• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

2900xt work in an sn25p?

Chris_B

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 29, 2001
Messages
5,487
At the minute im running an sn25p, fx60 @2.8ghz along with 2 sata hdd drives, 1 dvd rw, 2 gigs of ram and an x1900xt. Would the 350 watt psu stretch to running a 2900xt?

Considering ordering one on monday but ive no real idea if it will work, shuttle psu's are meant to be really efficient and all but i think this may be just too much for it. I can order a 400watt shuttle psu which would more than likely run it but id prefer to add any additional cost. Worst comes to the worst ive an external psu i can use to power it for the time being.
 
Its only a 350watt PSU? If so I'd say thats a pretty big no.

The psu is 350 watt but its an extremly efficient 350 watt, many people say its more like the equivilant of a 600 watt psu for a desktop pc.
 
pic of the shuttle psu 44.5a on the 12v line.. Edit: actually more like 34amps, adding it wrong.

PSU_SN25P.jpg
 
How is anyone to know?
Wait til the card is out and reviews on power consumption are posted.
If it does work, great. Except you wont be able to overclock it.
 
Have you seen the rumored power draw numbers? Hey if you want to kill some components go ahead. I believe ATI was recommending something like a 500+ watt ps to support the card.
 
Have you seen the rumored power draw numbers? Hey if you want to kill some components go ahead. I believe ATI was recommending something like a 500+ watt ps to support the card.



They also reccomended 450 watt for the x1900xt\xtx yet it runs perfectly fine on the shuttle 350. Just have to wait till tuesday i suppose :(
 
And a stock X1900XTX uses around 120-130W at load. Mfgr's recommendations are always based on total system load, and usually are set higher than what's actually needed, just to be on the safe side.
 
They also reccomended 450 watt for the x1900xt\xtx yet it runs perfectly fine on the shuttle 350. Just have to wait till tuesday i suppose :(

Wait and find out... you could try asking in the SFF forum where you'll get more informed answers, but no one really knows yet :(. My best guess off of my experiences with my SN25P awhile back (since sold) is that it would work, but again, we need power draw numbers of the card itself to tell.
 
I have a 400 watt PSU in my Shuttle and I'm a bit worried with regards to a HD 2900 XT.

350? I'm leaning towards "probably not" unless the card is 65 nm with the lower power draw.

But wait until Monday to see the reviewed power consumption numbers.
 
pic of the shuttle psu 44.5a on the 12v line.. Edit: actually more like 34amps, adding it wrong.
That just might still work, if those are real, accurate numbers for the +12v. That power supply is good in that it doesn't pad out it's wattage numbers with largely unused 3.3v and 5v. The speced peak draw for the 2900XT is suppose to be a little under 17A for stock and close to 19A for OC. If those rails are strickly limited and you allocate the single bus to the card you might have trouble with OC. But often the overcurrent per bus isn't strickly enforced.

EDIT: Although riding close to the raggity edge tends to be bad for PSU over the long term. But unless you are constantly chugging the video card I wouldn't, unless these card do something very different, expect you to pull that sort of power sustained. If you were working the video card like that I bet you'd be often unhappy with your Min. frame rates.
 
I have the same question but rather than make a new topic asking the same kind of thing I'll just ask it here.

I have an Antec Smartpower 2.0 500w (had it for over a year and no problems).
I'm not sure exactly how many amps are on the 12v rails.
It does how 2 PCI-E power connectors btw.

Will my PSU be good enough to overclock the 2900XT in you guys's opinion?
 
Guys...look at his PSU. It's rated for a TOTAL maximum of 350W. Lets assume in total, his +5V and his +3.3V only draw 10W. That leaves 340W left for the +12V. 340/12 = 28.33 amps. With the 8800 GTX system requires 30A (whole system), you think the R600 will require a system less than that? Not only that, but your rails are split two-way. Don't even bother. I wouldn't even get a single 8800 GTX with your power supply, much less anything more power intensive.

@Kano, if you don't know how many amps, then check. Given the minimum for an 8800 GTX system is 30A, I would suggest you make sure that the combined wattage for the +12V is at the very minimum 360W (not less than the 8800 GTX, but I won't guess how much more it will be). Also take into account how many hard drives you have.
 
Guys...look at his PSU. It's rated for a TOTAL maximum of 350W. Lets assume in total, his +5V and his +3.3V only draw 10W. That leaves 340W left for the +12V. 340/12 = 28.33 amps. With the 8800 GTX system requires 30A (whole system), you think the R600 will require a system less than that? Not only that, but your rails are split two-way. Don't even bother. I wouldn't even get a single 8800 GTX with your power supply, much less anything more power intensive.

@Kano, if you don't know how many amps, then check. Given the minimum for an 8800 GTX system is 30A, I would suggest you make sure that the combined wattage for the +12V is at the very minimum 360W (not less than the 8800 GTX, but I won't guess how much more it will be). Also take into account how many hard drives you have.

Only using one HD and just one DVD drive.

I've tried to figure out how many amps the 12v rail is but to no avail.
Different websites give different numbers, one website said the minimum was 25 amps but then another said 35.

I understand what wattage and efficiency means but when it comes to 12v rail amps I'm lost.
 
I speculate that it's enough to handle one card. As for overclocking, I don't know. I wouldn't keep my hopes up, but feel free to experiment.
 
Guys...look at his PSU. It's rated for a TOTAL maximum of 350W. Lets assume in total, his +5V and his +3.3V only draw 10W. That leaves 340W left for the +12V. 340/12 = 28.33 amps. With the 8800 GTX system requires 30A (whole system), you think the R600 will require a system less than that? Not only that, but your rails are split two-way. Don't even bother. I wouldn't even get a single 8800 GTX with your power supply, much less anything more power intensive.

DSC00250.jpg


8800gtx in a shutle with 350 psu :p

touch and go if it'll work for me or not, we'll see tuesday.
 
Ill be sure to post pics, if it works me with a big smile, if not, me attacking the shuttle with an axe.:D
 
Back
Top