24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

I’ve bought a few in the last 8 months. Paid between 1000 usd and 2500…. Going off recent eBay listings, pristine ones or near enough have sold around 2800.
So you spent at minimum 3k to 7k total for three FW900 monitors over the past year? Are they all in good condition? I've thought about trying to pick up an FW900 to replace the unit I sold back in 2009 :( , but I can't stomach the costs for what amounts to a very old monitor. I offered 2500 for a NIB unit recently but was beat out by someone who paid 10k.

Last edited:
So you spent at minimum 3k to 7k total for three FW900 monitors over the past year? Are they all in good condition? I've thought about trying to pick up an FW900 to replace the unit I sold back in 2009 :( , but I can't stomach the costs for what amounts to a very old monitor. I offered 2500 for a NIB unit recently but was beat out by some who paid 10k.
Umm yeah something like that. Two were mint and one was in fairly rough shape. Kept one.
I don’t believe anyone paid 10k, best offer might have been close.

Umm yeah something like that. Two were mint and one was in fairly rough shape. Kept one.
I don’t believe anyone paid 10k, best offer might have been close.
Yes. The unit I refer to was purchased for 10k. I confirmed it after the sale with the owner. Why would I make something like that up? I imagine we are all grown ups here.

Yes. The unit I refer to was purchased for 10k. I confirmed it after the sale with the owner. Why would I make something like that up?
I didn’t say you made anything up, rather I imagined the listing ended with the final offer not being known.
I guess if I was a multi millionaire I’d have dropped 10k too.

I didn’t say you made anything up, rather I imagined the listing ended with the final offer not being known.
I guess if I was a multi millionaire I’d have dropped 10k too.
Understood, but I wouldn't have made the statement were I not certain what it sold for. That said, let's move on.

I assume the seller sent you proof? Or you took their word… I mean I believe it I guess, I’ve seen crazier things.
The unit sold on Ebay. After the sale I contacted the seller and offered 2500 should the buyer back out. He never contacted me so I can only assume the sale went through. Of course, he's not going to send some random bidder on EBay final proof of sale. Why would he if he's made his money. Of course, it's possible the buyer backed out but were that the case the unit would have been relisted or he would have contacted someone like me with money in hand ready to purchase. That said, I never heard from him again.

The unit sold on Ebay. After the sale I contacted the seller and offered 2500 should the buyer back out. He never contacted me so I can only assume the sale went through. Of course, he's not going to send some random bidder on EBay final proof of sale. Why would he if he's made his money. Of course, it's possible the buyer backed out but were that the case the unit would have been relisted or he would have contacted someone like me with money in hand ready to purchase. That said, I never heard from him again.
I’m just saying he could have received an 8k offer or something, took it then told you it sold at full price. People are full of pride that way.
Either way, it’s an insane once in a lifetime sale I wish I had the ability to grab.

Reactions: isp
like this
And it's insane that it sold for $10,000...

I rather buy an OLED panel and put the rest in savings or invest it. Who knows what kind of geometry issues will arise that require an increasingly small number of technicians can work on? I can only imagine after nearly 20 years of settling and expansion/contraction. That buyer might end up opening it up to find the screen is... in require of a massive restoration (Is Unkle Vito still around, BTW? I remember the service he did for people here with them. Pricey but I hear he did good work.)

And it's insane that it sold for $10,000...

I rather buy an OLED panel and put the rest in savings or invest it. Who knows what kind of geometry issues will arise that require an increasingly small number of technicians can work on? I can only imagine after nearly 20 years of settling and expansion/contraction. That buyer might end up opening it up to find the screen is... in require of a massive restoration (Is Unkle Vito still around, BTW? I remember the service he did for people here with them. Pricey but I hear he did good work.)
Yeah...original retail of 2.5k was as far as I was willing to go. Beyond that it was too much to justify on my part. Any more would have stripped me of any joy of ownership since I had intent to keep rather than resale for more. Here's the original thread: https://hardforum.com/threads/sony-gdm-fw900-crt-monitor-brand-new-in-box.2019054/

At this point, in 2023, massive restoration is the least one could expect for a FW900. But there's also the need to regularly service it (color settings), and a risk higher and higher to encounter a failure difficult or impossible to repair.

