24" Widescreen CRT (FW900) From Ebay arrived,Comments.

i recently bought a fw900 from unkle vito and i am happy with the picture on it however it has been showing alot of problems and i am afraid it might die

when i first started it it showed this (i had my dads iphone ready to capture the moment of the very first start)

http://speedy.sh/9558h/fw900.mp4

after that it has just been getting worse and worse here are a few problems

extremely blurry before warmup i know it's normal that it's blurry when starting cold but this one is so blurry you can't read text

weird focusing problem where the picture goes in and out for a moment

same weird flashes as shown in the video a few days ago it also also showes big uneven green lines in the picture (i have seen this problem before on an ibm monitor my dad used to have a friend said it is related to g2 voltage

this morning when i started it it flashed blue two or 3 times

all these problems only show when starting from cold it has never showed any issues when warm

then theres really bad convergence problems where windows and the edges of the screen is red or blue or anything i was told this is normal but is there any way to adjust it to make it less noticable?

i contacted vito about this and he says my electricity damaged it because europe/sweden uses a different type of voltage does that mean i can't use a fw900 in my country?

so my question is what should i do?

should i disconnect it and stop using it for now?

i don't even know whats wrong with it or what happpened with it it really makes me sad seeing how much i spent to get it here only to have it break down first start of it

i am trying to be calm about this but i don't know what to do

look at the back of the monitor where the power cable goes... how many volts does it say? 110 or 110-240 or 240?

then electricity in your country could not have damaged it. it will work anywhere in the world without problems. such extensive damage is unlikely during transit either.

probably sent you a bad piece by chance. bad luck. send it back.

then electricity in your country could not have damaged it. it will work anywhere in the world without problems. such extensive damage is unlikely during transit either.

probably sent you a bad piece by chance. bad luck. send it back.

he told me i can send it back if i pay for shipping and taxes

that is litterally 100% impossible for me

i can't afford to send it back it costs more to send it then the actual monitor

i really don't know what to do he said i did something with it by experiementing only thing i have done on this monitor is increase contrast to 100 and felt what brightness is better i have not turned it up to 100

i have not touched color restore not touching the reset button i havn't even changed the osd language literally only thing i have done with it is simply change brightness contrast and adjust geometry

so you are telling me i have a bad monitor? according to him it was impeccable he said every test he did showed amazing results

i find it hard to beleive it's a bad monitor i guess i have to contact him again but i don't know what to do i litterally cannot afford to send it back i've also known him for many years i just find this very confuzing

Last edited:
he told me i can send it back if i pay for shipping and taxes

that is litterally 100% impossible for me

i can't afford to send it back it costs more to send it then the actual monitor

i really don't know what to do he said i did something with it by experiementing only thing i have done on this monitor is increase contrast to 100 and felt what brightness is better i have not turned it up to 100

i have not touched color restore not touching the reset button i havn't even changed the osd language literally only thing i have done with it is simply change brightness contrast and adjust geometry

so you are telling me i have a bad monitor? according to him it was impeccable he said every test he did showed amazing results

i find it hard to beleive it's a bad monitor i guess i have to contact him again but i don't know what to do i litterally cannot afford to send it back i've also known him for many years i just find this very confuzing

try to get it repaired locally if you are sure you cant ship it back and sure ebay will not help you with shipping costs. ebay has limited time 10 days or so when you can claim for refund so talk to ebay also about shipping costs etc. search the net about such problems.

try to get it repaired locally if you are sure you cant ship it back and sure ebay will not help you with shipping costs. ebay has limited time 10 days or so when you can claim for refund so talk to ebay also about shipping costs etc. search the net about such problems.

i really don't understand this he said it was perfect

what can be wrong with it since it only shows these problems when starting from cold

i feel so sad right now all the money i spent to get it here

i really don't understand this he said it was perfect

what can be wrong with it since it only shows these problems when starting from cold

i feel so sad right now all the money i spent to get it here

if it is working fine then why are you complaining and feeling sad?:confused:

if it is working fine then why are you complaining and feeling sad?:confused:

well seeing how it behaves i don't think it will last through out this year

it just gets worse and worse everytime i start it

it's horrible to see when it happens

well seeing how it behaves i don't think it will last through out this year

it just gets worse and worse everytime i start it

it's horrible to see when it happens

take some action then dont keep feeling bad. return it or stop feeling horrible.

take some action then dont keep feeling bad. return it or stop feeling horrible.

i can't afford to do that i was hoping someone could help me and that a simple type of adapter would fix this and that it's not a serious problem
i guess something actually is wrong with it

i wonder how vito never had any problems with it he said it was perfect before he sent it so none of this makes any sense i did not damage it i didn't do anything too it

and you say it couldn't have gotten damage in the shipping (it was very well packaged even the outside box was in perfect condition)

i just don't understand this he said the monitor was perfect and i know i didn't do anything to damage it

it came with a power cable but it was american so i had to use a normal one laying around i also use the included bnc cable

i have brand new logitech speakers standing next too it but they are shielded

i can't afford to do that i was hoping someone could help me and that a simple type of adapter would fix this and that it's not a serious problem
i guess something actually is wrong with it

i wonder how vito never had any problems with it he said it was perfect before he sent it so none of this makes any sense i did not damage it i didn't do anything too it

and you say it couldn't have gotten damage in the shipping (it was very well packaged even the outside box was in perfect condition)

i just don't understand this he said the monitor was perfect and i know i didn't do anything to damage it

it came with a power cable but it was american so i had to use a normal one laying around i also use the included bnc cable

i have brand new logitech speakers standing next too it but they are shielded

The monitor sent to Jonathan was brand new in a sealed box. We tested it five days, and at Jonathan's request, we re-calibrated it and re-adjust it. Before I packed it, I re-tested it again, and it was impeccable in both cosmetic and functionality. I have several pictures of the monitor functioning impeccably before it was packed.

