28" Viewsonic LCD @ Newegg 649.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
God damn. I just spent $1400 on a 32in TV. I wish this would have been around last month :(

What technology is this? Is this a TN panel, as the price would indicate?

This is a 1900X1200 monitor, for those who didn't click the link. Great price, IMO.
Perfect for those who think a 37 is too big (i'm not in this group).

This is $629.99 + tax at Compusa after $50 MIR. They're offering free shipping atm, but I think today is the last day for the sale. If you have a local store you might be able to check out a display model, plus you have the option of a return/exchange without restocking fee and shipping charges.

Link

response time... 3ms... thats hot :D .. but g'damn I already bought my Hanns-G 22" widescreen...

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. I never wanted to get one of those Dell ones. Finally we have the perfect gaming LCD. It is even viewsonic. Looking forward to retiring my CRT now.

besides the 800:1 contrast ratio, no dvi, and the fact you can adjust the stand it looks really nice. I wish i could see one in person somewhere.

800:1 contrast ratio + crappy TN viewing angles kinda ruin the deal for me, but YMMV.

Read my post above.
I understand that but it still doesn't have dvi, If I had my pc and ps3 hooked up to this thing i would have to swap cables over every time. If it had dual hdmi ports or 1 dvi and 1 hdmi it would be fine but it doesn't.

I understand that but it still doesn't have dvi, If I had my pc and ps3 hooked up to this thing i would have to swap cables over every time. If it had dual hdmi ports or 1 dvi and 1 hdmi it would be fine but it doesn't.

I dont know of any monitor with 2 digital inputs (there may be one but its very rare then), your complaint is actually helping the monitor, you don't you need to buy a hdmi to dvi cable to hook up a ps3 since it already has an hdmi connection, and since it comes with a hdmi to dvi cable your all set for pc's. If nothing else the hdmi is a bonus not a drawback.

I dont know of any monitor with 2 digital inputs (there may be one but its very rare then), your complaint is actually helping the monitor, you don't you need to buy a hdmi to dvi cable to hook up a ps3 since it already has an hdmi connection, and since it comes with a hdmi to dvi cable your all set for pc's. If nothing else the hdmi is a bonus not a drawback.

If this monitor had 2 DVI for input, we can use 1 for monitor and 1 for PS3 through HDMI to DVI, hdmi is only a bonus when u don't have to swap cables everytime u play something different.

You could always go this route: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011001&p_id=2786&seq=1&format=2&style= 2X1 Manual HDMI Switch for $18 + shipping. Not as clean as having two HDMI ports or one HDMI and one DVI but the price isn't bad.

This deal is VERY tempting!!

If this monitor had 2 DVI for input, we can use 1 for monitor and 1 for PS3 through HDMI to DVI, hdmi is only a bonus when u don't have to swap cables everytime u play something different.

Your missing the point, what monitor has 2 dvi inputs? Complaining that this monitor doesn't have 2 of them is just stupid when most if not all other monitors only have 1 dvi input also.

Your missing the point, what monitor has 2 dvi inputs? Complaining that this monitor doesn't have 2 of them is just stupid when most if not all other monitors only have 1 dvi input also.

the westinghouse 37w3 has 3 digital inputs, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. When i had it I used all 3 inputs thats why I am complaining and thats why i would not buy this.

the westinghouse 37w3 has 3 digital inputs, 2 dvi and 1 hdmi. When i had it I used all 3 inputs thats why I am complaining and thats why i would not buy this.

You're comparing a pc monitor to a tv monitor. They are in two different categories. While they do share some of the same inputs, they are not meant to be interchangeable by design. A tv monitor is designed to be larger and have many inputs, with larger pixel size because you sit far away from the screen and won't notice the pixels. While pc monitors are designed to be smaller and have very small pixels in comparison because you are closer to the screen and there isn't the need for so many inputs. You need to stop trying to find faults where there aren't any. You are comparing apples to oranges. Tv lcd monitors and pc lcd monitors are designed to fill different roles.

You just made my day i was in the market for a new monitor from my 22" viewsonic.. Now this 28 viewsonic just made me Hype'd..

Im still trying to convince myself not to buy :p

Im getting $672.48 ? Who said anything about free shipping ?

Yikes...I paid $600 for my 24" maybe 6 months ago. I'd take an extra 4" for only $50.

My westy37 has two digital inputs. Actually, it has 3.

2 DVI + 1 HDMI

It's also 1920 x 1080 (not 1200, so it's 16:9 not 16:10 )
It's also 37"

I can show you about 50 different monitors with dual digital inputs.

Oops.. just noticed DrewRosenHouse's post.

You're comparing a pc monitor to a tv monitor.
So, according to you....Which one is the PC monitor and which one is the TV monitor?

neither of them has a coax jack
neither of them has a TV tuner.
The Westy has a better contrast ratio, but probably a slower G2G time.

The Viewsonic isn't a TV
Neither is the Westy.

You'll notice, that on the Westy it says
37" 1080p MONITOR

it also says "External tuner required for TV Viewing"
The viewsonic would need an external tuner for TV viewing too.

SO..

