24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

could it be that the monitor hasn't warmed up sufficiently in that picture? also the camera's color balance seems to be quite off

No! When there is a blown gun, you can warm up the unit a lifetime and it will still display a strong color cast. I put it on bold because in order to confirm the issue, it requires further testing.

As a rule of thumb, 95% of the time, strong color casts that persist on the screen (look at an image on a white background or a gray scale pattern on the display), even when the unit is "warmed up", are clear indications of blown guns.

UV!

No! When there is a blown gun, you can warm up the unit a lifetime and it will still display a strong color cast.

Yes, if you have blown gun, color cast won't disappear with warmup, but if you don't have a blown gun, color cast could be due to lack of warmup. That's what flood's point was.

In other words, that picture might have been taken before the tube warmed up.

I almost disagreed and said mine was 1080p. But now that I think about it, it was 1080i.

Pretty well every review and comparison on the BEST HDTV CRT picture display you could buy was always won by the Sony KD34XBR960. (never mind it was a 220lb pig )

It is 34 inch 1080i able 3D DIGITAL CRT TV.

I STILL use it alongside my fw900.

I know 1080i. But still, i watch blurays on it and whatnot. pretty neat.

Yes, if you have blown gun, color cast won't disappear with warmup, but if you don't have a blown gun, color cast could be due to lack of warmup. That's what flood's point was.

In other words, that picture might have been taken before the tube warmed up.

Understood... That's why I specified confirmation testing with the proper equipment...

UV!

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My SGI FW9011 is here guys! I just received on Estes freight. The unit is immaculate on the outside and the screen is absolutely flawless. I cannot wait to fire this puppy up and do a image restore. I only paid 150$ for this unit. I do believe I was in the right place at the right time. I still am going to purchase another unit A+ as soon as my fedex claim is processed. Thanks for all on this thread for advisement on these units, and my other CRT's as I am new to the game.

congrats bramabul :)

I strongly recommend getting a WinDAS cable, and following the WinDAS WPB guide (you'll also need a colorimeter, which is discussed in the guide).

I currently have a DTP-94 and a usb to TTL I got on ebay. I used the DTP-94 on my old Dell M991 with great success thanks to jbltechnicspro's guidance. I have been reading your manual on the FW900 calibration guide and want to make sure I have the process down exactly before I dive in to this unit. I am just thankful I finally got one. I had another unit destroyed by FedEx and as soon as I get the claim reimbursement I plan on getting a A+ hopefully. Thanks again,

fantastic :)

Please let us know your thoughts on the image quality of the display once you've got it up and running.

Bah! I wish I hadn't started back up in this thread. You guys make me miss my FW900s!

(my wife would kill me if she saw that I was starting to collect 80-pound monitors again) ;)

Bah! I wish I hadn't started back up in this thread. You guys make me miss my FW900s!

(my wife would kill me if she saw that I was starting to collect 80-pound monitors again) ;)

I dunno... I have an Artisan, F520, FW900, and a Electron Blue (22-incher), and my wife hasn't left me yet! :D

EDIT: Though she has asked me (and I agree) if I need all those monitors. I only really use the F520 right now. I had hopes of using the Artisan as a photo monitor, but I don't see that happening any time soon. Not with our baby on the way. And my poor FW900 just sits there unused, along with the Lacie.

Last edited:
Hey you guys... Off topic (sort of), but it does pertain to CRT's.

I want to use my Nokia monitor (it's a piece of crap Hitatchi tube) for LAN gaming, but I can't stand its inaccurate color tracking. Unfortunately, the monitor offers no color control whatsoever. Not even internally - no pots to adjust it. So I "calibrated" my display with Blue Eye pro, which adjusts the video output and created a profile to use. Hurray! Windows looks great now.

But when I play a game like Medal of Honor - the game overrides the Windows color profile and makes it look like crap again. How can I prevent this? I have an Nvidia IGP for it at the moment, but plan on getting a dedicated video card. Looks like AMD/ATI is the way to go for this, but I like Nvidia cards better personally. What do you all do to keep your color profiles in games?

Washed out 2001 SGI FW9011 150$ unit

2a4pkt3.jpg

2rm4h3o.jpg

After a good warmup and SRGB color restoration and some tweaking.
Took these with my G3 and it made them way to big.

i3ay5d.jpg

300s4g6.jpg

300s4g6.jpg

2utgh8g.jpg

Not bad at all, going to do a WINDAS run later. I am very pleased with the quality. I cannot even look at my BenQ VA LED panel now. I own a 2012 Panasonic Plasma and this CRT is on par with or even beats it. Great monitor.