In my personal experience, 99.9% of the problems my customers experienced with their monitors is due to user's interface. By user's interface, I mean that the end users often twick, modify, alter, re-adjust, remove/exchange parts, tamper with the monitors, use poor quality cables, have electromagnetism at their studios, their electrical wirings are not fully grounded and the electronic equipment suffer voltage peaks, zapped the monitors with static electricity while performing unauthorized adjustments and/or repairs, or just reset the EEPROM causing corruption. I can go on and on and I have seen it all...

We have a policy of going the extra mile by taping and photographing the units as they are being tested and packed. That way, I eliminate the possibility of being blamed for sending garbage.

As I told Jonathan, I do not know what happened when the unit arrived in Sweden. It may have been opened by Customs when checking for the contents, it may have suffered a voltage peak, the electricity in his studio may not have the correct cycles for the unit to operate properly, it may have been zapped when making internal adjustments (I seem to remember that Jonathan wanted to re-adjust the pods of the FBT to compensate for the isogonic effect of his place being close to the pole, which may cause transient blurriness). I don't know as I am only guessing...

In any case, I offered to re-check the monitor and to re-adjust it free of charge. That is all I can offer to Jonathan.

Hope this explains my position...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

The monitor sent to Jonathan was brand new in a sealed box. We tested it five days, and at Jonathan's request, we re-calibrated it and re-adjust it. Before I packed it, I re-tested it again, and it was impeccable in both cosmetic and functionality. I have several pictures of the monitor functioning impeccably before it was packed.

In my personal experience, 99.9% of the problems my customers experienced with their monitors is due to user's interface. By user's interface, I mean that the end users often twick, modify, alter, re-adjust, remove/exchange parts, tamper with the monitors, use poor quality cables, have electromagnetism at their studios, their electrical wirings are not fully grounded and the electronic equipment suffer voltage peaks, zapped the monitors with static electricity while performing unauthorized adjustments and/or repairs, or just reset the EEPROM causing corruption. I can go on and on and I have seen it all...

We have a policy of going the extra mile by taping and photographing the units as they are being tested and packed. That way, I eliminate the possibility of being blamed for sending garbage.

As I told Jonathan, I do not know what happened when the unit arrived in Sweden. It may have been opened by Customs when checking for the contents, it may have suffered a voltage peak, the electricity in his studio may not have the correct cycles for the unit to operate properly, it may have been zapped when making internal adjustments (I seem to remember that Jonathan wanted to re-adjust the pods of the FBT to compensate for the isogonic effect of his place being close to the pole, which may cause transient blurriness). I don't know as I am only guessing...

In any case, I offered to re-check the monitor and to re-adjust it free of charge. That is all I can offer to Jonathan.

Hope this explains my position...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

i really don't know what to do at this point i can't afford to send it back so what should i do?

i never did anything with it nothing at all i used the included cables i didn't do anything

i asked about it being blurry and if i should adjust the focus knobs i never actually did it

i didn't do anything with it and i NEVER opened it up i don't know what to do to prove that i didn't

can you please tell me what to do i don't know

should i simply disconnect it and stop using it?

i was hoping someone here could help since they may more about eu electricity

our house is grounded

i don't know what to do i can't afford to send it back i just can't afford it all i want is for it to work properly as i am happy with the picture it produces i don't want it to die

can you please tell me what i should do?

i feel like giving up as you now think i have opened it up and theres nothing i can do to prove i didn't

i can't handle this right now i just can't i have gone through enough stress lately for this so much money i spent on it only to have it break down

i think i will just drop it i don't want to make you an enemy i have known you for so long i don't know why it happened but i guess theres nothing to do

i really can't afford to drop it but i don't want to be enemy with someone i have known for so long and i am too weak to be able to handle this right now i just can't afford this

Last edited:
i really don't know what to do at this point i can't afford to send it back so what should i do?

i never did anything with it nothing at all i used the included cables i didn't do anything

i asked about it being blurry and if i should adjust the focus knobs i never actually did it

i didn't do anything with it and i NEVER opened it up i don't know what to do to prove that i didn't

can you please tell me what to do i don't know

should i simply disconnect it and stop using it?

i was hoping someone here could help since they may more about eu electricity

our house is grounded

i don't know what to do i can't afford to send it back i just can't afford it all i want is for it to work properly as i am happy with the picture it produces i don't want it to die

can you please tell me what i should do?

i feel like giving up as you now think i have opened it up and theres nothing i can do to prove i didn't

i can't handle this right now i just can't i have gone through enough stress lately for this so much money i spent on it only to have it break down

i think i will just drop it i don't want to make you an enemy i have known you for so long i don't know why it happened but i guess theres nothing to do

i really can't afford to drop it but i don't want to be enemy with someone i have known for so long and i am too weak to be able to handle this right now i just can't afford this

Take it into a repair shop. Have them test it and then post your findings. If it was an electrical surge like Uncle Vito says then you might be able to turn it into insurance.

