2900xt and Bioshock.

I am running in dx10 lol why da heck would i be running in dx9 lol are u new?

and lol 2 AA are u new?? People run 4aa not 2 lol

another arrogrant 8800 fanboy lol god u crack me up. Would u like me to post screens wif Fraps displayed? or even a video to rock u hard? lol.
It just makes me laugh to c that 8800gts users can't handle the fact that 2900xt kicks as in heavy shader use games lik unreal 3 ungine n crysis.

I wasn't saying 2xAA, I was saying 2 for "too". Relax, I don't even own an 8800, I was just fucking with you. You guys are hypersensitive to the shit, and I was pointing that out :)

Finally overnight during release steamed fixed my issues, and with the hotfix, BIOSHOCK runs like a charm on my crossfire setup.

Finally overnight during release steamed fixed my issues, and with the hotfix, BIOSHOCK runs like a charm on my crossfire setup.

The problem is it doesn't run any faster on 2 ATI cards than it does on 1. Crossfire is useless until they put a profile in the driver.

It actually doesn't kick ass in anything. AMD/ATI messed up because they've designed the card wrong. Who's fault it was, I don't know. All I know is this: I sell computers for a living so allot of hardware goes trough my hands. I've just build a new machine not to long ago and went with the 2900 XT 1GB, and did about 2 weeks of testing. The card has some major issues: First of all, it has to many dormant stream processors. Unlike the 8 series from nv, the 2900 XT has different kind of stream processors. It has 64 clusters, and each of them has 5 stream processors. The first 4 are identical, and do single precision Floating Point, and the 5th does more complex operations like sin/cos and so on. If you've ever payed attention in geometry and trigonometry class, you will know that sin/cos/tan/ctg are very often used to perform calculations and equations. This architecture is called VLIW (Very Long Instruction Word) and it's very similar to what Intel used in their Itanium design about a decade ago. Yes, it can do math, but it sucks for graphics. AMD has every intention to use this design in their upcoming "Fusion" cpu, and they have to implement it in such a way that CPU&GPU are one, otherwise they run out of space on the silicone die. My conclusion is that they are using customers as "beta testers" for their design. What ever the reason, I've used to like ATI, but this card sucks. How ever, if you like it, use it, enjoy it. And no, it's not very good in shader intensive games either. You do have 4 out 5 stream processors on each cluster doing almost nothing but generating heat most of the time... Why people decide to take sides without having a clue beyond me...

Very good m8, you have the logic in order, but what your saying is theory based in the sense, you dont actually know if they are dorment or not, and if they are, WHO knows whats allowing me to run Bioshock on max DX10 settings with 1900x1200 smoothly. why would ATI bother experimenting with people with there new technology? they would lose more money than they make. By posting this comment on this thread you are taking sides, this thread was intended to ask people the performance of there 2900's on bioshock, man ran fantastic. I bought a 8800 Ultra just 2 days ago, granted it was very powerful, ran alot faster than my 2900 BUT, it made my room so hot that I had to open the window while playing games, and the drivers where awful in comparison to ATI's so I returned it, the 2900 aint that bad in price and despite your theory it does perform well, I can run it maximum on every game I own including stalker, I couldnt care less what the 8800 can do tbh, seeing as I dont have one. This flaming happened when the x1800 came out, people said the exact same crap, next thing people love the card and the 1900. people just need to just sit tight and see how things pan out.

I bought a 8800 Ultra just 2 days ago, granted it was very powerful, ran alot faster than my 2900 BUT, it made my room so hot that I had to open the window while playing games, and the drivers where awful in comparison to ATI's so I returned it, the 2900 aint that bad in price and despite your theory it does perform well, I can run it maximum on every game I own including stalker, I couldnt care less what the 8800 can do tbh, seeing as I dont have one. This flaming happened when the x1800 came out, people said the exact same crap, next thing people love the card and the 1900. people just need to just sit tight and see how things pan out.

I've sold many systems with Ultras in them, one customer even wanted Ultras in SLI. They don't run any hotter than the 2900 XT, that's just utter crap. The X1800 was crap, I know, because I had a couple of them back in the day and they very garbage. Now, the X1900 and X1950s very good cards, with the exception of the X1900 AIW which was also garbage. Your just an ATI fanboy. Explain to me, how is it rational to buy shittier hardware for about the same price, because an ULTRA after MIR is about $559 or so, while a 1GB 2900 XT is $500~$529? Not to mention that a GTX can be had for about $469. No, didn't think so... But then again, common sense isn't that common anymore either...

