290/290x availability thread

Yea I bought my 7950 for $280 almost in 2012! I can't believe what they are selling for now.

Having trouble with yours,

Alt link

Having some trouble too...

Try this one

I just got two of these. Ive only been able to test/run 1, but it's a Hynix.
I got them for $385 each he he.

Mine were fresh from the factory floor. The bags they came in were all messed up, not taped and the box wasnt sealed in anyway.
The vendor id in gpuz just says, ATI, lol.

Be ware the 8 pin pcie cable they included might catch fire if you mine with it. I was even running underclocked and when I checked on it the wire was black and melted off. It was purely from the small guage wiring they use, not my wiring.

In other news, Ive been running 2x 290's from a Corsair CX430. Seen as high as 580W from the wall. :eek: 12v only.

In other news, Ive been running 2x 290's from a Corsair CX430. Seen as high as 580W from the wall. :eek: 12v only.

Wait...What?!? How does that bugger not burst into flames?!?

In other news, my Amazon status finally changed to "Shipping Now." WoO HoOO!

Wait...What?!? How does that bugger not burst into flames?!?

In other news, my Amazon status finally changed to "Shipping Now." WoO HoOO!

Only for a moment. I wasn't comfortable with 580W, and with one of my visionteks running with the crappy gauge 8 pin cable, i have it underclocked to 650 on the core; the other at ~850 core. It's pulling ~520W from the wall and it's been pretty solid.

(A tangent, my apologies.)

Ok, these are mostly theoretical questions-- not rhetorical.

How long would it take to manufacture enough 290/290X graphics cards to meet demand 100% or close to 100%?

Or, in other words, how long does it take to go from raw silicon and other semiconductor materials to wafer doping and etching to GPU assembly to PCB etching to soldering to final board assembly then to packaging and shipping for one card?

Then, scaled up, how long would it take to make enough to meet the demand of 100% of the customers out there?

At which point in the production chain is lagging behind on supply?

TSMC and the manufacturing of the GPU?

Manufacturers of memory ICs, VRM ICs, capacitors, resistors, and other PCB components of the graphics card?

If TSMC is holding back production of the graphics cards, what is causing the slowdown or lag behind production? (Theories allowed.)

And, lastly, if production lag is solved, when will the prices of the 290 and 290X return to their original MSRP of $399 and $499, respectively? In other words, when can we expect both supply and original prices return to normalcy?

The questions also apply to the R9 280X and R9 280, which are also in high demand compared to other R-series cards-- 270X/270, 260X/260, 250 and 240.

You're implying the crypto miners will ever be "100% satisfied".
They will snatch up cards and keep snatching until coin mining is no longer profitable.

1 card, 3 cards, 100 cards. As if they care how many they own, as long as the price is right!
AMD could have a magical unicorn shit GPU's and it would still cost $500 for a 290.

Prices will never come down. R9 300 series will launch later this year and skyrocket to the same prices over night.
If you're trying to build a rig for gaming, just forget AMD exists, unless you want to spend hours digging through Amazon sales to pay a meager $30-$50 over MSRP.

Well first they would have to meet demand at current levels. RIght now people are paying $100-200 over MSRP *and* waiting 2-6 weeks for their cards to come in. So first they have to have enough cards so people don't have to wait. Then maybe they could lower prices... but then demand would increase with the price drop and you are back to an availability issue again. Let's just face it, prices are going to stay what they are for a long while. And now that Nvidia sees what is happening don't be surprised if their cards start doing the same thing in the next couple of generations. Nobody is going to turn down a few hundred in extra profits... they won't care if it is at gamers expense.

You're implying the crypto miners will ever be "100% satisfied".
They will snatch up cards and keep snatching until coin mining is no longer profitable.

1 card, 3 cards, 100 cards. As if they care how many they own, as long as the price is right!
AMD could have a magical unicorn shit GPU's and it would still cost $500 for a 290.

Prices will never come down. R9 300 series will launch later this year and skyrocket to the same prices over night.
If you're trying to build a rig for gaming, just forget AMD exists, unless you want to spend hours digging through Amazon sales to pay a meager $30-$50 over MSRP.