VS = 1 Digital input (HDMI), 1 YPrPb Input, 1 PC-Vga Analog input, 1 Svideo input. 1920x1200, 800:1, 3Ms G2G, 5ms response time 28", $669
Westy = 2 Digital inputs (DVI), 1 Digital input (HDMI), 2 YPrPb Inputs, 1 PC Vga Input, 1 Svideo input, 1920x1080 (which is a real 16:9 resolution) 1000:1, 8ms response time (unknown G2G time) 37", $799

More inputs, more real estate, more contrast, less response time (go look at a 16ms response time screen then tell me how important 8ms vs 5ms is) and $130 more price.
With my Westy, I can plug in 3 computers (dvi, dvi, vga), a HD STB (hdmi), and 2 consoles (YPrPb x 2) and a DVD/VCR (Svideo) = 7 devices

With the VS, you could plug in A computer either digitally or analog, 1 Console, 1 DVD player, & One HD STB (on hdmi if you plugged the pc in via VGA, which would suck) , 4 Devices, and that'd only be if you are willing to accept your computer being plugged in @ 1920x1200 over VGA, if not.. you'd be at 3 devices, oh.. and 9" smaller, too.

Oh, and before you try to say I don't know what a "good" monitor looks like.. Just direct your eyes to my sig.

While pc monitors are designed to be smaller and have very small pixels in comparison because you are closer to the screen and there isn't the need for so many inputs.

I would think that if you had two LCD's, one with a tuner, and one without a tuner (i.e. a TV and a Monitor) and they were both, say.. 30", and they both had the same screen resolution (1920x1200, for example) then the pixel sizes would be the same, no?

square Area / # of pixels = pixel size?

Or, do a 24" 1920x1080 screen and a 37" 1920x1080 screen have the same exact pixel size?

Does a 42" 1920x1080 westy have the same size pixels as a 37" 1920x1080 westy?

There is a trade off as you increase LCD size. Either you increase resolution, or you loose crispness. that's why the 30" dell @ 2560x1600 has such a sharp picture. It needs smaller pixels to do in 30" what other screens do in larger sizes.

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_y...hNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=37w3+monitor&did=

the 37w3 is consider as a LCD Monitor and a HDTV and it is almost within the same price range too, and is highly competative with traditional LCD monitors, not complaining about a problem is even more stupid too :rolleyes:

http://shopping.yahoo.com/search;_y...hNjRqazhxBHNlYwNzZWFyY2g-?p=37w3+monitor&did=

the 37w3 is consider as a LCD Monitor and a HDTV and it is almost within the same price range too, and is highly competative with traditional LCD monitors, not complaining about a problem is even more stupid too :rolleyes:

The 37w3 is not technically considered an HDTV. It is a monitor that is capable of display an HDTV signal (just as the viewsonic is...) if connected to an HD tuner box or other device which does the work.
If it were an HDTV, then it would be on westinghouse's site under TELEVISIONs, instead of where it is located.. MONITORS

My 17" CRT can play a TV signal too.. that doesn't make it a TV, nor does it make my samsung 21.3T which can accept tv feeds from a tuner box a TV (there are STBs that have DVI Out)

19" LCD with dual dvi inputs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176072

24" LCD with dual dvi inputs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176059

30" LCD (2560x1600, btw..) with -3- DVI inputs
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824176071

Should I show munkle a few more of them? These must all be televisions, right munkle?

Oh, and the reason some of those screens are so expensive (19" and 24") is because you are paying the price premium for Pivoting / & ROTATING functionality... ergh. I've never seen tv in portrait mode, have you?

What exactly is the debate here? An LCD is an LCD. Drew has a right to complain about the lack of more than one digital input if that is what he would prefer while shopping. Yes, computer monitors exist with more than one digital input. And yes, the Westinghouse 37" is classified as a general monitor because it lacks a tuner or TV-specific inputs. It is very capable as an HDTV and PC monitor when hooked up to good equipment. The majority of people would consider an LCD such as the Westinghouse to be closer to a TV due to its HTDV resolution of 1920x1080, which is not a standard PC monitor resolution but IS a standard HDTV resolution.

munkle isn't trying to prove that all dual-digital input displays are TVs, he's just saying that you can't fault the Viewsonic 28" for only having one digital input when the majority of PC monitors on the market only have one DVI or HDMI port as well. Couple that with the fact that it is clearly a budget model with a TN panel, and therefore advanced features cannot be expected in such a package. Just because your 37" screen is better it doesn't mean that we should expect multiple digital inputs in budget LCDs.

Now that the thread has been completely derailed by Westinghouse, can we please return to the discussion of the deal in question?

with the minus of dvi, which it does have a hdmi to dvi converter, is this a good buy ???

with the minus of dvi, which it does have a hdmi to dvi converter, is this a good buy ???

This is probably the most "Bang for the Buck" deal I've ever seen on a big LCD monitor. Dell wants over $1000 for a 27" monitor with the same resolution. Is this a better monitor then the Dell? No. Is this a better deal? Hell yes!! :D

With the most recent review on Newegg about the screen "staying blue when in power saver mode and not turning off", I will hold out on this deal.

WOW, I know what my next purchase will be! One question though, that stand looks like garbage, and it doesn't look like you can attatch a different one. does anyone see a way to attatch a different stand? or even something for a wall mount?

Westy = 2 Digital inputs (DVI), 1 Digital input (HDMI), 2 YPrPb Inputs, 1 PC Vga Input, 1 Svideo input, 1920x1080 (which is a real 16:9 resolution) 1000:1, 8ms response time (unknown G2G time) 37", $799

uh, I'm not seeing this price for the 37W3 anywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back