24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

The guy selling all the monitors in Chicago is selling them for $85 each.

I don't feel that's a benchmark. Ones in good condition generally go for much more than that. Folks getting them for $85 each needed to get two guys to dig for 5 hours each looking for some decent ones. That's not exactly typical, or premium condition...

Do pre-2003 (2001 specifically) models have any disadvantages over their newer brethren? Are there any reasons to not run the monitor at 2304 x 1536?

Thanks...I need a monitor for photo and video editing, and this seems to be the best fit.

Been watching this thread for awhile, now I finally have reason to post. Found an ad listing some of these reasonably close(me Edmonton - monitors Calgary) I'm wondering if I get these shipped to me how well do they handle shipping transport and are there any particular questions to ask if i'm buying them sight unseen?

ad in question

good thread!
poker.jpg

Hi guys. I found a person locally that has an FW-900 monitor that was manufactured Dec of 2000. He says there are a few minor scratches on the screen, and the case has no cracks at all. The monitor was just used for personal use at home. Do you know what a fair price to pay is for this monitor? In order to find out if it is in good condition would I just use the Nokia test on it? Thanks for any input!

That's very old and near the introduction of the model. I'd be very weary...

That's very old and near the introduction of the model. I'd be very weary...

I'm not sure that a couple of years (out of 8) really makes that much of a difference. All of the tubes in the FD Trinitron series can blow up at a moment's notice regardless of age. Even BNIBs could flame out in a week - it's a risk you have to take with these CRTs.

I'd be more concerned about how it was cared for. "Home use" sounds like lighter duty than some corporation which may or may not use screen savers or power saving, might have 24 hour rotating shifts, and discards of their equipment like garbage by throwing them onto skids without regard for the next owner.

For that matter, how does a "home use" screen get scratches on the screen? Mine don't have fingerprints on them, let alone scuffs or scratches.

Now that I have a NEC 2490 I have two 2002 model GDM-F520s in MINT condition in original boxes which have been used by me personally since they were delivered straight from Sony in 2002 which I'm considering selling. No "screen down on concrete" treatment from these and I hope they'd be worth more to the next owner than "come to the warehouse and dig" units.

I very vaguely recall some issues with the first FW900s released, but I'd generally say that the first months of a monitor's release, the factory may still be sorting some stuff out...

(Oh, and yeah...scratches on the screen? And also, scratches on screen -- much worse than scratches on case...)

Do pre-2003 (2001 specifically) models have any disadvantages over their newer brethren? Are there any reasons to not run the monitor at 2304 x 1536?

Thanks...I need a monitor for photo and video editing, and this seems to be the best fit.

So, anyone have any answers? :(

I very vaguely recall some issues with the first FW900s released, but I'd generally say that the first months of a monitor's release, the factory may still be sorting some stuff out...

(Oh, and yeah...scratches on the screen? And also, scratches on screen -- much worse than scratches on case...)

I completely understand that viewpoint, but I bet that anything major would have been taken care of under the first warranty period. If they haven't failed in 8 years, I don't think you're at higher risk of spontaneous detonation or anything like that.

If the picture checks out in person and you get a good price cash-n-carry, ignore the sticker that says "2000", IMO.

So, anyone have any answers? :(
I don't know about the manufacturing differences, but I'll give you some reasons not to run it at that resolution. The max refresh rate for 2304 x 1536 is 70 something and that hurts my eyes badly, plus at that point the pixels are smaller than the dot pitch of the tube and text becomes blurry as hell. You might be able to get a way with a res between 1920 and 2304 with 85ish hz, but even 85hz tends to annoy me.

Well, I have an LCD that runs at 60Hz currently, and that doesn't bother me. I haven't used a CRT in a long time so I don't remember if refresh rates differ. What is the largest resolution where the pixels are not smaller than the dot pitch?

I have a 1920x1200 monitor right now, and one of the reasons I want a monitor like this is for the higher res (in addition to colors, etc. for photo and video editing...and gaming/movie watching).

Well, I have an LCD that runs at 60Hz currently, and that doesn't bother me. I haven't used a CRT in a long time so I don't remember if refresh rates differ. What is the largest resolution where the pixels are not smaller than the dot pitch?

I have a 1920x1200 monitor right now, and one of the reasons I want a monitor like this is for the higher res (in addition to colors, etc. for photo and video editing...and gaming/movie watching).
its not the same, LCDs dont refresh vertically like CRTs, each pixel is always lit, the 60hz refresh is just arbitrary. anything less than 85hz on CRT and you are in for some pain imo.