So you're assuming that every miner has infinite money and electricity and that nothing else is going to change (*coin profitability, ASICs, nV hash rates, card availability, etc., etc., etc.). Sounds real plausible.

So you're assuming that every miner has infinite money and electricity and that nothing else is going to change (*coin profitability, ASICs, nV hash rates, card availability, etc., etc., etc.). Sounds real plausible.
I didn't say every miner, I said miners.
There will always be someone ready to snatch up every card at a decent price. Always.
Maybe not you, but... someone.

//
Apparently this is the Availability Thread and we're way off-topic now.

I didn't say every miner, I said miners.
There will always be someone ready to snatch up every card at a decent price. Always.
Maybe not you, but... someone.

//

False. If any of the factors that I listed in my post change, the desirability of R9 cards would change too. $400 would be a decent price for a 290 for a gamer, but if ASICs were available today that provide 1 Mh for 200 w (made up #s), that price would not be attractive for miners and demand would drop. If price-comparable nV cards were also hashrate-comparable, demand for R9s would drop. If TSMC miraculously produced nothing but R9 cards, they could probably satisfy immediate demand and prices would drop. "Miners" aren't a black hole that you pour video cards into without regard for any other factors.

I agree that we're off-topic though.

//

I agree that we're off-topic though.
When can we expect availability to return to normal to satisfy the demands of non-cryptocurrency miners then (aka PC gamers)?

When will production catch up and prices return to normal?

What's causing the delay in production?

(Realistic expectation.)

Yes, this is an availability thread, but when will they be available in sufficient quantities again?

When can we expect availability to return to normal to satisfy the demands of non-cryptocurrency miners then (aka PC gamers)?

When will production catch up and prices return to normal?

What's causing the delay in production?

(Realistic expectation.)

Yes, this is an availability thread, but when will they be available in sufficient quantities again?
End of 2014 at the earliest.
http://www.coindesk.com/alpha-technology-pre-orders-litecoin-asic-miners/
Even then, people are dumb. The new AMD cards could potentially be hoarded for mining anyway.

Assuming nothing else happens to destroy the value of LTC.
You've got maxwell + pirate islands by Q4, so you can forget about gaming on current AMD cards.

End of 2014 at the earliest.
http://www.coindesk.com/alpha-technology-pre-orders-litecoin-asic-miners/
Even then, people are dumb. The new AMD cards could potentially be hoarded for mining anyway.

You've got maxwell + pirate islands by Q4, so you can forget about gaming on current AMD cards.
Good god, may as well not buy AMD cards for gaming because if that ASIC miner is $2225 for the lowest model, miners will probably just get three R9 290X cards for nearly as much if going by current pricing. We'll be back to this mess waiting on stock of AMD cards all over again by the end of 2014.

And, waiting until end of 2014 would seem pointless because the new AMD cards will likely be available by then as well.

I was hoping maybe sometime before Q3 2014 I'd see an R9 290 (non-X) for less than $500, and in stock.

If someone is on the market for a new graphics card, AMD or Nvidia, if they know the card will pay for itself via mining, they're more likely to buy AMD. This will always be true as long as LTC's value is higher than the power cost of mining.
The people spending $20,000+ on mining farms won't be buying AMD cards anymore though.

Someone can probably whip out their calculator and use hash rate vs price to compare the ASIC miner to AMD R9's to see how much faster it is.

What do you mean by this?

What do you mean by this?
From what I can gather is this:

Nvidia's Maxwell is available soon, and if going by rumors, Pirate Islands (successor to the current gen R9 290 GPU) will supposedly be available by then as well if going by new GPU architecture per year.

If AMD is still the de facto card for mining given its costs and efficiency over a dedicated miner ASIC, probably best to avoid AMD video cards unless something happens to LTC that'll make the cards less desirable cost-wise; or ASIC mining for LTC actually comes to fruition-- both cheaply and efficiently.

mods have repeatedly cleaned this thread up. It is for 290 availability... take the mining talk to the DC forum.

i will continue to buy them anytime they come up at a reasonable price which is why I'm buying mainly 270/x cards currently.