The one who puts as much money as 10k$ in this just doesn't realize what he's getting into. 1k$ is already more than exuberant ...

At this point, in 2023, massive restoration is the least one could expect for a FW900. But there's also the need to regularly service it (color settings), and a risk higher and higher to encounter a failure difficult or impossible to repair.

The one who puts as much money as 10k$ in this just doesn't realize what he's getting into. 1k$ is already more than exuberant ...
I know some guys that can drop 10k like it's nothing on something they really want. Yet, even with money to burn I'd have a difficult time dropping 10k on an old monitor that can quit on you at any moment with no recourse or hope of repair. Even Vito has said that the last of the spare parts were purchased by his firm back in 2009 or something close to that. I think he managed to restore a few units from the random spare parts he'd bought out of Mexico. I must admit the site of that NIB behemoth and the "new" smell combined with the feeling of being the first to power it on in a forever home would have been hard to resist. :)

These high prices for NIB ones never surprise me at all. One of the greatest displays of all time. Everyone of these NIB units potentially the last one on Earth. And some folks just having a great deal of money and who can afford to lose such amounts without blinking an eye.

And I'd recommend no one spend a penny on a CRT who isn't in a position to lose that money. It is a bit like buying a used lightbulb. Hopefully less so with a NIB one, but...

Excuse me if this is not entirely on the topic of the FW900, but figured I'd ask here as this seems to be the place to discuss CRTs... can anyone point me towards some good CRTs that are appropriate for rooms with lots of ambient light? It seems that the Trinitrons, including the FW900 have fairly gray screens, making their daytime black levels rather poor.

Excuse me if this is not entirely on the topic of the FW900, but figured I'd ask here as this seems to be the place to discuss CRTs... can anyone point me towards some good CRTs that are appropriate for rooms with lots of ambient light? It seems that the Trinitrons, including the FW900 have fairly gray screens, making their daytime black levels rather poor.
Most of the shadow mask units I have are treated with darker anti glare covering. Viewsonic, Cornerstone etc.

Certainly once CRTs were considered appropriate for bright offices, etc. Weren't other choices. And some folks bought external 3rd party filters to help counteract overhead lighting and such. However, for today's hobbyist scene and if you're wanting the sharpest and lushest picture, I think you would want a room with ambient lighting on the dim side.

can anyone point me towards some good CRTs that are appropriate for rooms with lots of ambient light?
Even if the tube is "better" than an average Trintron in that regard, you'd be reducing it's lifespan by running it bright enough to compete with sunlight. It would just be a poor experience, except for the motion clarity. Contrast would be like a bad TN panel because of all the ambient light getting into the glass.

So yeah, the only solution for 2023, IMO, is really to light control any room where you want to use CRT monitor.

These high prices for NIB ones never surprise me at all. One of the greatest displays of all time. Everyone of these NIB units potentially the last one on Earth. And some folks just having a great deal of money and who can afford to lose such amounts without blinking an eye.

And I'd recommend no one spend a penny on a CRT who isn't in a position to lose that money. It is a bit like buying a used lightbulb. Hopefully less so with a NIB one, but...
The used lightbulb analogy is a good one. Like tungsten filaments, those phosphors in the screen only have so much life in them. It's why I've given up entirely on CRTs and gotten a pair of Dell 2007FP monitors for my retro needs. Sure, CCFLs have a finite life too, but they are much easier to replace than an entire picture tube. For anything widescreen I'll have a pair of 16:10 displays I can use for that once I upgrade. As for the Dells, they're actually 4:3 (as well as 1600x1200) and good enough for my occasional use case.

EDIT: I should also add I don't miss the focus and geometry issues of CRTs, either. At. All.

Last edited:
None. As Enhanced says, you'll be running it into the ground and you'll still lose if you try to compete with bright light. If you can orient the monitor so the light isn't hitting it directly a monitor hood should help.

The used lightbulb analogy is a good one. Like tungsten filaments, those phosphors in the screen only have so much life in them. It's why I've given up entirely on CRTs and gotten a pair of Dell 2007FP monitors for my retro needs. Sure, CCFLs have a finite life too, but they are much easier to replace than an entire picture tube. For anything widescreen I'll have a pair of 16:10 displays I can use for that once I upgrade. As for the Dells, they're actually 4:3 (as well as 1600x1200) and good enough for my occasional use case.

