2500k golden chip?

ssnyder28

2[H]4U
Hi I've heard in the past about so-called 2500k golden chips that can get to 5.0 ghz or higher without voltage adjustment. Well I have a 2500k that does 5.1ghz with no voltage adjustment and I'm only using the stock intel cooler. I'd assume with better cooling and some voltage tweeks that this chip could push quite a bit more. How much are these chips worth? Or is this much easier to attain now? Here is my cpu-z pic:

Untitled_zps33c17b1d.jpg

How stable? Cpu-z shot is not anywhere near stable.;):D Stock cooler? [edit] - No way in effin heck it's stable on stock cooler.

Well Im not really pushing it cuz it will obviously overheat on stock cooling, I've had the pc on since yesterday and it runs fine but I haven't done any stress testing since it would obviously overheat before anything.

Then it isn't worth more than a normal 2500k. You need to prove that it's stable before you can claim golden. It's highly possible that your motherboard is automatically increasing your voltage without your knowledge.

Also, price checks are not allowed outside of GenMay.

My 2600k barely dooes 4.4 with an H100 water cooller. However it is rock solid I can run it at %100 intensity for days with no crashes. I can get 4.6 if I am ok with occasional crashes but not worth it IMO. A better motherboard or maybe better settings is my downfall I am not sure. So you are good with the 5.1meg 2500k. I'd keep it if I were you since it will poabbyl carry you through 1 or more CPU transitions which in itself is probably worth more than the extra cash you may get for your chip that can be overclocked a tad bit more than the usual.

Then it isn't worth more than a normal 2500k. You need to prove that it's stable before you can claim golden. It's highly possible that your motherboard is automatically increasing your voltage without your knowledge.

Also, price checks are not allowed outside of GenMay.

didnt you see the pic he posted, it clearly says that its doing 5.1ghz with just 1.088v.

his pc shouldnt even boot in the first place, forget running windows and being able to open programs with those settings.

i know alot of people who cant even boot to windows at 4.6ghz with 1.3v.

OP, where did you purchase it?

didnt you see the pic he posted, it clearly says that its doing 5.1ghz with just 1.088v.

his pc shouldnt even boot in the first place, forget running windows and being able to open programs with those settings.

i know alot of people who cant even boot to windows at 4.6ghz with 1.3v.

OP, where did you purchase it?

It doesn't matter. Sandy Bridge is very variable, and just because it can boot at 5.1 @ 1.1v doesn't mean it can run stable with 4.8 @ 1.3v. Idle means absolutely nothing.

Edit: On OCN, the highest 2500k overclock is 5.15 ghz with nearly 1.5v. All 5+ ghz overclocks require at least 1.35v. OP posting idle numbers mean absolutely nothing.

Looks more to me to be possibly a max 51 or so multiplier if anything. I say push it and see if it will boot any higher. But I'm curious to see what it will do though. Try a higher multiplier and see what it does.

put a load on it and I can guarantee it shits the bed ..booting into windows means almost nothing in terms of stability

I actually got this chip via a trade where I traded a 2600k for a 2500k + cash.

Due to the intel stock cooling it cant run any stress testing it just overheats and bsods, i guess I'll wait till I can get a closed loop liquid cooler to see what it can do. However it runs fine with the stock cooler on 4.7 after gaming for a couple of hours which I think is pretty impressive since it isn't designed to do that, i don;t think itll have any problem with a closed loop system.

I just assumed since it was stable to boot into windows and stay stable on idle or doing light web browsing that it might be something special if I had proper cooling.

Still impressive it boots at that voltage, would be interested to see what it is stable at under load. What temperatures are you hitting when gaming at 4.7?

Like I said. No SB chip on OCN (and they have an extensive number of user submissions) were able to do 5+ ghz with anything less than 1.35v. Most required at least 1.4. You really do not have any indicator of having a great overclocker.

A great overclocker for SB is a chip that can do 5+ ghz on air or water. SB CPUs typically run into a wall around 4.8 ghz, and that wall varies anywhere from 4.4 to 5.1. It's a hard frequency wall that is difficult to surpass no matter what volts you pump into it.

So you are good with the 5.1meg 2500k.

O.T. This was probably the best post I've read in a long, long time.

So what happened to the op and his testing and information. I'm still curious about what he finds out on it. Watch it wind up being a cpu off of HWBOT.

Last edited:
I am not going to say that it can't happen but I have not heard of anyone reaching 5GHz on an Intel® Core™ i5-2500K without upping the voltage a good bit.

It doesn't matter. Sandy Bridge is very variable, and just because it can boot at 5.1 @ 1.1v doesn't mean it can run stable with 4.8 @ 1.3v. Idle means absolutely nothing.

Edit: On OCN, the highest 2500k overclock is 5.15 ghz with nearly 1.5v. All 5+ ghz overclocks require at least 1.35v. OP posting idle numbers mean absolutely nothing.

you couldn't be more wrong, booting into windows is a huge deal, and is an indicator of a very good chip. Even without further load. This is someone who has overclocked every chip I've had since the pentium 2.

however I do agree that he could be full of it.

you couldn't be more wrong, booting into windows is a huge deal, and is an indicator of a very good chip. Even without further load. This is someone who has overclocked every chip I've had since the pentium 2.