You mining haters are just angry because you can't figure out how to mine or your power/situation won't allow and in that case you're just jealous as well.

Free money for tossing a computer together. no brainer of course I'm building more every chance I get.

mods have repeatedly cleaned this thread up. It is for 290 availability... take the mining talk to the DC forum.

i will continue to buy them anytime they come up at a reasonable price which is why I'm buying mainly 270/x cards currently.

You mining haters are just angry because you can't figure out how to mine or your power/situation won't allow and in that case you're just jealous as well.

Free money for tossing a computer together. no brainer of course I'm building more every chance I get.

I'm not jealous of miners, or anyone, however its posts like this, that make people hate mining(ers).

Back to the availability thread, I'm curious to know why the XFX cards keep getting pushed back on BLT...There must have been only a small initial run of the new DD cards...

I'm not jealous of miners, or anyone, however its posts like this, that make people hate mining(ers).

Back to the availability thread, I'm curious to know why the XFX cards keep getting pushed back on BLT...There must have been only a small initial run of the new DD cards...
I keep the Visiontek website link to their R9 290 bookmarked since it seems that one has availability regularly for some reason. I check each week now seeing that it was available off their website and Tigerdirect for the last two weeks or so.

to hell with being available i want to know why the enthusiast press isn't taking amd to the damn woodshed over their customers being raped at all retail outlets for their cards. this is nuts even the older cards are fucking gone up in price for new and used. i understand miners are going batshit for amd cards and they will til they realize that the exchanges they are using to cash out are not solvent at all

to hell with being available i want to know why the enthusiast press isn't taking amd to the damn woodshed over their customers being raped at all retail outlets for their cards even the older cards are fucking gone up in price for new and used...

Because its no ones fault.

"Customers being raped" LOL, how often does someone really NEED a new GPU? .1% of the time? And you are still welcome to buy nvidia cards.

I keep the Visiontek website link to their R9 290 bookmarked since it seems that one has availability regularly for some reason. I check each week now seeing that it was available off their website and Tigerdirect for the last two weeks or so.

That I have actually seen in stock, as much as I bashed XFX for the last gen of DD cards, it seems like worth a go (considering its nearly impossible to find a Tri-X under $600).

That I have actually seen in stock, as much as I bashed XFX for the last gen of DD cards, it seems like worth a go (considering its nearly impossible to find a Tri-X under $600).
I could technically afford the Visiontek R9 290 at $499 given I have money saved. I've been debating between that or just go for an R9 270X and Crossfire it in the future. And, pocket the spare $200-plus for something else.

That's why I asked in the last post-- when can we expect production to catch up to demand and hopefully prices drop back to normal again. If it's going to take until end of 2014 for that happen, I may as well jump on the R9 290 from Visiontek when it's in stock again, or go for the R9 270X.

Hopefully your order won't get cancelled like mine did for the Gigabyte card...

Hopefully your order won't get cancelled like mine did for the Gigabyte card...

That's what happened to mine, albeit the Asus reference card. My preorder was switched to the DirectCU, spot stayed the same in line. I'm getting annoyed now, though. It's been over a month now. Not to mention, I have a reference 290 now, so it's going to look stupid...

Edit: My preorder was pushed back again, from the 14th, to the 28th.

Last edited:
OMG, this thread reminds me of the gun panic last year when it was hard to find ammo, magazines and guns in general. We had similar threads on gun forums, lol.

Availability of chips is based on manufacturing time contracted for from the manufacturing facility. Time is ordered months in advance. AMD does NOT have its own manufacturing capability. The demand of these has far outpaced the demand that was thought to be adequate. They can't just make more chips at will. They also have to fulfill worldwide orders. The reference cards were all made in the same location. Next issue then is getting chips to the different partners for their custom made cards. Now you can have another learning curve as we have seen with XFX Windforce manufacturing problem. Again all of these partners supply the world, not just the US market. When there are problems cards are allotted to the different areas. Add to that the rise of mining and the reality of supply and demand take hold.