EDIT: I should also add I don't miss the focus and geometry issues of CRTs, either. At. All.
My experience with CRTs that haven't been abused or seen heavy usage is that the power section has some failing first. I've almost always ran them at lower brightness and contrast though. I still prefer them but I understand disinterest from others.

I haven't given up hope of getting a 1st hand Professional-graded CRT yet. There has to be at least one Monitor Manufacturer in the world be it Taiwanese or Chinese that are willing to sell CRTs in 2023.

If I may ask, what was the price? I am thinking about selling mine in the same condition - 1st owner, flawless AR, overall pristine condition without a scratch. I am from EU but I can possibly ship anywhere over the globe.
4000 EUR. There was a 2000 EUR one but that was 1300 miles away and used. The 4K offer was up for ages, 1,5 years, but it was pickup only. If you offer shipping you might sell it faster

Last edited:
Reactions: Easa
like this
4000 EUR. There was a 2000 EUR one but that was 1300 miles away and used. The 4K offer was up for ages, 1,5 years, but it was pickup only. If you offer shipping you might sell it faster

I have no problem with shipping (as long as the buyer is paying it), but to get it to US or anywhere outside of EU it will cost a fortune, 1.5 - 2k in adequately protected box 1200x800x800mm with total weight exceeding 50 kilograms. I would like to stay off-Ebay though, not for evading buyer protection (I have a solid seller history there) but I am really not going to give them 14% cut of such a deal.

Monitor was bought in 2003 by its first & only owner and spent all the time in the same, light and temperature controlled room since - it was used for top level photo editing for magazine printing. Last 10 years it was used rather occassionally, but it was still on the same table next to EIZO LCD´s that have replaced it. It was never opened, serviced, repaired or WINDAS adjusted - I have the tools but I choose not to touch it, yet. AR is crystal clear, not a single hairline scratch, absolutely flawless. So are the plastics and the stand, there are no cracks, dents, scratches or chips, it truly has no storage or transport damage as you can see on the photos. The plastics were not cleaned, conditioned, sprayed with anything or restored in any way, what you see in the photos is the original and current looks of the monitor. This is especially evident on the serial number sticker, which is still snow white after 20 years. Monitor comes with matching cables - VGA, BNC and AC IN (EURO-FR type E version). After 20 years since the end of their production, you will not find a FW900 in better shape & same history.

Anyone with a better expertise in electronics, particularly capacitors, what do you think will last longer? This one, that was used ocassionally here and there in room temperature, or a NIB one that is 20 years without charge, stored god knows where?

20230705_141922.jpg
20230705_142559.jpg

Reactions: Xar
like this
What a beaut... Good luck with selling it. $6,000-7000 is about 6-7x more than what I'm willing to pay for any display, even if I have the funds to spare for more.

I don't mean to be rude but please keep in mind this is a thread dedicated to a device we use and we love, not to how to make as much speculative money out of it. Ebay is a more suitable place for that goal.

On the top of that, quite a few people here would feel offended by a speech aiming at selling a monitor 4000€ or the like when it was clearly stated it was obtained for a MUCH more reasonable price.

I don't mean to be rude but please keep in mind this is a thread dedicated to a device we use and we love, not to how to make as much speculative money out of it. Ebay is a more suitable place for that goal.

On the top of that, quite a few people here would feel offended by a speech aiming at selling a monitor 4000€ or the like when it was clearly stated it was obtained for a MUCH more reasonable price.

Okay, I am truly sorry if my post sounds like an advertisement, I just wanted an opinion on its value when I read that a fellow here bought one in similar condition in EU market. I have people that are offering me various sums for it & I still said no, I did not and I do not intend to flip it like a scalper, but if I am parting ways with it (and I do realize that this is the last time that I have opportunity to own one in such a condition) I want to make sure I will be at least compensated adequately.

Okay, I am truly sorry if my post sounds like an advertisement, I just wanted an opinion on its value when I read that a fellow here bought one in similar condition in EU market. I have people that are offering me various sums for it & I still said no, I did not and I do not intend to flip it like a scalper, but if I am parting ways with it (and I do realize that this is the last time that I have opportunity to own one in such a condition) I want to make sure I will be at least compensated adequately.
That is one nice unit and I totally understand your need to get some idea of what this unit might be worth. This thread is a proper place for your questions and I don't think you are crossing any lines of self promotion. Heck, this is the most active and oldest thread on the internet for the FW900. If this is not the place to discus such things, where is? Good luck!