What you describe can be a number of things this is why you need to take it into someone that repairs CRTs.

Take it into a repair shop. Have them test it and then post your findings. If it was an electrical surge like Uncle Vito says then you might be able to turn it into insurance.

What you describe can be a number of things this is why you need to take it into someone that repairs CRTs.

i don't even know if there is a shop here that can repair these i have to search for that

i honestly did not need this i have gone through so much stress lately and been terribly depressed i was happy knowing i will finally get something to make me happy

and now this happens

i can't handle it right now

i will post a new video as these problems seem to happen every time i start it from cold (not always) but almost every time

Last edited:
Well being all the way out in Sweden you are going to need to spearhead the fixing of this unit. I know you are going to find at least one qualified repair shop that can analyze the unit and tell you what is faulty. I had never considered customs messing with it. Take a day off and the next day do some searching for technicians. Maybe even a school that does technical studies.

I am so confused with what Jonathan is saying.. He is saying...."i am happy with the picture it produces..." Then what is really the problem with the monitor? I offered to check it out and ship it back AT MY EXPENSE! Come on???

I am so confused with what Jonathan is saying.. He is saying...."i am happy with the picture it produces..." Then what is really the problem with the monitor? I offered to check it out and ship it back AT MY EXPENSE! Come on???

If you watch the video it shows some errors. Flashes of green and blue at startup across the whole screen.

He also mentioned

extreme blurryness when the monitor isn't warmed

weird zooming in and out at random times

If you watch the video it shows some errors. Flashes of green and blue at startup across the whole screen.

He also mentioned

extreme blurryness when the monitor isn't warmed

weird zooming in and out at random times

try the d-sub port. use vga-vga cable and see if it works. could be a loose connection.

when I push the power button on my FW900 the green light comes on for a few seconds then goes to flashing orange every other second.

When this happens, I have to let it rest at least several hours (or days...depending on how long I had the monitor on prior) before it will power up properly again.

When it does power up it works great (in fact, I'm using it now) This has been going on for months.

I had posted about this before but received no replies.
Here is the post for more info:http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1038621317&postcount=8197

Any ideas?....Thanks RpM

just don't panic, read what we say, and try everything step by step.

first remove any and all sources of electromagnetism near your monitor. any electronical device near monitor: remove it. no radio, gsm, cables and whatnot near it. i really hope its not the NORTH pole electromagnetic field that is causing those glitches.

then turn on monitor alone. if glitches occur: stop with test.. your monitor itself is damaged.

do a degauss trough the screen's OSD.

if monitor works fine if turned on, turn on computer as well. if you see glitches BEFORE windows fires up and before you get past the bios screen startup, it is likely your video card that has faults. it can be the port.. try removing cable from computer, cleaning it, and put it on tight. you can get green image and whatnot if one of the pins of the connector is broken. if you use a dvi to vga adapter.. check it for faults.

if none of this is the case and the glitches only appear on windows dekstop: put cleartext off in windows calibration. it causes fuzziness on CRT (windows 7 assumes all users are on flat screens i think :))

if none of the above works and your screen still turns orange sometimes for a flash.. try opening your desktop case and kindly tap the video card in its slot. if you see glitches when you do it.. then its the video card itself that is the cause.

this is all assuming you installed latest video card drivers, directx and a good gdm-fw900 driver...

i'm a real tech noob, but most of the above should be right (slap me if not).

i hope for you the glitches don't occur when monitor is on without a video signal from computer.. looking at your mp4 it looks as if you tried that. if it gives same flashes without the computer on the screen got damaged during transport. in that case its an issue between you and Uncle Vito or the carrier he used.. check your liability then for the contract he offered.

Last edited:
i recently bought a fw900 from unkle vito and i am happy with the picture on it however it has been showing alot of problems and i am afraid it might die

when i first started it it showed this (i had my dads iphone ready to capture the moment of the very first start)

http://speedy.sh/9558h/fw900.mp4

after that it has just been getting worse and worse here are a few problems

extremely blurry before warmup i know it's normal that it's blurry when starting cold but this one is so blurry you can't read text

weird focusing problem where the picture goes in and out for a moment

same weird flashes as shown in the video a few days ago it also also showes big uneven green lines in the picture (i have seen this problem before on an ibm monitor my dad used to have a friend said it is related to g2 voltage

this morning when i started it it flashed blue two or 3 times

all these problems only show when starting from cold it has never showed any issues when warm

then theres really bad convergence problems where windows and the edges of the screen is red or blue or anything i was told this is normal but is there any way to adjust it to make it less noticable? fir exanoke tex in this forum has a slight hint of red ontop of it

i contacted vito about this and he says my electricity damaged it because europe/sweden uses a different type of voltage does that mean i can't use a fw900 in my country?

so my question is what should i do?

should i disconnect it and stop using it for now?

i don't even know whats wrong with it or what happpened with it it really makes me sad seeing how much i spent to get it here only to have it break down first start of it

i am trying to be calm about this but i don't know what to do

Let me tell you what happened when I bought a FW900 from Unkle Vito on eBay.

