24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

This thread is making me miss my NEC flatscreen CRT that I sold to my roomate in prder to purchase a 20.1" Dell Ultrasharp. It was a worthwhile upgrade, but I still miss it o_O;

I still talk to my old roomate and he is still using it and loving it, although he is considering upgrading to a LCD soon, so perhaps I will have to purchase it back from him :p

Dang, a 24" widescreen CRT must be huge. :D

My dad is using one of our Viewsonic G90F monitors and I'm using a NEC Multisync FE950 (trinitron tube, hoorah!) for my primary. Sony SDM-something 17" LCD is my secondary, my dad has a 17" CRT for dualscreen, another 19" CRT, and a few more 17" CRT's. Lol, monitorific.

Working on getting another 19"+ so I'm not stuck on a single 17" Dell CRT @ my other house.

I have red lines going through my screen all the sudden that are apparent on blacks or other darker colors. They go away when the monitor fully warms up. Is there anything I can do about it. Is my monitor losing brightness or slowly dieing?

Thanks.

My monitor is starting to show signs of wear after a couple years :(
It takes like 10 tries to turn it on. Doesn't "catch" until it warms up enough.

Hey guys,
I lost my old username so I had to re-sign up to post this, but..
I bought 11 of the HP A7217As from the guy at Midwest Computer Recycling on eBay and drove to Illinois to pick them up in my sweet '94 Voyager.

I'm LOL'ing at the three monitor setup.
You do realize they draw 170watts each when on at standard brightness with a "busy" display.

Have you seen your power bill yet? ;)

Just got back from a 60 day trip backpacking Europe to find my FW900 is having the same issue. To get it working, I had to change the input to input 2, turn it on, then change it back to input 1. I'm going to leave it on for a week and see if it fixes it. There's no way I'm replacing this FW900 with anything else besides a new FW900 if it comes down to it. Let me know if it works!

That switching to monitor two is EXACTLY what I figured out too. Wild.
But I still have to try turning it on several times before it "catches".

I think room temperature is key.

I have red lines going through my screen all the sudden that are apparent on blacks or other darker colors. They go away when the monitor fully warms up. Is there anything I can do about it. Is my monitor losing brightness or slowly dieing?

Thanks.

I had that for a week then it went away. Try giving it some time.

Thanks.

Do the lines look anything like this? http://icrontic.com/forum/showpost.php?p=392396&postcount=454

If so if you can fix it but it will require a special data cable which allows software (windas) to communicate with the monitors firmware, you'll want to lower the current G2 value which will eliminate retrace lines and improve black levels. I did this to a Sony G400 (the link above) and it worked great.

I've pretty much given up trying to find a FW900 for sale anywhere close to driving distance (southeast michigan). Practically every online listing for this thing is pick-up only.

Guess I'm just waiting on the samsung 2233rz '120hz' panel (yeah we'll see if it's fake or real 120hz after it actually comes out).

I've pretty much given up trying to find a FW900 for sale anywhere close to driving distance (southeast michigan). Practically every online listing for this thing is pick-up only.

Guess I'm just waiting on the samsung 2233rz '120hz' panel (yeah we'll see if it's fake or real 120hz after it actually comes out).

I found one 2 years ago on craigslist for $100. Been great ever since! I've also seen another one a couple of months back on craigs again for $150.

Make sure you try a few different search titles for it as sometimes people dont know what there selling. I used HP A7217A and 24" CRT monitor.

Son of a bee, I knew I should have posted that it mine was still barely working.

The "barely" part gave up today. Died in a shower of static explosions.

Does the three click attempts with a cycle to try to turn on and fails, on either switch 1 or 2.

Sigh.

I don't want to go to LCD :(

Does anyone know of another vendor with ~$300 or less FW900's in good quality?

Hi folks, maybe you can help me.
I had to update my video driver (Nvidia GF 7900 GTX) it comes with a new control panel and it does not have the option "use doublescan for low resolutions (CRT)" anymore. There is no way of changing the control panel to the old one, this I already tried for hours.

Is there some way of tweaking? Doublescan gives a huge improvement of quality in low resolution games like Diablo or Starcraft. Without it there are black bars between every line.

Son of a bee, I knew I should have posted that it mine was still barely working.

The "barely" part gave up today. Died in a shower of static explosions.

Does the three click attempts with a cycle to try to turn on and fails, on either switch 1 or 2.

Sigh.

I don't want to go to LCD :(

Does anyone know of another vendor with ~$300 or less FW900's in good quality?