Easa I think you're fine man. As you've noted, it's going to cost a lot of money and time to ship this properly. And you've taken care of it well. So it is worth some good money I think.

You should sell it Linus of LTT. The FW900 they bough is in rough shape, looks very green and washed out. Probably just needs a WinDAS adjustment, but I'm sure they'd like to have one in better shape.

"Anyone with a better expertise in electronics, particularly capacitors, what do you think will last longer? This one, that was used ocassionally here and there in room temperature, or a NIB one that is 20 years without charge, stored god knows where?"

Your unit looks beautifully preserved, but NIB. That unused, at all, tube, fresh silicon, and new monitor scent... :)

(And someone who can afford a NIB at this point can probably afford to replace the capacitors if that turns out to be a thing.)

"Anyone with a better expertise in electronics, particularly capacitors, what do you think will last longer? This one, that was used ocassionally here and there in room temperature, or a NIB one that is 20 years without charge, stored god knows where?"

Your unit looks beautifully preserved, but NIB. That unused, at all, tube, fresh silicon, and new monitor scent... :)

(And someone who can afford a NIB at this point can probably afford to replace the capacitors if that turns out to be a thing.)
Capacitors don't worry me. It's the other non sourced parts that are no longer made that would. Heck, they might as well be called "Unobtanium" at this point. :) Sure you can still source parts from used or broken units being sold on the internet, but that's still an unreliable assurance for someone spending thousands on a monitor.

Oh yeah, agree. I think it's very risky to spend much at this point.

The common issues with this monitor dont seem to be related to the boards, and yes the software causing the tube to kill itself. The only person in this universe who never had issues with his FW900's is UnkleVito, but he calibrates using WinDAS every year.
Coincidence? Maybe there's a relationship there?

The common issues with this monitor dont seem to be related to the boards, and yes the software causing the tube to kill itself. The only person in this universe who never had issues with his FW900's is UnkleVito, but he calibrates using WinDAS every year.
Coincidence? Maybe there's a relationship there?
Regular calibration probably extends the life of the monitors. And honestly I haven't heard from him in a few years so I have no idea what he's up to.

I've been offered between $2000-$3000 for mine. I've had it since about 2010. It's only connected to my gaming rig. When I game, I use it about 10-15 hours a week, but some weeks I don't even game. I've been very tempted to buy an OLED to compare to it. But buying a gaming monitor hurts my brain. You need to look for this, and anti that, and this and that. Dang it. My CRT just works LOL.

I am so pissed. I had two of these back in the day and let them go for pennies compared to what you guys are saying here. Of course I let them go well over a decade ago. I wish that I had kept them now.

I had the HP version that died late 2000s. The thought didn’t even cross my mind to get it repaired. I simply tossed it.

A FW900 went for £780 + £60 (~$1090) shipping on eBay UK just a day ago. Although it has deep scratches on the screen (will likely need anti glare removal) and a few cracks in the plastic casing. A good condition one of expect to go for two times or more.
I had the HP version that died late 2000s. The thought didn’t even cross my mind to get it repaired. I simply tossed it.
I nearly bought a FW900 for £300 on eBay back in the early/mid noughties. But because it was a little too far away I bought a 1080p 60hz TN LCD for around £150-£200 I think. That monitor was a dog and I had it for ages. If I had known how bad it would be I would've definitely gone for the FW900.
I've never been happy with an LCD monitors, mainly because of contrast ratio, but also motion clarity. My current one, a Samsung NEO G8 VA is actually the only one I've ever liked. I'm really excited for the 480hz oleds which are supposedly coming though.

The image on a CRT is blended to my eye where anything LCD is perfectly ordered and uniformly a matrix. This subtlety alone is worth never giving on those fat bottomed girls who make the rockin' world go round

I have some pretty bad bowing on top of my FW900 and haven't found a way to fix it. The top left and right corners sag by about 1/16" . Tried adjusting S-pin on Windas but that only seems to adjust bowing on the sides. Does anyone have a suggestion on how this issue could be improved?

Attachments

• 1689551690786.png
    1689551690786.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Back