2684 WTF

newbs

Gawd
So how are you guys keeping your ppd up with these stupid units? They take many of my machines down to just shy of 3000 ppd and it has me wondering if I should drop bigadv?

if it knocks you down to 3k that means you can't meet the deadlines on 2684... what are your machine specs?

The cry is well known and old about bad point units... but stanford only listens to gpu whiners... so man up and build bigger beasts... 57:36 is the tpf cliff for 2684 ... 1 second longer per frame and no bonus...

Last edited:
bigadv designed for 8 cores and greater not 8 threads and greater...

you need to be at least be >3.8ghz to make the 2684 deadlines....

Whats your tpf? 57:36 is the tpf cliff for that unit...

no idea what my tpf is but I guess I will have to make sure everything is overclocked past 3.8. I need to get my sr2's built. I've been running bigadv for months cranking out tons of points until these 2684's and I am fine until I get those. Wish there was a way to avoid those ones.

~3.5 GHz should do it...barely. 3K is way too low, though. Something else is amiss with whatever machine you have with a 2684 pulling 3K ppd.

Any ideas on what could be causing it? I guess I just need some more spare time to get everything water-cooled so I overclock more. Is bigadv working with Linux if so maybe I should convert a few machines to that. Just want to increase my ppd to at least what it was.

It just means you aren't making the deadlines so they don't give you any bonus points. You need to run linux or a VM, clock the computers higher, and/or switch to SMP. Also get your SR2 built right now. As far as water cooling you can get tons of cheap air coolers that will do the job. You can get loud coolers like the Frio or if you really like high end cooling you can get bigger quiet units like the Nocuta DH-14.

Folding1 has a Bloomfield running at 3.46ghz and manages to squeak under the deadline with a TPF of 51-52minutes. A 2684 will take around 3.7 days to complete at that clock speed. Most of us hate those things, but science still needs to be done even if it doesn't have the payout of other work units.

Back