Man, my FW900 is still alive, but I've recently had to invest in several LCDs, namely in my XPS m1730, and I bought a 24" WUXGA panel a month ago. I ended up buying a cheap TN panel, the Sceptre X24WG, and I do like it. Text is perfect, compared to a CRT, and there's really no flicker to speak of (not like the FW900 has any flicker). Of course, the 60FPS limit kind of sucks, as does the ghosting, but you DO get used to it. The bad colors of the TN are noticable in gradients, but for the most part don't bother me in HL/HL2 games. I just wanted to post that you DO get used to an LCD, though they still aren't as good at gaming as my old CRT (and probably won't ever be, at the rate we're digressing). Good luck.

Is anyone local or nearby to Lake Bluff, IL? I'm looking for somebody that can help me with shipping a few of these internationally from the guy selling them at Midwest Computers. I already have shipping worked out, all I would need is somebody to pick them up from Midwest and deliver them to the Chicago CFS (shipping yard). It goes without saying that I would be willing to pay for your help of course. Please, if anyone lives nearby and wants to make a quick buck, contact me through PM or leave a message here.

Hey guys I just moved and need a smaller desk. I have one corner open. and i'm limited to only 40"x56" of space in that corner. I need a desk that will support my FW900 and 22" LCD at the same time. Can anyone give me any kind of recommendations? I asked in this thread because most of you have the FW900. Don't forget this CRT is roughly 100lbs.

Hey guys I just moved and need a smaller desk. I have one corner open. and i'm limited to only 40"x56" of space in that corner. I need a desk that will support my FW900 and 22" LCD at the same time. Can anyone give me any kind of recommendations? I asked in this thread because most of you have the FW900. Don't forget this CRT is roughly 100lbs.

ALl you have to do is brace the underside with some 2x4's. Thats what i did with my corner shot desk. A strong frame out of 2x4's to support the underneither of the desk in the center is all you need.

sorry if this has been answered before but i've read 50 pages out of this thread and haven't found an answer, my FW900 has recently started giving me fits. when its first powered on lines of static electricity flash across the screen and its scratching the anti glare coating (or i at least assume it is)

anyone have any idea what going on? fixable or i am i hosed?

sorry if this has been answered before but i've read 50 pages out of this thread and haven't found an answer, my FW900 has recently started giving me fits. when its first powered on lines of static electricity flash across the screen and its scratching the anti glare coating (or i at least assume it is)

anyone have any idea what going on? fixable or i am i hosed?

Does it look anything like this?

G400_Blackscreen_retrace.jpg

(original post/image, http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=398363&highlight=RLC-1) I think these are called 'scanlines' but not 100% sure. Its usually fixable with Windas program and the cable that connects to the monitor.

Is it possible that the ecs port inside the monitor is somehow dead? I'm trying to get Windas to work on my FW9010 and I'm almost 100% sure that all the connectors are right, GND, Vcc, rx, tx and CTS/RTS taped together from top to bottom when connected but I always get a check bus line error. I've tried mixing and matching some of the wires, reverse order, etc. but nothing seems to work. Help please, this is driving me nuts.

Been toying with my monitor since yesterday. Have had it running at:

1920x1200 @ 85
2304x1440 @ 85
2560x1600 @ 68
2880x1800 @ 68, but the flickering is a little too noticeable for everyday use.
3200x2000 @ 60 seemed to work, but NVIDIA Control Panel reported "custom mode test failed", I don't think my video card can output that res.

Are these safe? Now that I have these resolutions, I talked myself out of getting a 3007WFP-HC, which went on sale for CA$899 today.

Been toying with my monitor since yesterday. Have had it running at:

1920x1200 @ 85
2304x1440 @ 85
2560x1600 @ 68
2880x1800 @ 68, but the flickering is a little too noticeable for everyday use.
3200x2000 @ 60 seemed to work, but NVIDIA Control Panel reported "custom mode test failed", I don't think my video card can output that res.

Are these safe? Now that I have these resolutions, I talked myself out of getting a 3007WFP-HC, which went on sale for CA$899 today.

What in the name of GOD?? What monitor do you have?!

And if 2560x1600 is the last resolution you claim is good enough for everyday use, wouldn't the 3007WFP-HC be a better choice? They have it for like 650$ refurbished at Dell.

The GDM-FW900, of course. The 3007WFP-HC would indeed be good, but the real thing that has deterred me from getting one is simply that I wouldn't be able to game on it. I'd have to constantly have the latest and greatest graphics cards (at least a GTX 280 or GTX 260 SLI), because gaming on that monitor at anything less than native is not going to be great. Not sure about 1280x800 though, since it's a half res.