The one I purchased he said was Grade A plus and upon him taking the back off and looking inside he determined that it had VERY low hours on it and could have possible been new.

SO I was very excited to get it. Get it delivered and is in mint condition.

The monitor dies on my 3 days later..... 3 days. Unkle Vito gives me his phone # and we talk on the phone. He basically says that my power in my house killed it. That these monitors are very sensitive to un-clean power.

The short of it was I lost out on a nice $1k for a dead monitor. Eventually gave it away.

These monitors are amazing when they work but if your going to buy one on eBay for $800-900... I would only do it if you can see it in person.

I feel your pain and hope you can get it fixed.

Please note, this is in no way trying to BLAME Unkle Vito for what happened. Sadly these monitors are finicky and OLD. Unkle Vito offered to look at my monitor and pay to ship it back to me but at the time I didn't have the large sum of $ to ship it back to him ( across country).

Last edited:
Well I know Vega bought at least three FW900s from unkle vito and all of his were perfect. I dunno, sounds like you may just need to wait it out and see if the monitor continues on living. I think it would actually be cheaper to fly unkle vito out to sweden and put him up in the Grand Hotel Stockholm with exceptional female company versus the combined costs of shipping it back to him for examination and then him sending it back to you again. Ohhh Vito could be an international man of mystery traveling to foreign lands fixing FW900s and bedding the ladies like 007 ;-)

The one I purchased he said was Grade A plus and upon him taking the back off and looking inside he determined that it had VERY low hours on it and could have possible been new.

The monitor dies on my 3 days later..... 3 days. Unkle Vito gives me his phone # and we talk on the phone. He basically says that my power in my house killed it. That these monitors are very sensitive to un-clean power.

The short of it was I lost out on a nice $1k for a dead monitor. Eventually gave it away.

These monitors are amazing when they work but if your going to buy one on eBay for $800-900... I would only do it if you can see it in person.

Please note, this is in no way trying to BLAME Unkle Vito for what happened. Sadly these monitors are finicky and OLD. Unkle Vito offered to look at my monitor and pay to ship it back to me but at the time I didn't have the large sum of $ to ship it back to him ( across country).

he offered to pay me to send it back aswell so i guess i have to

i started the monitor today and it flashed to a completely blue picture with light blue lines in it while doing so the picture moved in and out

then it stopped like it never happened

and it didn't happen instantly as soon as i started the monitor it started out fine then waited like 5 seconds and it wen't blue with those lines then it stopped and now it works fine

what are these problems?

i don't even know whats wrong

if it was my electricity then why does it only happen to this one?

i had several different trinitrons connected in my room

and none of them showed any problems

however i had a 2001 model a few months ago but there was no knowing when it would die considering i had it for years

it just died 2 months ago so i had to use a different one and used my p1130 which worked fine

and sadly i did not lose 1000$ i lost about 5000$

he offered me to send it back at his expense
-------------------------
Send it back to me and I will check it out... I am offering you the service for free. I will ship it back to you at my expense. I am giving you this option as a courtesy.
----------------------

so i will do that as soon as i can i am thankful that he tries to help me with this

yes i am happy with the picture it produces but i am not happy with the problems it is showing everytime i start it up

i am trying to be as calm as possible about this as i don't want to cause an arguement about it

if i were to be honest about how i feel then i would say it completely different but i know what you did for me to get this one and how much you helped me before i don't want an arguement about this so i am trying to be as calm as possible about this

the reason i asked about the focusing knobs was so that what i said wouldn't look like a complaint so i mentiond if i should adjust them if i didn't then it would look like a negative complaint about it being blurry

i just don't want that i tried to keep it to myself what i feel about this

i to be perfectly honest was dissapointed when i got it as it is slightly darker then my old one so i was never happy about that part but i kept it to myself when you told me that you never removed the antiglare as you told me you would i got happier as then that means it can be ALOT brighter then it is now if the antiglare wasn't on right now then i wouldn't be very happy about the picture as it is slightly dark to me but i kept it to myself

i am not amazed by the picture as i want it brighter i as mentiond wanted to keep that to myself but when i found out the antiglare still was on i got alot happier with it as it already shows a very bright picture for having a antiglare which means if i remove it i will get exactly the type of amazing picture my old fw900 had before it died

so yes i am very happy with the picture

i have known you for so long and i knew what you wen't through to get me this monitor i tried to keep how i felt about it to myself

i even tried to ignore the problems it was showing but when it did it a fourth time i knew something was wrong

try the d-sub port. use vga-vga cable and see if it works. could be a loose connection.

can it really be that simple? lose connection was my first guess the first time it did it well the first time it did it i thought it truly died but then i thought maybe it was just a lose connection so i started it up again and it worked

then i realized the problems it was showing was in the "no connection" screen which means it couldn't have been a lose connection as it wasn't getting a signal from the computer at that moment

i will have my dads iphone ready for next start or should i simply disconnect it and stop using it for now?

and turns out he can just pay to ship it back i litterally don't think i can afford to ship it to him i think it costs more then the monitor itself to ship it then theres the problem of packing it as me and my dad had to take apart the box so i could keep it so it needs to be stabled together first it is just folded like a paper right now

so far it works perfectly fine when warm it only shows problems the first few seconds it is started from cold then it acts like they were never there

Last edited:
@zzcool

Maybe that is a problem with "bad capacitors". He is new as said but capacitors can dryout if they were never used for many years from my knowledge. If vito tested it in his house, maybe he had other voltages and never noticed the problem with the bad capacitors.