All these people quoting Bioshock FPS and nobody can dish me the details on what I'm screwing up trying to get to the console to turn on stat fps? Are you mofos all just making up these FPS numbers? :eek: :p

I've sold many systems with Ultras in them, one customer even wanted Ultras in SLI. They don't run any hotter than the 2900 XT, that's just utter crap. The X1800 was crap, I know, because I had a couple of them back in the day and they very garbage. Now, the X1900 and X1950s very good cards, with the exception of the X1900 AIW which was also garbage. Your just an ATI fanboy. Explain to me, how is it rational to buy shittier hardware for about the same price, because an ULTRA after MIR is about $559 or so, while a 1GB 2900 XT is $500~$529? Not to mention that a GTX can be had for about $469. No, didn't think so... But then again, common sense isn't that common anymore either...

I couldnt care less how many computers you have sold, I am merly going by my experiance that when I breifly had a 8800 Ultra it ran hotter, and it did, even my temp monitor showed that. Despite the x1800 being crap, it still was able to play settings that my freinds 7800 gtx could not, I only like ati becuase every time I had an nvidia card it either gave me constant blue screens or it was DOA, not any other reason. in the UK a 8800 Ultra costs roughly £411, the 2900 cost me £285 and the GTX costs around the £350 so dont assume I have the same prices as you, there is no MIR in the UK, so stop with the insults as I never gave them to you. All the insentives you have to get the 8800 dont exsist as much in the UK, so my choices are different.

I get 30-45fps typically, dips into the high 20's if there is a lot of action.

I use ATI Tray tools. It has an on screen display that will show the FPS and other info if wanted. Default is top right of your monitor.

I couldnt care less how many computers you have sold, I am merly going by my experiance that when I breifly had a 8800 Ultra it ran hotter, and it did, even my temp monitor showed that. Despite the x1800 being crap, it still was able to play settings that my freinds 7800 gtx could not, I only like ati becuase every time I had an nvidia card it either gave me constant blue screens or it was DOA, not any other reason. in the UK a 8800 Ultra costs roughly £411, the 2900 cost me £285 and the GTX costs around the £350 so dont assume I have the same prices as you, there is no MIR in the UK, so stop with the insults as I never gave them to you. All the insentives you have to get the 8800 dont exsist as much in the UK, so my choices are different.

Well, I hope that your computer runs fine on faith, because your an ATI fan boy. It's one thing to like a company, I have no problem with your choice of hardware because it's your money, but to tell people crap like that pisses me off because I'm not a fan boy of either company, just go with what's best. By the way, how do you like the Jet Engine sound of your fan when you play 3D games? I don't know about you, but it drove me crazy. How do you like the fact that you can use the 2900 XT as a haird dryer with the amount of hot air it exhausts... Trust, your just trying to justify your choice, that's all. I don't care what you use, just don't talk crap. The X1800 wasn't by no means faster than any of the 7800 cards, because I had them both when they where out. I even remember all the little problems the X1800 had (not to mention that with some chip revisions you needed to warm up the card before overclocking). The X1950's where a different issue do, because they gave the 7 series a run for their money pretty much. I would choose a 1950 pro any day over a 7900 GS. Just be objective for crying out loud. :(

All these people quoting Bioshock FPS and nobody can dish me the details on what I'm screwing up trying to get to the console to turn on stat fps? Are you mofos all just making up these FPS numbers? :eek: :p

Nope, I've used FRAPS. I got the impression that the game was capped at 60FPS. I did get 60 FPS with both the 2900XT and 8800 GTX, but with the 2900XT the FPS wasn't constant, and the game looked like crap. I've found out that there is a hot fix for the 2900XT that fixes the problem with "missing textures", but it really doesn't matter since I don't have it anymore. Download FRAPS and test your FPS. What video card do you have and what settings are you running? Also, Bioshock has no AA settings in the menu, which kinda sucks.

Wolfman3k5, turn off the v-sync in the graphics setting menu if you want to see >60FPS. Not that that matters much but that is why it is capping.