If you had a car you put on Craigslist and 2 buyers showed up at the same time and began to offer you more than you listed it for would you accept the highest offer or not? Principally this is what is occurring. If Newegg ordered cards from AMD, has paid for them and taken possession. The cards are the property of Newegg. They can charge what ever they like. They can give them away if they choose. Like it or not every company is in business to make a profit, windfall or otherwise. THAT IS THEIR RIGHT. They are taking the risk for their company that they can sell a product at a profit. Some things they sell they end up taking a loss because the market was not there at the price anticipated.

I happened to be on the right side this time and got a R9 290 card early on for $399. later I decided to get another one. Prices had jumped. The best I could do was R9 290X for $580 and wait a month(still waiting). The next day I decided to get another one. I don't want 290X cards but that was what was available at the best price. There were R9 290's but they were more expensive. So it is not like I have not been affected but the issue. Right now I am still using the 5870 xfire setup. I am waiting to see if I can get another R9 290. If I can I will get rid of the R9 290X cards. I would prefer R9 290's in Crossfire over R9 290X's in Crossfire.

I can not change the market. It is what it is. AMD can not change the market, The best we can do is work around the market.

Availability of chips is based on manufacturing time contracted for from the manufacturing facility. Time is ordered months in advance. AMD does NOT have its own manufacturing capability. The demand of these has far outpaced the demand that was thought to be adequate. They can't just make more chips at will. They also have to fulfill worldwide orders. The reference cards were all made in the same location. Next issue then is getting chips to the different partners for their custom made cards. Now you can have another learning curve as we have seen with XFX Windforce manufacturing problem. Again all of these partners supply the world, not just the US market. When there are problems cards are allotted to the different areas. Add to that the rise of mining and the reality of supply and demand take hold.

If you had a car you put on Craigslist and 2 buyers showed up at the same time and began to offer you more than you listed it for would you accept the highest offer or not? Principally this is what is occurring. If Newegg ordered cards from AMD, has paid for them and taken possession. The cards are the property of Newegg. They can charge what ever they like. They can give them away if they choose. Like it or not every company is in business to make a profit, windfall or otherwise. THAT IS THEIR RIGHT. They are taking the risk for their company that they can sell a product at a profit. Some things they sell they end up taking a loss because the market was not there at the price anticipated.

I happened to be on the right side this time and got a R9 290 card early on for $399. later I decided to get another one. Prices had jumped. The best I could do was R9 290X for $580 and wait a month(still waiting). The next day I decided to get another one. I don't want 290X cards but that was what was available at the best price. There were R9 290's but they were more expensive. So it is not like I have not been affected but the issue. Right now I am still using the 5870 xfire setup. I am waiting to see if I can get another R9 290. If I can I will get rid of the R9 290X cards. I would prefer R9 290's in Crossfire over R9 290X's in Crossfire.

I can not change the market. It is what it is. AMD can not change the market, The best we can do is work around the market.

This was actually Gigabyte, not XFX....

OMG, this thread reminds me of the gun panic last year when it was hard to find ammo, magazines and guns in general. We had similar threads on gun forums, lol.

Somewhat off topic and somewhat not I suppose, but ammo is *still* in short supply, at least here in GA it is. Adventure Outdoors is one of the largest gun retailers around, talking about tens of thousands of guns in stock and millions of rounds of ammo... they don't even have a single box of .22 long rifle in stock. Or at least they didn't as of a few days ago. At my local Walmart people wait around when the delivery truck comes in, buy everything they get for stock, then sell it for a profit in their parking lot. If the video card situation is anything like the ammo situation, we are in trouble.

Going to try my luck with MSI 290 Gaming. There are plenty of them available here, going to get one for 429 €. I am going to get 440 € from my current one. Windforce never again...

Ordered three Tri-X r9 290 from provantage almost a month ago. They stated shipment around Feb. 7th. Called yesterday and they said they'd get back to me within an hour via e-mail. No e-mail...Check today and orders are canceled. Called them up, they never got any of the cards and their supplier discontinued the item. Words can not describe how angry I am right now. Considering I could of ordered xfx r9 290 DD's yesterday but passed since I had the tri-x's ordered.

Back in now to find myself some r9 290's -_-....Damn this blows..

Back