24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

if you don't mind waiting for 2-3 weeks I'll have some pretty solid data comparing anti glare vs no anti glare.

I would be really really grateful. Overall I'm really happy with this monitor, no LCD I had so far can even compare. But if it could be even better...

I have a Dell P1110 monitor I am going to get rid of. It has the problem described in this thread of a much too high brightness and visible RGB return. As interesting as it might be for me to acquire the necessary cables and software and try to clear up the problem, it simply is not the right monitor for me.

My question is what's a good way to sell it. I'd be happy for it to be reused by somebody rather than end up on the trash heap.

I have a Dell P1110 monitor I am going to get rid of. It has the problem described in this thread of a much too high brightness and visible RGB return. As interesting as it might be for me to acquire the necessary cables and software and try to clear up the problem, it simply is not the right monitor for me.

My question is what's a good way to sell it. I'd be happy for it to be reused by somebody rather than end up on the trash heap.

You should probably give it away. Personally, I wouldn't pay for it. Reason is that I have no idea how long the tube has been out of spec like that. I would imagine that the life left on it is pretty low (potentially). I would give it to someone who would appreciate it for what it is. Or trash it.

Found a neat trick for CRT's and games capped at 30fps (or half whatever your refresh rate is).

If you're playing a game and you're in a situation where you need to cap at 30 fps because of a weak CPU, but you have a little extra headroom in your GPU (like me with Far Cry 4), then you can try hitting higher resolutions by interlacing! Instead of displaying every frame twice, you're displaying half a frame each refresh, so you're basically getting the same results (30 unique frames over 60 refreshes).

I'm currently using a resolution of 2304x1728i, which at a progressive resolution my monitor couldn't hit. But since the game is 30fps (on my system), I'm not really losing any visual information, and everything looks incredibly sharp!

I set this up with Custom Resolution Utility by the way, really a great program for any CRT user.

don't you get serious flickering if you do this?

don't you get serious flickering if you do this?

Nope, because it's still 60hz, just each scan is a lower resolution. It does seem to have a little more aliasing, though, but not bad. Sort of like when play a Wii or PS2 game on a 480i CRT vs 480p, but not nearly as noticeable.

i prefer 80hz still.. 60hz is way too much flicker for my eyes.

So i would ned a 40hz interlaced res to get that?

So i would ned a 40hz interlaced res to get that?

Well it's still technically 80hz. For example, if you want to play a game at 40fps game on your FW900 at a crazy high resolution, you could make a 16:10 resolution like 3264x2040i@80hz.

In CRU it would look like this:

dF3B9nM.png

That's almost the limit you could get on modern graphics cards, because they won't let you go over a 400mhz pixel clock with VGA. And you have to make sure you cap your framerate in-game at 40 or it won't look very good.

As far as I know, there's no danger to running a resolution like this, but I'd like to hear from Vito and others whether the high pixel clocks can have any downsides for tube life.

i prefer 80hz still.. 60hz is way too much flicker for my eyes.

For me, it depends on what I'm doing. For desktop applications, like Word or web browsing, the flicker bothers me. But for games and movies, it's not really noticeable, because they aren't just a white screen with small black words on it.

Last edited:
i will try this out for sure, since most games these days are harder on cpu then gpu.. And 30-40 fps max in games is fine with me, as long as it isn't an online shooter.

And why 1020?

edit: nevermind, farcry 4 doesn't support 16x10 resolutons without black bars.

I have found something I did not know existed. A community of people who seem to... like CRTs...

Are there any pros to CRTs?

And why 1020?

If you look, it's actually 2040 on the far right. It's just 1020 every refresh, which adds to 2040 every two refreshes.

There is a "black bar fix" for Far Cry 4 out there if you google it. I'm currently playing it in fullscreen on my 4:3 monitor.

Well it's still technically 80hz. For example, if you want to play a game at 40fps game on your FW900 at a crazy high resolution, you could make a 16:10 resolution like 3264x2040i@80hz.

In CRU it would look like this:

dF3B9nM.png

That's almost the limit you could get on modern graphics cards, because they won't let you go over a 400mhz pixel clock with VGA. And you have to make sure you cap your framerate in-game at 40 or it won't look very good.

As far as I know, there's no danger to running a resolution like this, but I'd like to hear from Vito and others whether the high pixel clocks can have any downsides for tube life.

