26" LCD Monitor vs 32" LCD TV... hlep again...

KeymaN

Gawd
god i know i picked the NEC 2690 not long ago but i havent purchase... but here comes the problem... my gf is saying that y paying like 1.3k for a 26" LCD monitor instead of 32" LCD TV... ( i m not saying she is complaining but she is asking y ) and i dunno what to say to her beside it is a good monitor that will be good for photo editing and color management... tho she is a designer i suppose she liked the monitor too but the thing is that it is in my house and in my room and that she dont get to use it often... and usually when she is over she most likely to use it for some GT5P ( lol ) and watching movies and such... can anyone help me or suggest me some things to convince her to like the 2690 more? or i should just try using a 32" LCD TV to do my work? ( the main reasons y we arent moving in together is becuz of our parents... they are more like the traditional parents... u know u are not married yet y bother living together so soon... hahah... otherwise i believe we wont have this problem... ) and let say if i have to use a 32" LCD TV which one would i want? Sony XBR? Sharp GP? Hitachi? i dunno... but personally i like the 2690 cuz itz better for photo editing... and it support 1080P where i can play or watch 1080P stuff ( i still cant say it would be as good as 1080P LCD TV cuz i still dont have a chance to compare them side by side... ) ... but on the other hand... i want to make her happy too or at least make her understanding y i m getting this... thx @.@

I believe TVs are not suitable to be watched at a close distance. Also the size is not everything, I believe you girlfriend is not the largest, is not the fattest, has not the largest breasts in the world, still you love her and not another :)
You can tell her, that 2690 has H-IPS panle with a polarizer, can be calibrated, can achieve the low brightness which most TVs can not (and it is good for work in a dark enviroment).
Do you want any more arguments? :)

Take a serious look at the Panasonic TC-32LZ800. Alpha-IPS panel. LCDs don't get any better.

hahah thx Biges
well we are not like arguing or anything but she wanted to know why
and when i was saying those terms and she doesnt really know all of them and kinda say that y am i not getting a 32" LCD TV instead lol well my best guess is that she enjoy watching movies and watching tv series on a bigger display, and i guess for gaming she is ok with that... hahah
but i do need a little more support on the 2690 XD needa brain wash her a little more i guess lol

and chameleoneel that sounds like a really nice TV but atm i m in germany ( i live in canada ) right now so i dont have a chance to check it out... do u personally use that TV? any pic? thx for the info tho!

KeymaN

Eeee... well, every relationship is unique, but you spend your money, you are entitled to buy whatever screen do you want. And I don't think it is a good idea to mix PC monitor with TV screen. It may happen that when you want to work, you gf comes that she wnats to watch a movie. Maybe. :)

hah! enough said that then!
my money! my way!
2690 is the way to go! lol
save money for OLED in the future! ( about time to start saving til i have enough money to get it and when it start becoming popular... lol it will take some yrs for both reach at the mutant point... the money to buy and the time when it become popular lol )
or simply say i will get a LCD TV in the future ( yes... in the future no specfic time stated LOL )
but i never said that i dont like the 32" LCD TV
they are very attractive but i think i will get something that i can work with first... unless someone can give me a real good feedback with that panasonic TV mentioned above with the alpha IPS... then maybe i can consider that lol

hahah what a pain in the ass eh? lol

Cheers!

KeymaN

Always keep in mind in regards to TVs:

1) They are not made to show computer images. They are made to show video images
2) No TV I know has updatable color tables built in to allow for perfect, repeated calibration to various gamma curves and white points for people doing both professional photography, design, and pre-press work
3) Larger panels are made to watch from higher distances and can lead to neck strain when viewed too closely, and those that are PVA based also have issues related to up-close color shifts horizontally.
4) Most TVs cannot display digital images with as little banding as a high quality monitor.
5) Even IPS based Panasonic TVs have their flaws like inability to calibrate color internally via OSD "menu" controls, which is a major oversight.

I could go on an on. I used a 37" as a monitor for eight months. Nothing beats the immersion factor of a big panel on your desk, but the NEC has SO many high-end features that TVs will lack, like auto-brightness which will gauge ambient light and adjust the monitor accordingly, and auto luminance which allows you to adjust the monitor to a specific brightness level for both photography and pre-press work.

There is a reason these monitors are considered the best of the high-end consumer level screens, often compared to, and exceeding higher priced, supposedly "pro-sumer" TV and competitive products.

From personal experience I have not had one single issue with my LCD2690WUXI-BK. The first one I had displayed some panel problems and I received a return from NEC in two business days that was perfect, no questions asked. Their customer service is worth its weight in gold, and I received a brand new monitor.

Sorry for the excessive "sales pitch" but trust me, after having used a 37" IPS TV, I can honestly say the NEC is one of the best monitors I've ever seen in a number of ways.

hah! enough said that then!
my money! my way!
2690 is the way to go! lol
save money for OLED in the future! ( about time to start saving til i have enough money to get it and when it start becoming popular... lol it will take some yrs for both reach at the mutant point... the money to buy and the time when it become popular lol )
or simply say i will get a LCD TV in the future ( yes... in the future no specfic time stated LOL )
but i never said that i dont like the 32" LCD TV
they are very attractive but i think i will get something that i can work with first... unless someone can give me a real good feedback with that panasonic TV mentioned above with the alpha IPS... then maybe i can consider that lol

hahah what a pain in the ass eh? lol

Cheers!

KeymaN

ya thx a lot 10e but i still like the 2690 more XD
but i wanna know something after reading some thread about 16:10 (1920x1200) and 16:9 (1920x1080) on monitor i know i asked this b4 but i dunno if the 2690 will do 16:9 or it will scretch it to 16:10? cuz i heard from u that some monitor does that so i just wanna make sure everything...

i was in a situation like you, here my break down

i play game most of the time= hdtv win
watching blu ray movies= hdtv win
reading forums surfing net= pc montior win
sitting on my sofa playing AOC, COD4, TF2 on my wireless keyboard and mouse= hdtv win
i dont do photo editing so i pick 37lz800 panny

32" 1080p for gaming and standard PC usage
quality true monitor for any type of professional work on a PC.

the gaming on my 32" is amazing. completely immersive. web browsing is OK. i wouldnt do any imaging or video work on it if it were my job tho. dpi is too low and color will never be as good as a quality LCD monitor in the same price range.

I use a 32" Samsung LCD TV for gaming and I love it, but its really no use for work. I mean, it can be done, but its just not worth it. Years ago I used to run a 27" CRT TV just as a PC monitor. Man did that thing look huge at the time (in fact, it was bigger than my current 22" widescreen, lol). But trying to use Photoshop, or worse, trying to program: it just sucked. But boy was the size impressive. I'd say get the 26" monitor for now and start saving for a 42" or bigger TV. No point in getting a 32" these days.

The only thing the NEC doesn't do right is interlaced resolutions.

The only TV that I consider (as close to) perfect as a TV can get for PC use would be one from Panasonic or LG because they use IPS panels that don't shift colors up close. the Toshibas and Samsungs aren't bad, but you will have to sit a bit further because they use PVA panels.

ya thx a lot 10e but i still like the 2690 more XD
but i wanna know something after reading some thread about 16:10 (1920x1200) and 16:9 (1920x1080) on monitor i know i asked this b4 but i dunno if the 2690 will do 16:9 or it will scretch it to 16:10? cuz i heard from u that some monitor does that so i just wanna make sure everything...

Back