With a CRT, I can game at any resolution as if it were native. Plus, I can set it to 72 Hz for watching 24 fps film, 60 Hz for watching 30 / 60 fps TV, and higher for gaming.

The GDM-FW900, of course. The 3007WFP-HC would indeed be good, but the real thing that has deterred me from getting one is simply that I wouldn't be able to game on it. I'd have to constantly have the latest and greatest graphics cards (at least a GTX 280 or GTX 260 SLI), because gaming on that monitor at anything less than native is not going to be great. Not sure about 1280x800 though, since it's a half res.

With a CRT, I can game at any resolution as if it were native. Plus, I can set it to 72 Hz for watching 24 fps film, 60 Hz for watching 30 / 60 fps TV, and higher for gaming.

But the specs say that the max resolution is 2304x1440, so how in sam hill can you run it at 3200x2000?!

But the specs say that the max resolution is 2304x1440, so how in sam hill can you run it at 3200x2000?!

I've never tried it, but...

It's all analog technology. If you get the timings right with an advanced custom mode tool (notice the refreshes given) you can do whatever you want.

Now, most HD15-based cables won't carry those frequencies well, and the phsphors aren't small enough to actually show you every pixel of that resolution, but the OP doesn't seem to be affected.

That's the beauty of CRTs... those silly resolution things, they're just... well... not so important. :)

I've got a Sony G400 19" that - according to spec - maxes at 1880x1440 or so, but I regularly run it at 1920x1200 for HD viewing (yes, HD viewing on a 19" CRT... it's crazy, but hey, whatever). And it can do 2048x1536 without breaking a sweat, and even 2560x1600 if I mod the driver .inf to reach that high.

Funny thing is it runs 1920x1200 at 85 Hz, but the "max" of 1880x1440 is only 75 Hz... weird how that works, but there it is.

That's the beauty of CRTs... those silly resolution things, they're just... well... not so important. :)

I've got a Sony G400 19" that - according to spec - maxes at 1880x1440 or so, but I regularly run it at 1920x1200 for HD viewing (yes, HD viewing on a 19" CRT... it's crazy, but hey, whatever). And it can do 2048x1536 without breaking a sweat, and even 2560x1600 if I mod the driver .inf to reach that high.

Funny thing is it runs 1920x1200 at 85 Hz, but the "max" of 1880x1440 is only 75 Hz... weird how that works, but there it is.

yup...kinda like overclocking computer hardware, every piece is different. ya never know where its gonnna max out until you try...

As the previous two posters have explained, you can pretty much make a CRT monitor run at any resolution provided it has the bandwidth and its internal components can support it. LCDs and Plasma have fixed pixels, so their max res is it. CRTs can run at any resolution "natively", but it has a certain set of resolutions at which the dot pitch is ideal.

At 3200x2000 (or even 2560x1600), it's not nearly as sharp as 1920x1200, but it is good for putting a bunch of stuff on the screen, like lots of browser windows for testing designs, or seeing a larger portion of a high-megapixel camera shot. That's why monitors like the IBM T221 exist.

Wow, if only CRT's weren't so far inferior to LCD's in every way.. good show.
Kinda the other way around. Only thing that LCDs have on CRTs is size and power consumption (though some high end LCDs actually use more power than a CRT of the same size).

Wow, if only CRT's weren't so far inferior to LCD's in every way.. good show.
LOL yeah right. LCD's have come a long way, and they certainly do have their advantages in a few regards, but:
  • input lag: CRT beats LCD
  • black levels: CRT beats LCD
  • lack of stuck/dead pixels: CRT beats LCD
  • every resolution being a "native" resolution: CRT beats LCD
  • viewing angles: CRT beats LCD
  • displaying true color without the wide gamut issues: CRT beats LCD

haha. funny. troll.

What I was going to comment on was he seemed to acknowledge that the nearly infinite resolution of a CRT (ok, so not infinite but you get the gist of the comment) was actually superior to LCDs, and yet he backtracks in the same sentence to then call them inferior to LCDs...

"They really kick the ass of LCDs on the resolution thing, but they still suck in every way and LCDs are better."

Can't have it both ways, sonny... ;)

ps
I've been wanting an FW900 for several years now, just never found one at a time when I could afford one, so I just ordered one of those HP 2335 23" 1920x1200 LCDs for $150 at Geeks.com... I hope it works... I still want an FW900, I really do. :)

CRT FTW!!!

The guy is obv a TOTAL N00B so simply ignore him.

To peep who tried uber high RES's and then said he did not actually try them lol. :D

The Screen will switch to the RES's but Nvidia CP will fail it and revert back after a few secs. :(

You can run 1920x1200 @ 96HZ BTW. ;)

Back