For me, it depends on what I'm doing. For desktop applications, like Word or web browsing, the flicker bothers me. But for games and movies, it's not really noticeable, because they aren't just a white screen with small black words on it.

i added the resolution, but i can't change my desktop or ingame to this resolution.

Am i doing something wrong?

i added the resolution, but i can't change my desktop or ingame to this resolution.

Am i doing something wrong?

You have to restart your computer to get it to show up. And sometimes you can only see it in your AMD/Nvidia settings.

What monitor are you playing on by the way?

Cool, let us know how it Far Cry looks at that rez. If you do "sparse vsync" in Far Cry 4's settings it will cap you at 40fps, but give you a ton of input lag. The better way is to set the cap in Nvidia settings (or Radeon Pro for AMD cards)

i still can't set the interlaced resolution. in amd catalyst control center it shows the maximum supported resolution is the 3264x2040 resolution, but i can't select it. Not in farcry 4 either.

How do i set resolution with radeonpro? Can't find it...

When you made the resolution in CRU, did you check the "Interlaced" box? Just make it look exactly like I have it in the screenshot, and it should work, unless there's some other problem I don't know about. Also see if it's available in windows display settings.

And Radeon Pro is just for capping Far Cry's framerate at 40 with "dynamic framerate control"

i did check interlaced.

Hmm, this is weird. Your other resolution doesn't show up either...

Oh wait, I just remembered, there's an option somehwhere in Catalyst Control Center that says something like "use display EDID". Change that setting and see if that helps

tried disabling that, and it only made things worse.. couldn't even enable 1920x1200@85hz

When I had a 7850, I remember the EDID option closing off some resolutions, but opening up others. It was weird, I had to change it back and forth depending on the game I was trying to play.

So is it greyed-out when you see it in CCC? What about in "Screen Resolution" in Windows?

it seems the interlaced resolutions ujst don't get accepted.

I got 2240x1260@85hz and 2400x1350@85hz installed for farcry4 (since it has to be 16:9 res there)

The interlaced ones ust don't show up.

I have found something I did not know existed. A community of people who seem to... like CRTs...

Are there any pros to CRTs?

best gaming monitor, best picture and colors, best black and white levels etc etc.

And you can play online shooters at 120 hz or even 160 hz or more for an advantage.

it seems the interlaced resolutions ujst don't get accepted.

I got 2240x1260@85hz and 2400x1350@85hz installed for farcry4 (since it has to be 16:9 res there)

The interlaced ones ust don't show up.

That's weird.

Don't know if it helps, but here's what my Far Cry 4 resolution looks like in CCC. You can see it registers as 30hz.

vhiAPBt.png

and CRU

YfOTaGF.png

I can try and help you more in a few days. I'll be getting a 7970 which is probably closer to what you're using than what my current card.

found out what the problem is. Resolutions for interlaced only accept 60 hz(2x30hz)

So i'll try the highest 16x9 60hz res i can get for interlace"d.

Speaking of which? How do i calculate this? What is highest 16:9 interlaced resolution a fw900 can handle?

Last edited:
I have an FW900 for sale if anyone is looking for one. I'm in the new england area and can ship. Message me with your offer. The anti-glare is removed so the glass is perfect. No known electrical or mechanical issues.

found out what the problem is. Resolutions for interlaced only accept 60 hz(2x30hz)

So i'll try the highest 16x9 60hz res i can get for interlace"d.

Speaking of which? How do i calculate this? What is highest 16:9 interlaced resolution a fw900 can handle?

Ah, that sucks, I hadn't tried anything other than 60 yet.

You have two limits to keep an eye on, your monitor's vertical and horizontal scan limits (somewhere around 140 for the vertical I think, but check the manual on Sony's site), and your graphics cards RAMDAC pixel clock limit (usually 400mhz).

So I'm pretty sure you can actually do 4k interlaced (3840 x 2160i) on the FW900.

EDIT: just tried a non-60hz interlaced refresh rate and it worked. Set as 87hz in CRU (so it's actually is 43.5). Tried a few others and they worked as well. So I don't know what is wrong on your end.

pAcvvzs.png

Tried Far Cry 3 at that res and it was gorgeous. Plays way smoother with the Omega drivers.

I am currently using a 290x, which is outputting DVI-D to an HD Fury adapter, don't know if that makes a difference. I'll try with different card with native VGA out in a few days and let you know if anything is different.

Last edited:
So, a little off-topic, but it's still a CRT so...