Well, I hope that your computer runs fine on faith, because your an ATI fan boy. It's one thing to like a company, I have no problem with your choice of hardware because it's your money, but to tell people crap like that pisses me off because I'm not a fan boy of either company, just go with what's best. By the way, how do you like the Jet Engine sound of your fan when you play 3D games? I don't know about you, but it drove me crazy. How do you like the fact that you can use the 2900 XT as a haird dryer with the amount of hot air it exhausts... Trust, your just trying to justify your choice, that's all. I don't care what you use, just don't talk crap. The X1800 wasn't by no means faster than any of the 7800 cards, because I had them both when they where out. I even remember all the little problems the X1800 had (not to mention that with some chip revisions you needed to warm up the card before overclocking). The X1950's where a different issue do, because they gave the 7 series a run for their money pretty much. I would choose a 1950 pro any day over a 7900 GS. Just be objective for crying out loud. :(

you qouted my reply, and replied saying I run on faith? the card was £117 pounds cheaper for an extra 10-20 fps that aint worth it to me, yes the fan is loud and very anoying. And what crap? my first post stated prices and how the 8800 Ultra is hotter than the 2900 I have, and it is, its a very hot card, I had to RMA 3 and the 4th one was still very hot, so what are you on about me being a fanboy. Not everyone in this world can afford "what is best" becuase what is best tend to cost "the most". And again I will repeat, I do not care for you experiances as you are the one who started calling me a fanboy, as far as I knew, your the one saying "The HD 2900 is crap" in your personal info. And fan boys dont buy 8800 ultras is they like ati do they, moron.

I wonder why some people can always find a MIR for a nVidia card but couldn't find a similiar MIR for an ATi card...

I wonder why some people can always find a MIR for a nVidia card but couldn't find a similiar MIR for an ATi card...

Probably because there are way less (according to newegg):
Mail In Rebates:

Radeon HD 2000 series (13)
Radeon HD 2400PRO (2)
Radeon HD 2400XT (1)
Radeon HD 2600PRO (3)
Radeon HD 2600XT (3)
Radeon HD 2900XT (4)

GeForce 8 series (64)
GeForce 8400GS (3)
GeForce 8500GT (15)
GeForce 8600GT (11)
GeForce 8600GTS (10)
GeForce 8800GTS (11)
GeForce 8800Ultra (6)
GeForce 8800GTX (8)

This is the kind of numbers I'm getting with an 8800 GTS. I'd like to see some comparisons to a radeon 2900. All settings "on" except vsync and dx10 textures (windows XP). 1280 x 1024:

(first scene, before pressing ANY KEYS or moving the mouse:

Bioshock4.jpg

Another scene, when elevator has reached it's destination:

Bioshock2.jpg

More spam and useless trolling by a NV fan. Its like it never ends. :eek:

Question: do YOU have anything better to do than troll the forums and yell TROLL whenever you get the chance? Ever have anything whatsoever to say about the original post? No? Ok

On-topic, I've been away from my desktop, but can't wait to play this game when I get home. Finally some REAL dx10 goodness

It's certainly a step up from the likes of the patch-games, but I think that quote may be better served when Crysis releases ;).

Even Crysis won't show a huge difference in DX9 and DX10, only when DX10 only games come out will we see the full effect.

This is the kind of numbers I'm getting with an 8800 GTS. I'd like to see some comparisons to a radeon 2900. All settings "on" except vsync and dx10 textures (windows XP). 1280 x 1024:

[took out the images during quote]

Another scene, when elevator has reached it's destination:

[took out the images during quote]
Nice :D That's the way it's supposed to look. Don't worry, no one with a 2900 XT will post. I've tested the game on the Sapphire 2900 XT 1GB that I had and it looked like crap. Happily back to my 8800 GTX. Nice screenshots. Can you post some results at 1680x1050 with everythign maxed out, I'm curious what kind of FPS you get with a GTS at that resolution. Thanks again for the screen shots.

Nice :D That's the way it's supposed to look. Don't worry, no one with a 2900 XT will post. I've tested the game on the Sapphire 2900 XT 1GB that I had and it looked like crap. Happily back to my 8800 GTX. Nice screenshots. Can you post some results at 1680x1050 with everythign maxed out, I'm curious what kind of FPS you get with a GTS at that resolution. Thanks again for the screen shots.

I'd appreciate if you didn't shit on my thread. I didn't ask for trolling, I don't care how bad your 2900xt was, if you don't have anything important and/or logical to say, than don't say it all. I'm happy that you're satisfied with your 8800gtx purchase It's a very good card, but there's no reason to bash the 2900xt when you obviously didn't do what was neccessary to enjoy the game as 2k/Ati intended. There' s a hotfix for a reason, that reason being correcting the problems you were having, and for some reason or another you don't seem to be able to grasp that concept. Please, don't post in my thread again, unless you have something insightful to say. Oh, and by the way I'll have a 2900xt within the next few weeks, and I'll be more than glad to post some screen shots. :D pz.

