2408WFP vs FP241W

Rudd

n00b
I've read several reviews but I can't make up my mind, should I go for the Dell or the Benq?

I don't game much, I mostly surf websites and watch movies. I'm leaning towards the Dell at the moment, just because of its looks, I really like the stand.

EDIT: Ok after reading the dell forums I'm now leaning towards the Benq after all. Apparently the dell has a few problems unless you manage to get the new revision, seems like lottery.

Bump :(

Now I'm also reading about the blackout problems on the Benq.

Most of these issues are with older builds. Newer builds are not experiencing these problems any more.

I know I haven't had this issue with the FP241VW I've had for six months, nor did I ever have it with the FP241W I tried last year.

Your other option is to wait for the Dell when you see part number 320-6277 on their web site under the monitor name. This is the new revision. No guarantees, but hopefully it won't be a super-laggard input lag wise.

Most of these issues are with older builds. Newer builds are not experiencing these problems any more.

I know I haven't had this issue with the FP241VW I've had for six months, nor did I ever have it with the FP241W I tried last year.

Your other option is to wait for the Dell when you see part number 320-6277 on their web site under the monitor name. This is the new revision. No guarantees, but hopefully it won't be a super-laggard input lag wise.

That's interesting.
While people are asking about internet and video on the Dell 2408, they still get answers about input lag!:)

I've read several reviews but I can't make up my mind, should I go for the Dell or the Benq?

I don't game much, I mostly surf websites and watch movies. I'm leaning towards the Dell at the moment, just because of its looks, I really like the stand.

EDIT: Ok after reading the dell forums I'm now leaning towards the Benq after all. Apparently the dell has a few problems unless you manage to get the new revision, seems like lottery.

As you don't care about photos, for internet and video the Dell 2408 may be a better choice due to significally better black.
You will notice some wide color gamut artefacts (depending on your browser), but better black overweighs that.
The only improvement of a new revision which can concern you is more accurate sharpness regulation for texts.
In older revision this issue is treated by proper calibration - what I did on my unit. This "issue" is subjective and may not be an issue at all. But you should be aware of that.
To be on the safe side - choose the last revision.

According to Dell.se (swedish) the current part number is 860-10054 and they're selling it about 330USD cheaper until August 27th. Although I think the part number might be different in Europe compared to in the States. You wouldn't happen to know if the old revision had this part number?

According to Dell.se (swedish) the current part number is 860-10054
I wrote down the Swedish part number on July 18 to see if they changed it (this was before the US page changed their number). The number you have is the old one, from my notes:
Swedish part numbers from July 18 said:
Tillverkarens artikel : 860-10054 | Dells artikel : 147256

Meh, guess I'll wait another week and if nothing changes I'll order the Benq.

Well there are always the sharpness control issues, potential color shift issues, maybe overscan with HD sources, and then INPUT LAG :)

Oh yeah, and wide gamut too. Unfortunately the only consumer affordable monitor that does a good job of managing wide gamut is the LCD2690WUXI with the SVII kit. Of course this is not Dell specific, it is a wide spread issue. I never realized how bad it could be until I factory reset the NEC and blues, greens and reds were SO powerful that they overwhelmed my images and people looked like they were always embarrassed/flushed.

I'm just trying to figure out if the color shift issue is just typical PVA gamma shift or something else that Samsung has messed up in the panel.

Actually if you look at the Dell community forums they have taken your recommendation to use the HDMI port and found that it does reduce the lags to very acceptable levels. So you have a "gamer fan following" there now. ;)

That's interesting.
While people are asking about internet and video on the Dell 2408, they still get answers about input lag!:)

I don't think this monitor will disappoint you. It has been pretty good to me, and with all the connectivity options (second only to the Dell) that work very well, it's a good bet for future needs too.

Meh, guess I'll wait another week and if nothing changes I'll order the Benq.

Actually if you look at the Dell community forums they have taken your recommendation to use the HDMI port and found that it does reduce the lags to very acceptable levels. So you have a "gamer fan following" there now. ;)

Thank you, 10e.
I have not looked, but I am glad to hear that.

albovin, what kind of numbers did you find when switching to hdmi?
they're claiming numbers around 32ms...

I really wish there was some additional independent tests/testers :(

(and are your findings in the 2408 thread? I'd be interested in reading it)

albovin, what kind of numbers did you find when switching to hdmi?
they're claiming numbers around 32ms...

I really wish there was some additional independent tests/testers :(

(and are your findings in the 2408 thread? I'd be interested in reading it)

As you can see in the review, I checked DVI (for input lag) only and returned the monitor to the owner.

I strongly recommended there that future users check HDMI too.

Now we see that people follow that recommendation and get encouraging results.

Back