I recently acquired a Nokia 447L monitor. It's a 17-inch shadow-mask tube (according to PC-Review from 1995 it's a Hitatchi tube). Not the best monitor in the world, but for my needs (IBM PS/2 Model 30 286 computer - and the big DOS box) - it's perfect. Only issue for me is that there isn't any correction controls on the front panel besides Horizontal Size and Vertical Size (and HPhase and VPhase)... That's it. No pincushion, no pin balance, no keystone/key balance. And definitely no color correction.

See the thing is, I received it (I got it on eBay) damaged. A chunk was taken out of it and I need to take the darn thing apart to remove the plastic chunk in the monitor. So while I was at it, I figured I'd see if there are any more correction circuits I can tap. And in case anyone was curious - I received a full refund for it, so I'm out nothing on this. Surprisingly, the monitor works just fine. Anywho...

Where would any color correction circuits be? I looked at a service diagram, but all I saw were the schematics for the monitor. And I'm not electronics expert. :(

A bit off topic too but i found a nice video from a german pc hardware magazine, they ask if a CRT is still an alternative to a 144Hz LCD

They use a ilyama vision master pro 454 which goes up to 250 cd/m²; even with all the light around it looks super bright :eek:

At 3:45 they compare it to a BenQ 144Hz LCD and the difference in picture quality is insane :D
CRT gets also praised for its true blacks and overall he says that it's still a great experience but the difference in motion isn't that big compared to the BenQ (I guess they use the strobing effect)

http://youtu.be/0S-bP9l2rA0

A bit off topic too but i found a nice video from a german pc hardware magazine, they ask if a CRT is still an alternative to a 144Hz LCD

They use a ilyama vision master pro 454 which goes up to 250 cd/m²; even with all the light around it looks super bright :eek:

At 3:45 they compare it to a BenQ 144Hz LCD and the difference in picture quality is insane :D
CRT gets also praised for its true blacks and overall he says that it's still a great experience but the difference in motion isn't that big compared to the BenQ (I guess they use the strobing effect)

http://youtu.be/0S-bP9l2rA0

Cool video. That's exactly why I still prefer CRT's. They look far more organic and natural than LCD. I really can't wait for OLED to take off. Enough of this LCD shit.

Did you notice any potentiometers that you can play around with?

Not yet... I haven't been able to get the case open. Stupid screw heads are too blunt for my narrow driver. I need to get a long screw driver set that has a blunt enough driver so that I can open her up. :(

Update... Went to the hardware store (helps that it's just down the street :)). I popped the case off of that sucker, and it looks like there are no options to adjust RGB. Well... there's a shield around the area where the actual tube is, but as far as I can see through it (with a flashlight) - I don't see any potentiometers. The only pots I see are ones that can adjust:
1. "Screen" (G2 equivalent)
2. "Focus" (Probably corner or center)
3. "Focus" (Opposite of the one above)
4. "YV" - Vertical Convergence
5. "YH" - Horizontal Convergence
6. "YC" - Corner Convergence (pretty neat actually)

And that's it... Oh well. It's a DOS box monitor and nothing more. Still - it would have been nice to have some accurate color thrown in. I'm wondering how they set the color at the factory?

Me too, but I'm from Spain. Does anybody know where can I find one of these in Europe? I supose that shipping from US would have insane costs...

Regards.

Me too, but I'm from Spain. Does anybody know where can I find one of these in Europe? I supose that shipping from US would have insane costs...

Regards.

Shipping and tax/duty depends on which country the item is being shipped. We ship to Europe quite often. Send me a PM and I will get a FedEx quote for you...

Unkle Vito!

I am looking into purchasing this FW9011 locally and I am wanting an expert opinion on its condition. It is a 2001 model in flawless outside shape, but when the seller sent me some pics of the unit they said upon warming up it is displaying a few red and green horizontal lines that faded over the period of the warmup. Is this just the nature of the unit or does the unit exhibit signs of nearing end of life. Please help me determine.

thanks

I am looking into purchasing this FW9011 locally and I am wanting an expert opinion on its condition. It is a 2001 model in flawless outside shape, but when the seller sent me some pics of the unit they said upon warming up it is displaying a few red and green horizontal lines that faded over the period of the warmup. Is this just the nature of the unit or does the unit exhibit signs of nearing end of life. Please help me determine.

thanks

Could you show us a picture? What's the price of the unit?

Back