Booting into windows means absolutely nothing and isn't an indicator of anything useful other than you got to the desktop and fired up cpuz. By this logic getting into the bios is a huge deal too.

Fast pwms and high LLC could get you into windows and take a cpuz screenshot with low voltage, it's nearly useless though.

Well, yes and no...

Booting Windows has it's own demands on a CPU, but if it were really that big of a deal, then there would be no need for stress testing programs like IBT that will blue screen Windows or cause a system reset right off the bat or shortly into it, right? ;)

"My computer owns, it can actually boot into Windows" Lol that's great.

Well, yes and no...

Booting Windows has it's own demands on a CPU, but if it were really that big of a deal, then there would be no need for stress testing programs like IBT that will blue screen Windows or cause a system reset right off the bat or shortly into it, right? ;)

but it's a clear indicator of a good chip, it's the starting point. Is it everything, no.

Like I said, booting at 5.1 at stock doesn't mean you can be stable at 4.8 with 1.3... which would be pretty average.

This is what I was assuming, people can't seriously expect me to do stress testing with a stock cooler?

Well, you're the one who posted "LOOKIE, my golden chip. How much can I profit?"

We can expect that you stress TEST it for at least 24hours if you're going to make such an outlandish claim with a freaking stock heatsink!

Well, you're the one who posted "LOOKIE, my golden chip. How much can I profit?"

We can expect that you stress TEST it for at least 24hours if you're going to make such an outlandish claim with a freaking stock heatsink!

So much this.

This is an enthusiast forum. Anytime you make an outlandish claim, expect to get grilled.
You guys are just meanies! :D

I would of gone the extra step and said to never use the yucky stock HS's.
They make better paper weights then anything else.

Do you have a Gigabyte motherboard,IIRC there is a problem with CPUZ reading the voltage on some Gigabyte motherboards, you need to use the motherboard utility to get an accurate reading.

This is an enthusiast forum. Anytime you make an outlandish claim, expect to get grilled.

I didn't make any outlandish claim, I boot into windows and use the pc. If I knew booting into windows at that speed indicated nothing I wouldn't have asked the question.

In my experience,booting into Windows at xx speeds IS an indicator of what you can do with a chip.Granted,it is a small step but an indicator none the less.Try booting with a ridiculous speed and see if you get into windows.My 2500k is stable @ 5ghz @ 1.4v. I have tried to boot it @ 5400 for shits and giggles and it WOULD NOT BOOT.Kept reducing till I got desktop @5200.Ran a few games but not fully stable.At 5100,it was stable but I went back to 5ghz just because the"extra 100mhz" wasnt doing anything and I like even numbers.. :D Again,if he got desktop at that speed and voltage,thats pretty damn good but there is some work to be done even if he does hit the wall at 5.2,who knows but he definitely needs better cooling to find out..Not sure why all the snarky responses. :rolleyes:

I didn't make any outlandish claim, I boot into windows and use the pc. If I knew booting into windows at that speed indicated nothing I wouldn't have asked the question.

Firstly, no need for listening to such idiotic replies. People with their 'ego' all along with jealousy would always exist even in a perfect world.

Secondly, if all you did was change the multiplier to x51 on default settings (of course with PLL Overvolt disabled) and boot into windows, then hell yes, you have a golden chip. There's no question of it.

As far as the voltage is concerned, as you're booting on default settings, well then Intel speedstep technology along with other C-States would also be enabled, which means that you won't exactly be seeing your correct voltage through CPUz due to being on idle most of the time. You should check the bios for the proper VCore reading and report back.

In my experience,booting into Windows at xx speeds IS an indicator of what you can do with a chip.Granted,it is a small step but an indicator none the less.Try booting with a ridiculous speed and see if you get into windows.My 2500k is stable @ 5ghz @ 1.4v. I have tried to boot it @ 5400 for shits and giggles and it WOULD NOT BOOT.Kept reducing till I got desktop @5200.Ran a few games but not fully stable.At 5100,it was stable but I went back to 5ghz just because the"extra 100mhz" wasnt doing anything and I like even numbers.. :D Again,if he got desktop at that speed and voltage,thats pretty damn good but there is some work to be done even if he does hit the wall at 5.2,who knows but he definitely needs better cooling to find out..Not sure why all the snarky responses. :rolleyes:

Really all booting into windows tends to mean is you are heading in the right direction. I have had some ridiculous overclocks that would boot into windows but wouldnt be stable for anything.

I got my old 2500k to boot at 5ghz with a tiny voltage bump but it needed a significant amount more to be stable.

The responses are warranted. Its more than likely he has a board with automatic voltage control on and CPU-Z is reading the voltage wrong and he has run no tests and wants to know what its worth? Its worth exactly the same as any other until he has tested and verified it.

Back