2600x or 1700x

lightsout

[H]ard|Gawd
If both at very similar price? I am leaning towards 2600x for better OC and ram compatibilty (running with 3200c14)

Usage is BF1, BO4, and studying.

2600X for sure. Mine runs at 4250mhz all the time in games with no OC. Makes a nice improvement in frames over the 1xxx series.

For gaming 2600x. The extra cores and threads of 1700 matter for productivity work but its clock speed is holding it back for gaming.

Thanks guys, here's the thing, I am looking to trade out my 2600(non x). It clocks OK but I like the idea of PB2 with the X version. It will probably cost me $40-50 in the end, but resale value will be better.
I think its really just to have something to mess with cause I have a little cash.

If you can get your 2600 to 4.2ghz then there is no point in switching to 2600x. The PB2 is better in some things only and frankly its a waste of time to make a switch. Its a side step no matter how you look at it. Wait until Zen 2 gets released next year, it should work with your current mobo if your mobo manufacturer updates the BIOS for it.

If you can get your 2600 to 4.2ghz then there is no point in switching to 2600x. The PB2 is better in some things only and frankly its a waste of time to make a switch. Its a side step no matter how you look at it. Wait until Zen 2 gets released next year, it should work with your current mobo if your mobo manufacturer updates the BIOS for it.
My chip struggles to hit 4ghz under 1.4v. I actually thought it was stable there but getting lock ups in BfV. Was still in the return window so in the end I am out $25. Couldn't pas it up.

Oh so you got really a really shitty silicon. But even at 4ghz its not a bad cpu. Wait for Zen 2 first.

I don't think it's worth swapping out. I understand the "resale" argument, but it won't be $40-50 difference in resale value.

My 2600 runs with cheap ass Cas 16 DDR4 3000 memory at rated timings/speeds. You shouldn't have issues running B-die stuff with any Ryzen CPU. I wouldn't upgrade just for memory compatibility.

I don't think it's worth swapping out. I understand the "resale" argument, but it won't be $40-50 difference in resale value.

My 2600 runs with cheap ass Cas 16 DDR4 3000 memory at rated timings/speeds. You shouldn't have issues running B-die stuff with any Ryzen CPU. I wouldn't upgrade just for memory compatibility.
It's really just something new to play with at this point, and basically all the X chips seem to do 4.2 with PB2.

For $25 I figure why not.

The only thing that really matters is whether the result is worth it to you in the end. Here's hoping you get good silicon!

I'm guessing better case/ambient temps or silicon lottery/lower VID allowing for a better sustained boost clock.

How? Mine is 4.09 and under for the most part.

Probably cooling, and mine is on an X370 board so it doesn't follow PB2 boost steps. VRM temp also plays a big part in clock speed on these chips, I don't know what board you're using but the Gigabyte X370 Gaming K7 I have has a very stout VRM.

I went ahead and grabbed a 2600x for $179. Sweet deal, $25 to sidegrade from non-x. Hopefully pb2 hits 4.2ghz, the non- x only hits 3.7ghz in pb2.

My chip struggles to hit 4ghz under 1.4v. I actually thought it was stable there but getting lock ups in BfV. Was still in the return window so in the end I am out $25. Couldn't pas it up.

Really?

Wow, then that 25 bucks was WELL spent!

Enjoy

4250 is your OC.

No overclock, haven't bothered. Its all on auto. Maybe its the XMP profile forcing it? I dunno, I never tried to get anything else out of it. Threw it in the board and booted up.

PS5 will have an 8 core Ryzen. It’s likely the next Microsoft console will as well.

8 core games will be developed for console and ported over to PC. For future proofing if this was a one time purchase I would have taken the 1700 in that knowledge. But since you have the AM4 platform and it works for any AMD CPU for the next year or two you are good with the faster, lesser core count proc you chose and can update later to 8 core when/if needed.

PS5 will have an 8 core Ryzen. It’s likely the next Microsoft console will as well.

8 core games will be developed for console and ported over to PC. For future proofing if this was a one time purchase I would have taken the 1700 in that knowledge. But since you have the AM4 platform and it works for any AMD CPU for the next year or two you are good with the faster, lesser core count proc you chose and can update later to 8 core when/if needed.
Yeah that's a good point. I don't hold on to stuff for supper long so shouldn't be an issue.

No overclock, haven't bothered. Its all on auto. Maybe its the XMP profile forcing it? I dunno, I never tried to get anything else out of it. Threw it in the board and booted up.

That's your precision boost overclocking the chip. Its overclocked. Manual overclock of ryzen + chips actually performs less overall than using precision boost feature.

Lol, PS4 and Xbox One both already have 8 core CPUs :)

Back