpu > pump > 2nd rad > gpu > 2nd pump > repeat.

Are you going to have separate reservoirs for each pump? 2 radiators? If you have 2 pumps seems like it would be best for flow and cooling to separate loads of GPUs and CPU to 2 completely separate loops. That case is awesome looking with the mother board mount. Looks tight on space though.

Last edited:
Sapphire R9 290 with 75.8% ASIC...thing clocks to 1125 MHz stable (stock voltage) with no artifacts (1130 shown in Afterburner - slight artifacts in BF4 x64 MP 64p server so I dialed back). Higher than either of my 290X's go! All on air/stock cooler. And yeah, leaf blower mode. :)

(click to enlarge)

3DMark Firestrike, etc. here - http://1pcent.com/?p=392

Last edited:
At those clocks it's around 13% faster over stock in game performance .. now was that stock voltage?

At those clocks it's around 13% faster over stock in game performance .. now was that stock voltage?

Yes, indeed! Good point. Edited my post. I think I finally may have won the silicon lottery with a GPU. Heh.

Thats getting in 780Ti area with +13% preformance .. aftermarket cooler and 3rd party software should get in really moving!

I know everyone say to wait for AIB cards but if AMD can't keep up with demand then price will go up as they have done it before to slow demand down.

Thats getting in 780Ti area with +13% preformance .. aftermarket cooler and 3rd party software should get in really moving!

I know everyone say to wait for AIB cards but if AMD can't keep up with demand then price will go up as they have done it before to slow demand down.

I'm always happy with reference cards - since they're blower design. Yeah, these are a bit loud...but I usually end up doing 3,4 card configs and blower-style is the only way to go. Usually AIB cards are in-the-case blowers which are terrible in sandwich configuration. I have 4 290 cards (2x and 2 regular) so I will be testing CrossFireX with all of them at some point.

Are you guys seeing the cards throttle back in Furmark? I can game all day and do Unigine Valley all day with this card at 1125 MHz but in Furmark it throttles to the 800s...like 834 or something...is that just an AMD driver "trick" due to the application?

Are you going to have separate reservoirs for each pump? 2 radiators? If you have 2 pumps seems like it would be best for flow and cooling to separate loads of GPUs and CPU to 2 completely separate loops. That case is awesome looking with the mother board mount. Looks tight on space though.

Ya, it's a bit tight with all the stuff in there. Right now I have the front radiator/pump on my cpu and my 2nd loop is on the video cards. Running 3750k at 4.5gh and so far I've had the card up to 1100mhz while gaming. Need more voltage.

my Second 290 arrived today, this ones a Sapphire and its a 72.9% ASIC, which i think will likely go good with my 72.2% powercolor one i posted on page one.

Gigabyte 290X: ASIC 75.6%

Some benching with water:

Tessellation:

tMt7SRO.png

No Tessellation:

9g5PF6t.png

Asus 290 - 63.9 ASIC score :mad:
EK Nickel Acetal block and backplate here on thursday. Then a waiting game for the utilities and bios tweaks.

Asus PT1 BIOS

Could go even more but black screen bug makes benching a lot harder after 1.3ghz.

You all are really making want to sell my 2 7950's on water for a 290 on water. These this really like higher clocks.

Asus PT1 BIOS

Could go even more but black screen bug makes benching a lot harder after 1.3ghz.

Thanks. I am running the stock ASus BIOS ok at 1200ish/1600 but I need 1.412v to push it. That is max voltage. My temps are ok. I tried the PT3 BIOS and it was very unstable at any speed. Going to try the PT1.

How much voltage you use for your benchmark?

Back