Now, Any other 2900xt care to share their experiences? Thank You much in advance. - Matt

and a 2900 xt can be had for $340~$360 whaz ur point? If it excels good in Bioshock DX10 (7.9s aren't even out yet), it can excel in other games too

Even Crysis won't show a huge difference in DX9 and DX10, only when DX10 only games come out will we see the full effect.

I'm sure there will be some major difference in outdoor scenes, lightning effects, shaddow effects, facial animations, not to mention the entire feel of the game

Here is my screen shot, with 1920x1200, with settings on or maxed. Vista64 Ultimate.

1222532370_d189b64bdf_o.jpg

1222532728_8cbff34cd9_o.jpg

Wolfman, dude man, can you keep your focus on the thread topic?
Reminder: "2900XT and Bioshock"
You obviously made no attempt to apply the hotfix when you had a 2900XT. Or maybe it wasn't available yet? I was reading your posts and you use the word fanboy a lot. How would you describe yourself then? After the stuff you posted in this thread that was entirely off topic? And by the way, any credibility you had went south of the border when you said "The X1800 wasn't by no means faster than any of the 7800 cards". What were you thinking?
By the way, I own a 8800GTS. If you can't keep it real, don't post. Thanks in advance.

On Topic: OP: I can ask my friend for some screenies of Bioshock on his 2900XT with framerates if you want.

Here is my screen shot, with 1920x1200, with settings on or maxed. Vista64 Ultimate.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1325/1222532370_d189b64bdf_o.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1300/1222532728_8cbff34cd9_o.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Pretty bogus. The first screenshot isn't even with the right aspect ratio. And the fraps fps counter is much larger on the first screenshot. I do believe the second shot was taken at 1920 x 1200, it has the right aspect ratio, fps sucks and the frame rate counter is small. But then again I wouldn't post screenshots saying they're at 1920 x 1200 when the pic is only 1280 x something. So why not post the pics in full resolution, thanks.

Again you are saying that the 2900XT doesnt render correctly and you didnt use the Hotfix drivers, so you really dont know what you are talking about. There are some rendering issues like a shadow missing or a random gleaming texture, but the majority of issues where resolved before the game was even released.

If you want Nvidia benchmarks go start a thread in the Nvidia section.

Pretty bogus. The first screenshot isn't even with the right aspect ratio. And the fraps fps counter is much larger on the first screenshot. I do believe the second shot was taken at 1920 x 1200, it has the right aspect ratio, fps sucks and the frame rate counter is small. But then again I wouldn't post screenshots saying they're at 1920 x 1200 when the pic is only 1280 x something. So why not post the pics in full resolution, thanks.

You are correct, the first screnshot is not the correct resolution(MY BAD). And I don't know how to post a picture with the correct screen resolution, don't think flickr allows it.

Wow yeah they are, not to mention if you shrink an image, aliasing would be improved.

And if you have actual screenshots of high resolution, use imageshack.us or some other free hosting place that doesn't resize images.

Use PNG as well if you can.

When I get the full game il post screenies, but atm I get between 30-60, it dont go above as I have Vsync on.

Btw settings are everything on DX10 enabled, 1900x1200 resolution, vista 32bit.

Though I will say I got 20 fps right in teh beggining with the fire, card drops alot around that fire :(

I'd appreciate if you didn't shit on my thread. I didn't ask for trolling, I don't care how bad your 2900xt was, if you don't have anything important and/or logical to say, than don't say it all. I'm happy that you're satisfied with your 8800gtx purchase It's a very good card, but there's no reason to bash the 2900xt when you obviously didn't do what was neccessary to enjoy the game as 2k/Ati intended. There' s a hotfix for a reason, that reason being correcting the problems you were having, and for some reason or another you don't seem to be able to grasp that concept. Please, don't post in my thread again, unless you have something insightful to say. Oh, and by the way I'll have a 2900xt within the next few weeks, and I'll be more than glad to post some screen shots. :D pz.

Now, Any other 2900xt care to share their experiences? Thank You much in advance. - Matt

My comments where actually very logical. I've even explained why the 2900 cards have the issues that they do have. SHRECK has posted some screenshots of the game. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, judge for yourself the imagine quality difference between the 2900 and the gf 8800. You do use an interesting choice of words, how ever please don't tell me what I can do or I cannot do. The least you can do is be polite. I was trying to keep folks from taking sides. But then again, since SHREK posted the screen shots, and yes, he has the patch installed, it's all clear now. I don't take side my friend because I do pay for my hardware with hard earned money. But I don't take it lightly when I spend $500 on a card and get a sub par gaming experience. Now you understand where I'm coming from? And yes, I was refering to the 1GB 2900 that costs $500...