The strengh of this monitor is LOW resolutions, not high ones. CSS with 960x600@150hz is just pure gaming heaven.

60Hz is just a frame rate on an LCD. An LCD maintains its state between screen updates. However, a CRT actually requires a higher refresh (e.g., 85Hz) to repaint its phosphors fast enough to avoid noticeable flicker...

I don't know about the manufacturing differences, but I'll give you some reasons not to run it at that resolution. The max refresh rate for 2304 x 1536 is 70 something and that hurts my eyes badly, plus at that point the pixels are smaller than the dot pitch of the tube and text becomes blurry as hell. You might be able to get a way with a res between 1920 and 2304 with 85ish hz, but even 85hz tends to annoy me.

2304x1440 is the highest 16:10 resolution available. my maximum resolution show in both xp 32bit & vista x64 does maximum of 79hz refresh rate. its actually very very usable for games & daily use on my particular monitor.

after a couple years of reading this thread, it seems a lot of peoples monitors are either are out of adjustment or have never had their monitors calibrated properly.

2304x1440@79hz
2048x1280@85hz+
1920x1200@90hz+
1600x1000@100hz+
etc...

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm going to take a look at the monitor sometime soon. I am a little concerned about the scratches on the screen. I'm going to bring my laptop to check it out-- I read that there is a nokia screen test you can use. If it fails any of these tests is it not worth getting? The guy offered to sell it to me for $130, I guess it's over the $85 mark, but I've been interested in getting one of these so maybe I'll get it if everything works out.

Ok, so my FW900 finally crapped out on me. When I turn it on there's a cracking/popping sound. When I look in the back, it looks like there's a bright flash/spark coming on along with the crackling sound each time it tries to turn on. It tries 3 or 4 times and then it gives up and gives me the blinking yellow light. The sound has a fuzzy quality to it, like a whirring sound. What could it be fellas?

Unklevito, if you're reading this, do you do FW900 repairs? I'm about 15 minutes from LA in the 626 area so I can bring it by your shop for you to look at and hopefully fix.

ARGH, I can't go back to anything less than my FW900 now that I've been spoiled by it.

I have the EXACT same problem, it sucks though because i payed $150 for mine from a local guy and the fw900 was working flawlessly then started having the problem that you stated after just one week :( it was very disheartening because it was so hard to find one of these fw900 here in arizona.

if you ever find a fix for the problem we are having, let me know. i am hesitant to take the monitor to the very few computer/tv repair shops that are still willing to repair a CRT monitor, because i dont want to pay the $40 diagnostic fee only to hear "oh nope, we can't fix this" (yes i am a poor jobless high school student :p)

I think my Sony has finally died.

It now makes a high pitch squeel independent of signal, brightness, contrast, resolution or hz settings. The noise exists even in standby mode and gets steadily louder. After 5 minutes the screen flickers in the way a TV does when you switch it on/off/on/off real quick. This only happens once. After that the noise subsides. It may have returned if I left the screen on for longer, but I decided not to find out. On turning it back on after a 30minute break, the same process happens again. I'm not an electrician, but my best guess would be a dying capacitor? Or could it be something more serious and not worth getting repaired?

I'm still strongly considering ditching my 32" Aquos for a GDM-FW900. I have a new question though: Is there a relatively cheap way to transcode a composite and/or S-Video signal into a VGA or RGBHV (5 BNC) signal? A big draw of jumping to the FW900 is multiple scan rates which would allow me to display old game systems (and my Wii) at their native resolution. Problem there is connecting them to the monitor. I can use something like an X2VGA to connect the component systems (PS2, X-Box, Wii) but I'm stuck with composite and occasionally S-Video on older consoles like the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, etc. So is there anyway to connect them via VGA or RGBHV without breaking the bank? I'd really going for acceptable PQ here, I'm not expecting an immaculate image. I just don't want them to look like crap.

Another day another question: Has anybody been able to compare the original HDFury to the new HDFury2 using a 360 or PS3? It looks tempting but I'm skeptical about how much of a benefit the new model offers over the old one. Especially considering I can get the original for $60 and the HDFury2 costs $150.