I had a powersupply for a old pc which was brand new but broken because it was never used for many years! The capacitors are for saving the energy. Also how much did you pay for the monitor? I had shipped my monitor also but the shipping was only 50€. i dont think the shipping is about the whole monitor price. if so than vito would not have any money left from what you paid. with which service vito sent the monitor to you and what was the shipping cost for him?? Maybe you can use the same shipping servive he used to ship it to you.

Also about the dark image:
Thats normal. Were i had this monitor new, i thinked also that the picture is to dark! Look posts before... But now i think the pictures before on other monitors were to bright!! Also there is the antiglare as you right said! I have seen videos what much brighter the picture is without that! But i prefer to have the antiglare. Also you should set it every day 5 points or so down to a lower brightness and your eyes will not see much difference. its all about your eyes thats all. after 2 weeks now with mine fw900 i can see all details in the dark areas which before i cant never seen if the brightness was set to be real black.

Also you have the chance to go to a friend which has a more stable power source and to test it? also make more and longer videos. would be nice if you could make this videos with a camera which shows a very clear picture... i cant realy see the difference between broken picture and camera badness...

best regards
chris

ps: sorry for english, i am german.

pps: the best on your problem is that if you say your image is total perfectly after warmed up or else, that it can only a power supply problem, which should be the simple part in difference to the real brain electronic of the monitor the tubes and so on. i would tipp on the capacitors... Every person which can soldering should be able to change out this capacitors normaly... i did it many times with my mainboard in my pc. the costs for the capacitors are very low and if this ones are not really rare and common used than they are easy to get. but firstly check all other stuff! do not open it or so!

Also i dont know what you mean with bluryness... you mean the image is to bright? that problem i have also. but many said thats normal for every crt monitor... after 10 up to 30 minutes the picture should be perfectly.

Last edited:
@zzcool

Maybe that is a problem with "bad capacitors". He is new as said but capacitors can dryout if they were never used for many years from my knowledge. If vito tested it in his house, maybe he had other voltages and never noticed the problem with the bad capacitors.

I had a powersupply for a old pc which was brand new but broken because it was never used for many years! The capacitors are for saving the energy. Also how much did you pay for the monitor? I had shipped my monitor also but the shipping was only 50€. i dont think the shipping is about the whole monitor price. if so than vito would not have any money left from what you paid. with which service vito sent the monitor to you and what was the shipping cost for him?? Maybe you can use the same shipping servive he used to ship it to you.

Thats normal. Were i had this monitor new, i thinked also that the picture is to dark! Look posts before... But now i think the pictures before on other monitors were to bright!! Also there is the antiglare as you right said! I have seen videos what much brighter the picture is without that! But i prefer to have the antiglare. Also you should set it every day 5 points or so down to a lower brightness and your eyes will not see much difference. its all about your eyes thats all. after 2 weeks now with mine fw900 i can see all details in the dark areas which before i cant never seen if the brightness was set to be real black.

Also you have the chance to go to a friend which has a more stable power source and to test it? also make more and longer videos. would be nice if you could make this videos with a camera which shows a very clear picture... i cant realy see the difference between broken picture and camera badness...

best regards
chris

pps: the best on your problem is that if you say your image is total perfectly after warmed up or else, that it can only a power supply problem, which should be the simple part in difference to the real brain electronic of the monitor the tubes and so on. i would tipp on the capacitors... Every person which can soldering should be able to change out this capacitors normaly... i did it many times with my mainboard in my pc. the costs for the capacitors are very low and if this ones are not really rare and common used than they are easy to get. but firstly check all other stuff! do not open it or so!

Also i dont know what you mean with bluryness... you mean the image is to bright? that problem i have also. but many said thats normal for every crt monitor... after 10 up to 30 minutes the picture should be perfectly.

if it is just the capacitators should i stop using it for now or can it be used without any damage done to the tube itself

or does the tube go with them if they are broken?

if the tube is completely un affected by this then i'd be alot calmer knowing no matter how bad it gets the low hour tube won't get damaged in the process

today i started it up after it being off for about 2 hours but it never showed any problems this time

it dosn't ALWAYS show these problems just 90% of the time (meaning nearly always sometimes it dosn't)

and yes i am perfectly aware how much the antiglare blocks out brightness in these monitors

but vito and i had originally agreed that he would remove it so when i got it i thought it was removed so i got a little dissapointed by the fact that it felt darker then my old fw900 i had i thought it was my imagination that it felt darker (it is still bright but it felt darker) then when i found out he decided not to remove it i got happy

as that means when i decide to remove it i will get an INSANE increase in brightness and colors if it is this bright (it reminds me alot of my old fw900 that had no antiglare but it feels slightly darker) but if it is this bright with the antiglare then i can't imagine how bright and clear it will get without it

then theres small minor complaints like black not being completely perfect (black is completely black BUT it is a lighted black so you can very clearly tell at night that the monitor is turned on i expected it to look like it's turned off i guess that was unrealistic of me to think)