But when I play a game like Medal of Honor - the game overrides the Windows color profile and makes it look like crap again. How can I prevent this? I have an Nvidia IGP for it at the moment, but plan on getting a dedicated video card. Looks like AMD/ATI is the way to go for this, but I like Nvidia cards better personally. What do you all do to keep your color profiles in games?

try using cpkeeper - see these posts

try using cpkeeper - see these posts

Will do when I have time. I spent the morning thawing a frozen pipe at the house. Now that it's thawed with no apparent leaks, I'm going to probably just get dressed and go to work. CPKeeper didn't work for me with Medal of Honor though... :( I like your background in that screenshot. Can you PM me the link to it please?

Washed out 2001 SGI FW9011 150$ unit

After a good warmup and SRGB color restoration and some tweaking.
Took these with my G3 and it made them way to big.

Not bad at all, going to do a WINDAS run later. I am very pleased with the quality. I cannot even look at my BenQ VA LED panel now. I own a 2012 Panasonic Plasma and this CRT is on par with or even beats it. Great monitor.

Not too bad. I think a white balance adjustment is definitely in order. Even when warming up, you shouldn't see any retrace lines. I think you'll enjoy your monitor - both the FW9011 and the FW-900 when you get it.

you should browse the images on that site - some real beauties. I've scoured the entire collection and have selected about 125 wallpapers that randomly rotate every 2 hours.

Picking up a GDM-F520 (non widescreen version of the fw900) for $20 locally, seller said the screen will briefly go black sometimes, anyone have issues with this? could it be a cable issue or bad caps?

Picking up a GDM-F520 (non widescreen version of the fw900) for $20 locally, seller said the screen will briefly go black sometimes, anyone have issues with this? could it be a cable issue or bad caps?

That could be caused by many things, and it is hard to pin-point the root cause unless it is fully tested and diagnosed properly. Try guessing a cap here and there is like shooting at a target board with blanks and trying to hit a mark.

UV!

Can someone recommend me some bias lighting options? I want to be able to use my monitor in the dark, but I don't want to be completely in the dark. This is mainly for my FW900. My F520 has its antiglare permanently fixed, so I can still sit in a pretty well-lit room and still see lower-level detail. But my 900 doesn't have the anti-glare, and therefore will look washed out in my bright basement. So I need to do a bias light of some sort.

My idea is to get a desk lamp and point the light toward the back wall. I was going to get an LED bulb that has a 6500k white and around 200-300 lumins. Would this be a good setup?

See this page for some quality info.

I believe the idea is that the bias light should be equal to about 10% of your display's peak white.

An easy way to judge this is to load up a pattern that has 10% of your peak white (so if peak white is 85 cd/m^2, load up a gray pattern that is close to 8.5 cd/,^2), and adjust the light until the surface it's lighting up appears equally bright to the image on your display.

Quick question.,When I turn on my FW9011 pre warmup it is bright and exhibits a slight green hue to the brightness. After 30 minutes the blacks are inky with perfect contrast and picture looks spot on without any green hue. Is this the nature of these monitors? Do they require a warmup each time before reaching peak contrast?

happened with mine too i think. not sure if it's related to aging though, but in general it takes a while to warm up

Quick question.,When I turn on my FW9011 pre warmup it is bright and exhibits a slight green hue to the brightness. After 30 minutes the blacks are inky with perfect contrast and picture looks spot on without any green hue. Is this the nature of these monitors? Do they require a warmup each time before reaching peak contrast?
This sounds perfectly normal to me. I think all of the (three) FW900s I used to own did this to one degree or another. I especially remember the green hue on one of them. Might have been all three but I can't say that for sure.

That does not happen on units with newer tubes and/or units with tubes that have guns working properly. None of the ones we have in stock have any kind of hues, not even at warmup.

UV!

This sounds perfectly normal to me. I think all of the (three) FW900s I used to own did this to one degree or another. I especially remember the green hue on one of them. Might have been all three but I can't say that for sure.

NO! It is not normal...

UV!

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I can live with it. It seems as though the brightness takes around 15 to 30 minutes to reach pitch black levels. I have a dell M991 crt that is pitch black from cold start, and that was the reason I asked about the brightness levels and the nature of warm-up times.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess I can live with it. It seems as though the brightness takes around 15 to 30 minutes to reach pitch black levels. I have a dell M991 crt that is pitch black from cold start, and that was the reason I asked about the brightness levels and the nature of warm-up times.

CRTs should be warmup at least 45 minutes before judging the image and/or making any adjustments/calibrations/testing. We warm up 120 minutes all of our units before we perform any calibration/adjustment on them.

Hope this helps...

UV!

Thanks Vito, This makes sense.
If I'm interpreting his "NO! It is not normal" declaration above, however, I think he's also saying that the green hue is not normal even during warmup. Because, I had said that I remembered the green hue and therefore would assume it's normal.

Uncle Vito, if it's not normal, and yet goes away after warm up, is it a problem or likely to develop into one?

Back