24" PVA that doesn't suffer from input lag?

f0rbez

n00b
I was really interested in the Samsung 245T and Dell 2408WFP until I learned about the bad input lag. Are there any other non-TN 24" panels that handle input lag better? Something around the same price range.

All monitors with PVA panels lag. If you're looking for the least amount of lag, get the DoubleSight DS-263N. It's one of the few non-TN monitors with almost no lag.

BenQ FP241W and VW are pretty good. They suffer from a lot less than the two monitors you've mentioned.

Not quite as good as the LG L245/246WP which is usually under 30ms, but not too far off. They are around 20 to 30ms faster than the Dell and Samsung. Average on the FP241W is 33ms and the VW is about the same unless you turn on BFI (which is useless).

Regards,

10e

The DS-263N seems like a budget monitor imo. Looks cheap and I'm sure it lacks features. It might be a great panel, but I'm not sure about the build quality.

10e: Of the somewhat available PVA monitors out there, would you say the LGs are the best? I've been considering the L246WP (if I can find one) and if its as fast as you say, I shouldn't have a problem gaming.

Speed-wise the L246WP is top-notch as far as VA type panels are concerned. For best connectivity the BenQ FP241s rule the roost.

I do believe that the Samsung based VA monitors seem to be the slowest, and the LG and BenQ's don't use Samsung (from what I know). The Samsung panels are slowest due to their stronger use of overdrive, evident in the inverse ghosting issues popularized on Dell 2407WFP-HC monitors.

If the BenQ's and LG have overdrive, it doesn't seem to be as strong. The reason Overdrive apparently slows things is due to the extra image buffering required to enable it.

Regards,

10e

The DS-263N seems like a budget monitor imo. Looks cheap and I'm sure it lacks features. It might be a great panel, but I'm not sure about the build quality.

10e: Of the somewhat available PVA monitors out there, would you say the LGs are the best? I've been considering the L246WP (if I can find one) and if its as fast as you say, I shouldn't have a problem gaming.
If you're willing to spend an extra $200 planar has the same panel as the doublesight but in a more full featured package.

If you're willing to spend an extra $200 planar has the same panel as the doublesight but in a more full featured package.

How is it a more full featured one?

It just has heigh adjustment a better stand, that's it.

The 1080p over vga actually works with the doublesight, and it has the A-TW polarizer.

And with the extra 200, you can buy a vga box type thing and use the extra 100 for something else.

I'm trying my best to keep the price down lol. I originally started with a 22" Hanns-G that sucked. I decided I wanted to go larger and better quality. I think I've narrowed it down to either the LG246WP, FP241W, or DS-263N. The first 2 are a bit of a pain to find.

I'm trying my best to keep the price down lol. I originally started with a 22" Hanns-G that sucked. I decided I wanted to go larger and better quality. I think I've narrowed it down to either the LG246WP, FP241W, or DS-263N. The first 2 are a bit of a pain to find.

And the third one is around $700.

The doublesight is better than the planar, as of recently, so don't worry lol.
I'm in a choice between the LG and the DS.
I think I'm gonna get the DS

If you have $700 to spend, you wont find a better picture quality than the DS 26" people have been talking about. It has an IPS panel made by LG, which is superior to VA in most ways. I have gone through more monitors than most, including a dell 2707WFP and a 2408WFP.. IPS panels like the DS have their issues, like backlight bleeding, but that really doesnt compare to the problems of VA panels....

for $700, theres no better monitor...

There's really no better monitor until the 24" NEC, but that might not be good for everyone gaming wise.

Unless you prefer a large screen size, but 26" already seems overwhelming to me.

You get use to the size eventually. At first I was overwhelmed by my Hanns 28" lcd. But, now I wish it was bigger.

ya going from the 27" 2707WFP to the doublesight was a shocker. In ways the doublesight seems SMALL now.

I am currently using the DS 26" Lcd and I have nothing but praise for the display. I have switched 6 panels (MVAs, PVAs and TNs) this year and this is by far the best. Fortunately I got one with a polarizer and back light bleeding is minimal. This is an H-IPS panel so the viewing angles are amazing. The colors seem quite vibrant. When I used to have an MVA based panel I used to notice yellow shades from an angle more than 40 degrees. PVAs suffer the same fate with a different dis-coloration.
There are plenty of options on the double sight such as DVI, DVI-d and a Usb Hub, although the stand isn't height adjustable but it's pretty solid.
The best part is that there's minimal lag, and for a CRT user, this panel seems to be the best option.

The LG246WPis your best bet if you can find one. Check your local CC and BB for possible clearance inventory.

There's really no better monitor until the 24" NEC, but that might not be good for everyone gaming wise.

Unless you prefer a large screen size, but 26" already seems overwhelming to me.

It'll only take a few days to get used to.....I have a 26 and look forward to getting a 30-32.

The LG 246 and the benqs mentioned by the other poster are indeed alot faster, that is because they are all using the same PMVA panel, these monitors are not SPVA they are PMVA and that is why they have such low input lag.

TBH my Soyo MVA doesn't seem to have any input lag... although I guess you'll have to do some tests, I play fast-paced games just fine, I honestly can't tell if there is lag or not.

BB has the LG246 for $600. I wonder if it is any better than the Lg W2452T that I picked up on sale for $450. The dynamic contrast the latter is higher. The LG 26 inch is on sale at BB for $550 at this time.

BenQ FP241W and VW are pretty good. They suffer from a lot less than the two monitors you've mentioned.

Not quite as good as the LG L245/246WP which is usually under 30ms, but not too far off. They are around 20 to 30ms faster than the Dell and Samsung. Average on the FP241W is 33ms and the VW is about the same unless you turn on BFI (which is useless).

Regards,

10e

I second that; No lag on this FP241VW.

BB has the LG246 for $600. I wonder if it is any better than the Lg W2452T that I picked up on sale for $450. The dynamic contrast the latter is higher. The LG 26 inch is on sale at BB for $550 at this time.

Yeah its better, way way way better. The W2452T is a 6bit TN panel.

My votes goes for the Doublesight 26", which is a lovely IPS panel with no lag, the L246WP(Also keep an eye for the L245WP, as these are infact often newer stock) or the FP241VW if the stand will fit on your desk.

Another nice thing about the BenQ is that they have made revisions that fix all of the issues that early adopters were having.

Thanks for the comments, I did not realize that this was a 6 bit panel. Since no real reviews were out there. I have returned the LG W2452T-TF because the Gateway FHD2400 has just gone on sale from $550 to $480 at BB's so I could not resist all the features. I exchanged it for the Gateway and enjoy the improvement in the color Gamut from the LG. My wife said she immediately noticed the difference. All the extra bells and whistles are just icing on the cake. If the W2452T was really better I would have kept it, in spite of the Cheesy Stand and Crappy buttons underneath that were quirky with their options and I could never get to work right. I downloaded F engine's 2 upgrades in the 2 weeks I had it. Waste of time tweaking it. The Gateway, was just $30 dollars more, a no brainer. This should be good until the next model comes out in 6 months.

Back