then my second minor complaint (that really had no point of being a complaint) would be that the black is greenish black before warmup i had bad memories with this greenish black thing as many old/bad monitors i have seen always have had a green tint to the black (either before warmup or constantly depended on the monitor) so i automatically associate that as bad my old 2001 model fw900 had a greyish black obviously it dosn't matter either way as it is just before warmup but greenish black is something that i don't love even though it goes away when it warms up it just gives me a bad impression of the monitor after having my other fw900 being a greyish black before warmup (please note none of it matters since it goes away when it warms up it is just a small thing i think)

then theres the convergence thats also a minor complaint but i guess it is normal but edges of windows and the edges of the screen all are colord it is not that pleasent when using it for desktop use but it is not a big problem just not fun to see text for example in this thread has a shadow or red or something at the top (top of letters are slightly red)

but i am pretty happy with this monitor looking past the problems and minor complaints so i want to get it fixed

Last edited:

I remember this one... If it had 200 hours of use, I would had been surprised. I remembered that I sent you pictures of the inside of the unit before you purchased it, and I am glad that you verified that it was as advertised. I did offered many times to you to repair it for free and send it back to you at my expense, but you did not take the offer.

All high end monitors as well as high end electronics that experience power surges such as peak voltages or any other surges are susceptible to damage. It is stated in every user's manual, but this warning is often ignored. That is why voltage regulated UPS are highly recommended.

I am not trying to justify and/or blame anyone as to why this particular monitor died as I did not have the chance to troubleshoot it, but I can attest that all my monitors, and I have sold over 10,000 of them all over the world, go thru an strict QA/QC process before they get shipped out. In addition to this, I go thru a process of photographing the entire testing session which will serve as proof that the unit is 100% functional before it gets shipped. Furthermore, I WATERMARK all the internal components, including tubes and boards...

As I stated in several blogs, in my practical experience, 99.5% of the issues with my monitors after they leave my hands are due to user's interface. What I mean by that is users twicking, altering the calibration settings, opening the unit and removing/changing components, making unauthorized adjustments, tampering, resetting the EPPROM, using poor quality unshielded cables, having EMF and electromagnetism at their studios, using interruptible electricity power sources, sudden power surges/voltage peaks... etc.. I can go on and on and I have seen it all...

In all cases, I am ALWAYS willing to serve my customers and assist them with the issues they experience with the monitors and they can always ship them back to me for inspection/troubleshooting. There have been a handful of these cases, and I have always fixed/corrected issues as long as the monitors come back the same condition they were sent out.

Lastly, these are the main reasons as to why I stopped shipping my monitors, and if you can see my adds on eBay, I state: "LOCAL PICKUP ONLY.... NO SHIPPING..." It means, come to see it, test it until you are 101% satisfied, then take it with you. I have had a large number of clients who opt for will call pickups and left 101% satisfied with their purchases.

I hope this clarifies my position...

Unkle Vito!

@zzcool

best regards
chris

The majority of the issues with bad caps are PSU related. Jonathan's monitor was tortured tested and it passed all the Sony factory specs tests at 99.9%. But voltage differentials, peak voltages and power surges can easily damage electronics. I have sent him again the actual pictures of the unit, as it was being tested, before it was shipped. He acknowledged them. It was flawless and fully functional.

Like I mentioned to Jonathan, I offered to check out the unit and pay the shipping/packing (about $1,300.00 USD) back to Sweden.

Hope this helps...

Unkle Vito!

i actually am impressed by your shop practice unkle vito.. i would love to see your workshop :)

you make "pick up only" actually sound professional. Its sad to see so many of your babies get damaged by transport or by your customers themselves. I wish i had a guy like you in my area for eventual repairs to my fw900.

i'm curious, do you know how many fw900 you actually refurbished and shipped in all these years? and how many you still got in stock?

@zzcool: i still don't quite get what the problem is. If the fw900 gives a good picture after 15-30 mins, why send it back? For all you know, all the problems go away after a few days. It might have gotten a smack during transport.. but in my experience this old tech is very sturdy and can start working perfectly again after while. I'd turn the monitor on for an hour a couple times a day and see how it evolves.

Like I mentioned to Jonathan, I offered to check out the unit and pay the shipping/packing (about $1,300.00 USD) back to Sweden.

What the fuck! $1,300 USD for shipping about 50kg from one country (USA) to a other (sweden)??? With what to hell you are shipping??? Thats about 1000€ for one way shipping??? In Germany you can send a package about 50kg from 50€ or 150€ internationally??? What the hell is about that this shipping is sooo expensive??

http://ircalc.usps.com/?country=10406

Input your dimension of the package and destination sweden. I think larga package should be the right choice? I dont know the us dimension values. in germany it is KG and cm and meter.

Shipping a car from here Germany to USA is only about 1000 USD or 1000€. A litle monitor can not be much more... Also if vito had made pictures before, than it is possible to blame the insurance because of the pictues which shows that the monitor was in perfectly condition but AFTER shipping not. so you can get back also the money.

Last edited:
What the fuck! $1,300 USD for shipping about 50kg from one country (USA) to a other (sweden)??? With what to hell you are shipping??? Thats about 1000€ for one way shipping??? In Germany you can send a package about 50kg from 50€ or 150€ internationally??? What the hell is about that this shipping is sooo expensive??