I'm still strongly considering ditching my 32" Aquos for a GDM-FW900. I have a new question though: Is there a relatively cheap way to transcode a composite and/or S-Video signal into a VGA or RGBHV (5 BNC) signal? A big draw of jumping to the FW900 is multiple scan rates which would allow me to display old game systems (and my Wii) at their native resolution. Problem there is connecting them to the monitor. I can use something like an X2VGA to connect the component systems (PS2, X-Box, Wii) but I'm stuck with composite and occasionally S-Video on older consoles like the NES, SNES, N64, Genesis, etc. So is there anyway to connect them via VGA or RGBHV without breaking the bank? I'd really going for acceptable PQ here, I'm not expecting an immaculate image. I just don't want them to look like crap.
Don't quote me on this, but isn't Component the same thing as BNC with different connectors? If so, you can get the Wii component cables and use the BNC input on the FW900. Wii, Xbox1 and Dreamcast also have vga adaptors available, I never had a PS2 so no idea there. You can use a video card with a Component, S-Video, and composite input for the really old stuff.

Don't quote me on this, but isn't Component the same thing as BNC with different connectors? If so, you can get the Wii component cables and use the BNC input on the FW900. Wii, Xbox1 and Dreamcast also have vga adaptors available, I never had a PS2 so no idea there. You can use a video card with a Component, S-Video, and composite input for the really old stuff.

Nope RGBHV (the 5-BNC connectors) is an RGB connection, essentially a different type of VGA. I actually found a couple sub-$50 composite/s-video->VGA adapter that I'm going to use. Now the big question seems to be HDFury or HDFury2?

Hi everybody. New here but long time owner of an FW900 (in Silicon Graphics guise). Mine recently has started having the drifting out of focus problem when cold (snaps back into focus after warmup), that I understand is indicative of having to soon replace the flyback. Willing to buy the parts needed for the eventual repair, but I was wondering where the best place would be to buy said parts. Also, while I am an engineer by trade, I have neither the signal generating equipment nor the experience to undertake this sort of repair. So my next question is whether there is anyone in the greater Philly area who can be recommended for the work?

Also, for this problem I've heard that it may make sense to also replace the power supply caps at the same time. Is this true?

So whats the best way to clean this?

I have some "anti-static monitor wipes". I assume those would work?

Thanks.

Thanks.

they will work yes

they're made for LCD monitors but they will clean any screen well.

any glass CRT screen can be cleaned with just windex and a paper towel

I am pretty sure you DO NOT want to use Windex or any type of ammonia based product on your monitor. Reason being, they eat away at the special film on the monitor.

The best thing to use on the screen is simply a dampened paper towel or something like that. Good ole H2O will clean your screen just fine. It is the safest thing to use on your screen.

I have not been able to compare the two products (I own the original HDfury), however, IMHO the original should be good enough if you want it for a PS3. Most of the improvements with the new product are not an issue when using the PS3. For example, the HDfury2 upscales the colorspace, but the PS3 already offers an option for the extended 0-255 colorspace. If you were considering the HDfury for a different purpose, my suggestion would be to find someone who is already using it for that purpose.

Thanks.

Do not use anything with anti-static as it scratches. (This is in the manual.)

I always used lens cleaners that stated they were appropriate for coated optics. (And a soft cloth...)

I am pretty sure you DO NOT want to use Windex or any type of ammonia based product on your monitor. Reason being, they eat away at the special film on the monitor.

The best thing to use on the screen is simply a dampened paper towel or something like that. Good ole H2O will clean your screen just fine. It is the safest thing to use on your screen.

+1

i would die if my monitor got windex sprayed on it.

a dampened with distilled water damp cloth is all i use.

do NOT use paper towels as this is made from wood(paper) and will scratch.

Hey guys,
I lost my old username so I had to re-sign up to post this, but..
I bought 11 of the HP A7217As from the guy at Midwest Computer Recycling on eBay and drove to Illinois to pick them up in my sweet '94 Voyager. When I got there he had a laptop running Nokia Monitor Test and they were all in good condition. None of the screens were scratched at all and they were mainly in great shape with some stickers on them. I HIGHLY recommend this guy as I am extremely happy with my purchase. The van was sagging a little on the ride home.. these guys are heavy. Gaming at 2048x1280 is like nothing I have experienced before, though. The monitors are gorgeous. Here are a couple shots from the trip and my living room. Still waiting on a new motherboard and video card so I can run the third monitor & projector (not pictured).