Even I cannot deny, the difference is HUGE between the 8800 and the 2900, I am actually appauled by that tbh. ATI better pull out something good.

Kudos for your frankness. Find a 2900 true believer while there are still some left and sell him your card. This won't be the last nail in the coffin, I'm sure.

Even I cannot deny, the difference is HUGE between the 8800 and the 2900, I am actually appauled by that tbh. ATI better pull out something good.

I feel the same way. I have an HD2900XT 1GB and I am seriously considering selling it for a loss and picking up an 8800GTX until something better comes out.

I feel the same way. I have an HD2900XT 1GB and I am seriously considering selling it for a loss and picking up an 8800GTX until something better comes out.

The difference was wow big, I have 18 days to return my card for another, so I may just go and give the GTX a go. Before it seemed alot cheaper to just get this card, but the performance gap with that review is ridiculous.

Yeah according to Firingsquad, the 8800GTS 320MB is beating the HD 2900XT by 20% @ 1600x with no AA. Traditionally that's the HD's strong area, no AA. They are using the latest patch and appropriate drivers for the ATi card too.

If you don't want to spend money for a GTX just get a GTS 640MB and clock it to around 580-660 on the core. Of course if you have the cash for the GTX grab a regular one from a company that allows overclocking and do that. Get either Evga or XFX.

I am eager to see the Crysis numbers for these cards. Wonder when the miracle drivers are coming for the ATi card? They haven't shown up yet.

My comments where actually very logical. I've even explained why the 2900 cards have the issues that they do have. SHRECK has posted some screenshots of the game. Since a picture is worth a thousand words, judge for yourself the imagine quality difference between the 2900 and the gf 8800. You do use an interesting choice of words, how ever please don't tell me what I can do or I cannot do. The least you can do is be polite. I was trying to keep folks from taking sides. But then again, since SHREK posted the screen shots, and yes, he has the patch installed, it's all clear now. I don't take side my friend because I do pay for my hardware with hard earned money. But I don't take it lightly when I spend $500 on a card and get a sub par gaming experience. Now you understand where I'm coming from? And yes, I was refering to the 1GB 2900 that costs $500...

Thank you for the compliments on my vocabulary. Anyways, I see your point, but I didn't see you coming off as polite, so I didn't feel the need to. I just don't think it's fair for you to call the 2900xt bad, because of your sole experience. It's a turn off to the people who are thinking about purchasing it, and it's actually a pretty good card. I understand that you had issues, but they were indeed fixed. You're entitled to an opinion, if you think the 2900xt is a flop or a bad card that's great, but just don't shove it down others throats and hail the 8800gtx as the routine supreme gpu. Well know it's bested by the ultra. =) Again, I'm glad you're happy with your 8800gtx, I may end up with an 8800gtx for the sole reason that I can step-up to an 9800 come November. No hard feelings, just drop the hostility from your approach. Not everything is as black and white as card A is good, and card B is bad. <3 - Matt

Heres a screen shot to compare with Superkeijo's shot every things the same as his.
All settings "on" except vsync and dx10 textures (windows XP). 1280 x 1024:

bioshock.jpg

Not too sure why this card is getting so bad mouthed, It looked perfect in this game for me and ran smooth as silk.
Never tried it with out the hot fix though. This was taken with the fix.

Heres a screen shot to compare with Superkeijo's shot every things the same as his.
All settings "on" except vsync and dx10 textures (windows XP). 1280 x 1024:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q237/Jerm357/bioshock.jpg[/IMG
Not too sure why this card is getting so bad mouthed, It looked perfect in this game for me and ran smooth as silk.
Never tried it with out the hot fix though. This was taken with the fix.[/QUOTE]

You forgot to tell us what card this is on? :D But I assume a single HD2900XT 512MB? If so, then not bad fps at all. Are these with default clocks or overclocked? I was running my GTS with my edited bios (650/1000). If you were running with default clocks then very impressive indeed. The sad thing is, that ati allways seems to have to do hotfixes and driver tweaks for an individual game before getting descent performance. I know nvidia optimises it's drivers also for individual games and nothing wrong with that, but with ati it seems that it's almost unplayable before getting some kind of fix or tweak in the drivers.

Yes, I forgot to say Its a sapphire HD 2900XT 512mb card. And I did have ATi's Overdrive feature turned on as I do with all games.

Back