Input your dimension of the package and destination sweden. I think larga package should be the right choice? I dont know the us dimension values. in germany it is KG and cm and meter.

Shipping a car from here Germany to USA is only about 1000 USD or 1000€. A litle monitor can not be much more... Also if vito had made pictures before, than it is possible to blame the insurance because of the pictues which shows that the monitor was in perfectly condition but AFTER shipping not. so you can get back also the money.

For overseas, Vehicles get shipped by sea. Rates for shipping vehicles via sea are much lower than Air. By the same token, monitors get shipped by Air Freight and it is VERY EXPENSIVE! For Air freights, carriers calculate the rate based on a formula using both the dimensions and weight. Is what they call "pallet space" on the plane. To me, it's just nothing but a ripoff. Please check DHL, FedEx and UPS for shipping quote of a box 30"x30"x30" with 150 lb. of packed weight, insured up to the full value of the monitor going to Europe from California, then tell us afterwards what you find...

Please note that I DO NOT OVERCHARGE SHIPPING EVER! I always send the customers the quotes I get from the carriers including the duty & taxes they will collect upfront! My shipping accounts get charged upfront with all these fees...

This is another reason why I stop shipping my monitors. Only if and only if the customer insists, then I will do it...

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

USPS does not ship anything over 70 lb. and nothing with large dimensions... Also, claims against the shipper must be filed within 72 hours when the issues are encountered. That is why I send with the monitors a set of guidelines (I do it inside the boxes and in a separate email). If the customer reads and understand the instructions (I repeatedly told Jonathan to do that), and follows them, the monitors will last them for a very long time, and occurrences can be resolved immediately and without delays. The last sentence reads: "If you experience any functional problems within the first 72 hours, PLEASE LET US KNOW IMMEDIATELY! If this would have been followed, the matter would have been resolved quickly and painless.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

Last edited:
@LAGRUNAUER

No, you missunderstanded me. I dont think its your blame or so. I am looking only for solutions for him. Hm, yes in USA and other countries there is a sick thing about crazy lbs or pounds values. we in germany have not this problems. I dont know how much pounds is the monitor. Offically his weight is 45kg und if the package/box weighes 5kg i would say its abou 100 pounds or? I dont understand why the shipping services are so crazy in this regions... Thats only sick. I never thinked that you get the money for shipping. I only blame the shipping service. I have read here very good reviews from your service und believe you but its realy sad what happened to jonathan. But the real badf thing is that he doesnt send you a mail in this 72 hours to blame whats up with the monitor :(

What did you think if you could make 2 or 3 packages from the monitor? The i think it would be possible the disasemply it and you assemply it than on your work. And after you found out what is the problem, than you disasemply it again and sent the 2 or 3 packages again to jonathan. i think the shipping from sweden to usa and back could than about the same which you wanted to pay for only backshipping to him, right?

And can you say again how you shipped the monitor to jonathan? I also have read about that oversea is much lower priced... And you did ship it with air or also with sea?

USPS does not ship anything over 70 lb. and nothing with large dimensions... Also, claims against the shipper must be filed within 72 hours when the issues are encountered. That is why I send with the monitors a set of guidelines (I do it inside the boxes and in a separate email). If the customer reads and understand the instructions (I repeatedly told Jonathan to do that), and follows them, the monitors will last them for a very long time, and occurrences can be resolved immediately and without delays. The last sentence reads: "If you experience any functional problems within the first 72 hours, PLEASE LET US KNOW IMMEDIATELY! If this would have been followed, the matter would have been resolved quickly and painless.

Hope this helps...

Sincerely,

Unkle Vito!

but i did tell you whithin those 72 hours

you told me you would watch the video but i never heard back from you about it so i thought it was fine then i find out you couldn't download it

i sent this to you the first day i got it

hi i just got my fw900 and it's great it reminds me alot of my old fw900 i guess that means my old fw900 was in perfect condition i litterally cannot tell them apart atleast from what i remember from my old fw900 only thing different with this one is that it has a much better black level anyway theres a few things

for example it is slightly blurry i guess i have to open it up to adjust the focus knobs (i know it is not a tex monitor but it is slightly blurry compared to my old fw900) it also has some convergence issues

though theres one thing i don't know if it's serious or not but when i was about to start my fw900 i wanted to film the moment of the first start so i used my dads iphone to record the very first start of it when i started it i first got slightly worried that the black was completely green not even my old fw900 did that when starting cold however i did realize it was a cold start anyway after that it started to flash since i have it all on video i have attached the video

at first i just lost it i thought the electricity in my room did the same as what happened with my old fw900 so i litterally lost it i then realized using a dvi to vga adapter sometimes tends to cause (i don't know what it's called in swedish but a very simple problem where you have to connect the cable much harder to make it go away it can for example cause the entire picture to go purple or any other color it is just a problem caused by the cable not being connected properly) after i realized this i tried to go start the fw900 again and this time it worked fine but then i realized about 2 hours ago that it couldn't have been caused by the display cable not being properly connected as the monitor did this in it's i don't know what you call it default menu? so i started to worry again since it wasn't even having a signal from the computer