Monitors-1.jpg

I stacked six on the bottom, then a plywood board with blankets, then five on top. I should have brought home tweleve

Monitors-2.jpg

Man these things are heavy
Monitors-3.jpg

To get a size reference, that's an 8 foot table, and the only thing I have right now that can support the weight of three of them

Monitors-4.jpg

Roommate's new water cooled Core i7, Crossfire 4870X2s, and temp dual monitor setup

Monitors-5.jpg

Other roommate's quad core in the corner, and part of my old computer desk bending under the weight of one of them

Monitors-6.jpg

Living room.. that's my "little" Dell P1110 on the right

Hi everybody. New here but long time owner of an FW900 (in Silicon Graphics guise). Mine recently has started having the drifting out of focus problem when cold (snaps back into focus after warmup), that I understand is indicative of having to soon replace the flyback. Willing to buy the parts needed for the eventual repair, but I was wondering where the best place would be to buy said parts. Also, while I am an engineer by trade, I have neither the signal generating equipment nor the experience to undertake this sort of repair. So my next question is whether there is anyone in the greater Philly area who can be recommended for the work?

Also, for this problem I've heard that it may make sense to also replace the power supply caps at the same time. Is this true?

Anybody out there who can offer some help?

Hey guys,
I lost my old username so I had to re-sign up to post this, but..
I bought 11 of the HP A7217As from the guy at Midwest Computer Recycling on eBay and drove to Illinois to pick them up in my sweet '94 Voyager. When I got there he had a laptop running Nokia Monitor Test and they were all in good condition. None of the screens were scratched at all and they were mainly in great shape with some stickers on them. I HIGHLY recommend this guy as I am extremely happy with my purchase. The van was sagging a little on the ride home.. these guys are heavy. Gaming at 2048x1280 is like nothing I have experienced before, though. The monitors are gorgeous. Here are a couple shots from the trip and my living room. Still waiting on a new motherboard and video card so I can run the third monitor & projector (not pictured).

Are all 11 in the same room? If that's the case then i don't think your going to have to worry about a room heater. ;) Well, at least just a single FW900 and the adjacent PC in my room is enough to keep it cozy in mid 30 degree weather.

Speaking of which, im guessing i just had the problem where the monitor will go out of focus for a second and pop back in. And it makes a loud SNAP when it does it. I'm a little worried, but i guess i saw this coming.

Yeah me too, im trying to find some flybacks for this monitor. I found this website with monitor parts but i have no idea what part number these FW900's flybacks are. :

http://www.partstore.com/GetModel.aspx?MfgName=Sony&BrandName=Sony&ModelNumber=GDMFW900&Page=1&SortBy=price&SortDirection=asc#PartsearchSKUList

I'm young enough that I don't remember my CRTs very well. Would it be worth it to score some of these?

There's a guy 40 minutes from me selling an HP A7217A for $60.

I'm guessing those HP's you have 40 miles away are the same guy so you can see the luck we had.

Are all 11 in the same room? If that's the case then i don't think your going to have to worry about a room heater. ;) Well, at least just a single FW900 and the adjacent PC in my room is enough to keep it cozy in mid 30 degree weather.

I think they have about 7 of them in the same room. I have 3 of them an the one I have setup so far is pretty awesome. No scratches on the screen at all and I got the stickers off pretty easy and then just sanded out any scratches and all the logos besides the trinitron.

The power usage isn't "that" bad about 100 (black screen) to 120 (white) screen it seems on my killawatt. My 24 inch lcd's are about 70. Its hit -20 here lately so its all good.

Speaking of which, im guessing i just had the problem where the monitor will go out of focus for a second and pop back in. And it makes a loud SNAP when it does it. I'm a little worried, but i guess i saw this coming.

Yeah me too, im trying to find some flybacks for this monitor. I found this website with monitor parts but i have no idea what part number these FW900's flybacks are.

NX-4504//J1D4

I am still wondering if anything else should be replaced while this work would be going on, just as a precaution.

I've got a 24" Samsung (245BW) and it's alright, but the colors are kind of innacurate, and it's got less-than stellar black levels.

I'm currently using a 47" HDTV (Vizio SV470XVT) and it's a lot better, but I'm still itching to try one of these.

For $60, I don't have a whole lot to lose, right?

If you have no problem lifting about 100 pounds that may be awkward no. I have 20" lcd, three 24 inch lcds, a 27 (800 x 600) and 37 (1280 x 1024) crt though so I might be the wrong person to ask. If you care about black levels and colors this monitor is very hard to beat.

I picked up a low-mileage FW900 and I'm EXTREMELY happy with it -- the contrast and color accuracy are wonderful.

Back