2560 x 1440 without input lag?

XTF

Gawd
I'm looking for a new monitor. I'll be using it for software development, games and internet. The Dell U2711 looks nice, except for the input lag. Are there 2560 x 1440 monitors without (significant) input lag? Dell recently proved with a 23" monitor that they can make one without input lag. Any chance of seeing a U2711 successor without input lag?

The U2711 lags because it has a dual-link scaler, and every monitor with a dual-link scaler seems to lag at least one frame, so you'll need to find a monitor without a scaler.

I think the newly-released HP ZR2740w doesn't have a scaler, so it shouldn't lag: http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en/sm/WF05a/382087-382087-64283-72270-3884471-5163694.html

The 27" Apple also doesn't have a scaler, but it requires mini-DisplayPort, and you'd need a special program just to control the brightness. There's also a newer version that requires Thunderbolt, which won't work with mini-DisplayPort.

There's also the Hazro HZ27WB and HZ27WC, but those seem to be hard to get outside of Europe.

Those are the ones I know about.

I hated the AG coating on the U2711, but if there was any input lag, it was non noticeable. That monitor was fast enough for Super Meat Boy which means it can be used for any type of gaming.

I have an Apple 27" and I would highly recommend if you can stomach the lack of connectivity. It's just a beautiful display, and very responsive.

ZR2740w? Or another ZR27?

There's only one ZR2740W. Some see two models, but that's because one is a "Smartbuy" model and the other is regular retail.

Same screen, same everything, Smartbuy is always in "promo" mode and cheaper.

S27A850D

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1611059

Backlight bleed issues (Samsung) vs anti-glare coating (HP)

Not all SA850's have backlight bleed.

sa850_1.jpg

Thats still fairly bright. But darker than most. The SA850 is still a great monitor.

The 27" ACD is about as good as you are going to get for close to zero input lag in that size display.

i got a zr30w and so far have not noticed any input lag id imagine the zr27 is similar. I consider my self pretty sensitive to input lag.

The 27" ACD is about as good as you are going to get for close to zero input lag in that size display.

ZR2740w should be the same in terms of input lag as neither monitor has a scaler or OSD.

ZR2740w should be the same in terms of input lag as neither monitor has a scaler or OSD.
Those aren't the only sources of lag. The HP has an input lag of about 10 ms IIRC. Some recent Dell monitor has about 1 ms.

Those aren't the only sources of lag. The HP has an input lag of about 10 ms IIRC. Some recent Dell monitor has about 1 ms.

Very few review sites have the equipment necessary to measure input lag with enough precision for an accurate millisecond value. It is highly likely that both monitors have the same amount of input lag.

TFTCentral has wisely started referring to anything below 16.7ms as having "less than one frame of input lag".

Any monitor with advanced scaling options or internal colour processing will have 2-3 frames of lag.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/content/hp_zr2740w.htm#input_lag

Some websites take this whole area one step further and even use an oscilloscope and photosensor to measure the input lag of a display. This is of course an even more precise measurement and can help you show the true image lag along with the typical response times of a pixel transition. This is then used to give you both the overall experienced 'lag' of the image and the lag specifically between the electronics and the pixel change instruction (the pure signal processing time). We do not have access to such a method at this time and of course it would not come cheap.

We are investigating alternative means to measure input lag in the future for our reviews in an effort to help provide even more accurate results. We did not want to completely remove this section since I know it is useful to many readers and it would be missed. While it might have varying degrees of accuracy, I will say that this method has been used for many years by many sources and although there is likely a varying degree of error introduced in this method, it can still allow you to give a reasonable comparison between displays.

The HP's lag is only response time lag, not electronics lag. It has no scaler and no image buffering.

Same with the U2412M and U2312HM from Dell. All low lag but not zero.

The S27A850D should be low as well, but Samsung is still improving their production of PLS <*cough*> IPS panels.

I have the U2711, and my roommate just got the HP ZR2740w. He didn't get his new system with it yet, so I got to borrow his brand new monitor so I could compare it with mine.

Picture Quality - I'm far from an expert with colour or picture quality, but to me the U2711 wins this hands down, it looked much nicer to me. Perhaps it's because the U2711 is factory calibrated. I don't believe the HP is.

AG coating - I found the HP to be more noticeable. Maybe it's a batch to batch thing, but again the Dell looks better to me. In a bright room, both work great though, and I think I would still prefer this to glossy.

Input lag - HP is better. It's definitely not perfect; I still find noticeable input lag (I think I'm quite sensitive), but enough of an improvement, that I am considering getting one for this reason alone. It just makes FPS games more enjoyable. I wish I knew if another 2560x1440 monitor was coming out soon though. Buying a monitor this expensive just for a few ms of input lag reduction and having slightly worse IQ than my current monitor doesn't seem like the smartest decision, but input lag really has a large effect on my enjoyment of FPS games...

All the above is of course subjective, I used nothing but my own body parts to come to these conclusions, but I figure my 2c may help your decision.

Cheers

Oh, in that case I will gladly go and roll the dice on a NINE HUNDRED DOLLAR MONITOR because of Samsung's ineptitude.

Not.

Not sure what you mean, exactly.

A number of us have posted high satisfaction with this monitor.

All monitor purchases involve rolling the dice, initially. One poster even went through four NEC PA241W-BK's without success. If you're not prepared to take the chance of an exchange or two, then you should refrain from buying a new monitor.

Back