so was this weird problem just something simple or is it something else? and is it caused by bad electricity or something i don't know

watch the video to see what i mean this video was recorded when i started it for the very first time i used the included bnc cable but since the power cable was (i guess american) i had to use a normal spare one i had laying around black normal power cable

i really didn't feel like contacting you about this this soon as due to being depressed i don't have the will to do much so i wanted to wait a few days but then i remembered you saying if theres anything contact whithin 24 hours so thats why i sent this now i really don't know why i was so calm about this but when i saw this i just lost it but it was so severe (to me) that i simply didn't want to do anything else then just lay down reason why theres the very calm huh at the end of the video i don't know why i was so calm about this

and i have to be honest with you i really don't expect you to beleive me that i conviniently have a recording of it i just hope that it's not a big problem but i do understand you if you don't beleive this and that you may think i did something wrong and that i am now blaiming it on this which i understand

it sounds very stupid to say this but i just don't want you to think that i am lying

let me know what you think about this and what it may have been caused by should i just disconnect it and buy a better power adapter (adapter being one that connects through one cable and that let's you connect several cables in it)

i really don't know anything right now

the video was uploaded through skydrive so let me know if you can access it hotmail suggested i would use skydrive to send it to you so i did

i don't want to be rude or anything.. but why do buyer and seller of refurbished fw900 monitors communicate in this post? is it cause buyer felt treated badly buy uncle vito PREVIOUS to posting in this thread?

please keep it civil people..

we only offered solutions to a problem someone had with a fw900. The rest is not this forum or this legendary thread's concern.

@zzcool: i really feel your pain. but do NOT overreact. You knew the risk when you ordered the monitor shipped around half the globe. It still sounds like a cable or dvi/vga convertor problem to me. Please solve the problem with uncle vito in private messages.. This thread is his PR, this is why he seems to be a bit ..uneasy if you take customer complaints to an online forum.

Last edited:
Did Uncle Vito not say that he would look at it and stand for the shipping?

Does Uncle Vito also have to justify why the postage is so much? I thought this was a thread about the FW900 and not QQing at the state of the postage system?

I think the only thing on topic about this are the possible effects of running at 230V, and the possible effects of being closer to the north pole...

i don't want to be rude or anything.. but why do buyer and seller of refurbished fw900 monitors communicate in this post? is it cause buyer felt treated badly buy uncle vito PREVIOUS to posting in this thread?

please keep it civil people..

we only offered solutions to a problem someone had with a fw900. The rest is not this forum or this legendary thread's concern.

@zzcool: i really feel your pain. but do NOT overreact. You knew the risk when you ordered the monitor shipped around half the globe. It still sounds like a cable or dvi/vga convertor problem to me. Please solve the problem with uncle vito in private messages.. This thread is his PR, this is why he seems to be a bit ..uneasy if you take customer complaints to an online forum.

i am sorry i was just asking for help on it hoping someone could help me

i give up i don't want to make him look bad i guess i should try to get it repaired if that won't work then i can't do anything i simply cannot afford to send it back anyway

i guess these things happen

i am sorry to vito for saying it here i know it's not his fault

i have contacted him to edit out everything i said then i will just leave it i can't afford to do anything about it now so i either have a choice to use it or not then try to find a repair shop hopefully it's the capacitators as someone here said

i just can't handle this right now

anyway i won't say anything more on it

Last edited:
come on, i'm really not convinced your monitor is *that* damaged.

reading your posts: you seem to be a person that really appreciates this old technology and paid a lot of money to have one shipped thousands of miles out of... nostalgy? You owned a fw900 before i read.

Don't get me wrong, we *DO* want to help. but first get your thoughts together and give some feedback on the solutions we offered. It might all be a very minor problem that you are having, and it might be resolved easily. just calm yourself down, and maybe give private messages to people that seem spot on in their observations.

@unkle vito: don't overreact also, that is my advice. you have been the source of many happy fw900 buyers. I can't believe many buyers actually received a monitor that got broken in shipping.. please reconsider your recent change in shipping options. i know its not my concern and i don't want to tell you what to do.. but please..reconsider. If i lived in USA i would at least want ONE seller that is dedicated and ships these babies refurbished across a state, the USA or the globe.

Last edited:
come on, i'm really not convinced your monitor is *that* damaged.

reading your posts: you seem to be a person that really appreciates this old technology and paid a lot of money to have one shipped thousands of miles out of... nostalgy? You owned a fw900 before i read.

Don't get me wrong, we *DO* want to help. but first get your thoughts together and give some feedback on the solutions we offered. It might all be a very minor problem that you are having, and it might be resolved easily. just calm yourself down, and maybe give private messages to people that seem spot on in their observations.

yes i do love crt monitors i have a dell p1130 a ibm p275 another dell p275 a sony g500 3 more sony gdm fw900's one of them being as far as i can tell dead

my 2001 model fw900 has been the best monitor i have ever owned it was amazing then one day it simply died

and yeah i will try to send a few pm's to people and see if they can help me with this if you want i can send a pm to you then maybe you can help

it can't be any cables as it only does it when it starts up

and i am battling depression right now so this just piled ontop of everything else hopefully it isn't anything serious that can be repaired but this really brought me down alot so i hope it's nothing serious

thankyou

Last edited:
Back